You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RaidenEiBaal

WHAT IS A POI?!

29 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
[T3I0F]
Members
309 posts
10,957 battles

5a58b7a9aa26a_3981.thumb.png.23c964963be58717997879d99d987918.png

I might be an anime fan, but what is a poi? I see people type it in chat and I'm like...what?

(also that front ship is totally my reaction to poi)

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

The Kantai Collection character Yūdachi, a Shiratsuyu-class destroyer, has a verbal tic were she'd say "poi" at the end of her sentences a lot. She is a popular character from it and thus it made its way to WoWs a long time ago.

• Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,076 battles

I'll go ahead and post this before someone else does...but I don't get the 'poi'.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles
21 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

5a58b7a9aa26a_3981.thumb.png.23c964963be58717997879d99d987918.png

14 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

112.thumb.png.956f418ebabebf51aa9a4838d99eee92.png

Gah! I was going to post that. +1 though sir.

But Yah it is like Doomlock said below.

5 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

The Kantai Collection character Yūdachi, a Shiratsuyu-class destroyer, has a verbal tic were she'd say "poi" at the end of her sentences a lot. She is a popular character from it and thus it made its way to WoWs a long time ago.

'Poi' is Yuudachi's verbal tic/catchphrase. Like how Kongo sometimes says things in English or Atago's 'Pan-Pakkka-Pan!'. For Yuudachi however it has a secondary meaning as the Kancolle Wiki states;

~poi in Japanese means "maybe", "perhaps" or "seems like", it's something you throw in the end of the sentence if you aren't too sure of the result and end up concluding the sentence by guessing. The main reason behind Yuudachi's speech pattern is because no one actually had a clear record of what she actually accomplished in the Guadalcanal Campaign. It was technically a huge mess during the fight and no one actually knew what was happening. Even though Yuudachi did wreak havoc in the battle, there are other ships who also claimed the kills. Since her battle records were unclear and involved a lot of guess work from naval historians from both sides after the war, the game version of Yuudachi landed with the "poi" catchphrase just to reflect that little piece of history. (You can see from her introduction line that she wasn't so sure of her battle result in Guadalcanal either.)

So Yuudachi is also breaking the fourth wall when she says 'Poi'.

• Cool 3

[MEIST]
Members
1,651 posts
6,766 battles
10 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I have seen it a lot and heard people kind of explain it, but I finally understand. Thanks

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,395 posts
24,529 battles

Here's a video to explain more

Ninja

There is even a song about this

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

So, in Japanese 'POI' is a suffix applied to other words to mean 'like' or 'resembles'. Saying POI by itself really has no meaning unless you are the type of person that just goes around saying 'like like like like'. The anime had her say it a lot as a kind of verbal tick, but it is very similar to how in english people say 'uhh' or 'like'. It really isn't proper use of the word.

Being an anime fan, and a student of the japanese language, every time I hear someone say 'POI' I die a little inside. :)

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

And tldr: it was very popular since beta in a world of warships. So even if you don't know what is mean you can answer poi as well. :D

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I'll go ahead and post this before someone else does...but I don't get the 'poi'.

POI is "person of interest" this sounds more like Poyee

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles
2 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Poipoipoi.jpg.92b70e4dbf261d66c7d3aea60e7c5ded.jpg

HHahahahahahha... wow never noticed that... and it's even more amusing since it's from right-to-left 

Members
1 post
354 battles
On 1/12/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ivlerlin said:

HHahahahahahha... wow never noticed that... and it's even more amusing since it's from right-to-left 

Almost every major east Asian language was read right to left in ancient times. I say almost because I don't know if Korean was read R to L and same for Japanese.

[WOLF8]
Members
9,259 posts
7,537 battles
2 hours ago, Triela50 said:
  Hide contents

44.jpg

Weren't you suppose to put that pic inside the spoiler box? x)

Edited by Blorgh2017