AlcatrazNC

Monarch underestimated

10 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles

When I first heard that Monarch was "a downgrade" from KGV, I was a bit hesistant to go further. KGV was a decent ship, pretty weak when it comes to armor and guns have poor accuracy. The usage of both AP and HE make the ship powerfull but with this accuracy AP is almost irrelevant. Sure you can cit cruiser but at this tier a slight angle bounce all your shell forcing you to almost only rely on HE.

And here come the Monarch .  At first glance it seems pretty meh, I mean 35% fire chance ? Why would I even bother with this when I had 40%+ fire chance with KGV ? Range, Armor, AA and Manoeuvrability seems ok. This ship don't seems to be special compared to other BB. 

Right now my commander is still retraining so I have 11.8km concealment with camo+mod+commander perk which is almost like a cruiser already. My Monarch is stock but this ship is actually really fun to play.  Stock, the ship is bit clumsy, range is really really garbage, HP and AA are pretty bad but I can have fun simply because these guns are actually great. These 381mm guns takes 25 sec to reload and they are very very accurate. I had  issue hitting target with a KGV, even a stationary target but with the Monarch, it's just a pure blast.  If a ship show you a little broadside, the Monarch can melt her with AP. And it will happens very often since people don't expect you to shoot AP.  

HE isn't bad and considering the short CD, you can afford to switch ammo type but unlike KGV where shooting only HE is the best option, this ship heavily rely on a mix of both AP and HE. I didn't manage to cit BB but constantly landing 10-15k because the BB is stupid enough to show broadside because "lul RN BB never shoot AP" is really enjoyable. When the BB is angled, yes the damage drop heavily and it means switching to HE. Unlike KGV that heavily rely on HE, Monarch rely on both HE and AP. Also worth mentioning that compared to KGV, Monarch has actually a better shell velocity. Sometime I missed some shot just because shells are faster than I expected. Hitting cit on cruiser isn't really hard compared to KGV, even hitting a DD doesn't require that much effort.

People underestimate the ship because of its HE performance but once you switch to AP, it become a real treat for every ship that sail broadside. I wonder why no one play this ship in ranked though. It's not like there are a lot of CV treat forcing you to bring a NC/Alabama . Sometime I feel this ship would be a pure pain to deal with in ranked, because with her great concealment and AP, this ship will just murder anyone.

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,837 battles

enjoy the accuracy because when you get to the loin you will rage at all the near misses and wonky straddles you will get.

[BGG_]
Members
12 posts
4,361 battles

I don't hate it but I'm still learning also.

I feel the German BB/American BB is better at T8.. They give me the most trouble 

Members
51 posts
9,928 battles

My second game in the KGV I got a Kraken and fell in love. Grinded thru to the Monarch and no matter what I do struggle with it. Stopped playing it for now and just play the KGV or my Warspite in the British line.

[280ZX]
Members
720 posts
10,576 battles

Lane...Ouch, that is what I was afraid of, since I really enjoy the accuracy of the KGV guns.

It is just a large cruiser for me, since detection range is fairly low, reload is fairly fast, and shell arcs are flat. Shell dispersion is so low, that I do a double take occasionally, as the NC dispersion is much higher.

Going up a notch, I don't see many Monarchs in ranked (about 1 every 5 games or less).

Edited by Ericson38

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles

Im going to have to assume this ship needs to be fully upgraded, my first trip out,  PURE TRASH, 15 HE hits for no damage?   are you even fuking serious?

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

I really like the KGV and just started out in the Monarch.  I'm dropping Santa crate flags on it to get it upgraded as fast as possible.  The range and handling are really a challenge in the stock set-up (like many other boats).

[5D]
Beta Testers
434 posts
7,861 battles

would anyone think that IFHE would be a bad choice for this ship, it does to relatively well in ranked ive been playing it a bit. 

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,656 battles

She is a great ship. The concealment and good RoF makes her very comfortable to drive.

Many people struggle with her because they either focus on HE or AP. But the ship is very demanding on choosing the right ammunition type.

This is actually my best performing T8 BB.

Edited by Exciton8964