Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoCoGaming3645

yeah, the Fiji still rocks...

15 comments in this topic

Members
842 posts
8,155 battles

results2.thumb.jpg.8c78ad84e5a102d62de279dd0205e6f2.jpg

results1.thumb.jpg.b2c164bc427e90c5eb689cc10c7d73b5.jpg

Yeah, I was top-tier, with only one other T7 (the Atlanta).

That said:

1. The Atlanta tried to engage me in a brawl at 6km and closed. I just put my stern to him, and proceeded to citadel the crap out of him. I think his HE did like 6k to me, and I killed his full-health with the 4 cits and like 20 pens on his broadside. Not so smart. 

2. The map was Shards, which affords a lot of nice cover for the Fiji, and plenty of corners to Hydro and ambush DDs. 

3. I missed my Kraken, Confederate, and High Caliber by a sliver. They all would have come by killing the Emile Bertin, which tried to pick a fight with me just before the game ended. Me: 80% health with 2 heals left, him: 40% health no heals. 6km range. I just needed 30 seconds more.... 

4. My team was INCREDIBLY incompetent. We had the game won 8 minutes before it ended, but my team members insisted on suiciding. We were up by 300 points (with a 2:1 cap advantage), then the other team killed 5 straight.  I won by killing a DD then capping the remaining cap (while they capped the other two). Won by about 100 points (got to 1000 first).  Kept pleading with them to just disengage and hide. Nope.

5. That's a 4-minute Solo Warrior.

6. No torpedo damage at all. All gun damage. Half of it on BBs (farmed the crap out of 2 QEs). 

7. 2 DDs, 1 BB, 1 CA.

Overall, there's not a lot of other ships that could have done this in. Maybe my Scharnhorst.

Given cover, the Fiji is just massive. There's a reason I run the money flags on it. :-)

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,076 battles

Fiji is in contention for the title of most OP tech tree ship.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
10,596 posts
32,060 battles
4 hours ago, WhiteRecon said:

Nice.  I have Fiji, Neptune and Mino - like all three.

LOL...I noticed you didn't include the bald headed step child that falls in between...oddly enough one of only 2 ships I've gotten 6 kills w/but still holds the title of worst ship in the line.

From the forums some would argue the Emerald holds that title but I ran it before the smoke nerf when you could shoot 2 racks of torps>maneuver around to shoot the other 2 racks while smoking>hydro>torp>& shoot w/out being detected...& nhave the 1st set of torps ready to fire again as you make your GTFO maneuver as your smoke is running out. When run like a DD it was as comparatively OP for it's tier as the Figi...in fact I shot down a few unfortunate Figis (whose smokes were on cool down) while hiding in that smoke.

7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

^^^Yeah this.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[HINON]
Members
2,642 posts
7,936 battles
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Caveat to that: so long as it is in competent hands

• Cool 1

[TULIP]
Members
952 posts
12,669 battles
50 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Caveat to that: so long as it is in competent hands

Hands have nothing to do with the ship.  I have 10 tier 10 ships, almost all the best ones - I can derp like the best of them in any powerful ship, lol. 

Members
842 posts
8,155 battles
10 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

LOL...I noticed you didn't include the bald headed step child that falls in between...oddly enough one of only 2 ships I've gotten 6 kills w/but still holds the title of worst ship in the line.

From the forums some would argue the Emerald holds that title but I ran it before the smoke nerf when you could shoot 2 racks of torps>maneuver around to shoot the other 2 racks while smoking>hydro>torp>& shoot w/out being detected...& nhave the 1st set of torps ready to fire again as you make your GTFO maneuver as your smoke is running out. When run like a DD it was as comparatively OP for it's tier as the Figi...in fact I shot down a few unfortunate Figis (whose smokes were on cool down) while hiding in that smoke.

^^^Yeah this.

Honestly, the Edinburgh is significantly superior to the Neptune. The Neptune is simply far too big and clumsy for T9, and with the complete lack of any armor (I mean, it gets citadeled by DD AP at 8km, for Christ's sake), it's just too massive a target and squishy.   The 33% increase in ROF doesn't really compensate, as it's far harder to get the rear turrets into play in a Neptune than a Edinburgh, and the large number of torps don't seem to make much of a difference (I suspect because the larger concealment radius and the far poorer maneuverability make using them far more dangerous).  In addition, the lopsided smoke firing detection range over all other RN CLs really, really hurts.

Consequently, I find that the Neptune is NOT a good DD hunter, compared to the Edin and Fiji, both of which are terrors to DDs.  That leaves it pretty much relegated to the "smoke/island camp" playstyle as it's only real contribution method.  And the smoke camping is much more difficult these days. Honestly, I find the Neptune a (bad) on-trick pony, and far, far less flexible and useful than my Edinburgh.

I far prefer my Edin to my Neptune. So much so that when I finish getting the Mino, I'm definitely selling the Neptune, while I will continue to hold the Edin.

And, yeah, I still hate the Emerald, since it's far, far too easy to be nuked by anything - including AP-shooting DDs - and has pretty poor DPM against stuff, due to a real problem with actually getting guns-on-target.  I personally have no problem whacking an Emerald in my Gaeda, and even my Fubuki can out-duel an Emerald (yeah, that's right, an IJN DD with it's crappy guns can beat a CRUISER in a gunfight - all you have to do is make him chase you, which severely limits his gun arcs, and your HE will win over his AP). Heck, I have no problem in a Nicholas or Farragut taking on an Emerald in a straight-up knife-fight, it's that weak. 

If you're beating Fijis with it, that says pretty much everything about how incompetent the Fiji driver is.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,679 posts
4,052 battles

Just finished my Fiji grind. I literally didn't put a single upgrade on the ship except for range increase, not even the hull and this is the most enjoyable ship I've played at tier 7. I've never had a ship this comfortable. It's a thing of beauty.

I'm keeping this baby. So far sitting on a near 66k avg damage, 2.4 k/d, near 65% w/r, and around 1440 wtr. Just a pure fun ship.

aau6gbg.jpg

Proof of the fact I didn't even install any upgrades or the modules other than FCS (was saving credits tbh). This thing performs so well I didn't even think about it till I went to research the Edin tonight and saw I didn't do anything to her.

Lu6Bgbm.jpg

Sure, only 14 battles, but come on. With the derp teams running around lately on the holiday's and the fact I have this thing pretty much stock speaks for itself.

Members
546 posts

Top tier, the RN line is good.  Otherwise, the RN line is garbage after the smoke nerf.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, nhf said:

Top tier, the RN line is good.  Otherwise, the RN line is garbage after the smoke nerf.

The smoke nerf is only bad for those CL drivers who're dependent on firing from smoke. I myself, have never been dependent on smoke and rarely use it as it tells the Reds where you are and is a torpedo magnet. I mainly use smoke to break sight when I'm getting focus fired on. Fiji is still a great ship despite the smoke nerf.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

As is Belfast.  I'm a smoke shooter too, and it does just fine. with the changes.

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,076 battles

Leander is good (I kept her, especially since I earned the Type 12 perm camo) . 

Fiji is OP (I kept her, also).

I recently got Edinburgh.  OMG, even stock this ship is amazing.  I upgraded to the B hull seconds ago.  I can't believe this ship gets better with upgrades.  I'm going to feel dirty playing it!

[PO7S]
Beta Testers
70 posts
10,434 battles
On 1/7/2018 at 8:47 PM, nhf said:

Takes me back to the Ranked Season where it was tier 7 ships. Belfasts everywhere and one of the ways to deal with it was using the Fiji

Members
482 posts
25,438 battles

The Fiji is one bad azz Tier 7 cruiser. When I got it I liked it even while I was playing her stock and working her for the module upgrades. She's a great one for the Operation battles with Tier 7 ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,294 battles

I have finished the grind through mine, and while it was a bit longish (108K XP to the Edinburgh), it was never truly tiresome  - the Emerald grind actually felt longer and far worse. 

I will be keeping her since I have no current desire to face the Tier VIII-X meta on a regular basis, and because she can go on ops. 

I have also, for now, got rid of the smoke generators; I want to try her out as a smokeless cruiser, both out of interest (now that grinding her is not an issue) and because operations are such fast-moving affairs that smoke doesn't seem to help much. In fact, next time Operation Hermes rolls around as an individual-ship thing, I will probably take the premium catapult fighter for whatever that's worth - unless others can advise to the contrary. Certainly the scout airplane is pointless in the storm.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:51 PM, Shadowfury1156 said:

Belfasts everywhere and one of the ways to deal with it was using the Fiji

However, I do occasionally still take her out with smoke, and even before reading the above comment, I had decided that in future if a Belfast or even an Atlanta radars me in smoke, I'm going to have at it with everything I've got and see how much I can take off my attacker before they finish me off. Best case is that I take an enemy radar cruiser out of the battle; worst case is that I leave it less healthy than it was to start and its captain hopefully nervous about taking too much further damage.

Sign in to follow this