Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Training Room options?

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,489 posts
2,439 battles

I like the availability of the Training rooms, and the less-cobbled-together look.  But one things escapes me.  In the old TRs one could set the behavior of the bots/targets - stationary, moving, firing, not firing, etc.  I don't see that option at all in 0.7.0.  That said, the 1-on-1 I set up, the bot apparently never moved. 

Further, the TRs presuppose a map with a battle objective.  Most of the best sessions I've had in the old rooms were with stationery or moving bots without objectives (not that the new bots seem to know about objectives).

So am I missing something?

[DOG]
Members
153 posts
6,205 battles

Perhaps it helps to understand what are ones objectives in going into a training room vs selecting Co-Op battles.  I'd like to practice my aiming on a (newly acquired) ship at different ranges and speeds to understand the gun dispersion.  For that I'd like a static (non-moving) target.  After I get that, I'd like to practice my aiming on a target that's moving at various speeds and then one that is maneuvering (so I'm not always seeing a ship's broadside and I can see the impact of angling and my shot selection).  If I just want static target practice, then this implementation works, but there should be some way to specify enemy ship behavior either as a whole (e.g., "all stationary") or individually (e.g., stationary, constant speed, variable speed, random maneuvering, emulate player (beginner), emulate player (average), emulate player (skilled) - where emulate player is essentially a BOT that will fire back at you, so you can practice angling to protect against return firing).

Other observations in TRS (I did mine as a single player against BOT ships and did not try player vs. player):

1) I can add a target ship of ONLY Mogami (to either team Alpha or Bravo).  I have not added any restrictions, so I would have expected to see any of the ships at my tier (I had Tier 8 Monarch).

2) If I want to add a variety of targets to practice against, it would be nice to have an auto-populate option for the Bravo team's ships (subject to the restrictions I chose). EDIT: There is a drop-down arrow by the ship count of each team that when clicked shows a "FILL" with targets dialog. Didn't notice that the first time through (don't know if it showed up after I checked the settings for "All scenarios of the training room" or not).  That's easy to miss and unless there's going to be more options on the dialog I'd suggest changing the down arrow into text button "FILL".

3) If I JUST want target practice, then running around the OCEAN map to find the target is kind of annoying (particularly with default 10 min timer).

One option that occurs to me (since you can invite players), would be training exercises for clans to work on strategies and battle against live targets and being able to communicate.  This was done frequently in WoT clans, so may be missing out on this in PTS unless there's a large group that is willing to try this out.

Edited by dashtardly
Added more info, updated bullet#2

[DOG]
Members
153 posts
6,205 battles

In the game settings, under controls is a new checkbox option - "All scenarios of the Training Room", however, trying it out checked and unchecked I couldn't really see a difference.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,489 posts
2,439 battles

Yes, this is my experience too.  Player vs. bot is essentially worthless, currently.

If I wanted to play against a bunch of other players, well, we already have that.  (Cf. LWM's Death Races)

Now, a "Challenge Match" format might be interesting, but it's not what I want in a Training Room.

And didn't I hear something about formal observers?

[HI-C]
Members
99 posts
7,899 battles

Disappointed in the training room.  Merely static targets is worthless. Best for maneuvering and battling practice requires them to move, fire, and react.  Also, it would provide an excellent opportunity for practice with CV air ops (straffing and ma ual drops) if targets would engage in combat.  For this, options to turn off bot AA, yet have airgroup movement would be best.

Sign in to follow this