You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madwolf05

I r DD Potato. Plz help - Fletcher, Kidd, Lo Yang

14 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

I finally gave in yesterday and decided I really need DD advice. The excuse that I'm rusty after a a small break doesn't hold water anymore.

My primary DDs atm are the higher Tier USN style gun boats listed above. I know I just am not getting the damage I should, and dying too early too often.

I really need some overall advice about that issue, but really need some extra advice on Capping, Positioning, and most of all torpedoing.

Plz help me not-be a Super Spud and graduate to Potato Peeler!

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,084 posts
8,994 battles

Great another Salty Bait and Switch post... I don't get why you think the DD has to do all the damage.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Keep in your mind that you need to spot first and foremost. 

If there's a DD in a cap, nothing says you have to enter it. Hover around outside and spot it for your team.

There's nothing wrong with letting the enemy take a cap. Afterwards, he'll prolly be heading your way.

For torping, one set om the indicator, the other two before and after the indicator. Before and after meaning half of your indicator should cover half of the target indicator.

Just some generalized thoughts.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,589 battles

High tier USN DDs haven't been gunboats in a long time. You need to be very selective in when you actually use your guns vs disengage and re stealth. 

I play plenty of games in my Fletcher where I have not fired more than a dozen shells. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

High tier USN DDs haven't been gunboats in a long time. You need to be very selective in when you actually use your guns vs disengage and re stealth. 

I play plenty of games in my Fletcher where I have not fired more than a dozen shells. 

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

USN DDs offer a lot more utility than just gunboating and smoking up your team but it requires keen situational awareness and instincts (which come with the sheer repetition of playing a lot of matches and continuing regular practice) to read whats going on, quick reactions, finesse, and an opportunistic streak.  

Some good USN DD performances involve doing a crap-ton of damage, but many don't, instead involve denial of areas and good positioning or counter-moves to lead your team with your senses/spotting.  

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles
47 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

don't die first.  

Tried to give you a funny, but I ran out of upbotes for the day. I do try, it is actually a very key component to winning in any ship, but especially DDs.

I get less patient in them over say a CV though, because it's not as clear when the risk vs reward is in your favor or not.

I just dislike playing at the moment and feeling like I'm not taking the correct actions to lift us to a better shot at the win.

45 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Keep in your mind that you need to spot first and foremost. 

If there's a DD in a cap, nothing says you have to enter it. Hover around outside and spot it for your team.

There's nothing wrong with letting the enemy take a cap. Afterwards, he'll prolly be heading your way.

For torping, one set om the indicator, the other two before and after the indicator. Before and after meaning half of your indicator should cover half of the target indicator.

Just some generalized thoughts.

Really good advice, and the first part on capping is a reminder I really needed. I think part of my issue is being impatient when I should be providing smoke and vision so the team can aid me in moving the odds in our favor.

The torpedo info is also very nice. I tend to try and do that, but have been frustrated with the results. May be I just expect too much?

Do you have any other torpedo tips? What do you prefer to do with only 2 torpedo launchers or even just 1?

37 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Very good advice. I think I might be in the mindset of lower Tiers where duking it out was a major part of the job and surviving those encounters was much easier. 

How often do you engage larger ships, and from what ranges? Do you run the FCS upgrade or AFT? Do you feel the extra range when spotted hurts you in any noticable manner?

Thanks for all the helpful, and even witty responses guys. I always appreciate it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles
58 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

don't die first.  

This sounds silly but a DD contributes more at the end of the game then the beginning.  Don't  go for the peer pressure to CAP CAP CAP at the beginning without weighing the odds of what DDs you are likely to face, which radar cruisers are on their team and how many are actively supporting you.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Yes, and I'll add for anyone else looking for tips, sitting in smoke is generally a super bad idea at the start of a match, or when you're near bunched enemies, or if your team loses vision because of it.

This will generally result in you being torpedoed, your team taking fire from unseen ships, or both. Most Cruisers that run smoke run Hydro to avoid getting killed for the same exact reason.

Simple way to remember this is: "Lose the sight, lose the fight."

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

I meant to relate that to capping, but forgot lol.

My reminder to myself is you can't cap if you're dead. That Kagero got A and died? Great! You just earned your team dozens if not 100s of points by simply not suiciding for a cap, and counter-capping.

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

Also, on USN DDs I consider anything that extends gun range to be counterproductive overall. 

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,768 battles

I'll just emphasize what others have already said in this thread.

My Fletcher performance increased significantly after switching to more of a torp-boat play style.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
18 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

I'll just emphasize what others have already said in this thread.

My Fletcher performance increased significantly after switching to more of a torp-boat play style.

You really have to remind yourself to not gunboat, especially since the vision changes.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
2 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Really good advice, and the first part on capping is a reminder I really needed. I think part of my issue is being impatient when I should be providing smoke and vision so the team can aid me in moving the odds in our favor.

The torpedo info is also very nice. I tend to try and do that, but have been frustrated with the results. May be I just expect too much?

Do you have any other torpedo tips? What do you prefer to do with only 2 torpedo launchers or even just 1?

I also have the issue of of being impatient. I honestly have to "make" myself calm down when I haven't played in a while. Once you get in that mindset, I swear the battle overall usually runs more smoothly when you don't have rushing on your mind.

Torpedoes are another story though.

The main thing to try to figure out is where the target is heading. If you can get your torps (at least) heading that way, you can accomplish a few things. One of those of course is actually hitting him, but even if you don't hit, you are making it take evasive maneuvers. While it's turning, it could be opening itself up to a broadside to a friendly. I always try to keep that in mind when I miss. It helps me stay calm and not get frustrated. Heck, he could even run away!

If you only have two sets, you kinda have to use your own judgment on where to aim. If I see he really only has one option to go, that's where I point them.  Just remember you don't have to launch both sets at the same time. Many times I find it's better to keep a set in reserve, or at least wait a few seconds to see if the target changes direction. The majority really don't pay attention to how many sets you've sent. All in all, Torp'n sure ain't easy.

A few other offhanded thoughts.

Try playing a few matches where your sole purpose is to not get spotted, say the first half of the battle.

Try a few matches where you never fire your guns.

You can even try to visualize that you only have 3k hp. That should at least make you be more cautious, but still make you feel you should stay heading toward the enemy (not necessarily pushing hard).

Running DDs I find you have to put yourself in a certain mindset because of all the variables you have to deal with. If you can settled yourself down, you're gonna find things click.

DDs are more of a "thinking mans" game.

Aslains modpack "alt hud/naviagtor" is a must. I can't remember if you're a mod guy or not, but it makes a lot of difference. Anything in my book to help you get torps on target is worth it.

Edited by Wulfgarn