You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Super_Splash_Bro

[Writing] 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Rennell Island at Guadalcanal: A World of Warships Story

44 comments in this topic

224 posts
3,167 battles
On 1/13/2018 at 8:55 AM, Lochnivar said:

Ok, clarification here.  Are we supposed to be writing something about BEFORE the battle or right before she sank?  From the other two stories, I get the feeling that I wrote mine with the wrong setting in mind.

It can be a first hand account before the 29th when the Chicago was torpedoed and eventually sunk. Use your imagination and best judgment, I apologize if that was not clear but I wanted to leave it open to our community and how they interpret it. This allows for more creativity. I'm really impressed with what I have read so far. Well done! :cap_like:

224 posts
3,167 battles
20 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

This is my entry.

Warning: contains some graphic descriptions of injuries. I don't think it's that bad, but I put it in a spoiler tab to be safe.

Hide contents

An explosion in the Engine Room

My foot is on fire. my large toe has been twisted; twisted back until it almost touches my ankle. I can still feel it- an island of calm surrounded by an inferno of pain as the shards of my fractured bones grate against each other and I scream.

I can feel the cold. The engine; usually boiling with manic power driving the ship forward, has been drowned in a dark trickle of icy ocean waters. The water reaches my feet.

Outside, I hear other men shouting. The blazing barrels of their 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors chase burning planes across the open sky outside.

The cool water soothes my burning foot. I still scream.

My hands; still blistered from my scorching toil, are lulled by the gently rising water.

I stop screaming as the water reaches my lips.

I try to listen to the thumping heartbeat of the guns, but soon after, my ears are closed as well.

The guns fall silent.

The pain is quenched.

The waters reach my nose. It trickles inside.

Does anyone have a picture of the engine room of the Northampton-class cruiser I could use? I tried to find one but so far have been unsuccessful. I'd be super grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

You're good but I appreciated you doing that since kids do have access to the forums. From your description, it proves the saying that "War is Hell". Powerful!

[NDA] kerensky914 1,099
3,853 posts
1,218 battles
23 hours ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

Man you have no idea how restrictive 150 words is.

You ain't kidding.  My first draft was about 250. :P

3,409 posts
7,448 battles

Entered:

Spoiler

rBrxihA.jpg

Diary:

What a horrible day.  Can't believe Chicago is lost!  Last night we were somewhere off Australia when we were attacked by planes.  Being attacked by planes in the dark was terrifying.  We got hit by a pair of torpedoes, but after hours of work we thought we had saved her.  Help arrived this morning, but we were attacked again.  I don't know how many torpedoes hit us that time, but I was slammed hard against the bulkhead twice.  It felt like I was inside a barrel that was hit by trucks!  The boat listed hard and I knew we were in real trouble.  Still, I worked until the order to abandon ship.  Jumping off our crippled ship into the sea was surreal.  Thank God Navajo was nearby!  It was sickening to see Chicago roll over and sink.  Some of my friends are still missing.  Can I survive this war??

Edited by desmo_2

1,527 posts
On 1/15/2018 at 5:25 AM, Atom_Alchemist said:

Man you have no idea how restrictive 150 words is.

It's possible if you keep in mind that "less is more".

• Cool 1

[ANZAC] HyperFish 177
502 posts
3,787 battles

I hope this is acceptable. It's titled "Far Away from Illinois".

147 words including the title.

The lead in picture is USS Chicago in Sydney Harbour, Australia, in 1941. The other side of the world from home.

Spoiler

image.png.8d33c37ad712d3e2b8df7ac699460254.png

Far Away from Illinois

Deep beneath the warm Pacific,
Well beneath the surface noise,
Rests the USS Chicago,
Far away from Illinois.

Born in April, Nineteen Thirty.
Lost in Jan of Forty Three.
Twelve faithful years of tireless service,
Then Seventy Five years under t' sea.

They came for her as sunset faded,
With flash of fire and roar of thunder.
It took two strikes to knock her down,
But took four more to knock her under.

She struggled, bedraggled, for a night and a day,
Till the final torpedoes, and the order was made,
To abandon Chicago to her untimely grave.

Thou overshadow'd by time and distance,
By six long years of global strife,
We won't forget the tough Chicago.
We can't forget the sacrifice, for

Deep beneath the warm Pacific,
Resting on the ocean floor,
Sixty Two souls stand watch eternal,
Far away from Illinois.

• Cool 7

[FLNVY] IDAMAN_04 0
1 post

Here goes nothing...

Dear mom, I don't really know what to say. 

Its been pretty rough the past few days. on the 29th, Chicago took two torpedoes, both in our engines. 

Our damage control team was pretty good at fixing the flooding and damage,  and the louisville helped tow us. We all thought she would fight once again.

The next day though, as you've probably heard, The enemy attacked us again, and we took four more torpedoes. We were sinking, and everyone knew it. 

We were flooding bad, and we all loaded into life boats. A couple of my closest buddies i've just recently met drowned as the ship went down. I'm glad i'm alive.

I hope to see you soon. Say hi to Dad and Margaret for me.

Jimmy

Image result for uss chicago ca-29

Edited by IDAMAN_04

270 posts
4,263 battles

Okay, here goes nothing:

Spoiler

Screenshot_3.png.6301f57ad457600aa437f4a6a0869c29.png

Mark, my oldest friend, it is with fear that I write you this letter.

For over ten years I’ve served on board of the USS Chicago, and during this war many were the times the life of this ship and her crew were threatened. I remember, almost a year ago, when a Japanese submarine launched two torpedoes at us, and this ship remained intact.

Today, however, lady luck wasn’t on our side, and another submarine attacked us. Two explosions left the crew astonished. Now we’re being towed by USS Louisville. Having to deal with the flooding and holding this ship together, as she has so often held our crew over the last decade.

We fear the Japanese won’t let us get away with just a wound. They will hunt us down, but we won’t go down without a fight.

If I die here, I hope you’ll never forget our friendship.

I like writing contests. I'm far better at writing than I'll ever be at drawing. Love the variety of contests around here. Keep it up! :Smile_medal:

Edited by Captain_Benevolent_Fair
  • Cool 2

[TBW] Sovereigndawg 687
3,623 posts
9,840 battles

A year after the War a Japanese fisherman found a sealed jar with a Ring, a Gold Watch and a letter. The letter gave instructions to please sell the Watch and forward the rest of the contents to a US Address and to keep the proceeds. The rest of the letter simply said;

Darling Wife, If I don't make it home, I hope the symbol of our love My Wedding Ring, finds it's way to you. I hope the baby is a boy. Can we name him Efford, after Grand Dad? Gotta go things are happening again. I hope in with all of my being That you never have to read this letter, but if you do let the kids know I did this for them and love I have for them.

I love You and have never stopped thinking of you.

The old man had lost a son in the war (a Pilot) and was a very humble and compassionate man so he forwarded the package to the Address, with all of it's original contents carefully placed inside the barnacle encrusted jar. The day that it arrived in the widows hands, he got word that his son, was found alive, and was on his journey home.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

224 posts
3,167 battles

Just a friendly reminder... All written entries must be submitted no later then tomorrow, Friday January 19th, 2018 by 9am PST. Winners should be notified sometime early next week. I appreciate your participation and patience. I think this was a great way to remember Chicago and the 62 men who heroically gave their lives. Anchors Aweigh!

[AFW] JACS_JOKER 3
16 posts
7,202 battles

Nicely done Splash, great idea. To the contestants a hardy "Well Done". The pieces submitted have been a lot of fun to read and thought provoking. Good luck entrants.

• Cool 1

58 posts
580 battles

So this is how it ends...

We were so close at the beginning too.  Hearing about the attack and looking for those dirty *ahem* bastards who bombed Pearl. 

Unlucky then and unlucky now I guess.   

Then what happened at Guadalcanal in '42 and how we were able to get home an patched up.  Just to come back here and...ugh I feel sick.  It just doesn't seem fair.     

It all seems like a bit of a bad joke thinking about it now, as Im jumping on to this destroyer, watching my beautiful Chicago go down.  Who would have thought that we could bring her back from the brink, ARGGGH we were so close!  If only we had been a bit luckier and not been spotted.  I'm going to have to write my folks the enemies lies will be all over the radio soon. 

• Cool 1

224 posts
3,167 battles

Ok so we have the results for the story writing contest for USS Chicago. I was blown away by the creativity and imagination put into each and every submission. Some were really good but went over the word limit so to stick within the rules I had to not consider those as finalists because it was really so close. That's why I awarded the Top 3 with a ship, port slot and 10x Sci-Fi camos.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and congratulations to all of our winners.

Without further ado, here are the Winners:

1) HyperFish with the poem to Chicago entitled "Far Away from Illinois"

2) desmo_2

3) calidrifter

Each of you have received an Indianapolis with port slot and 10x Sci-Fi camouflages. Way to go!

These three players (4th to 6th) received 5x each of the Economic flags.

4) Lochnivar

5) Wolcott

6) Sake Breath

Congrats again to all of our contestants and players. Good luck and we will see you all on the high seas.

• Cool 4

224 posts
3,167 battles

Sorry guys! The thread was accidentally locked. Thanks again for participating and congratulations to all the winners.

[SEAMN] SakeBreath 13
146 posts
7,704 battles

thank you for the fun writting event.

the stories were a fun read, congratz to all the winners

• Cool 1

[-K-] SeaRaptor00 509
1,878 posts
7,682 battles

I just have to say: @HyperFish, that was beautiful.  A well-deserved win.  Congrats.

• Cool 2

[12-AF] senseNOTmade 170
341 posts
3,563 battles

Congratz to the winner! A poem was the perform format given the restrictions of the contest, and you executed it beautifully.

If anyone is interested, this was my original entry before editing:

(gore warnings apply again)

Spoiler

Explosion in the Engine Room

My foot is on fire. My large toe has been twisted; twisted back until it almost touches my ankle. I can still feel it- an island of calm surrounded by an inferno of pain as the shards of my fractured bones grate against each other and I scream.

I can feel the cold. The engine; usually boiling with manic power driving the ship forward, has been drowned in a dark trickle of icy ocean waters. The water reaches my feet.

Outside, I hear other men shouting. Fiery commands and fevered instructions as the blazing barrels of their 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikons chase burning planes across the open sky outside. But in here it is dark.

The cool waters sooth my burning foot, numbing the pain in blessed coldness. I still scream.

My hands; blistered from the scorching toil of working in the engine room, are soothed by gently rising water. 

I stop screaming as the water reaches my lips. My hoarse throat has never felt such relief.

I try to listen to the thumping heartbeat of the guns, but soon after, my ears are closed as well.

The guns fall silent.

The pain is quenched.

The water reaches my upturned nose. It trickles inside.

I tried editing it down to the word limit, but felt that reducing it down any further would destroy the ideas I was trying to convey. Upon reflection I should have tried a little harder to at least give myself a shot at the prizes :Smile_teethhappy:. Then again, I fully understand why you'd want to have a restrictive word limit, Super_Splash, given that you actually had to read/appraise all of them.

[4HIM] Morpheous 148
747 posts
7,350 battles

Missed the contest, but ....

Hey Pops,

You may hear the old Chicago got torpedoed, and hopefully the War Department didn't screw this up like they did with Bucky's parents getting that missing in action report.  I am fine, Bucky though did get hurt, we lost some good boys this time around.  We had some laughs in the time of sorrow, because poor Bucky got some metal shrapnel in his behind, and it was HOT, you should have heard him yell and run around looking for something with water to stick his bum into.  We had to chase him down and tackle him, with so much going on we had no idea what to do, but Cookie saw Bucky flying up the ladder by the galley from the engine room, screaming that his [edited]was on fire.  Cookie showed up and dropped a platter of ice cream right over that wound, I guess it helped cause Bucky stopped yelling, but it sure was a waste of some good ice cream!  Love,  Jimmy

Chicago.jpg