You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
fourteenfour

Battle of North Cape Week 3 is just downright stupid.

19 comments in this topic

Members
463 posts

So for one star you have to be the first to spot a British or German ship, then to double down on the absurdity there is a two star mission to be first to spot twelve battleships...   really guys how poor of mission design can you make? You are certainly exceeding your previous efforts in bad design.  But wait, the other two star mission is to do 50k damage to enemy battleships in one battle; okay I know this one is easy but I really don't care to repeat missions.  Really? 

Or you can go wallet warrior and Duke of York and hit the Citadel of a ship five times in any number of battles.

This is just really poor design, that or a blatant attempt to prop up DOY sales

Edited by fourteenfour
  • Bad 1

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Only people who spend the first 10 minutes moving in circles at 1/2 speed think spotting missions are hard. Want to know the secret to completing them: Spawn as a CL/DD, press w 4 times, don't touch your rudder. At high tiers you are nearly GUARANTEED to spot at least a German BB.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles
7 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

So for one star you have to be the first to spot a British or German ship, then to double down on the absurdity their is a two star mission to be first to spot twelve battleships...   really guys how poor of mission design can you make? You are certainly exceeding your previous efforts in bad design.  But wait, the other two star mission is to do 50k damage to enemy battleships in one battle. Really? 

Or you can go wallet warrior and Duke of York and hit the Citadel of a ship five times in any number of battles.

Better yet, do the easy one multiple times. Sure you only get the reward once, but you keep collecting the stars.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles
12 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

So for one star you have to be the first to spot a British or German ship, then to double down on the absurdity their is a two star mission to be first to spot twelve battleships...   really guys how poor of mission design can you make? You are certainly exceeding your previous efforts in bad design.  But wait, the other two star mission is to do 50k damage to enemy battleships in one battle. Really? 

You don't have to complete every mission and you can do completed missions again but you won't get the reward again.

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

I have to kind of agree with the OP but not so much with the Week 3 challenges as with the Week 4 challenges.

The 2 point tasks are "Earn One Dreadnought" or "Earn One High Caliber".  Unfortunately I have zero control over earning Dreadnought as it is completely dependent on enemy ships firing at me and being lucky enough to get just enough fire to tank the damage while not taking too much fire and getting sunk.    High Caliber is also a bit much as well. I do score them now and again but it isn't like just hop into a match and score one whenever I want.  That leaves me with scoring 150k damage to enemy BBs, 5 times in a row or getting some lucky main battery incapacitations to clear the task.

Week 5 is also a bit much as it pretty requires you to play DDs and be good at them to clear the task.  1 point  for 11 torpedo hits or 2 points for 90k damage in a single battle using Torps.  I mean I guess I could go for the 10 BB kills and knock out 150k XP before having to knock out another 45k XP for the final task.  Honestly it is a bit much and even with playing a couple hours a night, there is no way in hell I can complete it.  

I mean I like the fact they are giving away a Tier 8 premium but the challenges aren't really something a normal player with maybe 15 hours a week to play the game can work toward.   

So grats to all those that can invest the time and effort to get this ship for free, but they might as well have not had a campaign at all as far as I am concerned.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,844 posts
11,546 battles

50K damage to BB in one battle is pretty easy.  The 'be the first to spot a KM BB in a RN CL' one was quite stupid. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Skillfast with it's low concealment ftw

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,943 posts
7,518 battles
12 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

50K damage to BB in one battle is pretty easy.  The 'be the first to spot a KM BB in a RN CL' one was quite stupid. 

"Quite stupid" is apparently happening quite often, lately.

• Cool 1

[PYRO]
Members
7 posts
3,544 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

I have to kind of agree with the OP but not so much with the Week 3 challenges as with the Week 4 challenges.

The 2 point tasks are "Earn One Dreadnought" or "Earn One High Caliber".  Unfortunately I have zero control over earning Dreadnought as it is completely dependent on enemy ships firing at me and being lucky enough to get just enough fire to tank the damage while not taking too much fire and getting sunk.    High Caliber is also a bit much as well. I do score them now and again but it isn't like just hop into a match and score one whenever I want.  That leaves me with scoring 150k damage to enemy BBs, 5 times in a row or getting some lucky main battery incapacitations to clear the task.

Week 5 is also a bit much as it pretty requires you to play DDs and be good at them to clear the task.  1 point  for 11 torpedo hits or 2 points for 90k damage in a single battle using Torps.  I mean I guess I could go for the 10 BB kills and knock out 150k XP before having to knock out another 45k XP for the final task.  Honestly it is a bit much and even with playing a couple hours a night, there is no way in hell I can complete it.  

I mean I like the fact they are giving away a Tier 8 premium but the challenges aren't really something a normal player with maybe 15 hours a week to play the game can work toward.   

So grats to all those that can invest the time and effort to get this ship for free, but they might as well have not had a campaign at all as far as I am concerned.

Dreadnought is almost laughably easy in RN cruisers, particularly the ones with the super heal. Otherwise repair flags + Superintendent on almost any battleship will do it. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,250 posts
17,264 battles
24 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The one like that for week two was a bit crazy... Basically I did the only thing I could do; Look at the team charts, look at the spawn during countdown, decided the odds were good one of the two German BBs on the Red team was in front of me, hit W four times and charged. (In an Emerald, no less.)

Thing is; I got my 'first to spot,' a decent score, and actually survived that battle.

[RLGN]
Members
8,250 posts
17,264 battles
8 minutes ago, StorkPatrol said:

Dreadnought is almost laughably easy in RN cruisers, particularly the ones with the super heal. Otherwise repair flags + Superintendent on almost any battleship will do it. 

If the Reds are good little enemy players and don't focus you to death. Yes, you have some control over that; but It can still happen pretty fast.

(apologies for the triple.)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,844 posts
11,546 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

The one like that for week two was a bit crazy... Basically I did the only thing I could do; Look at the team charts, look at the spawn during countdown, decided the odds were good one of the two German BBs on the Red team was in front of me, hit W four times and charged. (In an Emerald, no less.)

Thing is; I got my 'first to spot,' a decent score, and actually survived that battle.

I don't recall what the week two one was, I finished up all those (except the one you need DoY for) without really paying attention.

I would care more about the crazy task that encourage yolo'ing more it you needed to complete them. 3 out of 5 was enough to unlock the final task so.. no big deal, although it means I probably won't get the 'with honors' 

[RLGN]
Members
8,250 posts
17,264 battles
2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

although it means I probably won't get the 'with honors'

Yeah; achievement tasks annoy the flip out of me; those'll probably keep me from getting that as well.

Must be nice to be a player with enough experience/skill to toss off getting achievements like throwing candy to kids in a parade. For me, it's more like; 'I got one? Cool.'

Seriously; the biggest joke task of all is the 'Get any 25 achievements.' task in the Yamamoto campaign. (I suppose 25 'Devastating Strikes would be the easiest way to do that...)

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
2 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

You may or may not realize you don't have to do this task to unlock the final task and move forward. you can repeat easier tasks to get the stars.....you wont get the repeated rewards but you will at clear put the final task.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah; achievement tasks annoy the flip out of me; those'll probably keep me from getting that as well.

Must be nice to be a player with enough experience/skill to toss off getting achievements like throwing candy to kids in a parade. For me, it's more like; 'I got one? Cool.'

Seriously; the biggest joke task of all is the 'Get any 25 achievements.' task in the Yamamoto campaign. (I suppose 25 'Devastating Strikes would be the easiest way to do that...)

The difference being that one is not time limited.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,943 posts
7,518 battles
59 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I get any ach and I bounce in my chair. I get a heroic ach and they have to call in the EMT's. The EMT's have been called 3 times today.

They have yet to show up, b***erds.