You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Mahan C hull.

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Is this worth the upgrade?   How much does losing one gun affect it?  Any hidden upgrades besides the trade for 1 5" for the Bofors mounts?

I'm seeing CV's in EVERY match I play in it. (Co-op)  And the extra AA is VERY tempting.   The rotten stinkers just won't stay away from me.

It's all researched I just would have to part with the coin.

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,868 posts
21,336 battles
20 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Is this worth the upgrade

What I did is research and bought the C hull, but I don't mount it. Lost 1 turret is 20% of your fire power, and the USN dd is to harass, so the more guns you can shoot the better the harassment

If I enter a streak of CV games, I will change to C hull and change back to B hull ........ that is if you getting really really really F A R K about been torp run first and die within 1 min game start, then changed to C hull LOL

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

Keep both and switch back and forth.

It's like the Mogami or Clevelan guns.  Keep both and swap back and forth for whatever mission.

The stock faster turning Cleveland guns are slower loading, but on the Raptor scenario, you are constantly switching target sides -- so use them instead of the faster loading ones.

And the 155 Mogami ??  You've got almost as many rifle barrels than the Atlanta.

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,099 battles

Don't bother.

I never felt the mahan C hull AA was anything to write home about or even mention in passing.  AA damage for Mahan C is nearly identical to Farragut C, which completely struggles with T6 planes.  Aside from T5 planes (even that is a stretch), CVs will just see you and say "oh, how cute".   

Don't get Mahan C, just get to Benson C if you want to AA more, or grab Sims at T7.  Sims out right destroys mahan AA (nearly 3 times the damage), and its cheap rt now. 

IMO, the ONLY thing mahan C hull offers is DF, but not from a flywatter perspective. Don't expect it to do ANYTHING worthwhile for shooting down squads of planes though, use it only as a 30 second panic nerf to TB aiming ability to get out of a crossdrop on you or another teammate.  

Just get out of Mahan, period.  It is a crapbote.  I wholeheartedly recommend Sims especially if you like the way that nicholas B hull played.

Edited by AnimaL21

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

Mahan C hull should be researched, but not equipped. Losing one of your guns is 100% not worth it when it comes to sitting behind islands or in smoke and harassing the crap out of other ships. The extra AA is great for 30 seconds, and then it is useless except maybe when avoiding a massive CV strike, which is usually pretty uncommon for DDs seeing as the CV skill level (with a few exceptions) is kinda low...

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,099 battles
56 minutes ago, Shield380 said:

The extra AA is great for 30 seconds

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there...  

The assertion in my post is that even with x4 DF going, Mahan AA is junk.  Nearly identical to Farragut, which can't even shoot down full T6 squadrons unless they hang overhead on purpose.  he ONLY worthwhile thing that Mahan DF will do for you is panic the bombers so they miss their shots.   

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles
49 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there...  

The assertion in my post is that even with x4 DF going, Mahan AA is junk.  Nearly identical to Farragut, which can't even shoot down full T6 squadrons unless they hang overhead on purpose.  he ONLY worthwhile thing that Mahan DF will do for you is panic the bombers so they miss their shots.   

Fair point... I was also being mildly sarcastic it is just hard to get across here XD

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts
On 1/10/2018 at 3:14 PM, AnimaL21 said:

Don't bother.

I never felt the mahan C hull AA was anything to write home about or even mention in passing.  AA damage for Mahan C is nearly identical to Farragut C, which completely struggles with T6 planes.  Aside from T5 planes (even that is a stretch), CVs will just see you and say "oh, how cute".   

Don't get Mahan C, just get to Benson C if you want to AA more, or grab Sims at T7.  Sims out right destroys mahan AA (nearly 3 times the damage), and its cheap rt now. 

IMO, the ONLY thing mahan C hull offers is DF, but not from a flywatter perspective. Don't expect it to do ANYTHING worthwhile for shooting down squads of planes though, use it only as a 30 second panic nerf to TB aiming ability to get out of a crossdrop on you or another teammate.  

Just get out of Mahan, period.  It is a crapbote.  I wholeheartedly recommend Sims especially if you like the way that nicholas B hull played.

I have Sims, and have to agree with your last statement.   That ship is way fun to play!   I wish it were the tree ship...  (the fact that it has a 19 point captain on it has nothing to do with it...  <whistles innocently> lol)

I've been trying out Mahan with the AA hull and have to agree - it does absolutely nothing.  Except deprive me of 1/5 of my firepower, that is.   Even focusing on plane squads, and being harassed all game- not a single plane kill.

For a "developed from" Farragut,  Mahan certainly isn't anywhere near as fun to play.    As a primarily Co-op player;  I've been getting absolutely TROLLED with the "We HATE DD'S!!!!"  a-hole bots lately.  and with a chronic lack of DD's in queue, normally leading to me being the only one- wherever I go the entire bot team goes.  Leads to little but short, quick, low damage games...  I'm becoming resigned to failing upward to Benson.

Oddly, Sims doesn't get shat on by focus bots nearly as often as Mahan does.

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

You pretty much never need to equip the "Extra AA hull" on any US DD.  Losing 20% of your main guns for a paltry increase to you AA suite isn't worth it in an average game.  The only time you would want to equip it is if you platoon with a CV, or play ranked with a CV. 

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Do you division with a carrier often?  If not I'd rather take the extra firepower over DFAA and the chance to run into a CV.  As far as I know all the C hull does is lose a turret, grant you extra AA and give you the DFAA consumable.  Nothing else.  At least in each game you know you're going to be firing your guns as opposed to the chance of having the AA work when a CV is present. 

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles
19 hours ago, vonKaiser said:

Do you division with a carrier often?  If not I'd rather take the extra firepower over DFAA and the chance to run into a CV.  As far as I know all the C hull does is lose a turret, grant you extra AA and give you the DFAA consumable.  Nothing else.  At least in each game you know you're going to be firing your guns as opposed to the chance of having the AA work when a CV is present. 

Exactly.  The first US DD to not loose a gun it the Fletcher at tier 9.  Far to late for any reasonable player.