You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SavageTactical

Map Strategy for TRAP discussion

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Last night I played on trap and got in an argument with a player on the best strategy. In my opinion, all things being equal BC is the best option. No one go to A until we’ve capped those or if the opportunity presents itself later in the match. Reason being is because those caps can support each other very easy and A is cut off from the other two. Another issue with A is you really don’t know what’s heading into there because of the tall mountains. Surprises are never good in warfare or this game.

The guy who disagreed with me had a high horse attitude, and argued that C was bad to go too but gave no alternate suggestion. He was sure to brag about his 62% win rate over 9k battles. To be fair he was telling the truth and got high caliber in the match. I’m no slouch but I’ll admit I’m not a great or world class player.

His explanation of why C was bad was the islands north of there provide cover. I disagree, because those islands are away from the cap, small, and tall. You can’t radar or shoot into the cap behind them. To contest C you have  to move away into the open to influence the cap at all. He lost all credibility with me since he moved into A. At that cap his arguments against C are even worse at A. 

The battle turned out to be a loss for us. 2/3s of our team when to A and capped it without killing any of their team there. The rest went to C and put up a lack luster defense. We capped it, but our entire team got killed there and they capped it and B. I push a bad position by soloing into B with my Akizuki and got killed early in the match - a bad play on my part. Center cap is always the most important on 3 cap point maps, but you can’t do anything if you’re dead. Our team pushed into B and killed all but 1 of their ships (we had 2 left); when the clock ran out we lost by 200 points since they controlled 2 caps for most of the match. 

Im not looking for vindication, but wanting to hear other strategies. I’m pretty stubborn and believe BC is the best plan for that map, but tell me what’s your preferred strategy for that map. 

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

First off, it depends on where your ships have spawned.

As a general rule, in domination mode games, the team that gains an early cap advantage is better positioned to win (assuming they didn't take unreasonable losses in doing it). Remember (depending on map) a flag generates 3-4 pts every 5-6 seconds that it is held uncontested. This adds up, and the longer the flag is held the better. It is also psychological, putting the enemy behind on points right away can cause some players to give up early.

Regardless of where the team spawns, I suggest sending at least 1 DD to every flag. Here's my reasoning. Most teams favor the 2 flag method (sending ships to only 2 flags). Let's assume that the enemy team is doing that. That means there's one flag somewhere on the map that you can pick up for free by sending 1 DD to each flag. Also, many players will run away from a flag if the enemy gets there first. So even if the enemy sends 3 ships to a flag that only has 1 unspotted friendly DD capping it, there's a chance they'll turn away and you get the free flag. Let's assume they don't turn away. Now your 1 DD can choose to fight or flee. 3 v 1 odds aren't good, but even if that 1 dd dies - it took 3 enemy ships to do it (meaning your team outnumbers the enemy at the remaining flags meaning you have a greater chance of taking those other flags).

The bulk of your team should focus on 2 flags. On Trap, those two flags should be the 2 flags that the majority of the team spawned near. Wasting time traveling across half the map hurts the team. If your ships are closest to AB, then attack AB (especially since the way spawning works it means the enemy was likely closer to BC). If your ships are closest to BC, then attack BC (since the enemy is likely closer to AB - yes having divisions does screw this up a bit). If evenly spread out, then i'd suggest attacking AC (remember this is in addition to sending 1 dd to every flag regardless). Ships at B can be fired upon from 3 directions (A, C, and enemy spawn).

In any event, if a BB goes to A or C, they MUST head towards B after taking their flag. Too many times they get passive after taking 1 flag and just sit there till the end of the game.

So, to summarize. I'd send 1 DD to every flag no matter what. The rest of the team should divide between the two closest flags. Also keep in mind the intimidation factor. No one is scared off by 3 BBs sitting behind an island, but players can be scared off by seeing 3 BBs charging right at them.

The first goal is to take the flag, second goal is to sink the enemy ships, but even if you can't sink them - an enemy ship running away is just as good. 

Now, a note about B... B is a hard flag to take early on and depends greatly on what the enemy team has done. if the majority of the enemy team is still behind the large island, then you can take B with relative ease. But if most of the enemy team is not behind an island, those taking B are extremely vulnerable. That's why I suggest AC if the team has spawned spread out evenly. If you can take A and C, the enemy at B is now in a crossfire with no cover. 

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,118 posts
12,178 battles

Wasn't in the match, but from your description, you lose because your team went A and C and the enemy team went B and C.  That is "the trap".  A split cap attack can work on some maps but really not that map when the enemy goes mid plus one other.  

Generally speaking a lot depends on the spawn, but the Northwest spawn is usually stronger at C, and the SouthEast is usually stronger at A.  However the Northwest spawn gets good island positioning to thwart the SouthEast strength at A, whereas the SouthEast does not get a similar chance to thwart C.  

Also from an attacking perspective late game, B is easier to attack from the A cap than from the C cap.  So if you go B and C, and lose B, you are up a creek often.  

Members
23,589 posts
5,963 battles

That's why they call it Trap. The furthest cap is the most inviting, but it's a trap!

Because the other team usually gets there first. Yes, the near cap has blocked visibility for you, but if you try, you will always get past that before the enemy gets to the cap.

If you're quick, you can cap A or C with little or no resistance, and be moving through it, giving yourself room to maneuver. If you need to escape, those initial sight-blocking islands now work in your favour.

Just did that in Shchors. We spawned on the west side, went for C. I followed our DD in there with hydro blasting, we avoided the enemy DD's torps, and drove him to retreat out of his smoke. (which was still outside the cap, that's as far as he got before he needed it) I used his smoke to screen me from his teammates, giving me time to slip through a gap to the north, before they could fire at me.

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,118 posts
12,178 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That's why they call it Trap. The furthest cap is the most inviting, but it's a trap!

Because the other team usually gets there first. Yes, the near cap has blocked visibility for you, but if you try, you will always get past that before the enemy gets to the cap.

If you're quick, you can cap A or C with little or no resistance, and be moving through it, giving yourself room to maneuver. If you need to escape, those initial sight-blocking islands now work in your favour.

Just did that in Shchors. We spawned on the west side, went for C. I followed our DD in there with hydro blasting, we avoided the enemy DD's torps, and drove him to retreat out of his smoke. (which was still outside the cap, that's as far as he got before he needed it) I used his smoke to screen me from his teammates, giving me time to slip through a gap to the north, before they could fire at me.

uhm Skpstr, I think you are confusing Shards and Trap.  

Members
23,589 posts
5,963 battles
26 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

uhm Skpstr, I think you are confusing Shards and Trap.  

Lol yes, yes I am! :Smile_teethhappy:

[SYN]
Members
15,367 posts
12,506 battles

I think it doesn't really matter which way you go, so long as it is optimal for how the team has spawned.

(example: DDs spawning at C ought to go to C, instead of A)

What is important on Trap, is that you maintain a constant support line so that the group in B doesn't get encircled and sandwiched.

IMO

dark.png

Edited by MrDeaf

[WOLF3]
Members
21,685 posts
19,928 battles

For those wondering, Trap is this map.

300px-Trap.png

Honestly, any strategy works on this map.  AB, BC, AC.  It's about aggressive movement and supporting the ships up ahead moving to the caps.  Once secured, quickly moving to the next fight.  The problem with this map regardless of the "strategy" which nobody ever agrees upon, is that this map heavily invites Lemming Play and hiding in a corner of the map.  If you have too many of those players, no amount of "best strategy" will fix that.

MrDeaf also brings up the very valid point that it also depends on how the spawns are.  For example, you are not pushing C in the NE without DDs or at the bare minimum, aerial scouting by CV.  Trying to be the Hero Cruiser for C and cap it will find you alone, outspotted by a DD, and under heavy focus fire, all while the BBs behind you with their heavier armor, bigger HP are turning around leaving you to your fate.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AP]
Members
1,243 posts
14,262 battles

i agree with A, it is also where i tend to go unless i spawn at C

1VXnHgL.png

this is what i think happens when you push down from C(solid line = ship movement, dash line = shells)

the 2 rock "wings" between B and C greatly restricts where you can be, but people from A side can fire at you from all angle, can cant possibly angle against them all

on the contrary, when you push up to C, you only need to angle against one direction: C cap

YhHvHRU.png

it's also a lot easier for cruisers to kite  in the open water between AB, and not to have movement restricted by the mountains between BC

same thing goes for wall of skill down the strait north of B

i pretty much view this map as a less extreme version of the center strait of two brothers