You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Carrier Noob looking for basic keyboard commands and symbols

8 comments in this topic

Members
135 posts
20,687 battles

I have been playing WOW for a while but have only recently bought the Langley and am trying to understand the basic keyboard commands and symbols. Any resources anyone would recommend? Thanks!

Members
1,273 posts
6,554 battles

Look here:

*wiki seems to be down or something, it won't load, will edit in link later*

Keep in mind that tier 4 and 5 carriers can't use the alt key. I would recommend that you go into settings --> general --> enable shift for aircraft carriers --> uncheck. This will allow you to set waypoints for your squadrons. Moving around squadrons is the same as setting waypoints for your ship, except you don't need to open the map. Even without alt attacks, you can change the heading your bombers attack on so you don't have to move a dive bomber squadron around too much just to strike lengthwise on a ship.

Langley's fighters will eat Hosho's fighters unless you're using the stock fighters, but don't start dogfights over enemy AA (unless it's a tier 3 armoured cruiser)

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles

Here is the link: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat

Also here are a few useful ones:

Z allows you to enter the normal ship view (useful for threading torpedoes or precision steering).

F tells the currently selected squadron to return to the carrier.

Click on a ship with no squads selected to mark it as a priority target for your secondaries (or do with planes for AA priority).

• Cool 1

[CIAO]
Members
64 posts

I have a huge problem. I'm a massive stroke survivor and still have paralysis of my left arm and hand and I would like to try playing CVs but am limited to 8 programmable buttons on my mouse (images below).

I know there are other mice out there with more programmable buttons, but their button placement for the WASD basic functions are in no way located for intuitive and easy use, so I do not desire to purchase more paraphernalia and am content with my current game play with destroyers, cruisers, and battleships -  but would still really like to try out CV and be able to play at some level of competency.

The buttons I have to use are LMB, RMB, for normal mouse left and right click functions plus the addition of WASD via the two buttons behind the scroll wheel (A&D) and the two buttons just above the thumb rest (W&S), and a little button in front of the scroll wheel (usually dedicated DCP consumable) and the button under the scroll wheel (usually dedicated Repair Party consumable).

I can sacrifice the RMB for a keyboard command to enable profiles that permit #3 to switch to torpedoes in which case the button under the scroll wheel is programmed to return to HE  (destroyer profile) or AP (Tirpitz profile)... I can combine any keyboard key assignment with Control, Alt, or Shift or any combination of 2 or even all three of these with a single other key on the keyboard. For any key that is not programmed (ie T and Y on the destroyer profile for example), I have to let go of the mouse to hit a keypad key to the right side of my keyboard which has been assigned in the game settings in lieu of R, T, Y, and U. I am limited to 5 profiles where the little button forward of the mouse wheel on all 5 profiles is DCP and the rest are as follows:

Profile 1 - Destroyers:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Torps plus Control key / MWB = HE  /  4 remaining as WASD

Profile 2 - Battleships:

LMB=LMB / RMB= Control key / MWB = Rep Party / 4 remaining as WASD

Profile 3 - Battleships and Cruisers with Torpedoes:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Torps plus Control key / MWB = AP Ammo / 4 remaining as WASD

Profile 4 - Des Moines:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Control key / MWB = Rep Party / 4 remaining as WASD

In each of the 4 profiles as you can see; I have sacrificed free look for the ability to manually target AA which just prior to a few weeks ago, I was totally unaware of the capability.

Now this leaves Profile 5 for CVs. I can either program LMB, RMB, and MWB (mouse wheel button) as a mouse  (LMB, RMB, or MMB) or a keyboard key but not both. So can anyone tell me how to program the buttons in front of and under the scroll wheel for a reasonable attempt at CV playing profile. RMB can be sacrificed for a keyboard key but Left click obviously has to remain and DCP with the fwd button probably I would prefer to remain as well (but can be sacrificed for slower DCP response by hitting a keypad key.

In all the above profiles they are still not coveralls for any particular class they target but they cover most of the necessities for play. I need to keep my full release of the mouse to hit nearby keys on the keypad to a minimum. I CANNOT let go of the mouse to simultaneously hold a keyboard key and then press a mouse key.

Nowhere have I found any complete list of required keystroke/mouse button commands on EXACTLY what keys must be pressed in unison to play a CV because most  providers of this information are writing it with a two handed execution of instructions in mind and I can't fault them for that.

I don't need a perfect solution... only a workable one... any suggestions utilizing this Sentinel III mouse would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

,Stalling

Sentinel III mouse commands.png

Sentinel III Keyboard Assignment Limits.png

Sentinel III Destroyers.png

Sentinel III Battleships.png

Sentinel III BB&Ca w Torps.png

Sentinel III Des Moines.png

Edited by StallingForTime
removed unnecessary url link to mouse image after image uploads

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
11 hours ago, StallingForTime said:

I have a huge problem. I'm a massive stroke survivor and still have paralysis of my left arm and hand and I would like to try playing CVs but am limited to 8 programmable buttons on my mouse (images below).

I know there are other mice out there with more programmable buttons, but their button placement for the WASD basic functions are in no way located for intuitive and easy use, so I do not desire to purchase more paraphernalia and am content with my current game play with destroyers, cruisers, and battleships -  but would still really like to try out CV and be able to play at some level of competency.

The buttons I have to use are LMB, RMB, for normal mouse left and right click functions plus the addition of WASD via the two buttons behind the scroll wheel (A&D) and the two buttons just above the thumb rest (W&S), and a little button in front of the scroll wheel (usually dedicated DCP consumable) and the button under the scroll wheel (usually dedicated Repair Party consumable).

I can sacrifice the RMB for a keyboard command to enable profiles that permit #3 to switch to torpedoes in which case the button under the scroll wheel is programmed to return to HE  (destroyer profile) or AP (Tirpitz profile)... I can combine any keyboard key assignment with Control, Alt, or Shift or any combination of 2 or even all three of these with a single other key on the keyboard. For any key that is not programmed (ie T and Y on the destroyer profile for example), I have to let go of the mouse to hit a keypad key to the right side of my keyboard which has been assigned in the game settings in lieu of R, T, Y, and U. I am limited to 5 profiles where the little button forward of the mouse wheel on all 5 profiles is DCP and the rest are as follows:

Profile 1 - Destroyers:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Torps plus Control key / MWB = HE  /  4 remaining as WASD

Profile 2 - Battleships:

LMB=LMB / RMB= Control key / MWB = Rep Party / 4 remaining as WASD

Profile 3 - Battleships and Cruisers with Torpedoes:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Torps plus Control key / MWB = AP Ammo / 4 remaining as WASD

Profile 4 - Des Moines:

LMB = LMB / RMB = Control key / MWB = Rep Party / 4 remaining as WASD

In each of the 4 profiles as you can see; I have sacrificed free look for the ability to manually target AA which just prior to a few weeks ago, I was totally unaware of the capability.

Now this leaves Profile 5 for CVs. I can either program LMB, RMB, and MWB (mouse wheel button) as a mouse  (LMB, RMB, or MMB) or a keyboard key but not both. So can anyone tell me how to program the buttons in front of and under the scroll wheel for a reasonable attempt at CV playing profile. RMB can be sacrificed for a keyboard key but Left click obviously has to remain and DCP with the fwd button probably I would prefer to remain as well (but can be sacrificed for slower DCP response by hitting a keypad key.

In all the above profiles they are still not coveralls for any particular class they target but they cover most of the necessities for play. I need to keep my full release of the mouse to hit nearby keys on the keypad to a minimum. I CANNOT let go of the mouse to simultaneously hold a keyboard key and then press a mouse key.

Nowhere have I found any complete list of required keystroke/mouse button commands on EXACTLY what keys must be pressed in unison to play a CV because most  providers of this information are writing it with a two handed execution of instructions in mind and I can't fault them for that.

I don't need a perfect solution... only a workable one... any suggestions utilizing this Sentinel III mouse would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

,Stalling

Sentinel III mouse commands.png

Sentinel III Keyboard Assignment Limits.png

Sentinel III Destroyers.png

Sentinel III Battleships.png

Sentinel III BB&Ca w Torps.png

Sentinel III Des Moines.png

I don't think you'll be able to make CVs work in any meaningful way.

You need wasd for ship movements. Which you can depend on autopilot but good luck avoiding a snipe.

You will also need buttons for consumables. 1-2 only after tier 8. 

You will also need a minimum of 4 buttons dedicated to your squadrons. This goes up with tier and if you choose IJN even more.

Additionally you will need buttons for Alt, Ctrl keys and lmb. With an optional M button.

I tried mapping an Xbox controller and it was a nightmare. Works fine for surface ships just not CVs.

• Cool 1

[CIAO]
Members
64 posts

Thank you kindly. As stated, and until such time as WG adds something akin to UI Menu Tabs for controlling all the aspects of CV Play via "cntrl"+ LMB or "Alt"+LMB to select: I'll be content with the knowledge that I can stop searching and enjoy what already works fairly well. I really appreciate your fairly quick response.

Smooth Seas!

,Stalling

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
51 minutes ago, StallingForTime said:

Thank you kindly. As stated, and until such time as WG adds something akin to UI Menu Tabs for controlling all the aspects of CV Play via "cntrl"+ LMB or "Alt"+LMB to select: I'll be content with the knowledge that I can stop searching and enjoy what already works fairly well. I really appreciate your fairly quick response.

Smooth Seas!

,Stalling

You can probably make it work with more buttons like 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a6306944?cid=312465008&st=&lid=59673390036&ptaid=pla-293946777986&VEN1=sBmhDXE5d,256712733269,901pdb6671,m,,A6306944,53981610958,pla-293946777986&VEN2=,&pgrid=53981610958&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230923830920560&VEN3=151804488630133867

Wow long link.

More than most ships CVs actually have a twitch factor.

If you stick to tier 4/5 you can make it work but I feel you would be at a disadvantage beyond your disability. 

Don't let that stop you though. Just the time spent learning to play around how CVs play will give you insight above those that just click away. Then even if you don't get it working, you will have an easier time defending against CVs in other ships.

[CASC1]
Members
31 posts
2,603 battles
1 hour ago, StallingForTime said:

Smooth Seas!

,Stalling

Depending on your level of coordination remaining in your right hand, you could get it to work IF you get a new mouse with more buttons such as a logitech G600. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086UK7IQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:  Looks like StoneRhino and I had the same thought at the same time.

Edited by Tandin