You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S842

Using a premium to train commanders question

15 comments in this topic

Members
176 posts
15,593 battles

I am a little confused as to how using a premium to train commanders works in WOWS.  In tanks, I can train a crew and then put it in any other tank so long as it is same country and tank type and no "retraining" is needed.  So, for example, my Super Pershing crew can be moved to the M46 or M48 without any retraining.

In WOWS, I trained a commander in my Molotov and moved it to the Shchors and no training was needed.  However, when I moved this same commander from the Molotov to the Chapayev I am asked to retrain the commander for 500 gold.  So does this mean that in WOWS when you train a commander in a premium, that commander can then be moved to only one non-premium ship without retraining for gold?  So I am going to have to use the Molotov to train a ship-specific commander for the Shchors, Chapayev and Moskva?  B-T-W, it is not the 500 gold payment that bothers me, but that since I am keeping all these ships it calls for a lot of time spent training several commanders.  In tanks I would just train one crew and than use that one crew in all the American medium tanks that I have - no need to retrain or use gold payments.

Thanks for any guidance here.

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts

If you moved from the molotov to schors and didnt need to retrain it means the commander was already trained for the schors. You can always move a commander trained on a tech tree ship to a premium without needing to retrain them. But when you move that commander to a new tech tree ship like the next one up the line, you will need to retrain for that ship but they can still be moved to the premium and use all their skills which can help train them for the new ship you want.

The wiki can help if you are still confused.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,122 battles

Each Captain is assigned to a specific ship...  example: Joseph is assigned to the Moskva.  Joseph is able to be moved to any Russian premium ship without issue and can earn XP without needing to be retrained.  If Joseph is assigned to another tech tree ship such as the Chapayev, he'll need to be retrained as it's a new tech tree ship.  Though, after this, Joseph is able to be moved to a premium ship without issue still.

Another potential issue is if Joseph is assigned to a premium ship such as the Kutz....and he's assigned to the Moskva....because he's being moved to a ship that he isn't assigned to, he'll need to be retrained.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,235 posts
12,772 battles

You can put a commander from any ship into a premium ship without retraining. Not vice versa.

You mentioned your Shchors captain going between your Shchors and your Molotov without needing to retrain. If that's the case you'll find that he's trained as your Shchors captain, not a Molotov captain; if he were trained as a Molotov captain he would need retraining to work in your Shchors at full effeiciency.

Moving any captain into a Chapayev will require training, because Chapayev is not a premium ship.

Members
176 posts
15,593 battles

Thank you for your answers.  Seems like I am doing the correct thing.  I just bought the Dmitri Donskoi with a 3-point commander and have put this commander in my Molotov for training.  Once trained, I will put him back in the Don.  I don't want to move and retrain any of my tech tree commanders (from Budyonny, Shchors or Chapayev) because I like playing them.  However, this is certainly a more time consuming way of doing things than is the case in World of Tanks, and meanwhile, until I have at least a 10-point commander my Don is going to stay in dock (fighting tier 9/10 is not what I want to do without a skilled commander).

[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

You mentioned your Shchors captain going between your Shchors and your Molotov without needing to retrain. If that's the case you'll find that he's trained as your Shchors captain, not a Molotov captain; if he were trained as a Molotov captain he would need retraining to work in your Shchors at full effeiciency.

I don't mean to be picky, but Molotov is a premium ship.  As such, a captain can't technically be trained for it.  (*Edit - I have been clarified.  A captain that comes with a premium ship has that ship listed as his home ship).

Steven Segal, for instance, is my captain for Missouri.  He was never trained for a tech tree ship, and still has Erie blacked out as his home ship (even though he hasn't been trained for that, but it displays the T1 by default).

For the most part I keep my premium ships without captains (there are a few exceptions because of ship specializations, e.g. Belfast).  My tech tree ship captains get moved into a premium when I want to play them so I can increase their captain XP, or retrain them without diminished skills if I have recently moved them to the next highest tech tree ship.

Edited by desmo_2

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts
13 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't mean to be picky, but Molotov is a premium ship.  As such, a captain can't technically be trained for it.

Steven Segal, for instance, is my captain for Missouri.  He was never trained for a tech tree ship, and still has Erie blacked out as his home ship (even though he hasn't been trained for that, but it displays the T1 by default).

For the most part I keep my premium ships without captains (there are a few exceptions because of ship specializations, e.g. Belfast).  My tech tree ship captains get moved into a premium when I want to play them so I can increase their captain XP, or retrain them without diminished skills if I have recently moved them to the next highest tech tree ship.

Actually you can train them for just the premium ship. It's not smart to do so but it is possible in the commander interface.

• Cool 1

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
1 hour ago, S842 said:

Thank you for your answers.  Seems like I am doing the correct thing.  I just bought the Dmitri Donskoi with a 3-point commander and have put this commander in my Molotov for training.  Once trained, I will put him back in the Don.  I don't want to move and retrain any of my tech tree commanders (from Budyonny, Shchors or Chapayev) because I like playing them.  However, this is certainly a more time consuming way of doing things than is the case in World of Tanks, and meanwhile, until I have at least a 10-point commander my Don is going to stay in dock (fighting tier 9/10 is not what I want to do without a skilled commander).

You might try this: change your Buddy captain to the Don, pay your 200k credits, and then play him in the Molotov until you've worked off the penalty, then train a new 3-pointer in it for Buddy.

Buddy is perfectly playable with only a 10-point captain (or less) at mid-tiers. You'll end up having both ships playable more quickly, than trying to grind 11+ points on one captain.

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
530 posts
8,569 battles
1 hour ago, S842 said:

In tanks, I can train a crew and then put it in any other tank so long as it is same country and tank type and no "retraining" is needed.  So, for example, my Super Pershing crew can be moved to the M46 or M48 without any retraining.

You must like playing with a severely gimped crew then. Haven't you ever noticed that when you move a crew from one tank to another (non premium that is), that his/their major qualification is red? Been a while but also pretty sure that you don't gain any crew experience until such a time as you re-train them for the new tank. I do know that you don't gain any crew XP towards skills and perks until the major qualification reaches 100%.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Training_and_Retraining_in_the_Major_Qualification

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Retraining_Commanders

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
23 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Actually you can train them for just the premium ship. It's not smart to do so but it is possible in the commander interface.

When I bought the Armada package last year, each premium came with a zero point captain trained for the premium. I kept them that way and then later moved the captains to the tech tree in the great skill reshuffle. I still have a 3 pt Krasny Krym captain that is waiting for RU BBs. The 10 pt captains you get with the Santa boxes come trained for the ship as well. So my Kidd, Okhotnik, Huanghe and Hood all have 10 point captains trained for those ships. I'll eventually move them to tech tree ships when I get a new one.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, S842 said:

I just bought the Dmitri Donskoi with a 3-point commander and have put this commander in my Molotov for training.  Once trained, I will put him back in the Don.  

I recommend that you play them both... Take him out in Molotov to get your 200% and fly XP / Commander XP signals. Then move him back to Dom (with victory multipliers / signals etc) and run Dom to get your benefits. That will accelerate training. 

Do this daily to accumulate the benefits of the daily victory multiplier. 

Edited by ENO75

[HINON]
Supertester
19,235 posts
12,772 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't mean to be picky, but Molotov is a premium ship.  As such, a captain can't technically be trained for it.

When you buy / win / receive a premium, the captain that comes with it is trained for the ship.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Incorrect. I actually have the captain my Texas came with and he's on his tenth skill rank and his qualification is on Texas. I can take a screen shot if you wish.

[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles

Hmmm, yes, I see I did not consider that when receiving a premium ship with a captain, the captain has that ship listed as his home ship.  Segal came as a stand-alone captain (as did Dunkirk, and any other captain won by himself, such as via Operations), and as such had no home ship.

I still see no way to train a captain who didn't come with a particular premium ship, so that his 'specialization' becomes that premium ship.  Not that there would be any advantage or reason to do so to begin with.

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,030 battles

My Jack Dunkirk was (and still is) specialized for the Black Swan.

There is a very good chance he won't get retrained until, and unless, we see RN DDs.  I have him currently optimized for Gallant.