You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

If I sell a ship....?

27 comments in this topic

BullpupWOT    8

Sorry, I couldn't quite find the exact answer anywhere:. Do I need to transfer a Captain to another ship before I sell a ship? ...or, does the captain get sent to a barracks upon sale of the ship?  I transferred one to a tier two ship before selling the tier 1, but I also sold several tier 1s without transferring.  Are those captains gone?

I understand the concept of training using premiums and such, but in console tanks, the commanders stay unassigned but available when I sell a tank. I'm hoping the same goes here?  Thanks

Simers72    108

If you sell a ship.. the commander will be sent to your Reserve.  To be safe.. I'd suggest sending the commander to the reserve or assigning to the next ship prior to selling.  

If you want to see all of your commanders for each nation - you can click into a commander to go to the commander profile/skill setup and then select "Reserve Commanders" as opposed to "From other Ships" (or something of that nature) - this will allow you to see all of the commanders you have for said ship nation.  

Edited by Simers72

AdmiralThunder    367
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Sorry, I couldn't quite find the exact answer anywhere:. Do I need to transfer a Captain to another ship before I sell a ship? ...or, does the captain get sent to a barracks upon sale of the ship?  I transferred one to a tier two ship before selling the tier 1, but I also sold several tier 1s without transferring.  Are those captains gone?

I understand the concept of training using premiums and such, but in console tanks, the commanders stay unassigned but available when I sell a tank. I'm hoping the same goes here?  Thanks

I am not sure to be honest. Common sense would say if you have an open slot in your Capt reserves the Capt would be put there but? To be safe the best bet is to just assign the Capt to your reserves before you sell the ship. "MAYBE" if you have an open slot in your Capt reserves it will automatically go there as said but I wouldn't risk it. At least  not with a decent Capt with some points. I would imagine if you don't have any open slots you lose the Capt.

Also, make sure you either demount (doubloons) or sell any upgrade modules you mounted or you lose them.

jager_geist    67

Those above have it right. I always move the Captain over to the new ship before I sell, just out of habit.

BullpupWOT    8

How big is the reserve area then?  BTW, I'm having trouble finding any of this in game...the interface isn't as dumbed down as console tanks.  

hangglide42    275
17 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

How big is the reserve area then?  BTW, I'm having trouble finding any of this in game...the interface isn't as dumbed down as console tanks.  

• Go to your port then click on the captain for the ship you have displayed.  
  • When the Captain's skills are displayed, below the list of captains on the right of the screen - there will be a Reserve slot status that should read something like "Vacant places in Reserve (# available)/(total places)". 
  • If you do not have any available Reserve space for your captain, there is a button just below this status indicator that allows you to buy more Captains Reserve Slots for 100 doubloons per Reserve Space.
  • Cool 1

biggie1447    32
34 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

• Go to your port then click on the captain for the ship you have displayed.  
  • When the Captain's skills are displayed, below the list of captains on the right of the screen - there will be a Reserve slot status that should read something like "Vacant places in Reserve (# available)/(total places)". 
  • If you do not have any available Reserve space for your captain, there is a button just below this status indicator that allows you to buy more Captains Reserve Slots for 100 doubloons per Reserve Space.

You also have the chance of recieving captain reserve slots from daily containers.  I have recieved them from flag, consumable and Try your luck crates they come in a batch of 4.  It is also possible to get port slots one at a time this way too, i have gotten at least 3 port slots from normal containers.

Ghostdog1355    384
1 hour ago, centarina said:

make sure you have reserve room before selling

This has gotten me snake bit so really watch it. And sell the modules.

Yes, that is true. Thanks to everyone who posted and answered the question about what happens to your commander once a ship is sold. Definitely, make sure you have a reserve space for them to go to, otherwise, players risk that commander being dismissed. Once that happens, the commander is permanently gone and cannot be recovered. Good luck on the high seas! Hope this answered your question.

Skpstr    1,545

If you are out of room, don't worry at such a low tier. If you dismiss a Tier 1 or 2 captain, it only takes a couple games in the Tier 3 ship to get them back to the same XP level. (once you take into account the "penalty period" from moving up the original captain)

I never bother with keeping captains below Tier 3 when going up a line.

Edited by Skpstr

Snargfargle    1,248
1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

Always feel free to ask questions here in the forum. Most people here are more than willing to help new players learn the game.

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Always feel free to ask questions here in the forum. Most people here are more than willing to help new players learn the game.

This is what makes me smile when I log into the forums. To the OP, don't fret if you ever run low on Captain Reserve Slots, they sometimes are included as part of a Containers contents. I think I have close to 100 empty slots I will never fill up.

BullpupWOT    8
5 minutes ago, TugboatCommander said:

This is what makes me smile when I log into the forums. To the OP, don't fret if you ever run low on Captain Reserve Slots, they sometimes are included as part of a Containers contents. I think I have close to 100 empty slots I will never fill up.

Do we start with a set amount?  I'm not concerned because I only sold tier 1 ships so far. Do we get one slot for each nation?

Skpstr    1,545
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Do we start with a set amount?  I'm not concerned because I only sold tier 1 ships so far. Do we get one slot for each nation?

IIRC, you start with 4, but could be 8.

8 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I'm not sure I recall how many are provided for a new account, it may be 4 as mentioned above. This would have been 1 for each nation a while ago, but new nation's tech trees have been added. 

jason199506    116
9 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

IIRC, you start with 4, but could be 8.

Each player starts with four (4) Reserve slots on their account. Additional Reserve slots can be purchased with doubloons or earned through various mission or campaign rewards.

source: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Reserve_Slots

• Cool 1

BullpupWOT    8
3 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

Each player starts with four (4) Reserve slots on their account. Additional Reserve slots can be purchased with doubloons or earned through various mission or campaign rewards.

source: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Reserve_Slots

Thanks...I didn't put "reserve" in my searches because I didn't know it was called that. Thanks again. 

Garrcia    5

Personally I would recommend against buying reserve slots with doubloons (if anything early on in an account I would focus on port slots when they are on sale).

Of course YMMV but it feels to me that about once per ~50 daily containers one of the items is four reserve slots.

So while space may initially be tight, it should open up soon enough just playing.

delp5117    157

Just choose the flags and camos option for your daily containers and you will soon receive free sets of bunks.  If you want free port slots choose the consumables and silver option, instead.

Edited by delp5117

Camo68    504
6 hours ago, BullpupWOT said:

The wiki pages go into a lot of detail about this and other aspects of the game.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

BlindAF    32

Also, pretty sure when a commander is dismissed, there is a cool down period where you can cancel the dismissal before the captain is permanently gone. Can't remember how many hours it is. So in case of accident, there is that safeguard.

• Cool 1

wtfovr    94
3 hours ago, BlindAF said:

Also, pretty sure when a commander is dismissed, there is a cool down period where you can cancel the dismissal before the captain is permanently gone. Can't remember how many hours it is. So in case of accident, there is that safeguard.

You have 5 minutes after you dismiss the captain to change your mind.

There is a count-down timer that is visible on the captain when you dismiss him.  After the counter reaches zero - he get rendered by the dogs of hell into trillions of pieces of flesh and you can't put humpty-dumpty back together again after this happens.

Kildayil    2
17 hours ago, Skpstr said:

If you are out of room, don't worry at such a low tier. If you dismiss a Tier 1 or 2 captain, it only takes a couple games in the Tier 3 ship to get them back to the same XP level. (once you take into account the "penalty period" from moving up the original captain)

I never bother with keeping captains below Tier 3 when going up a line.

So, silly question, the captains that come with the higher tier ships, are no different than the lower tier captains, other than the exp that you gain, and what abilities you choose for them right? A 19 point captain that you got with the T1 ship and have moved through your line, is the same as if you get 19 points on the captain that came with the T10 ship, right?

Other than special captains, like Dunkirk, Yamamoto, etc, who have special abilities?