You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pigeon_of_War

New Contest: Museum Hunt

109 comments in this topic

1meanDad    0

We went to Patriot's Point in October on a family road trip. It was my son's first carrier visit and he was amazed.

Toured the USS Laffey, USS Clagamore and the USS Yorktown.

Cant wait to return one day. Dont have the tickets but I have included my debit card entry.   The wife did keep the tickets, see below.

2017-10-16 12.36.28.jpg

IMG_9119.JPG

IMG_9133.JPG

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9199.JPG

2018-01-09 18.52.01.jpg

Edited by 1meanDad
typo

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, RedSeaBear said:

I was at the USS Yorktown, even though It was back in June

I was there last summer also! I loved seeing the history of this ship. I too have pictures. Anyone looking to make chocolate chip cookies any time soon?

Spoiler

20160710_093803.thumb.jpg.5469f5fcb9229890cc6781a931271a8e.jpg

Spoiler

20160710_091852.thumb.jpg.8cf4687ffcc62d99bab8ab3425d717f3.jpg

Spoiler

20160710_095457.thumb.jpg.7086ada2676853cb32ca19e6d5f4b200.jpg

Spoiler

20160710_094711.thumb.jpg.f133b97b2b7c9310a54f322f81b6879b.jpg

BullpupWOT    8

I have some really cool photos from the last time I visited Patriots Point. I may bust some out and post in the next couple of days. I live in PA, so I won't be able to go this week. I also got to see the actual pieces of the Monitor in their restoration tanks at the Monitor Center:

http://www.monitorcenter.org/

Pigeon_of_War    1,798

Hello!

Only a couple of days left! 

Istilian    4

Great idea for a contest!  I hope you do more of them, it’s a great excuse for a road trip.  This time, however, I had to rely on a lucky business trip to become the proud owner of a ticket!  I was being greedy and hoping all day that the code would let me play an Albany tonight - but I guess it's for the new folks.  

I apologize for not being having more pictures, I literally had zero time, but I’ll do my best with mere words:

First and foremost, these carriers are Really Big Ships!  In past years, I’ve visited both the Midway and the Yorktown and I’ve noticed that the ones tucked right into a city get a little dwarfed by the buildings.  You’ve got to take a minute to look up at it and get some perspective – this is a *ship* not a building and it moves!!

Once you get inside, everything changes and you realize just how big this thing is!  The flight deck really brings it home, you could have 2 full football games going on at the same time on that thing.  I get a little twitchy around aircraft displays (gahh sky-torps and AP bombs!!!), but anything with an F-14 AND a space shuttle can’t be ALL bad.  

I love the tours and displays about ship life.  Going along with This is a Very Big Ship is the fact that that this is a these were floating cities!  They had everything:  printing press for ships news, barber, dentist, post office, machine shops and laundry.  It’s really amazing.  My wife's father loves to tell stories about he and his fellow destroyer men would go on port raids to steal carrier food before it could get loaded.. I can see why.

If you haven’t been to one of these carriers (or your kids have never been), I highly recommend making the trip.  It’s an amazing experience and the money goes into preserving a piece of history, win-win!

Thank you WG for the contest, I’ll [Massachusetts] be looking [Massachusetts] forward to [Massachusetts] the next one [Massachusetts]!

Spoiler

5a56a7317c98f_TicketFront.thumb.jpg.7fb4dbee6dbc6771da9cbabe537b0b9a.jpg5a56a793a8597_TicketBack.thumb.jpg.d31e0d935b047ec7ca4cced8b5f35ba2.jpgIntrepid.jpg.ceef1d11cd47bddd3eea5972a74f2564.jpg

• Cool 1

Would it even be a possibility that you guys pair up with some air museums? Pima Air and Space Museum?

Beautiful day to be outside and a wonderful ship to explore. Who doesn't love some Bofors quad mounts in the morning

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

• Cool 1

Pigeon_of_War    1,798
1 hour ago, Burninator_USAF said:

Beautiful day to be outside and a wonderful ship to explore. Who doesn't love some Bofors quad mounts in the morning

Lovely Bofors, scrounge for the skies for torpedo bombers

Crokodone    38
1 hour ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Lovely Bofors, scrounge for the skies for torpedo bombers

It would be nice if those guns were restored, very nice salute for the 4th of July.

StingRayOne    394

I very much wish I could,

as of the ripe old age of 54,

I have placed two museum craft, CGC 83527( Oregon),CCB 18( San Diego)after refitting them.

Operated Both as well as PT 695, a Vosper PT Boat(Annapolis Boat Works 1944)

I wish I could visit the two mentioned,

I have Visited;The Olympia,The Cutty Sark, The Belfast, The Missouri(Active and Museum), The Iowa( Mothballed and Museum), The Red Oak Victory( Tug Crew), The Hornet,The Pompanito,The Jeremiah O Brien, The U-505, The Becuna,The Arizona, The Hornet, PT 305, LCM 56, PBR MK II( operated and stationary), PTF 26( operated) and numerous Air and Military Museums across the US and UK including, The Imperial War Museum, Pima Air Park, and Wendover Air Field.

so maybe someday

ianh070    2

Yorktown is a very cool ship, great visit! Hoping to make it to some more (the Alabama is pretty close). As a side note, you can also take a ferry to Fort Sumter in Charleston and get a nice view of the ship from the water.

1.jpg

4.jpeg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Cool 2

Pigeon_of_War    1,798
16 hours ago, ianh070 said:

Yorktown is a very cool ship, great visit! Hoping to make it to some more (the Alabama is pretty close). As a side note, you can also take a ferry to Fort Sumter in Charleston and get a nice view of the ship from the water.

Cools pictures! Glad you were able to take in the vast scale of the Yorktown class CV

Terrakov    8
On 5/1/2018 at 6:42 PM, Pigeon_of_War said:

hUtWav0.png

Hey Captains!

Did you know Wargaming has partnerships with certain museums across the world? In case you didn't know, well, you do!

If you and/or you family and friends are in the are and plan to visit one, I want you to let not only me, but the community know! I may do this every so often , but let's have a very simple scavenger hunt to see if visit these museums in the next week or so. 

The two on the List this Time are:

USS Intrepid  in New York City, New York

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

and

USS Yorktown  in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 

https://www.ussyorktown.org/

Simple Rules and Simple prizes:

- Post at-least two pictures to this thread, showing you visited there between now and January 15th, 2018.

- Pictures must be of your ticket(s), front and back

-Tell us about your experience! 

Number of Entries: In this time frame, UNLIMITED! You read that right, just simply posting the pictures and telling the community about the museum in the specified time frame gets you some prizes, which are....

Prizes:

- Enterprise and Port Slot

- Saipan and Port Slot

- Texas and Port Slot

- Arizona and Port slot 

- Oh, and some Italian ship not out yet....something about pasta and guns...camo...I'll include a port slot with it as well.

Deadline:

-January 15th, 2018 at 1800PST

Special incentive....first two people to meet the requirement get the above AND a Coo of Boom Flag for helping the community remember some veteran vessels and showing your support to our partner museums. 

Safe Travels to those going! 

Hello, just these museums? Because in my city I have a museum ship but they do not give tickets to enter. I can participate? The museum ship is the ARA Irigoyen

Pigeon_of_War    1,798
34 minutes ago, Terrakov said:

Hello, just these museums? Because in my city I have a museum ship but they do not give tickets to enter. I can participate? The museum ship is the ARA Irigoyen

Yup, just the listed Museum Ships for now. 

More ships next time!

Togglemind    1

Just went to the Intrepid. Rather broken up by all the exhibits, still quite neat. The Growler was very neat, shows a strange chapter of US Nuclear power.

Even with the deck and hangar somewhat broken up the scale of the Intrepid is huge- the carriers in game look big but just walking in the hangar was amazing.

Neat museum, nice day!

5F795979-808E-439C-ACCC-759BBE4492B8.jpeg

4CD1DA2A-D113-422C-B5CA-884A4126D46E.jpeg

3A4B633A-F1B0-428A-953B-9F708509C0AA.jpeg

B2E01C1F-CD20-49A7-9524-B96622FF007D.jpeg

• Cool 1

Zwetschgen    0

Great visit to Intrepid at 12th Av & 46th St at Pier 86 in Manhattan. Found the Fo’c’sle very interesting, especially the anchor chain room. Also saw the Enterprise orbiter, Growler submarine and the Concorde.

8690B6A0-15E2-4934-93F5-7546D5425D98.jpeg

D8E09272-7FF1-493E-9287-DC5FDE02B269.jpeg

EB7619E7-911D-47DB-A514-D63F592C4777.jpeg

68680853-6BBE-48D2-B8DC-ACD3CC9D8DB0.jpeg

43A48EE9-1CEB-4A57-9056-01A0660DC674.jpeg

Pigeon_of_War    1,798

Great pictures and stories so far!

Last day and a half, I hope to see more! 

FCA_Wichita    393

Ah, now I wish I kept my ticket from when I visited.  Yorktown is well worth it, especially since Laffey is there as well, plus a submarine (check it out before it goes away!)

I haven't been to Yorktown since 2007 and figured I'd try to find something but alas, every picture of that trip is on one of the computers lost to the ravages of the closet. I did find a ticket from patriots point though, I'm not sure if it counts, and I'm not entirely sure if it was to see the ships or Fort Sumter, might be Fort Sumter...

Spoiler

e40f3d80630e5537687a068da2c75d1f.thumb.jpg.bdf57dd2d66e7a0e30116362be83baef.jpg

cb6b38cc2d936a9a5924acddebc756a1.thumb.jpg.5fe60f8d140f24ebecb474c8fbb79b9e.jpg

My grandfather and I drove up to Charleston, South Carolina from Tampa, Florida and spent a few nights before heading back down to visit Savannah, Georgia. Visited Patriots Point, Fort Sumter, and Fort Moultrie in South Carolina. Visited Fort Pulaski in Georgia while staying in a hotel room that had a view of the Savannah River which was fascinating cause you could wake up with a freighter sailing right by your window. We visited Yorktown twice, which makes me think that we had a weekend pass and that ticket I found which was only for a day. It's a shame I never thought of pulling those pictures off those old computers. Seems I have more pictures of B-17s than anything including Liberty Belle before she melted to the ground.

I do have this, however...

Spoiler

1001e89cec6c81b48af8013bceac238c.thumb.jpg.fd5e3fdf43fd79cb676844107e2b3370.jpg

Even though I never visited Iowa in person, I did participate in sending them money. I do recall when I was a lot younger while visiting my grandparents in California seeing the mothball fleet and a battleship that stood out. So yeah, it's not like I haven't seen her...

Pigeon_of_War    1,798
6 hours ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

I haven't been to Yorktown since 2007 and figured I'd try to find something....

Thanks for the Submission! Unfortunately 10 years ago is a little too far back. Sorry about that.  

Pigeon_of_War    1,798

Hello Captains!

The contest is now over, and I want to thank everyone that made submissions! I especially want to thank everyone that took some time in their week support our partner Museum Ships!

Special thanks to the first two people to physically go there during the specified time frame and post proof: @Cruiser_AobaKai and @Crokodone! Because of this, you will of course receive the designated przes and one Coo of Boom Flag each. 

The other winners are listed in the Spoiler below. I bent the contest rules a bit and if you didn't meet the time frame but submitted some good pictures, I decided to prize you out anyways.

Why? Because it's my contest and more prizes are always a good thing. I may not do that again, so don't rely on it  :cap_cool:.

This likely won't be the last time I do something like this, so here's to seeing more museum ships, their pictures, and stores in the future! 

• Cool 3

Thanks for the great contest Pigeon! It was a great excuse to see an amazing ship and I'll look forward to the next one :cap_like: