You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_BBaby

What, and when, is this supposed CV rework

28 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Members
3,240 posts
6,608 battles

So I hear all the hype about a rework to the CVs, and after seeing what WG did to artillery in world of tanks, I'm not sure I want to start on CVs if they are just going to flip their playstyle/role. Do we know for sure what and when whatever is happening is happening? Of course its all speculation, but please no rant/angry suggestions out of the blue as to what WG should do. I can do that myself:Smile-_tongue:

Thanks! 

MCCIV

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I'm not sure what all is going to change, but it'll be released shortly after the US men's team wins the world cup.

• Funny 3

Members
1,273 posts
6,554 battles
6 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

I played just a little bit of tanks. What was it they did to Artillery?

They made their alpha (?) and penetration go way down so you don't get nuked from orbit as much. Instead they shoot faster and stun you and lower your tank performance for a few seconds.

Edited by warpath_33

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles
17 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I'm not sure what all is going to change, but it'll be released shortly after the US men's team wins the world cup.

So you're saying don't get too excited yet.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

2017 was supposed to be the year of the CV, and we see how that turned out. I think they are still trying to figure out how to balance them. I mean they are still trying to fix the GZ at this point.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,093 battles
11 minutes ago, KyourakuShunsui said:

2017 was supposed to be the year of the CV, and we see how that turned out. I think they are still trying to figure out how to balance them. I mean they are still trying to fix the GZ at this point.

Couldn’t have said it better. Offering a broken OP T7 carrier, a T8 with tons of gimmicks and another T8 they didn’t had figured out by now was the great CV rework. Oh, and they add AP bombs, removed the manual attaks from low tier CV and made one standart loadout for the USN. Tbh, that was more work on the CV lines then we had the year before.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles
36 minutes ago, cometguy said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

Otherwise, it will be soon.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Couldn’t have said it better. Offering a broken OP T7 carrier, a T8 with tons of gimmicks and another T8 they didn’t had figured out by now was the great CV rework. Oh, and they add AP bombs, removed the manual attaks from low tier CV and made one standart loadout for the USN. Tbh, that was more work on the CV lines then we had the year before.

Fix manual drops that they can't be done at under 1 km and Kaga, and any other CV with TB's, suddenly becomes way less OP and more balanced. It's not the ships, it's an idiot mechanic we never needed in the first place that has been broken since introduction.

That aside - no one knows what the rework is outside WG whose only comment in an interview with I think it was Zoup or one of the others was "were trying some things out that are interesting results", or something to that effect, which, after AP bombs, USN changes, continued ignorance of actual problems and broken mechanics I almost don't want to know what these people have thought up because players have told them what changes we want and are needed and they ignore us every damned time and every change they made made things worse.

"USN needs more striking power to go against IJN" - buff USN's already high ammo so they can stay aloft shredding the weaker IJN planes almost indefinetly.

"Strafe and manual drop are broken, especially at low tiers" - remove it from tiers 4 and 5, but not shield tier 5 from 6 who keeps the ability, fail to address fighter imbalance so USN fighters again routinely stomp IJN planes, and simply continue overbuffing AA to counter manual TB drops, with no buffs to DB's leaving USN CV's weaker and weaker as their DB's have to go through all the overbuffed AA to take down usually IJN TB's that somehow have more HP than any USN attack aircraft. 

"We'd like a better option for USN CV's at tiers 5, 7, and 8. Maybe 9 and 10, but at least a 1,1,1 at tier 5 and a 1,1,2 at tier 7 and 8 instead of all out strike with no fighters" - completely remove choice, force players to play one way AND break balance again because once IJN get's more groups in the air combined with other changes they can exploit mechanics namely exit strafe and strafe to effectively own the skies the same way USN did at tier 7 and 8 at least, leaving 4-6 unchanged, 9 a question mark and 10 problematic because they reintroduced a 2 TB set up removed for reasons almost 2 years ago.

And that's just within the last year and the short list.

• Cool 1

Members
18 posts
129 battles

If you play against a CV then adjust your playstyle, when you want to remove the manual drop then you can remove CVs at all.

Edited by x3nium
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Sub_Octavian apologized for the "Year of the CV" failure, and promised that the rework is still coming. It's gonna require overhauling the AA and spotting mechanics which will require some time. I believe last I heard, they were prototyping ideas for the rework.

[GLHF]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,562 battles

i'm not surprised if they do the same they did with arty in wot, change totaly to make cvs useless/suport for bbyabies util no one wanna play with carriers anymore.

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
3 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

i'm not surprised if they do the same they did with arty in wot, change totaly to make cvs useless/suport for bbyabies util no one wanna play with carriers anymore.

So like now, badically.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles
3 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Sub_Octavian apologized for the "Year of the CV" failure, and promised that the rework is still coming. It's gonna require overhauling the AA and spotting mechanics which will require some time. I believe last I heard, they were prototyping ideas for the rework.

What he said was they had a CV rework planned for this year but testing showed it didn't work, so they had to start from the ground up and thats taking time, they expect the new iteration to hit internal testing sometime in the summer.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

don't know and soon in that order. Want anything more? ONly possible way to get it is to sue wargaming on some valid charge and make the reward for victory their development plans. There is physically no other way and good luck finding a valid charge against wargaming. 

[CRBN]
Members
18 posts
7,140 battles

Wonder if they will ever either remove manual drop / strafe, or at least make it have some kind of downside. as it stands auto drops are irrelevant, and manual drops / strafing create a massive skill gap and balance issues.

[NATO]
2,639 posts
10,318 battles
20 hours ago, KyourakuShunsui said:

It was the year of the CV.....Kaga, Enterprise and nearly GZ released.

They clearly have no idea what to do with CV's and refuse to acknowledge that CV's need a total overhaul back to a base level where all squadrons are identical.  WG was told in CBT that CV's weren't ready for release and although CV's were MUCH deadlier and were nerfed 3 or 4 times and then buffed.....and then nerfed.....and now US CV's have been bufffed (Midway back to its killer OP 2-2-2 config) again, they still are nowhere near fixed.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles
3 hours ago, hipcanuck said:

It was the year of the CV.....Kaga, Enterprise and nearly GZ released.

They clearly have no idea what to do with CV's and refuse to acknowledge that CV's need a total overhaul back to a base level where all squadrons are identical.  WG was told in CBT that CV's weren't ready for release and although CV's were MUCH deadlier and were nerfed 3 or 4 times and then buffed.....and then nerfed.....and now US CV's have been bufffed (Midway back to its killer OP 2-2-2 config) again, they still are nowhere near fixed.

By that logic, it was the year of the Battleship. Many more Battleships released in the year than CVs.

[NATO]
2,639 posts
10,318 battles
9 hours ago, KyourakuShunsui said:

By that logic, it was the year of the Battleship. Many more Battleships released in the year than CVs.

And how many premium CV's were released prior to last year.....1.....the saipan abomination. It 'was' supposed to be the year for CV's, 3 prem releases and a fix. The fix.....wasnt....its like putting another nail in a squeaky floor, eventually one figures out the wood floor isnt the real problem, its the plywood subfloor or even worse, a joist.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

What is this supposed CV Rework?

It's WG's planned total overhaul of CV gameplay. Everything from controls to loadouts. It was supposed to be out in 2017 alongside British CVs (mentioned at one point, then held off indefinitely), but they found that CVs were more problematic than they had anticipated. Initially, WG had 3 main goals in mind in regards to the CV Overhaul, that they have outright stated at one point or another either in Q&As or statements on the Forums (usually the RU Forums) or Reddit:

• Reduce the skill difference to make it more accessible to new players but not completely freeze out expert players. Minor things such as manual drops and strafe would serve as balance breakers.
  • Specialize them the same way they do ships by Nationality and Flavor, but also not make one strictly better than the other.
  • Balance them so that that they cannot dictate a match to the same degree that they did in CBT and early OBT. Basically, they will not overpowered vs everything, and will have their weaknesses or limitations.

When is this supposed CV Rework?

The answer is basically, "Over time". Due to the whole CV ecosystem being very sensitive to changes as it's dependent on plenty more factors than other ship classes/types, WG admitted that they have since shifted to what they call a staggered release, where as each phase of testing a specific feature/change/element is completed, they will release it and see if it works on a larger scale, and if it doesn't, revert it and re-tune and re-release before moving on to the next element.

The last official word we got was that WG had several prototypes ranging from a mass of minor changes/tweaks that mainly streamlined the class and the playing of it, to total overhauls of the system, to the point that it's practically a new class CV players would have to learn from the ground up. WG will chose from them what seems to be the most promising and refine it further.

The very first stages of the CV Rework began with the USN CV overhaul, which specialized them somewhat (Fighter and DB-focused) and made them deadlier to an extent, but vs specific ship types and Nationalities (APDBs vs mainly KM BBs and some CAs). WG has alternated between calling it the first of the CV overhaul and its own thing independent of the CV overhaul, but it more or less fits in with the 3 main goals WG had.

The other issue WG is having with CVs is AA balance, they don't want to touch it any more than necessary since it would also force them to rebalance the ships in other ways. Do recall that contrary to popular belief, WG still rates AA as a major balancing factor, else ships like Texas would have been the final Hull rather than a Premium, Atago/Takao would be given her rightful AA rather than declared as being too OP, or Kongou would actually be Kongou with all her late-war AA rather than Hiei, etc. They also mentioned that removing AA mounts off ships that historically had them or existed in-game at one point has never been a popular move with the history fans, as opposed to adding to ships that didn't get late-war refits (which history fans may just not upgrade to to preserve some realism), so without pissing off the majority of players, touching ship-based AA is a last-resort sort of issue.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The "Year of the Carrier" was a bunch of nerfs and a couple broken (using various definitions of the term) carriers.

Nobody in their office actually plays the damn things, and they're too arrogant to admit that players who play carriers all the time (or even casually, like myself) might know more about carriers and carrier gameplay than they do.

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,545 battles

Well right now WG is working on :

-French BB

-British DD

-Fixing Graf Zeppelin

-Releasing Musashi

-Asashio ?

-Fixing this glitched mission

- other stuff

Personally I expect CV rework to happen between the end of 2018 and the start of 2019

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles
8 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

-French BB

-British DD

-Fixing Graf Zeppelin

-Releasing Musashi

-Asashio ?

- other stuff

Personally I expect CV rework to happen between the end of 2018 and the start of 2019

Also CV Rework.

They've been working on the new system since around autumn last year, but don;t expect to have it ready till summer next, from the bits that have been leaking it might effectively be a complete rip up and replace with massive changes to several other mechanics as part of it. So they're basically having to rebuild a big piece of the engine from scratch. Hence the slow progress. Lot to do and only so many hand to go around.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles
3 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

-French BB

-British DD

-Fixing Graf Zeppelin

-Releasing Musashi

-Asashio ?

- other stuff

If we're going further into depth for 2018 stuff currently being worked on:

• A full-fledged French Campaign alongside the French BBs, rewarding a unique 10pt Captain.
  • HSF Campaign as part of the continued Haifuri Collaboration.
  • Graf Zeppelin still in development hell.
  • Musashi coming soon.
  • Roma and KM Torpedo Boat teased as SOON (the former by LWM, the latter by the January Calendar).
  • USN Cruiser line split due sometime 2018.

Then there's the previous speculation on VMF BBs due sometime in 2018 after WG previously stated in 2016 that they did not wish to hold them back any longer (and in 2017 said they pushed it back to 2018 but no later), British DDs potentially due out sometime in 2018, and the possibility of getting the missing T9 and T10 IJN gunboat DD out after acknowledging it last year, and open-ended statements that they might be able to get out an Italian cruiser or DD line before 2018 ends.

Of course, not all of this affects the CV Overhaul. The ones that might are likely the UI-related elements, the team(s) behind them which Sub or Ard had previously stated were focused on maps, modes, features, and Campaigns.