You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Repair and damage control?

13 comments in this topic

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles

When should you use repairs (Key R) and when should you use damage control (key T)? Both at the same time?  Explain best use for these pls. Bit confused bout this.

Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles

Only time I use them both simultaneously is if a torp hit causes flooding, because a torp hit generally does enough repairable damage to make it worth using.

If I get one fire, I usually hit repair, which will basically cancel it out as it burns, then save the DC for 2+ fires.

Otherwise, try to avoid using repair until you have an appreciable amount of damage it can be used on.

One time I use DC when I wish I could avoid it, is rare steering/propulsion hits on BBs. (all my CAs/CLs have Last Stand) It really sucks when your rudder gets stuck and you can only watch in horror as you present a perfect broadside to several ships.

Just treat them as two separate effects. Use DC when you need to stop a DOT/debuff (like multiple fires or stuck rudder) and use repair whenever you have enough repairable damage showing. (or know there will be, like a single fire left to burn)

Members
3,488 posts
6,187 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Only time I use them both simultaneously is if a torp hit causes flooding, because a torp hit generally does enough repairable damage to make it worth using.

^^^^^ This - same here....

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If I get one fire, I usually hit repair, which will basically cancel it out as it burns, then save the DC for 2+ fires.

Otherwise, try to avoid using repair until you have an appreciable amount of damage it can be used on.

One time I use DC when I wish I could avoid it, is rare steering/propulsion hits on BBs. (all my CAs/CLs have Last Stand) It really sucks when your rudder gets stuck and you can only watch in horror as you present a perfect broadside to several ships.

Just treat them as two separate effects. Use DC when you need to stop a DOT/debuff (like multiple fires or stuck rudder) and use repair whenever you have enough repairable damage showing. (or know there will be, like a single fire left to burn)

Tks. Being an idiot, as I have said many times here, I am easily confused as to using "what" and "when" to use it. This helps.  Tks.  When do I hit W key? What is it for? :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
1 minute ago, injunmick said:

Someone needs a boot to the head.  :cap_cool:

Heh.  I actually gave you a "cool" for this remark. :Smile_honoring:

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,747 posts
3,490 battles

Glad you asked! This is an important part of the game most players are truly bad at, and the difference between many sinking or surviving.

Damage Control Party:

* This is the consumable that stops Flooding, Fires, and Repairs damaged modules, including AA and Secondary Guns.

* The Standard and Premium versions differ in reload time. It is highly recommended to use Credits to always buy and equip the Premium Version.

* If you chose DCP there is an arrow, on the Premium Version, next to the Dubloons or Credits. Select Credits and Auto-Reload. You'll seldom lose money in a battle because of Consumables.

* When should DCP be used? The general rule of thumb is on 3-4 fires, or flooding unless your out of combat, and won't die. Although if you won't be engaged for another minute or two, using it is a perfectly wise choice.

* You can use it on 2 fires if it is a critical situation where you might die and Repair Party is down.

* If you ever see a DD (or know a Cruiser probably launched toroedoes at you), or were attacked by a CV with HE DBs, but haven't seen his TBs yet, assume torpedoes are on the way and actively turn into where they're likely coming from. Unless it's critical, don't use DCP until you know your not about to take flooding damage.

* DCP also has an "immunity timer," which is longer on USN ships, that prevents any fire or flooding for a few seconds once activated. This can be used situationally to live by a hair, but in practice it takes experience and lots of luck to survive that situation.

Repair Party:

* Repair Party in general, repairs 0.5% of your HP every second for 28 seconds, which is 14%. 

* It's reload time is sped up by using the Ptemium Version, which also gives you an extra use. Combined with Superintendent it gets 2 extra uses. You absolutely should be running both.

* There is a flag that buffs the heal by 20%, or roughly 17% repair instead of 14%.

* Certain ships like the Colorado, and RN BBs and CLs get a better version that heals more every second.

* Repair Party heals all flooding, fire, and HE damage, and at least 10% of citadel damage. Some ships, like those mentioned a above, get more citadel damage healed.

*  The general rule on when to use Repair Party is anytime you're going to use it to maximum ability.

* If you understand fire damage burns 18% of your HP, without any reductions, then you can use Repair Party on a single fire to repair most of the damage.

* With reductions and the 20% Repair Party Boost it is usually best to wait until you have 2 fires or have endured one fire and are taking another before using repair. It starts to become a bit of an "eyeballing it" test at this point. Waiting too long coupd mean you die with plenty of Repairs left, or too early and you waste it.

Overall it's best to be more liberal with Repair Party, and conservative with Damage Control Party, as most fires are more scary than ship threatening. The worst feeling is to really need one or the other and have neither.

It takes a little getting use to, but once you start remembering the general guidelines you'll farm Dreadnaughts in your BBs, and occasionally a Cruiser. Hell I got one in my Kidd!

It's really a game changer.

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,404 battles
5 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Heh.  I actually gave you a "cool" for this remark. :Smile_honoring:

lol, so you get it then. Wonder how long it will go on?

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
2 minutes ago, injunmick said:

lol, so you get it then. Wonder how long it will go on?

SIR! I do not know SIR!

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
11 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Glad you asked! This is an important part of the game most players are truly bad at, and the difference between many sinking or surviving.

Damage Control Party:

* This is the consumable that stops Flooding, Fires, and Repairs damaged modules, including AA and Secondary Guns.

* The Standard and Premium versions differ in reload time. It is highly recommended to use Credits to always buy and equip the Premium Version.

* If you chose DCP there is an arrow, on the Premium Version, next to the Dubloons or Credits. Select Credits and Auto-Reload. You'll seldom lose money in a battle because of Consumables.

* When should DCP be used? The general rule of thumb is on 3-4 fires, or flooding unless your out of combat, and won't die. Although if you won't be engaged for another minute or two, using it is a perfectly wise choice.

* You can use it on 2 fires if it is a critical situation where you might die and Repair Party is down.

* If you ever see a DD (or know a Cruiser probably launched toroedoes at you), or were attacked by a CV with HE DBs, but haven't seen his TBs yet, assume torpedoes are on the way and actively turn into where they're likely coming from. Unless it's critical, don't use DCP until you know your not about to take flooding damage.

* DCP also has an "immunity timer," which is longer on USN ships, that prevents any fire or flooding for a few seconds once activated. This can be used situationally to live by a hair, but in practice it takes experience and lots of luck to survive that situation.

Repair Party:

* Repair Party in general, repairs 0.5% of your HP every second for 28 seconds, which is 14%. 

* It's reload time is sped up by using the Ptemium Version, which also gives you an extra use. Combined with Superintendent it gets 2 extra uses. You absolutely should be running both.

* There is a flag that buffs the heal by 20%, or roughly 17% repair instead of 14%.

* Certain ships like the Colorado, and RN BBs and CLs get a better version that heals more every second.

* Repair Party heals all flooding, fire, and HE damage, and at least 10% of citadel damage. Some ships, like those mentioned a above, get more citadel damage healed.

*  The general rule on when to use Repair Party is anytime you're going to use it to maximum ability.

* If you understand fire damage burns 18% of your HP, without any reductions, then you can use Repair Party on a single fire to repair most of the damage.

* With reductions and the 20% Repair Party Boost it is usually best to wait until you have 2 fires or have endured one fire and are taking another before using repair. It starts to become a bit of an "eyeballing it" test at this point. Waiting too long coupd mean you die with plenty of Repairs left, or too early and you waste it.

Overall it's best to be more liberal with Repair Party, and conservative with Damage Control Party, as most fires are more scary than ship threatening. The worst feeling is to really need one or the other and have neither.

It takes a little getting use to, but once you start remembering the general guidelines you'll farm Dreadnaughts in your BBs, and occasionally a Cruiser. Hell I got one in my Kidd!

It's really a game changer.

Excellent!  Tks. For sure I have been dumb at times with those repair and damage control things. Fires are scary. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,747 posts
3,490 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Excellent!  Tks. For sure I have been dumb at times with those repair and damage control things. Fires are scary. 

It's all good man. We've all been where you are. If you want to be good at something you have to start, which usually means you're bad at it.

When you play with experienced Divisions or above average players you'll notice that they tend to call out if a ship they're attacking used DCP or not, to help get that lasting damage. There is always some silly banter about people using it on a single fire. While it might be silly, it also helps ingrain it in your mind as a basic principle on how to use it properly.

Members
4,569 posts
6,516 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

It's all good man. We've all been where you are. If you want to be good at something you have to start, which usually means you're bad at it.

When you play with experienced Divisions or above average players you'll notice that they tend to call out if a ship they're attacking used DCP or not, to help get that lasting damage. There is always some silly banter about people using it on a single fire. While it might be silly, it also helps ingrain it in your mind as a basic principle on how to use it properly.

Tks again.  Some may have thought my question was dumb but I figured out that there had to be an "art" to using repair and damage.... when to use them and why. Things can be more complicated than they seem. You never really stop learning things in this game.  Carry on mate.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
897 posts
7,289 battles

Watching Twitch and Youtube, I tend to differ on the timing of the repair party.    Those I watch tend to get pretty low on HP before firing it off.   I keep asking "why not sooner"?

Personally, I fire it when I'm down about a third in HP.   Get it close to full and then repeat.

It's a great question DM.