You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Ford GT Lovers - Check this out!

38 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I still like the original GT40 more than any of these... but man this one.. well let's say if you gave me a week in one, I wouldn't say no. 

• Cool 5

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,426 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I still like the original GT40 more than any of these... but man this one.. well let's say if you gave me a week in one, I wouldn't say no. 

You have made it when you have Ford GT. I like the blue with white stripes

Members
4,571 posts
6,518 battles

What is it for unless you live in the wide open spaces of Merica. Like the Great Planes or Mid-West..................useless in NY or Chicago, or much of LA, Boston??  Get outta the big urban areas. While ya can! :Smile_great:

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

Jeremy Clarkson had GT lust, bought one, and ending up hating it.  He couldn't keep it on the road.  Maybe they've gotten better

On 12/28/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ghostdog1355 said:

I like the blue with white stripes

That's the American international racing colors - blue with white stripe or white with blue stripe.

1,542 posts
26 battles

I love ford cars. My dream car is a Ford Mustang <3 they had a brown and silver one in the lot near my house that made me drool lol Beautiful location and goddess, listen to that baby purr! <3

GT cars look so controlled on the road, it's such a powerful looking car. But, as always, I wonder where you can fit the shopping...

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
On 1/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, WolfofWarship said:

I love ford cars. My dream car is a Ford Mustang <3 they had a brown and silver one in the lot near my house that made me drool lol Beautiful location and goddess, listen to that baby purr! <3

GT cars look so controlled on the road, it's such a powerful looking car. But, as always, I wonder where you can fit the shopping...

You don't! You have Jeeves, your butler chauffeur them home. Or you simply order everything online and have them delivered to your "staff". 

• Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it that much, it looks like a toy.  I prefer the styling of the classics and I wonder why we don't see more cars look like them.

gang29.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[TDG]
Members
1,196 posts
6,055 battles
On 1/14/2018 at 10:58 PM, Sventex said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it that much, it looks like a toy.  I prefer the styling of the classics and I wonder why we don't see more cars look like them.

gang29.jpg

If you like the classic Mustangs, here is a story on the Bullitt car from the movie:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,147 battles
23 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

If you like the classic Mustangs, here is a story on the Bullitt car from the movie:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen

Bullitt is one of my favorite movies.  Nobody else could've played Frank Bullitt but Steve McQueen.  

I heard somewhere (thought I've not been able to confirm it) that they were going to bring it back to the theaters this year (in a limited run) for it's 50th anniversary.  I hate going to the theaters, but will go see this one in a heartbeat.  

b

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

What a great story!  Thanks for posting the link.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I know Revology Cars are producing the old Mustangs again, but the 6 figure price tag puts them out of my budget.  Maybe I'll get lucky somehow and pick one up used someday.

Also, lovely story about the original Bullitt Mustang.

Edited by Sventex

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I wonder how long before they produce THE mustang... the 1970 Boss 302... 

I wouldn't hold my breath.  The Boss has a unique engine that would be very expensive to get approved in anything like its original form.  And without the engine, it would be just a badge.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

I kinda made a pass at the Boss with my '85.  Long rods, huge flowing heads and exhausts.  But I had to drop compression down to about 10.5:1 and run a streetable cam.  Sumbitch would still break loose in third gear, and showed the real problems with the Fox platform: it's floppy.  Even with the stiffened front end, it would have needed a full cage and some serious rear end mods to be trackable.  Had a Panhard rod and was looking seriously at a torque arm rear, but the thing was eating money way too fast, so I kept it for a while but ended up selling it.  The guy that bought it did a full interior restoration and left my work intact. 

The last I saw it, the thing looked really sweet.  Black hatchback, completely stock exterior except for little Cobra badges in place of the '5.0', Momo wheels.  Total sleeper.  Like cocaine, just way too much fun.  :Smile_child:

Added:  This is before the resto.

1_3.thumb.jpg.77ba4d0ad4f64ecada4a541b33c89583.jpg

Note the lack of tailpipes - there are turndowns behind the wheels.  And behind the front door seam you can see the headers hanging down.  (This may be from when I had the wrong headers - the ones for the automatic transmission - that hung down too far.  The ones for the manual transmission fit perfectly with no clearance issue.  And Bassani did the swap for free!)

Here's the engine built and ready to go in.

1_8.jpg.af11f3eac16abd6a2cc8a6c9acf2735b.jpg

Here's the engine and Griggs subframe installed.  Saves about 60 lbs. Note the large late-model brakes.

1_9.thumb.jpg.02523fc9a4fab12d19cbdf7033b59b1b.jpg

Yep, wrong headers.  Look at all that unneeded clearance.  Couldn't even get over a pushy speedbump!

Edited by iDuckman

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Had a 1996 Mustang GT like when I lived in Arizona:

986282831.jpg

No performance beast but she was a great drive in the open air of Airuhzona... especially fun in the drive from Phoenix to Payson via the Beeline highway... 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

Great place to have a convertible.  Mine had a removable sunroof (not T-tops; those were a chassis disaster) that I loved to remove in TX and FL. 

I would like to have driven the turbo 4 SVO.  That was supposed to have a really nice chassis setup.  And I like how Ford has done the new ones.  They captured the essence of the originals.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Yup... you know what's worse... I remember as a kid, walking into a Ford/Lincoln Mercury dealership in the late 60's, dragging dad towards the Mustang on the showroom floor... didn't work... we got a Mercury Montclair, 2 door, 390 v8 2bbl. Dang. Fresh out of high school, I visited another LM dealership and pressed my face against the side window glass of a brown-ish Pantera... sticker price 9,999.95 I kid you not. It was a dark, almost olive color, not this color - but the shape is unmistakable. 

607827ebd8c8be12c04c849ff76e86ff54f9c736

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

I've never been a huge fan of the Pantera styling, at least until they started putting ground effects on them.  But with a 351 V8, I bet it would have been fun.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

Daytona, 30 minutes in.  Ford GTs are running 1-2 in class (GT Lemans) ahead of Corvette, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari. (No Aston Martins - AM won LeMans last year.)

---

3 hours to go.  Ford GTs are still running 1-2 in class on the same lap, one and two laps up on the mighty Corvettes.  Sure wish I had cable.

---

2 hours to go.  Ford GTs are still running 1-2 in class, but Hand has gone down a lap, still 50 sec. in front of Jan Magnussen's Corvette, which is closing.  This could be a dynamite finish.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,430 battles

Daytona.  50 minutes to go.  Ford GTs are running 1-2 in class, within 3 seconds of each other.  Magnussen is out of the lead Corvette, which has gone down two laps.  The GTs are probably safe unless something breaks.  So far very reliable, but anything can happen.  Just ask the Porsche that crashed on the warm-up lap.

--

35 minutes to go.  With a two-lap cushion, the GTs have slowed to 2:00' laps.  Real-time results at https://scoring.imsa.com/

--

Checkered flag.  GTs by two laps over the Corvette C7.Rs   LeMans is going to be fun this year.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1