You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Flattrak

Tier 8 sucks

76 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,957 battles

In WoT and WoWs, T8 is considered one of those rough patches with matchmaking. If you are willing to endure and make it to T9, then you will never have to worry about a ship that is 2 tiers above you. 

Members
4,555 posts
6,481 battles

:Smile_Default:  Above tier 4 I have seen ALL the tiers lambasted as sucking. Is there a "perfect tier" after 4?  I wanna go there.

[O_O]
Members
4,415 posts
9,558 battles
35 minutes ago, Flattrak said:

Last 18 matches 16 of them are tier 10. Might as well call tier 8 the new tier 10

My experience hasn't been anything close to that.

Since I have started keeping track of my low tier games, in Tier 8 I have played 80 games.  33 of those I was bottom tier, or 41%.

The only tier I have been getting screwed in is Tier 5, at over 70% bottom tier.

Members
4,555 posts
6,481 battles
13 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

yes, tier 7

Well I just bought tier 7 Scharn, my first tier 7, so it is nice to know I have finally found a heavenly tier! The PERFECT tier. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

Most tier VIII ships are competitive against tier X. You might not be able to tank and may have to play second fiddle to a larger vessel, but you can still inflict heavy damage on top tier ships.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
33 minutes ago, dmckay said:

:Smile_Default:  Above tier 4 I have seen ALL the tiers lambasted as sucking. Is there a "perfect tier" after 4?  I wanna go there.

T10 and to a lesser degree T7.

Your welcome.

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
108 posts
12,892 battles
14 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Most tier VIII ships are competitive against tier X. You might not be able to tank and may have to play second fiddle to a larger vessel, but you can still inflict heavy damage on top tier ships.

Exactly so.   Yes it is tougher.   Yes a T8 in a T10 game will be punished for mistakes, but with smart play there is no reason a T8 can't rack up good numbers when up-tiered.  Though still a scruby scrub skill wise, I learned more about ship tactics, positioning, and flow of the battle when up-tiered at T8 against T10s than at any time before.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
42 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

My experience hasn't been anything close to that.

Since I have started keeping track of my low tier games, in Tier 8 I have played 80 games.  33 of those I was bottom tier, or 41%.

The only tier I have been getting screwed in is Tier 5, at over 70% bottom tier.

Yes, I played my share of T8 games recently, and the MM was pretty fair.  Also, I noticed that population of tier 7 ships being played is substantially higher than population of tier 10 ships.  And tier 8 MM is being affected by both when it places you in the game.  The moment tier 7 population pulls your ship into match, you don’t get to see any tier 10s.

There may be some sort of event that promotes tier 9-10 gameplay for certain rewards at times, like Yamamoto campaign when it first opened, that’s when you may experience higher influx of tier 10 matches.  But normally there are more tier 7s out there.  Plenty of good ships there and fun to be had.

Edited by Veksha

Members
1,459 posts
12,332 battles

Don't think the question is "can tier 8 be competitive with tier 10", of course they can be... but "can't I be top or middle tier some of the time?".  I like my tier 8 ships, but in random most of the time I am bottom tier, many times one of the only tier 8s in the game.  I usually jump from ship to ship, have way too many to play in a night and 9 times out of 10, in a tier 10 game if I jump into Atago, Kag, Bis/Tirp, PE, LoYang, MK.  Want to play tier 8, but if I am going to always be tiered up, guess I should drive one of my tier 10s instead.

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
9,004 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Well I just bought tier 7 Scharn, my first tier 7, so it is nice to know I have finally found a heavenly tier! The PERFECT tier. 

Lol it's the same for my Gneisenau. All the other tier 7s I have played so far are not bad either.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles

Only Tier VIII Cruisers and CVs do not scale well for Tier X matches.  Tier VIII BBs and Destroyers however, are perfectly fine in there.

The Cruisers have no staying power compared to the IX-X Cruisers that have Repair Party as a standard feature.  IX-X Cruisers also have better, faster firepower.  Charles Martel thinks it can be cute for a VIII Cruiser until a Hindenburg, Zao, Henri IV puts her in her place with stronger guns and often faster firing attacks.

The CVs of the tier get devoured by Tier X AA.  'Nuff said.  Even Yamato, considered to have the worst AA of all Tier X BBs in the game, will swat Lexington's "sturdy" US aircraft.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
9,004 battles
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Only Tier VIII Cruisers and CVs do not scale well for Tier X matches.  Tier VIII BBs and Destroyers however, are perfectly fine in there.

The Cruisers have no staying power compared to the IX-X Cruisers that have Repair Party as a standard feature.  IX-X Cruisers also have better, faster firepower.  Charles Martel thinks it can be cute for a VIII Cruiser until a Hindenburg, Zao, Henri IV puts her in her place with stronger guns and often faster firing attacks.

The CVs of the tier get devoured by Tier X AA.  'Nuff said.  Even Yamato, considered to have the worst AA of all Tier X BBs in the game, will swat Lexington's "sturdy" US aircraft.

I have said it many times that if a Cruiser is classified as a Heavy Cruiser it should get repair party since right now we have the some do and some don't thing going on with the Heavy Cruisers and it would be nice to just standardize the repair party on them.

Now the light Cruisers I can understand keeping the repair party off of those, but denying some of the Heavy Cruisers repair party while others get it seems odd to me.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,247 posts
3 hours ago, ENO75 said:

No tier 10 in ranked...

Exactly.   I'm convinced that this is why certain ultrasquishy cruisers are so popular (and do well) in ranked.   You're always top tier.   They're more competetive, because you play only against the ships you're balanced against.

Added bonus:  the silly amounts of XP you get- esp on a win- will speed the heck out of a grind!   (esp right now with the +200% first win event, and all the type 59's they are tossing around)   Got me my Baltimore in a really big hurry!   I want to go for Roon next,  but I'm having too much fun playing New Orleans!

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Martel is far from the worst of the T8 CA. It's fairly OP in many ways.

They do need repair party, and badly.  I know people say what about the T7s then. Ok, in the 6% of games the T8 isn't bottom tier they get a cookie for getting their teeth kicked in the other 94% of the time.

Like you say the DDs are fine, there big jump for them is 7 to 8.  The BBs are fine, they're tailor made to be easy for taters.  

CVs... Yeah they get wrecked.  I've lost the majority of an Enterprise strike for almost no damage on a Yamato. I've also completely wiped out an Enterprise strike with a Des Moines... Without defensive fire.

Aircraft health could use some leveling off and AA adjusted along with it.  Scaling too hard makes it tier sensitive and since you can only have one CV matched up against another CV of the same tier then the scaling is purely against the AA off surface ships.

Flattening the scaling of aircraft health would mean CV do better uptiered and worse at top tier. Most people would say that CV are too strong top tier and too weak bottom.  Problem, meet solution.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
3 hours ago, Flattrak said:

Last 18 matches 16 of them are tier 10. Might as well call tier 8 the new tier 10

As a playable tier, tier 8 is officially dead. Dont waste any money on tier 8 premiums.  Alabama, Roma, Graf ... all are a waste of money becase of this crap MM. 

• Cool 4

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Tier 8 Ships are tier 10 fodder. Tier 8 Ships Snipe and hide as much as possible. Tier 8 Ships can do well if driven to their full capabilities against tier 9 or 10 ships. Tier 8 gets the short end of the shyt stick by the MM.

• Cool 1

Members
2,392 posts
7,710 battles

Fun thing, T8 complain e that only have T10 battles. But T6 complain that only gets T8 battles. How is this possible?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
35 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Fun thing, T8 complain e that only have T10 battles. But T6 complain that only gets T8 battles. How is this possible?

Which is why when I do a Tier VIII BB, I have no problems with it.  Some guys just want to be top tier all the time and the only tier that can truly say that is Tier X.  Even Protected Tier IV has to occasionally fight Tier V.  Kongo, Caesar, NY / TX, Konig vs the likes of Wyoming, Myogi, Phoenix isn't a contest at all.