You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordAdmiral_Craven

Is HMS Hood worth getting?

33 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
55 posts
788 battles

I've always wanted to get the Hood since it was released, due to the history surrounding the ship, and being a pretty big fan of the Royal Navy itself. However, now that it's on sale for Christmas, I was just wondering if it would be worth my money to get it. I know it had some mixed reviews when it was released, and I'd just like to know if anything has changed, for better or worse.

Thanks for the help!

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,575 battles

She isn't a bad ship and I've enjoyed her, hits hard.  She isn't on the top of my list for favorites (Scharnhorst is) but she's a keeper because of the history aspect.

• Cool 2

[MIA-A]
Members
2,039 posts
9,807 battles

She's not an amazing ship.  She's not a bad ship.  HMS Hood sits in a position of mediocrity.  Maybe someday they'll buff her and she'll become a good ship, but for now she's workable, and the speed is pretty nice.

• Bad 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles

Yea I bought it when it came out. I'm not overly impressed with it yet. The shell dispersion has a curve to it that I haven't gotten use to yet. Probably need to back and look the modules I picked and the captain skill. Speed is good though.

55 posts
788 battles
6 minutes ago, Volron said:

:Smile_Default:

Alright just after watching that video, I am feeling god tier British. I'll go make a cup of tea and buy the Hood. Cheers!

• Funny 1

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,575 battles

Agreed, the speed is a very good thing for her tier.  She can take a punch but figuring out her angling can be tricky at times.  When in a tier 8 match, you have to pay close attention to positioning against ships like Tirpitz and Bismark.

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

If you want her, now is the time to get her since she is on sale.

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles

Picked it up on a Santa Crate, as stated above, just OK.  In my few battles, can hold it's own, has good speed, but guns are just ok and and have not really seen that aa in any way.  Have much better premium BBs to play and don't need a RN BB captain trainer (have Nelson and Warspite).  If you do not have a captain trainer, it is OK, but better BBs out there.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

The Hood came out with special missions and a collection.

Buy the Hood, and you get an advantage on the collection, campaign, and some other 'easy button' perks.

Prizes for the collection and campaign was special 'from the bottom' camo for both Bismarck and Hood, and a free Bismarck.

Controversy was over the 'Rocket' AA, and how dreadfully overpowering it was for any plane to get too close to it. 

--Reality showed Rocket AA as a failed experiment.  But this is a game:  It works.

Prizes for the collection and campaign was special 'from the bottom' camo for both Bismarck and Hood, and a free Bismarck.

Without these events..  Is it worth it? 

That's like asking if the Duke of York is worth it come February when all the missions and campaigns are over.

I did pretty good on the Hood, and I'm doing rather well on the Duke of York too. 

The camo for the New Mexico, Gaude, La Galissonnier, and Queen Elizabeth is not bad either.

Difference here is that you can earn the Duke of York, but the complaint was that one couldn't earn a Hood.  I guess this is more like the Graf Spee deal.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,039 posts
9,807 battles

So after giving my opinion that Hood is a mediocre ship, I decided to play her heavily for the last 3-4 days.  I'm finding I quite like this ship.  Still rather average, but if you get used to her, gosh is she fun.  Should you get her, you will be frustrated, though.  You'll have your kills stolen over and over in this ship.  So many times you get an enemy down to 1-2k health...so many.  Also, I recommend accuracy mod over AA range mod.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles

I may buy the Hood as she’s on sale, Ive got a special 19 Captain Dunkirk I could put in some of his special skills will not work however if it works could make a change

55 posts
788 battles
10 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

So after giving my opinion that Hood is a mediocre ship, I decided to play her heavily for the last 3-4 days.  I'm finding I quite like this ship.  Still rather average, but if you get used to her, gosh is she fun.  Should you get her, you will be frustrated, though.  You'll have your kills stolen over and over in this ship.  So many times you get an enemy down to 1-2k health...so many.  Also, I recommend accuracy mod over AA range mod.

I've had nothing but fun in her since I bought her. It was a bit of a change of play style, certainly, but I adjusted fairly well. She's a gorgeous ship.

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,559 battles
8 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I may buy the Hood as she’s on sale, Ive got a special 19 Captain Dunkirk I could put in some of his special skills will not work however if it works could make a change

Jack, for me, works best in cruisers (Belfast & Mino).

Members
2,388 posts
7,693 battles
On 28/12/2017 at 2:46 PM, LordAdmiral_Craven said:

I've always wanted to get the Hood since it was released, due to the history surrounding the ship, and being a pretty big fan of the Royal Navy itself. However, now that it's on sale for Christmas, I was just wondering if it would be worth my money to get it. I know it had some mixed reviews when it was released, and I'd just like to know if anything has changed, for better or worse.

Thanks for the help!

Hood isnt a terrible ship, but both Warspite and Neslon are better ships. 

Hood is a decent tank, with a huge HP pool and decent armor when angled. Good turrets firing angles, amazing speed, and OP AA (with DF active). The problem with Hood are the guns, they are meh, the rest of the ship is fine and good. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

She's a good ship, but you have to realize the guns penetrate like cruiser guns.  If you shoot at the waterline on battleship targets, you will usually shatter shells.  If you shoot at the upper belt and superstructure, you will get large quantities of 33% damage penetrations, and few or no over-penetrations.

She annihilates cruisers.

Edited by crzyhawk

55 posts
788 battles
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

She's a good ship, but you have to realize the guns penetrate like cruiser guns.  If you shoot at the waterline on battleship targets, you will usually shatter shells.  If you shoot at the upper belt and superstructure, you will get large quantities of 33% damage penetrations, and few or no over-penetrations.

She annihilates cruisers.

I've had enormous fun decimating cruisers with her so far

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

Most BB drivers drive her like they do other battleships and she struggles because of it.  Cruiser drivers drive her like a heavily armored cruiser and they kick tail with her.  Frankly, BB drivers give her a bad name because they don't know how to aim with it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles

Hood is one of my favorite ships in game. NO regrets at all with mine and I find the guns work just fine. I do think it needs a slight buff though. IMO the 30 second reload is too much seeing as the ship sees T8 and T9 ships with much larger guns. 25 seconds like KGV would really help when the ship is bottom tier.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,808 posts
10,315 battles

Although Hood isn't quite as bad as I once thought, she is probably in the bottom 2 of T7 battleships - admittedly among a field with some superb ships such as Scharnhorst, KGV and Nelson.

The positives of her gimmick - short fuses and better autobounce - simply do not make up for a lack of firepower, penetration or accuracy. Yes, you can put some shells into the upper belt for solid '33' damage and yes some small proportion of AP may fuse inside that cruiser rather than overpen, but those seem niche bonuses and are far from consistent. You'll still put 5 overpens through that Myoko when you need it dead, and all battleships have some ability to go for the upper belt pens and not overpen. I routinely target the bow-on superstructure of USN BB's in USN BB's for instance. If I aim at the belt and miss high in a regular BB I'll still get some upper pens/overpens. If I miss low in a Hood it's shatter city.

In exchange Hood can't reliably get those citadels which do 3x as much damage and can only be 10% repaired by anything with a repair. A regular AP pen is 50% repairable by ships which can.

Hood is going for ~9,700 doubloons IIRC and it's the worst 9,700 doubloons I've spent so far. Scharnhorst is leagues ahead and an equivalent price. If you want to go wreck in ranked then for 6,800 doubloons you can get a T8 Lo Yang and make better money too. For fewer doubloons right now you could get an Atago, or almost 3 of the T6 prem cruisers on discount, or the more fun Dunkerque. Or if you're an RN fan and you don't have it already you could convert doubloons to FXP and get the Nelson.

• Bad 1

[THF41]
Members
249 posts
3,756 battles

Yes, I got her back in May during the event when she was first released and I'm Proud to say she's the Pride in  my Fleet.

Once you get used to how to handle her in game after a bit you will find she is a fine and fun ship to use in game.

• Cool 1

55 posts
788 battles
3 minutes ago, LordHood2552 said:

Yes, I got her back in May during the event when she was first released and I'm Proud to say she's the Pride in  my Fleet.

Once you get used to how to handle her in game after a bit you will find she is a fine and fun ship to use in game.

She's already become the pride of mine. Absolutely love her.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
16 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Jack, for me, works best in cruisers (Belfast & Mino).

Got him in my Belfast also

I looked Hood is not in the Wows shop to buy ... are they selling it ??

55 posts
788 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Got him in my Belfast also

I looked Hood is not in the Wows shop to buy ... are they selling it ??

It's available in-game for doubloons.