You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ruthless4u

Best Premium Ship for 25 dollars?

39 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
291 posts
358 battles

Looking to buy a premium, but with my low battle count and relative inexperience I'm not looking to spend a lot, around 25 dollars if possible. Most of my experience is in cruisers and battleships as I have no intrest in carriers and royally suck in destroyers.

Not looking for a particular nation, just a fun ship to play as an alternative to pure grinding when the need hits.

Members
1,459 posts
12,332 battles

I would say the Graf Spee if you do not have it.  Tier 6, good torps and guns, good survivability for cruiser, has heal... does well in tier

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,238 battles

You don't even have 500 battles on your account. Wait until you've got at least that much. By then you'll know what type of ship you generally like. Knowing if you like destroyers, cruisers, battleships or carriers is very important. Once you know that, then you'll be in a position to make a far better informed decision on buying a premium ship.

After you know that, look into each premium ship regardless of cost. Once you've narrowed it down, save up and get that ship. You'll be far happier with your purchase if you patiently get a ship you're more likely to play long term.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,359 posts
12,148 battles

I have a tremendous amount of fun with Duca D'Aosta. She is squishy as are all other CL but she is a terror to DD's and she can do good damage over time. You have to wiggle your tush a lot with her.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,416 posts
9,558 battles

Giulio Cesare.  It is a Tier 5 Italian battleship, and it is currently on sale for only 2,600 (I think?) doubloons in the tech tree.  You can buy doubloons in the premium shop if you don't have enough.

It is a great battleship that some think will end up getting pulled eventually for being overpowered.  This means that even though you will face Tier 6 and 7 frequently, you can still fairly easily be competitive.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 5

[HINON]
Members
9,031 posts

You can always pick a ship now that looks interesting since they are on sale and not use it in random battles until you have a tech tree ship of the same tier and a bit of experience.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,359 posts
12,148 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

Giulio Cesare.  It is a Tier 5 Italian battleship, and it is currently on sale for only 2,600 (I think?) doubloons in the tech tree.  You can buy doubloons in the premium shop if you don't have enough.

It is a great battleship that some think will end up getting pulled eventually for being overpowered.  This means that even though you will face Tier 6 and 7, you can still fairly easily be competitive.

She is a pretty safe ship at that.

Members
2,562 posts
12,434 battles

What tech tree lines are you working on? One of the main benefits of buying a premium is being able to swap him out of multiple ships. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,633 posts
13,609 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

What tech tree lines are you working on? One of the main benefits of buying a premium is being able to swap him out of multiple ships. 

Yes that is so important I have a lot of 19 Point captains because of Premium ships

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles

Here's what you wanna do. Go to this page:

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/gold/1543/

Buy yourself 5200 doubloons - that'll cost less than $25. Go to the Italian tech tree tab, and buy yourself the Giulio Cesare.

She's a tier V battleship, her armor isn't great and her AA is meh (long-range AA is poor but the mid-range AA s pretty good for a tier V), but she's fast, very maneuverable, stealthy, and her guns are very good (high-velocity, fairly accurate, great penetration and damage for the AP, great damage and fire chance on the HE), not to mention the turrets themselves turn fast.

To be honest, she's pretty OP and it's probably not going to be for sale much longer in the game. In fact, I'd wager that this is the last time they'll sell her, considering she puts up damage numbers that would be exceptional among tier VII battleships.

But most importantly, she's fun, and will teach you a lot about handling your armor - because she doesn't have much of it.

I would highly recommend her.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
291 posts
358 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

German and American.

Its going to be awhile before I get any serious playtime, I get about 5 battles a night lol

[BB22]
Members
142 posts
22,462 battles
8 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

It is a great battleship that some think will end up getting pulled eventually for being overpowered.  This means that even though you will face Tier 6 and 7 frequently, you can still fairly easily be competitive.

This, sails like a cruiser but very much a battleship. Up tiers without a problem. 

[PVE]
Members
9,749 posts
7,472 battles
1 minute ago, Ruthless4u said:

German and American.

Its going to be awhile before I get any serious playtime, I get about 5 battles a night lol

Before you pull the trigger on a particular ship, do go to @LittleWhiteMouse's post below and look over the ship you are thinking about. She will tell you the stats and what ship(s) it is close to. She is a unicum (very, very good player) and the best thing I like is she will explain why she likes it. I have seen a few ships that she did not like, but she explained what it was about and why she did not like it and I found that it would fit my style, so I bought it. Also she will be the first to tell you to check other ship reviews as well, but IMO, LWM is the gold standard for the others to match.

Also check out Hangglide's threads for new players. He can point you in the right direction for how to play the game and all the little things you learn by playing.

Welcome to the game. Good Luck and Fair Seas.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,179 posts
11,693 battles
8 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Buy yourself 5200 doubloons - that'll cost less than $25. Go to the Italian tech tree tab, and buy yourself the Giulio Cesare.

She's a tier V battleship, her armor isn't great and her AA is meh (long-range AA is poor but the mid-range AA s pretty good for a tier V), but she's fast, very maneuverable, stealthy, and her guns are very good (high-velocity, fairly accurate, great penetration and damage for the AP, great damage and fire chance on the HE), not to mention the turrets themselves turn fast.

To be honest, she's pretty OP and it's probably not going to be for sale much longer in the game. In fact, I'd wager that this is the last time they'll sell her, considering she puts up damage numbers that would be exceptional among tier VII battleships.

But most importantly, she's fun, and will teach you a lot about handling your armor - because she doesn't have much of it.

Pretty much all of this.

Members
2,562 posts
12,434 battles
12 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Do not do this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete waste. you cant use this captain but for one other ship. make sure you have a full tech tree line to use this captain with.

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,521 battles

My first response would be to add $5 to what you want to spend and get the Scharnhorst.  It is an extremely fun ship that has characteristics of both BBs and Cruisers and can actually easily act as a trainer for both German BBs and Cruiser interchangeably.  

If you absolutely have to stay under $25 then look at the following ships.

Dunkerque - Love this ship and easily one of my top performers, however it doesn't play like anything else in the game except maybe the Nelson so the reason to get this ship is because you want something different.  French BBs will be out soon as well.

As for Tech tree stuff consider any of the following:

Arizona - Great USN BB, powerful and lots of fun but suffers from being slow like all other lower Tiered USN BBs.

Graf Spee - Great cruiser with very big guns for its size. However requires a bit more skill to play effectively you have big but low DPS guns similar to a BB on a ship with cruiser armor.

Warspite - Great British BB....if you can deal with the pitifully slow turret rotational speeds.

Guillo Cesare - Fun little Tier 5 Italian BB.  Guns are kind of small for a BB and annoyingly inaccurate with dispersion that loves to troll you, however oddly enough, I manage very large amounts of damage with them despite all that.  

I won't comment on DDs are I generally am not a big fan of DDs and believe that you have to be extremely skilled to really make good use of them.  Also most cruisers, while great, tend to be a handful for new players because they aren't very forgiving of mistakes. I make exception for the Graf Spee but then again it isn't exactly a traditional cruiser.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles

With your battle count there are no ships in the Premium Shop that I would suggest for you. Your best bet would be one of the tier 3 premiums - Russia -  Aurora, Oleg, or UK - Campbeltown that you buy for doubloons out of the tech tree in the game. The tier 2 premiums are best for those with more experience as are the tier 5 plus ships.

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,521 battles
2 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Do not do this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete waste. you cant use this captain but for one other ship. make sure you have a full tech tree line to use this captain with.

Why not?  Italian BBs aren't that far off, probably later this year and if he got the Guillo Cesare now he would have plenty of time to insure he had a 19 point captain to drop into them once they did actually come out.    Nothing wasteful about it, I mean it isn't like anyone is recommending him the Polish Blys which will never be part of any full tech tree.

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,521 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

With your battle count there are no ships in the Premium Shop that I would suggest for you. Your best bet would be one of the tier 3 premiums - Russia -  Aurora, Oleg, or UK - Campbeltown that you buy for doubloons out of the tech tree in the game. The tier 2 premiums are best for those with more experience as are the tier 5 plus ships.

Sorry, got to completely disagree with you here.  What is wrong with him getting a mid-tier premium that he can grow into?  Sure he might not have a ton of battles under his belt or be able to make the best use of a higher tiered ship right now but your recommending him ships that he is going to grow out of and quickly and ones he won't likely ever go back and play again once he reaches mid level.  Honestly, Tier 5 is about the lowest Tier in this game that I find myself going back to if I want enjoyable game play.  Also you have to consider income potential.  Tier 3s are generally worthless as credit earners where as at Tier 5 you can at least have respective income generation in the 200-300k range per match w/premium and average skills.  Lastly, the vast majority of campaigns and events require a minimum Tier 5 ship.    If he is going to buy one premium ship and has $25 to spend it would be absolutely stupid of him to buy the ships you recommend.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles
16 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Did you not read the OP?

Not looking for a particular nation, just a fun ship to play as an alternative to pure grinding when the need hits.

^^^^^^

This is what the OP said, word for word. If they had asked for a ship that was good for grinding, I'd have given a different answer. However, Giulio Cesare fits the bill perfectly, and guess what? We're going to have an Italian (cruiser) line this time next year. How long do you think it'll take for the battleships to show up after that?

Just because it took until now for French BBs to be released, didn't mean that buying Dunkerque (released about the same time as German BBs, in the summer of 2016) was a bad idea when it came out. The same can be said about Warspite, who was released back in what, beta? We only got RN BBs this fall, that's about a 2 year gap.

Cesare is no differentShe's a great ship, she's fun, and she's low tier, perfect for a relatively new captain (100-games ish).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
Just now, Midnitewolf said:

Sorry, got to completely disagree with you here.  What is wrong with him getting a mid-tier premium that he can grow into?  Sure he might not have a ton of battles under his belt or be able to make the best use of a higher tiered ship right now but your recommending him ships that he is going to grow out of and quickly and ones he won't likely ever go back and play again once he reaches mid level.  Honestly, Tier 5 is about the lowest Tier in this game that I find myself going back to if I want enjoyable game play.  Also you have to consider income potential.  Tier 3s are generally worthless as credit earners where as at Tier 5 you can at least have respective income generation in the 200-300k range per match w/premium and average skills.  Lastly, the vast majority of campaigns and events require a minimum Tier 5 ship.    If he is going to buy one premium ship and has $25 to spend it would be absolutely stupid of him to buy the ships you recommend.

Mid tier means he would be seeing tier 7's and 8's and with his level of experience he would be in far far over his head. With my suggestion for a touch over $5 he would have a premium and would be fighting ships of tiers he has experience with. Down the road as he gets more seasoned he can get something of a higher tier.