Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
senseNOTmade

DoY Balanced Critique

11 comments in this topic

[MIA-P]
Members
686 posts
6,892 battles

After long and deliberate consideration I have finally decided to present my carefully worded critique of the DoY:

Any discussion of the DoY must begin with its main armaments: the mighty 14" behemoths! These tier 5 pieces of donkey piss are the worst artillery I have ever had the misfortune of touching. I'm afraid that by merely breathing on these unholy demons of wretchedness I might, by accident, become infected by their putride disease of mediocrity and fail.

The dispersion on these things is so bad, that on multiple occasions my shells successfully straddled a broadside bismarck at 14km. Bow to stern.

Not that it matters much, because you only do 2k damage on a penetration. The only reason I managed the "get 5 citadels" mission was because cruisers were so unafraid of me that they kept running out in front of me. Maybe this is what is supposed to balance this ship? A turn-cruisers-into-idiots ray?

Then again, things were at least exciting, as with a low range, terrible firing angles and horrific turret traverse, I was constantly engaged in battle. A battle against my own ship, as I pulled and hauled these massive, obese, lazy, putride swine turrets to point somewhere in the direction of the enemy. 

This gets us on to the interesting topic of the DoY's maneuverability. Interesting, because the DoY doesn't seem to have any. I'm not sure what those designers in the royal navy were thinking, but in retrospect I think we can agree that, while admirable from an environmental perspective, the decision to use tissue paper as sails, both to turn the ship and to move it forward, was not a good one. Not least because it makes getting the blasted turrets to point in the right hemisphere that much more difficult.

But we shouldn't dwell too much on the negative aspects- there are things about this ship which should definitely be admired! Like the protected citadel! Too bad every same tier BB can bow-pen you, the superstructure is so large it feels like a net specifically designed to catch HE shells, and the heal is a token, bureaucratic place-holder of a heal.

Oh, and the concealment is crap too.

EDIT: Knew I'd forgotten something! Yes, the ice camo is also really ugly. To me it looks like it messes with the game's lighting engine, turning into a glowing lump of grey/white which obscures almost all the detail on the ship's base model.

Spoiler

In all seriousness, I need to ask: What is the playstyle of this thing supposed to be? There is not a single enemy BB against which this thing has the upper hand; it feels like a cruiser, but without any of the concealment, speed, maneuverability, torpedoes or small size which give cruisers options when dealing with BBs. It has hydro! What am I supposed to do with the hydro? This thing is too slow to dodge torps even when I spot them from 3km!

Disclaimer:

I'm not a big BB player, I don't have the KGV, but I do have the Nelson and Hood, and have played the DoY 8 times now in random battles. I got a WR of 50% in those battles, with 78k average damage (mostly thanks to those suicidal cruisers).

Edited by senseNOTmade
Edited because Lert is smarter than me

[HINON]
Supertester
21,518 posts
15,272 battles

DoY has 14", not 16".

[SYN]
Members
15,373 posts
12,506 battles

The concealment of DoY is pretty good for a T7BB

KGV has a quicker reload and one extra heal, which is invaluable when you get 10x 14" guns in T7.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,788 posts
7,767 battles

In all honesty, DoY is one of the worst ships you could buy right now.

Compare her to KGV:

- DoY has better raw AA, but KGV can equip a fighter plane so that is more or less equal
- DoY has Hydro, but KGV has one more healing charge. This equals each other out
- KGV has a significantly shorter reload
- KGV has a 2.5 second faster rudder

KGV is objectively superior in terms of combat performance.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,195 posts
9,171 battles
30 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

KGV is objectively superior in terms of combat performance.

Why is that a bad thing? Seems perfectly reasonable to me/

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,216 battles

Got the Icy camo for Scharn. DoY has been scrapped. garbage bote is garbage

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

DOY is great for hunting down CV's and DD's. It's also pretty easy to play aggressive with. Of course that's not what many players spend their time doing. DOY is a really fun premium and if people looked beyond the stats and how it compares with the KGV(a ship people who don't want to go down the British tech tree don't have), they'd see how fun of a ship it really is. Of course those attacking the 14 inch guns are ignoring that the KGV has them to. For those who don't like them, this configuration is great for brawling as you can shoot them all off without going broadside putting you in a great advantage in a battle as you can charge enemy BB's broadside almost 180 degrees and still be able to shoot off all your guns.

DOY is not the best T7. From what everyone on here says Nelson is OP(and I defer to their opinions having not played the ship, althogh when I made a poll on this for some reason Scharnhorst dominated)and KGV is more friendly to conventional playstyles than DOY. It is not the worst though, remember this ship was put on the market by WG specifically because it's better than another T7 premium and is marketed as such. So I'll give the critics Nelson and KGV, maybe even if the Hood if speed is really important to you but the Colorado, Nagato and Scharnhorst class? DOY is better than these ships and none of these get the same level of vitriol. 

[EGO]
Members
3,688 posts

You should be firing HE at Battleships. The AP is fearsome vs Cruisers, far less Overpens than other Nationalities. 

They overnerfed the ship, they should buff the reload or rudder shift. 

I like the Ice Camo. I think it shoudl absorb 1 Fire. (Just kidding)

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

I'm glad to have it.  I'm even more glad I didn't pay for it.

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
On 1/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, Aristotle83 said:

DOY is great for hunting down CV's and DD's. It's also pretty easy to play aggressive with. Of course that's not what many players spend their time doing. DOY is a really fun premium and if people looked beyond the stats and how it compares with the KGV(a ship people who don't want to go down the British tech tree don't have), they'd see how fun of a ship it really is. Of course those attacking the 14 inch guns are ignoring that the KGV has them to. For those who don't like them, this configuration is great for brawling as you can shoot them all off without going broadside putting you in a great advantage in a battle as you can charge enemy BB's broadside almost 180 degrees and still be able to shoot off all your guns.

DOY is not the best T7. From what everyone on here says Nelson is OP(and I defer to their opinions having not played the ship, althogh when I made a poll on this for some reason Scharnhorst dominated)and KGV is more friendly to conventional playstyles than DOY. It is not the worst though, remember this ship was put on the market by WG specifically because it's better than another T7 premium and is marketed as such. So I'll give the critics Nelson and KGV, maybe even if the Hood if speed is really important to you but the Colorado, Nagato and Scharnhorst class? DOY is better than these ships and none of these get the same level of vitriol. 

Your pretty right on in your evaluation and I will support that honestly the Nelson does feel OP to me compared to other Tier 7s anyway and the stats are supporting this from what I am seeing.  I figure it will be removed from the Tech Tree sooner rather than later and because of that it kind of should be removed form any Tier 7 comparison. 

That brings us to the biggest issue that the DoY faces and why it is so massively underrated even though it really isn't a bad ship, the KGV.  To put it bluntly if we take the Nelson out of the picture, the KGV is sitting at the top of the Tier 7 hill, by a significant margin, enough so that I feel that she will be reined in sooner or later.  She is just leaps and bounds above the rest of the Tier 7s and inevitably due to the fact the DoY is a sister ship of the KGV, she keep always getting compared to the KGV and not the other Tier 7s.   It is kind of like two sisters in high school.  One is absolutely gorgeous, the perfect 10 beauty queen while the other is only pretty, a mere 8.  Put them both in the same room and the mere 8 is always going to be considered the "Ugly" sister despite being pretty damn hot herself.  That is what DoY is having to deal with and why people persist in claiming DoY is garbage. They just can't wrap their head around the fact that the DoY is only bad in comparison to its OP or Near OP sister the KGV.  

Take KGV out of the equation and compare it to Hood, Colorado, Nagato, Schanhorst and Gneisenau and an entirely different picture starts to emerge.  It holds its own against Scharnhorst, a ship most consider an excellent Tier 7 and Hood while totally walking all over Nagato, Gneisenau and Colorado.   Those are pretty good stats  for a piece of garbage.  Is DoY a great ship?  Nope, she is pretty average to be honest, better some Tier 7s and worse than others but being average doesn't make her garbage, rather it just makes her balanced.

So yeah, people just need to stop with the DoY garbage talk.  

• Cool 1

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

I made the mistake of buying the DOY before reading the reviews. I figured, "Hey, I really like the KGV, so this should be similar, right?"

WOW, was I wrong.  A stock KGV is more fun than the DOY.   I was *Immensely* disappointed by her.  Sorely tempted to sell her, but i figured 'maybe WG will get a clue and buff this thing? It has been known to happen..."

Honestly, do not buy. If you got her free, and need the port slot, scrap her. Me, Ive got like 40 slots these days soooo... she can sit there and rust for now.

Sign in to follow this