You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

Ideas for encouraging better play and teamwork with interface/xp changes

18 comments in this topic

Members
100 posts
2,505 battles

I think it would be helpful to provide rewards for actions which help your team, and prominently displaying stats about your teamwork on the battle results screen and in the statistics. Here are a few ideas for ribbons or achievements that could be added:

• Savior kill - Sink an enemy ship while that enemy is attacking an ally with low health.
  • Allied Concealment - Rewarded when your smokescreen breaks the line of site between an ally and enemy ship, returning the ally to concealment.
  • Forward Recon - Be the only ship spotting an enemy while that enemy receives damage from allied ships.
  • AA Cover - Using fighters or the defensive AA consumable, rattle enemy planes before they drop their payload on an allied ship. 
  • Damage Shield - Receive damage from a shell or torpedo which would have otherwise struck an allied ship.
  • Diversion - Attract the focus of 2 or more enemies away from an allied ship, such that the allied ship is no longer targeted by any enemies.
  • Flanking Fire - Deal damage to enemies who are firing at an ally, while not yourself targeted.
  • Point Offense - Damage an enemy ship who is inside a capture point controlled by the enemy.
  • Point Defense - Damage an enemy ship who is inside a capture point controlled by your team, OR damage an enemy while inside a capture point you control.
  • Counter Intelligence - Destroy an enemy ship who was keeping an allied ship spotted, returning the ally to concealment.

• Cool 10

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I love the idea, but some of those would be very difficult for the game to notice and reward. But I absolutely agree that many things that should be rewarded are currently not rewarded (or not rewarded enough). I would also like to see ribbons given out for more things that contribute to the game (which may convince more people to do them).

I think damage is too heavily rewarded in the current system (favoring some ships over others).

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,672 posts
12,094 battles

Interesting ideas but I see issues with abuse.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
1 hour ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I think it would be helpful to provide rewards for actions which help your team, and prominently displaying stats about your teamwork on the battle results screen and in the statistics. Here are a few ideas for ribbons or achievements that could be added:

• Savior kill - Sink an enemy ship while that enemy is attacking an ally with low health.
  • Allied Concealment - Rewarded when your smokescreen breaks the line of site between an ally and enemy ship, returning the ally to concealment.
  • Forward Recon - Be the only ship spotting an enemy while that enemy receives damage from allied ships.
  • AA Cover - Using fighters or the defensive AA consumable, rattle enemy planes before they drop their payload on an allied ship. 
  • Damage Shield - Receive damage from a shell or torpedo which would have otherwise struck an allied ship.
  • Diversion - Attract the focus of 2 or more enemies away from an allied ship, such that the allied ship is no longer targeted by any enemies.
  • Flanking Fire - Deal damage to enemies who are firing at an ally, while not yourself targeted.
  • Point Offense - Damage an enemy ship who is inside a capture point controlled by the enemy.
  • Point Defense - Damage an enemy ship who is inside a capture point controlled by your team, OR damage an enemy while inside a capture point you control.
  • Counter Intelligence - Destroy an enemy ship who was keeping an allied ship spotted, returning the ally to concealment.

Most of these ideas are actually very good.  "Forward Recon" is already rewarded in the form of spotting damage, but it would be nice to see ribbons piling up during the game and that alone would likely drive more players toward doing it.  "Point Defense" sounds exactly like the "Defense" ribbons that are already awarded though, unless I'm missing something.

One thing I would add, though--WarGaming desperately needs to add some form of ribbon scaling to the game already, so they'll stop obscuring the top portion of the enemy team list on screen...with any more potential ribbons added, that change would become mandatory.

• Cool 1

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
167 posts
18,192 battles
35 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

One thing I would add, though--WarGaming desperately needs to add some form of ribbon scaling to the game already, so they'll stop obscuring the top portion of the enemy team list on screen...with any more potential ribbons added, that change would become mandatory.

Aslain's ModPack can do this now.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
3 minutes ago, Daffyd9x said:

Aslain's ModPack can do this now.

Well yeah, except for a day or three after every single patch WG releases.:Smile-_tongue:

[808]
Supertester
870 posts
5,010 battles

I like the idea...but I wonder if enough people would actually pay attention to and attempt to earn these ribbons to have an affect on the game.  I mean look at how many people still try to save their ship when they are the last ship standing when it makes no difference in the cost of repair.  There are still a lot of people out there that don't know that it is now just a set cost essentially to play a ship, damaged, destroyed, or not.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
1 hour ago, InspGadgt said:

I like the idea...but I wonder if enough people would actually pay attention to and attempt to earn these ribbons to have an affect on the game.  I mean look at how many people still try to save their ship when they are the last ship standing when it makes no difference in the cost of repair.  There are still a lot of people out there that don't know that it is now just a set cost essentially to play a ship, damaged, destroyed, or not.

It couldn't hurt.  I mean, I think that there are a good number of players who have no clue about when they are the only ship spotting an enemy, and more than a few who understand the mechanic but just don't care.  Having ribbons pop up on their screen every time a friendly shoots that ship might alter the feelings of the latter and inspire a bit more research/awareness in the former. 

Something like the proposed AA Cover ribbon might swing both ways, though, helping in that it might inspire more carrier pilots to use their fighters to assist friendly ships (particularly if the ribbon comes with a noticeable XP reward), but it might also encourage even more passive play from those cruiser captains who already spend too much time in the back "providing AA support".  A ribbon like "Diversion" would provide positive reinforcement to battleship players who keep pushing forward in support of the smaller ships, or to destroyer captains who use their ship's small size and speed to draw attention away from more vulnerable allies.

I think the point is that all players notice the ribbon collection on their screens, and less experienced/skilled players probably pay the most attention to them as they pile up in game.  Getting that instant positive reinforcement for the less obvious ways they can help the team can't help but inspire more of that behavior, and having some new team-oriented achievements (with signal rewards) will definitely do so.

• Cool 1

[808]
Supertester
870 posts
5,010 battles
2 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

It couldn't hurt.  I mean, I think that there are a good number of players who have no clue about when they are the only ship spotting an enemy, and more than a few who understand the mechanic but just don't care.  Having ribbons pop up on their screen every time a friendly shoots that ship might alter the feelings of the latter and inspire a bit more research/awareness in the former. 

Something like the proposed AA Cover ribbon might swing both ways, though, helping in that it might inspire more carrier pilots to use their fighters to assist friendly ships (particularly if the ribbon comes with a noticeable XP reward), but it might also encourage even more passive play from those cruiser captains who already spend too much time in the back "providing AA support".  A ribbon like "Diversion" would provide positive reinforcement to battleship players who keep pushing forward in support of the smaller ships, or to destroyer captains who use their ship's small size and speed to draw attention away from more vulnerable allies.

I think the point is that all players notice the ribbon collection on their screens, and less experienced/skilled players probably pay the most attention to them as they pile up in game.  Getting that instant positive reinforcement for the less obvious ways they can help the team can't help but inspire more of that behavior, and having some new team-oriented achievements (with signal rewards) will definitely do so.

Personally I notice the ribbons...but I find the collections annoying.  But the real question is...would it help enough to justify WG dedicating some programming hours to do it?  That's what it will boil down to for WG.

Members
100 posts
2,505 battles
18 hours ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I love the idea, but some of those would be very difficult for the game to notice and reward. But I absolutely agree that many things that should be rewarded are currently not rewarded (or not rewarded enough). I would also like to see ribbons given out for more things that contribute to the game (which may convince more people to do them).

I think damage is too heavily rewarded in the current system (favoring some ships over others).

All of those suggestions are 100% doable, probably with minimal coding time. A system for rewarding players with ribbons is already in place, the server is already keeping track of how many players are aiming at a ship as well as visibility and concealment, and obviously it is also tracking damage. All the above suggested ideas rely on criteria that is already being tracked by the server anyway.

Beta Testers
1,963 posts
10,774 battles

Great ideas. But the game engine can't support those. /starting_rumor_to_excuse_wg

[WOLF9]
Members
4,010 posts

Great!   I would have won quite a few of those yesterday in one Duke of Pork game.

I tied up most of the enemy team for 7 or 8 minutes, while they all desperately tried to farm me. way over by the C cap on New Dawn.

Meanwhile the rest of my team wiped out every other red and took both A and B- generating a BIG point advantage.   Either this crowd didn't notice, or were too intent on blowing my ship up to even look at the map.

Had your new ribbon system been in place, I'd have ended the game with a nice big bunch of credits and XP, lol.   Simply trying to stay alive took most of my focus, and they were all clustered being the islands, popping in and out of view, so my damage sucked that game.   It took so long for that mob to kill me, I was tempted to taunt them in chat- in hopes of making one or more angry enough to pull a stoopid,  but thought better of it.

Cruisers I can understand playing it very safe when facing a BB capable of crushing you with even an HE salvo- but most of their BB's were hiding back there, too!   That really pissed me off as I was trying to do the 50k damage vs BB's in one game plus a win with DoY mission.   I couldn't even try for a ram...

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

WG needs to rethink the Ribbons/Rewards.

Less emphasis on raw damage.

More on Tactics & Teamwork { Operations is almost the answer}

Each battle should have an objective for each team.

One team capture point  A & B Other team Capture C & D  {Place Capture points just out of range of the enemy but access is in range}

When in the captured base you can't be sunk but can't fire at ships outside the base. If a Player stays inside the base for more than 3 mins he is done with the battle and sent to Port. Awarded with Mission complete but not a win. Rewards given are reduced for mission complete status. 

To win the battle your team MUST capture the assigned capture points or destroy the enemy fleet completely.

If a ship has been sent to port by over staying that team can't be destroyed completely. {Making the Capture More Important}

Capture Points are the main Payout awarded to the entire team. 20 min. battle limit.

Red team has control of Green team Caps and vise versa.

Just a rough thought that would thoroughly need tweeks to make playable and Fair. 

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback guys! I personally wouldn't mind seeing a few of these suggestions being implemented myself.