You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

Buying WoWs stuff - be very careful

19 comments in this topic

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles

I bought several crates this last Christmas with a CC and likely with the Equfax data breach in the US and an issue with Apple and the same CC, I would urge anyone who is buying WoWs stuff online to do it with a gift card only (or a one time CC#).  In no way should you be using a debit card for any online purchases in any way, shape or form period.

If anyone wants to know more details - PM me.

• Meh 1

Members
678 posts
362 battles

Meh, I do anyways with almost all online purchases. I've had info stolen twice, once using PayPal and heaven help you if you have to mess with PayPal to get the money back.

As with all thing, just do you due diligence.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

One thing I like about how many times I have had to deal with Chase and their crap... they have learned what IS me, and what would probably not be me and immediately block the attempt until they contact me.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

The very few times I've had false charges made on my CC i've easily had reversed by simply calling my CC company. Simply check your statements, and don't pay with debit cards, and you can easily contest the charges permitted you have a decent company.

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles

I never save CC info, I always put the info in fresh. I also don't even have a credit card or bank account and have never been swindled, since I was 17 and closed my bank account and cut my Master Charge. I just give cash to my friends and use theirs. It's been almost 40 years, since I let some one but me, handle my money.

Members
6,667 posts
27 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Meh, I do anyways with almost all online purchases. I've had info stolen twice, once using PayPal and heaven help you if you have to mess with PayPal to get the money back.

That's why you don't use Paypal.  I worked for one of the major (really big!) banks in their credit card department for a while.  You have better protections by law with a CC in the US than you do with Paypal.  Your best bet is to use one of those CCs.  I've never had a bad charge that I couldn't get fixed in minutes.  Usually the bank contacted me within minutes with the 'bad' charges, and was able to verify it was mine, or not; i.e. they knew what was normal for me anyway.  I won't name the company, but it's a very large bank in the US.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

Yeah, we have a small CC that we use for online purchases. Or you could use Karma Koin for WG.

Members
2,428 posts
38,366 battles

Yea, if debit cards are used there's no limit on the damages, they can just empty your bank account.  Credit cards have a $50- limit on fraudulent charges, and the two times in the last 10 years my card number was used, I just called the card issuer and I didn't even have to pay that.

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles
13 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I never save CC info, I always put the info in fresh. I also don't even have a credit card or bank account and have never been swindled, since I was 17 and closed my bank account and cut my Master Charge. I just give cash to my friends and use theirs. It's been almost 40 years, since I let some one but me, handle my money.

I normally do that as well but for some reason I didn't do that this last Christmas and I am really unhappy with how Apple dealt with it.

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles
14 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I won't name the company, but it's a very large bank in the US.

To quote one of my fav radio talk show hosts - likely a "Monster Mega Bank"... ;)  There are only about 3 of them.

Edited by CylonRed

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles
41 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I bought several crates this last Christmas with a CC and likely with the Equfax data breach in the US and an issue with Apple and the same CC, I would urge anyone who is buying WoWs stuff online to do it with a gift card only (or a one time CC#).  In no way should you be using a debit card for any online purchases in any way, shape or form period.

If anyone wants to know more details - PM me.

Dealt with Apple for years and they are very secure, now Wargaming being Russian Company... well have had enough doubts that I have a different email address for each Wargaming game that I play that are exclusively for the game and nothing else attached to them. And now one of the email addresses is getting attached to things that look legally questionable and I have traced the activity not far from Wargaming's NA headquarters... And I keep getting odd emails sent to the account that are not from Wargaming when only Wargaming and myself even know the existence of that particular email.

Could be coincidence of course, but yeah I would only Connect giftcards, paid for with actual cash to this game so no way to have a cent more sucked out of me than I want to give them.

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Dealt with Apple for years and they are very secure

They are secure but not happy with Apple when my wife called them to find out what the issue was 5 or 6 times getting no worthwhile information.

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles
Just now, CylonRed said:

They are secure but not happy with Apple when my wife called them to find out what the issue was 5 or 6 times getting no worthwhile information.

That's very odd since Apple usually has always had excellent customer service and tech support.

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles

Once I made the phone call we could get information and even talk to a fraud support person at Apple who finally filled in some of the blanks.

Edited by CylonRed

Members
6,667 posts
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Once I made the phone call we could get information and even talk to a fraud support person at Apple.

Odds are the 'normal' customer support person doesn't have access to the kind of info the fraud support people do.  Annoying, I'm sure, but, they have good reasons.  You just have to know to ask for those people.

Edited by mavfin87

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

Odds are the 'normal' customer support person doesn't have access to the kind of info the fraud support people do.  Annoying, I'm sure, but, they have good reasons.  You just have to know to ask for those people.

All I did was explain the situation and never had to ask for the fraud dept and that should have been the same with my wife.

Members
1,267 posts
9,472 battles
1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

Makes no sense to me how you could be defrauded using Paypal.  Paypal doesn't give the second party your CC or debit card info as far as I know unless this is something new. I have never in the many years of using Paypal had a fraudulent charge or any case where I lost money due to paying via Paypal. 

Sorry to say, but your story sounds suspicious.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts

Paypal. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I've spent at least $2500 on this with 0 issues other than getting my card shut off if purchases are too close together because of their foreign currency exchange/credit processor on their end being shady and my bank not liking them because of it.

You can log in to your Paypal account and remove companies that have a standing authorization; WG is not one of them that does but but example Steam/Valve do (and I never want any merchant to "remember" or have access to my payment information).