Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Harv72b

What's Changed?

20 comments in this topic

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

So I stopped playing WoWs about a year ago (right before the Soviet DD split)...no real reason, just one day I didn't log in and that day multiplied.  Now they've tempted me back with the offer of free goodies, and I'm just wondering if any other veteran players would be kind and patient enough to answer this stupid n00b question.

Any major changes in the game mechanics, in particular?  I primarily played destroyers back when, with a smattering of cruiser play.  Have they done anything about the lackluster CV playing experience yet?  Are IJN torpedoes still ridiculously slow and easy to spot?  Does the Ocean map still exist?  Have they ditched Bastion mode?  Are Soviet guns still best guns?

I figure I'll pop in for some PVE matches to test the waters, just hoping that somebody will be kind enough to help accelerate my (re)learning curve.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,524 posts
7,587 battles

They got rid of open water stealth firing. Now whenever you fire your guns, your detection is your main guns firing range. So you can’t fire from stealth unless you’re behind an island firing over it. They also have a spotting penalty from firing from within smoke. So now you have a certain detection range while firing from inside or behind smoke. IJN torps are still easily spotable. So basically, don’t fire your guns while playing a DD unless you’re in a Soviet DD who doesn’t care about being spotted lol.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
2 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

They got rid of open water stealth firing. Now whenever you fire your guns, your detection is your main guns firing range. So you can’t fire from stealth unless you’re behind an island firing over it. They also have a spotting penalty from firing from within smoke. So now you have a certain detection range while firing from inside or behind smoke. IJN torps are still easily spotable. So basically, don’t fire your guns while playing a DD unless you’re in a Soviet DD who doesn’t care about being spotted lol.

Ugh.

Is the Kiev still the trolliest emblem of magnificence that it was before the split, at least?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,803 battles

Any major changes in the game mechanics, in particular?   Yes - Smoke firing has changed significantly.  Every ship now has a smoke firing penalty which you can find under concealment info.  IE to prevent battleships from being smoked up for offensive purposes.  

Have they done anything about the lackluster CV playing experience yet?  Umm kind of..  US CV's got a bit of a rework - but from what I understand it is more so a temporary fix.  They removed strike vs AS loadouts and now each CV has a standard "balanced" loadout which is only 1 fighter group up to Tier 9.  

Are IJN torpedoes still ridiculously slow and easy to spot?  Yes - I mean their not necessarily slow - ever played with F3's??  but they are easy to spot..  If you want to play torpedo boat you should play the PADD's, just don't expect to torp any dd's in them.  

Does the Ocean map still exist?  Yes, technically it does - but you will only find it within tier 10 MM and very rarely from my understanding.  Maybe 1 in 50 matches.  

Have they ditched Bastion mode?  Yes - thank god.

Are Soviet guns still best guns?  Were they ever the best?  Depends on what you mean by best... they generally have flatter arcs - but I'd still rather shoot USN AP at short to medium ranges.  Also, German ships now have 1/4 pen HE so they can be monsters and reward ammo switching - to burn things to the ground or punish broadsides with AP.  .  

There have been other changes in the game.. such as new ship lines, new premiums, new sounds and graphics (which look great).. new game modes such as Clan Battles..  Things I'd like to see...  MORE MAPS... reworked CV... reworked Ranked game mode.   

Still.. some progress has been made imo - good luck on the seas!  

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
11 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

Any major changes in the game mechanics, in particular?   Yes - Smoke firing has changed significantly.  Every ship now has a smoke firing penalty which you can find under concealment info.  IE to prevent battleships from being smoked up for offensive purposes.  

Have they done anything about the lackluster CV playing experience yet?  Umm kind of..  US CV's got a bit of a rework - but from what I understand it is more so a temporary fix.  They removed strike vs AS loadouts and now each CV has a standard "balanced" loadout which is only 1 fighter group up to Tier 9.  

Are IJN torpedoes still ridiculously slow and easy to spot?  Yes - I mean their not necessarily slow - ever played with F3's??  but they are easy to spot..  If you want to play torpedo boat you should play the PADD's, just don't expect to torp any dd's in them.  

Does the Ocean map still exist?  Yes, technically it does - but you will only find it within tier 10 MM and very rarely from my understanding.  Maybe 1 in 50 matches.  

Have they ditched Bastion mode?  Yes - thank god.

Are Soviet guns still best guns?  Were they ever the best?  Depends on what you mean by best... they generally have flatter arcs - but I'd still rather shoot USN AP at short to medium ranges.  Also, German ships now have 1/4 pen HE so they can be monsters and reward ammo switching - to burn things to the ground or punish broadsides with AP.  .  

There have been other changes in the game.. such as new ship lines, new premiums, new sounds and graphics (which look great).. new game modes such as Clan Battles..  Things I'd like to see...  MORE MAPS... reworked CV... reworked Ranked game mode.   

Still.. some progress has been made imo - good luck on the seas!  

Very much appreciated!  Since it seems that WarGaming still requires update files which rival the Library of Congress in size, I'll have plenty of time to study up on these changes. :Smile_facepalm:

I was referring to the Soviet "Stalinium" rounds which seemed to penetrate everything from any angle.  I think I'm basically gonna be PVE'ing it for a while, and then test the waters in my trusty ol' Clemson & Fujin.  The lack of smoke-firing is going to require some heavy adjustment on my part.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,803 battles
7 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Very much appreciated!  Since it seems that WarGaming still requires update files which rival the Library of Congress in size, I'll have plenty of time to study up on these changes. :Smile_facepalm:

I was referring to the Soviet "Stalinium" rounds which seemed to penetrate everything from any angle.  I think I'm basically gonna be PVE'ing it for a while, and then test the waters in my trusty ol' Clemson & Fujin.  The lack of smoke-firing is going to require some heavy adjustment on my part.

Of course.  If you are going to start out with dd's - generally speaking you don't have to worry too much about smoke firing penalty since it is very minimal for DD's.  For cruisers you should be aware - but also generally its not too big of a deal.  It really affects battleships the most.   

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
5 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

Of course.  If you are going to start out with dd's - generally speaking you don't have to worry too much about smoke firing penalty since it is very minimal for DD's.  For cruisers you should be aware - but also generally its not too big of a deal.  It really affects battleships the most.   

Yeah, was just looking at my old stats & it even surprised me to see that 74.4% of my battles were in DDs. :Smile_teethhappy:

I meant to ask before, but does radar still see through islands?

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
2 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I meant to ask before, but does radar still see through islands?

It totally still does. :cap_like:

Beta Testers
1,307 posts
6,556 battles
46 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Ugh.

Is the Kiev still the trolliest emblem of magnificence that it was before the split, at least?

Kiev is pretty trolly still, but I think people have gotten better at hitting RU DDs than before.

You might be thinking "ugh" about the stealth fire removal now, but overall it's been a really good change for the better.   Detection range when firing = gun range, so it's pretty simple.  Some ships suffered for sure, but aside from the initial uproar, there wasn't any complaints with it.
The recent big change was the smoke change.  To put it simply, you now have another detection range when you fire from behind or in smoke.  Every ship is different but in general, DDs = ~2.5, CA/CL = ~7, and  BBs = 15. 
Overall it's made things a lot less campy in ranked, and smoke a lot less cheesy.   I'd say the game has improved since you've left.

Oh, and the French cruisers are new, right?  They're basically lightly armored, high dpm HE machines.  Sorta like the Russians, but with large caliber guns.  Solid torps but carry very few.  Also have speed boost, which makes them very tricky to hit at range.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,503 battles
1 hour ago, Harv72b said:

answer this stupid n00b question

Maybe Warships.Today is messed up, but according to them you have played 767 PvP battles in the last 30 days. I've played 74 over the same span, who's the n00b?

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
13 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

It totally still does. :cap_like:

Yay. :cap_tea:

2 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Kiev is pretty trolly still, but I think people have gotten better at hitting RU DDs than before.

You might be thinking "ugh" about the stealth fire removal now, but overall it's been a really good change for the better.   Detection range when firing = gun range, so it's pretty simple.  Some ships suffered for sure, but aside from the initial uproar, there wasn't any complaints with it.
The recent big change was the smoke change.  To put it simply, you now have another detection range when you fire from behind or in smoke.  Every ship is different but in general, DDs = ~2.5, CA/CL = ~7, and  BBs = 15. 
Overall it's made things a lot less campy in ranked, and smoke a lot less cheesy.   I'd say the game has improved since you've left.

Oh, and the French cruisers are new, right?  They're basically lightly armored, high dpm HE machines.  Sorta like the Russians, but with large caliber guns.  Solid torps but carry very few.  Also have speed boost, which makes them very tricky to hit at range.

I had one game in the old Kiev where I wound up 1v3 against 2 cruisers and a battleship, all grouped together, with ~6 minutes left in the match.  We still lost on points, but by the time the clock ran down I'd sunk one of the cruisers and burned the other two ships down to 1/4 health. :Smile_teethhappy:

Hmmm, maybe have to dip my toe back into the cruiser pool, then.  I was on the Nurnberg in the German line, plus a few ARP ships.  I gave up on the US line after slogging through 50 battles in the Pensacola & realizing that the rest of the line wasn't really going to be that much better.

Really do appreciate all these replies, it seems like the forum has also improved since I was last here! :Smile_honoring:

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
8 minutes ago, LB_Binghamton said:

Maybe Warships.Today is messed up, but according to them you have played 767 PvP battles in the last 30 days. I've played 74 over the same span, who's the n00b?

It is messed up.  I can only figure that it's going off of my last 30 days as opposed to the calendar.  If this update ever finishes loading I can see if it corrects itself after I've actually entered another lobby.

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

It is messed up.  I can only figure that it's going off of my last 30 days as opposed to the calendar.  If this update ever finishes loading I can see if it corrects itself after I've actually entered another lobby.

I'm sure it's their screw up, I'm just messing with you.

I really don't know why I even check in over there anymore.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
2 minutes ago, LB_Binghamton said:

I'm sure it's their screw up, I'm just messing with you.

I really don't know why I even check in over there anymore.

Either way, you still have more battles than I do so I'm obviously the n00b. :Smile_teethhappy:

While you're there, check out my killer ranking with the Bogue.  I'll never play another game in her, have to protect my stats.

Edited by Harv72b

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The Best changes are yet to come with the next patch. No more changing code or using Mods for the Training Room, It in the Game along with Co-OP, Random, Ranked,and Clan Battles.

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,503 battles
3 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Either way, you still have more battles than I do so I'm obviously the n00b. :Smile_teethhappy:

While you're there, check out my killer ranking with the Bogue.  I'll never play another game in her, have to protect my stats.

Looks like Warships.today got it figured out with the right numbers for you.

You got 44 games on me, plus you're actually good. You walked away from the Bogue after one game as a Super-unicum, I would play that thing to death, I would need 10 disaster games in a row to walk away from that.

• Funny 1

Members
5,098 posts
3,075 battles
6 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Ugh.

VMF DDs aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, no more Khab spam in every Tier X match, but they're still annoying sure.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
2 hours ago, LB_Binghamton said:

Looks like Warships.today got it figured out with the right numbers for you.

You got 44 games on me, plus you're actually good. You walked away from the Bogue after one game as a Super-unicum, I would play that thing to death, I would need 10 disaster games in a row to walk away from that.

I realized how insanely lucky I got in that 1 game--IJN CV who couldn't aim his planes on the other team, all solid players on mine. :Smile_teethhappy:

1 hour ago, goldeagle1123 said:

VMF DDs aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, no more Khab spam in every Tier X match, but they're still annoying sure.

Yeah, my "slow, cautious" return to the game lasted about 5 PVE matches before I jumped right in.  The "new" (to me) Kiev isn't as good as I remembered the old one being, but I'm not as good as I was when I was playing every day either.  Got a few games in that & did okay, she's still trolly as heck & fun to melt people from range with.  Even managed a halfway decent game in the "new" (to me) Trashkent.

I should have asked y'all if the "try your luck" containers were still a waste, but whatever...I left myself in pretty good credits/signals shape when I stopped playing before. :cap_win:

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
5 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The Best changes are yet to come with the next patch. No more changing code or using Mods for the Training Room, It in the Game along with Co-OP, Random, Ranked,and Clan Battles.

Oh, shoot, that's what I needed to ask!  Is the replay "system" still unsupported & buggy as heck?  Then again, I guess I can see for myself now... :cap_wander:

Beta Testers
1,307 posts
6,556 battles
1 hour ago, Harv72b said:

I should have asked y'all if the "try your luck" containers were still a waste, but whatever...I left myself in pretty good credits/signals shape when I stopped playing before. :cap_win:

It's really up to whether you want those supercontainers or no.  I think most people decided it wasn't so much the "try your luck" option that was bad, but the supercontainers themselves.  They're just too inconsistent.  Some people might love 100+ Papa Papa flags.  Others might cry.  The regular containers on the other hand, especially the flag one, provide you with important items that you can more or less control.  And you can still get supercontainers!

Sign in to follow this