You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Super_Splash_Bro

[Writing] 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Rennell Island at Guadalcanal: A World of Warships Story

44 comments in this topic

YoaY2AH.jpg

USS Chicago

In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Rennell Island (January 29th & 30th) during the Guadalcanal campaign, we thought it would be interesting to see what our players would say if they were a sailor on the cruiser USS Chicago (CA-29).

On January 29th, 1943 a Japanese submarine put two torpedoes into Chicago’s side. In 150 words or less, send us a story of what it was like being on that ship before 4 Japanese torpedo bombers sunk her the following day. Some ideas, you could write a letter to a girlfriend/wife or family member back home. Also, you could write to someone about a buddy that didn’t make it (62 sailors were sadly killed as the ship sank) or a first-hand account of the experience.

For more information on this battle and the fate of USS Chicago, please refer to this link: http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/battle-of-rennell-island-a-fiery-end-for-the-uss-chicago/

Here are the rules:

1: All stories must be your own. All entries are subject to review. If we suspect copy paste from net, your entry will be invalid.

2: Your story must be no longer than 150 words and no less than 125 words

3. Please include a lead in photo of the USS Chicago cruiser with your entry, however this is not mandatory.

4: Family friendly stories only. Any questionable content that falls outside of the normal forum rules will invalidate your entry. 

5. Contest ends Friday, January 19, 2018 (RED AND BOLD) at 9AM Pacific Time.

Prizes: 

For 1-10 Quality Entries

• 1 Winner will receive 1 Indianapolis w/Port Slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos
  • 2nd - 4th place 5x each Economic Flags

For 11-20 Quality Entries

• 2 Winners will receive 1 Indianapolis w/Port Slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos
  • 3nd - 5th place 5x each Economic Flags

For 21+ Quality Entries

• 3 Winners will receive 1 Indianapolis w/Port Slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos
  • 4th  - 6th place 5x each Economic Flags
  • Cool 1

SuperNikoPower    4,474
9 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Thanks for running this, it looks interesting!  Can't wait to read entries.
A contest not run by Niko? Heresy!

Don't worry. I'll still be dropping some contests too. I'm just helping @Super_Splash_Bro get his community feet under him. I'd say he is doing a bang up job. 

And now onto the ornament contest. 

• Cool 1

MajorRenegade    4,280

do we have the option to chose a other premium ship if we already have Indianapolis?

nina_blain_73    218

150 words is mighty small for a war story...

31 minutes ago, SuperNikoPower said:

Don't worry. I'll still be dropping some contests too. I'm just helping @Super_Splash_Bro get his community feet under him. I'd say he is doing a bang up job. 

And now onto the ornament contest. 

Corgi Fleet, Corgi Fleet, Corgi Fleet....

Wolcott    442

Aww I was hoping the prize would be USS Chicago. I think the Northampton-class CA has been neglected quite long enough (it's not even in the planned USN cruiser split). :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Aww I was hoping the prize would be USS Chicago. I think the Northampton-class CA has been neglected quite long enough (it's not even in the planned USN cruiser split). :Smile_sad:

Sorry, the Chicago is not in the game. We went with the closest USN premium crusier we had available. Hence, the Indianapolis. No word on if the Chicago is even being considered as a playable ship in game. Keep checking the news portal for any updates or announcements though. Thanks for the feedback and good luck!

Sovereigndawg    655
37 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

do we have the option to chose a other premium ship if we already have Indianapolis?

I think they give you Doubloons in that case and the port slot and of course the camos.

• Cool 1

39 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

No, unfortunately, the contest is for an Indianapolis with a port slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos. If the winner already has the Indy, they would receive the full doubloon value of the ship as compensation.

Sovereigndawg    655
35 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

No, unfortunately, the contest is for an Indianapolis with a port slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos. If the winner already has the Indy, they would receive the full doubloon value of the ship as compensation.

Nothing wrong with doubloons, you can buy a tech tree premium with them. So in affect you do get a choice. Also it want's me to sign up for the web site to read more about the Chicago from your link. I don't really like to sign up on too many things, so I will post any other links I find on the battle and the ship. Thanks for this contest SSB.

1 hour ago, SuperNikoPower said:

Don't worry. I'll still be dropping some contests too

I'm up for a Corgi weekend any time You and the community are SNP. That's not so much a contest as it is an event though. Have ya ever thought of bringing the Corgi Fleet to EU, I have an account there too, or is there no, inter server fraternization. I am pretty sure that Europe likes Corgi's.

5a59102ccf211_Britcorg.jpg.201d6ab213cc76435a70c545e3922def.jpgth.jpg.5d932b6981e3ad593e418bd501dfa653.jpg5a59104a2554b_gentlemancorg.png.8c35dc9f0ad88dce5119eb3d7f9d9547.png

5a5910226cafd_QueenandCorg.jpg.9cbb31d1919823137142160b47aeed84.jpg The Queen will thank you and may even Knight you.

5a59131b9501f_GermanCorgi.thumb.png.7e0f3c4bc18c803050fbbd2d365b09b6.png German Corgis will appreciate it.

5a59131da987a_Irishcorgi.jpg.22dff423fce03199dfce75b15b1ebc41.jpg5a59132560626_irish-corgispup.jpg.6eadf097f63c1a3ec77038a6d3976fd3.jpg

And the Irish ones too.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Sovereigndawg    655
OtterWolf    377
1 hour ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Sorry, the Chicago is not in the game. We went with the closest USN premium crusier we had available. Hence, the Indianapolis. No word on if the Chicago is even being considered as a playable ship in game. Keep checking the news portal for any updates or announcements though. Thanks for the feedback and good luck!

I would love to see the USS Northampton as a Premium US Cruiser.... It was the lead ship of the class

SakeBreath    13

I do not recall exactly when the torpedos slammed into the ship. As the ship started to flood we all went to work fixing what damage there was and prevent any more leaking we lost some good men and friends that night. Morning hit and most of the crew was tired from working all night to keep the ship afloat. Before most of us could get anything to eat the alarm was sounded and all able bodied sailor went to their position. I was at my anti-aircraft position as wave after wave of planes kept coming as my crew mate struggled to keep her afloat and deck fires under control. Every time I fired my weapon into the sky at attacking aircraft all I could think about was saving my crew mates. Before I knew it the ship was caught off guard and then there was an explosion.

• Cool 3

2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I think they give you Doubloons in that case and the port slot and of course the camos.

Thanks for helping answer that. You are in fact correct! :cap_like: I appreciate the help.

CAPT_Rob    61

This entry is a bit over 150 words, sorry.  The character is an enlisted sailor writing home after being injured and is recovering aboard a hospital ship probably bound for Hawaii with the letter having to pass through the hands of wartime Censors.

Here goes -

"Hi Dad,

I'm sure you heard by now that I was hurt when we lost the ship, but I’m on the mend and safe aboard a hospital ship at *CENSORED* with a concussion, a few burns and two busted ankles.  Please reassure Mom that I’ll be okay, you know how she gets.

We were actually attacked twice and hit five or six times by torpedoes.  The old girl was tough but this was too much.

The first attack hit us in the bow and aft engine room.  We got the flooding and fires under control but couldn’t move so *CENSORED* took us in tow.

The second attack was by a large group of torpedo planes and we were too slow to dodge.  I was on deck manning a machine gun right above where we took a hit.  The first thing I remember was being pulled aboard *CENSORED* but not being thrown through the air and landing in the water.

Got to close now.  I'll write again when we get to *CENSORED* 

Love to you, Mom and Squirt"

• Cool 2

SuperNikoPower    4,474
1 hour ago, Battleship1987 said:

I have a 12page Navy War Damage Report for the USS Chicago , Hope some one finds this of use.

Uss Chicago.pdf

This is a great resource. Thank you for sharing this. 

Lochnivar    43

Letter to sweetheart found among the wreckage.

1280px-USS_Chicago_(CA-29)_underway_off_

January 28th, 1943

Dear Sarah,

I hope this letter gets to you before your birthday, but you can never tell with the post.  If it does, Happy Birthday.

The atmosphere on the ship is still tense.  Captain Bode has been particularly nasty since Savo Island.  From what we can tell, the higher ups are not happy with his performance.  He seems to be trying to prove something. 

There’s talk around the decks that Chicago is an unlucky ship.  Nobody says it too loud for fear the captain might hear it, but it’s there.  The torpedo that we took in Sydney seems to have rattled nerves.

Otherwise, things are normal here.  We celebrated Christmas and New Year the same way we do every year.  I did receive your package.  And no, I won’t let the other boys see you in that outfit.

All my love,

Signalman 1st Class, John Caleb Wright

• Cool 2

Wolcott    442

1024px-Torpedoed_cruiser_USS_Chicago_(CA

US sailor's diary entry for 30 January 1943:

"Betty bombers jumped us last night. Chicago is hit bad and she's dead in the water. One more torpedo and we're goners. A tug is towing us back to Espiritu Santo. Task force has left us behind with six destroyers.

Been manning the Chicago Piano all night. Ears are still ringing from AA fire. My duty is over but I told the gun captain I can work a bit longer. I asked a shipmate to get me some nice hot chow from the galley. No way am I having breakfast below decks in this condition. Better to be up here if she sinks. Wildcats flying CAP over us, but I'll feel safer when we reach Santo.

Guess it's another trip back to San Francisco for repairs. Damn, but we just got here!"

Edited by Wolcott
  • Cool 2

Lochnivar    43

Ok, clarification here.  Are we supposed to be writing something about BEFORE the battle or right before she sank?  From the other two stories, I get the feeling that I wrote mine with the wrong setting in mind.

kerensky914    1,047

Log entry 1400 Jan. 30th, Ralph Davis commanding.

In April I had a desk job at the Academy.  Now I wish I still did. I'd heard the scuttlebutt, but I've never believed in 'cursed ships'.  Chicago's last engagement cost my predecessor his command.  This one might cost much more.

We had orders from Admiral Giffen to sweep the slot, two lines due to submarines.  He didn't think they'd try night air attacks, but they're desperate.  Everything went well until our gunners downed some planes - the burning wrecks lit us up for their friends.  Two torpedoes left us without power or steering.  The crew's worked to keep us afloat, but if they come again, there's nothing we can do about it.  Commendations to the crew of the Louisville for securing our tow in total darkness.

Enterprise signals they have bombers inbound.  Time to earn our pensions - or letters home from Roosevelt.

0402906.jpg

Edited by kerensky914
  • Cool 2

RECOVERED FROM REMAINS:JAN.31.1943

XXXXXXX, XXXXX .  service number XX-XXXXXXX

FORWARD TO REGISTERED NEXT OF KIN

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Dad;

I do not have much time to write I will make it quick.  This is bad news but better to hear from friends.  Annie Peters lost her guy.  Let mom know.  She'll know what to do.  We took a couple hits a little while back. My division officer says submarine  torpedo's.  Peters was off duty in berthing right above where we took one. It was quick.  He did not suffer any.  I got a little knocked around and got a nasty bruise but am O.K.   But we  did take a bit of damage.  Every one is working on it, but we're not in a good place.  I'm not allowed to tell you anything beyond that.  Not in a letter any ways.  Who would have thought?. Graduating High School last year then off to the Navy after Pearl Harbor and right into the thick of it ever since.  It is tough but I am keeping my promise to you and grand dad about hating.  I have seen some bad stuff, and heard worse.  The Officer's and Chief's say I'm doing good and that I'm going to make grade fast and I am getting a merit promotion so they'll be a little extra money coming in.  You tell mom I want here to make sure Sally gets some birthday flowers from me next week.  Nothing to fancy that is if the town still has a florist.  I all ready have the letter written and it's going to Mom to give her with the flowers ok?  Don't forget.  I gotta get back to work now.  The ship is safe but we must finish patching her up a bit more to take her home.  If we go all the way state side I will see if I can swing some family leave if my duties allow it.  Bet money they just fix us up at Pearl and send us back out though.  That is what the chief is saying is most likely to happen.  He's usually right.

Your Son

Tom

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Cool 1

senseNOTmade    121

This is my entry.

Warning: contains some graphic descriptions of injuries. I don't think it's that bad, but I put it in a spoiler tab to be safe.

Spoiler

An explosion in the Engine Room

My foot is on fire. my large toe has been twisted; twisted back until it almost touches my ankle. I can still feel it- an island of calm surrounded by an inferno of pain as the shards of my fractured bones grate against each other and I scream.

I can feel the cold. The engine; usually boiling with manic power driving the ship forward, has been drowned in a dark trickle of icy ocean waters. The water reaches my feet.

Outside, I hear other men shouting. The blazing barrels of their 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors chase burning planes across the open sky outside.

The cool water soothes my burning foot. I still scream.

My hands; still blistered from my scorching toil, are lulled by the gently rising water.

I stop screaming as the water reaches my lips.

I try to listen to the thumping heartbeat of the guns, but soon after, my ears are closed as well.

The guns fall silent.

The pain is quenched.

The waters reach my nose. It trickles inside.

Does anyone have a picture of the engine room of the Northampton-class cruiser I could use? I tried to find one but so far have been unsuccessful. I'd be super grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

• Cool 1