Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Alabama is the Best BB for Ranked (Commentary+Clutch 1v3 win)

52 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

Tight maneuvering, great Toroedo reduction values and guns that hit like tanks have compelled me to call the Bama the best BB this season, and play it exclusively.  Commentary on its highlights, how I load her out, and on current trends in ranked.  This round was crazy.  Gotta watch the ending. 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
920 posts
5,948 battles

Oh yea, she's better then I was expecting...Same with the Kii to a lesser extent. People made it seem like the bama's sigma/dispersion was significantly worse then the NorCal, but it's not... A little yeah...But how well you aim is going to be the biggest factor.

 

 

EJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
6 minutes ago, m373x said:

 "No" - top BB players probably.

So would you consider Bismarck/Tirpitz better?  Those are the only two other options I see (outside the NC which is almost as good as the AL).  Problem with the Bismarck is it’s a brawler and brawler BBs aren’t quite suited to ranked as they rush in and usually get focused.  They’re guns are inferior to Bama’s, and while they have Turtleback armor, an AL or NC can easily take of 25k hit points if they are broadside.

Edited by NoZoupForYou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,267
Members
3,725 posts
15,042 battles
15 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

So would you consider Bismarck/Tirpitz better?  Those are the only two other options I see (outside the NC which is almost as good as the AL).  Problem with the Bismarck is it’s a brawler and brawler BBs aren’t quite suited to ranked as they rush in and usually get focused.  They’re guns are inferior to Bama’s, and while they have Turtleback armor, an AL or NC can easily take of 25k hit points if they are broadside.

 What I was saying is that I haven't seen a single Alabama in the high ranks or among the top BB players so far.  They seem to prefer NC over the Alabama which is understandable considering NC has better accuracy. Torpedo damage reduction is an insignificant factor when you are not in a position to eat torps to begin with, torpedo damage can be reduced or completely avoided by reading the match + good positioning on the map . Sigma on the other hand you can not influence no matter how good you are.

Edited by m373x
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
9 minutes ago, m373x said:

 What I was saying is that I haven't seen a single Alabama in the high ranks or among the top BB players so far.  They seem to prefer NC over the Alabama which is understandable considering NC has better accuracy. Torpedo damage reduction is an insignificant factor when you are not in a position to eat torps to begin with, torpedo damage can be reduced or completely avoided by reading the match + good positioning on the map . Sigma on the other hand you can not influence no matter how good you are.

Interesting.  I don’t notice the NC and Alabama’s accuracy to be too dissimilar at all.  Plus the better turning on the Bama helps big time.  Torps are inevitable at one point or another.  If you are not in a position to eat them at some point during the match something is wrong.  Can’t hang back the entire round now.

I suspect that many players passed over the Bama because of the initial bad press it received.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
2 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

good game!   you using double rudder shift or concealment? 

Rudder shift + concealment.  That 12.2km comes in handy sometimes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
3 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Interesting.  I don’t notice the NC and Alabama’s accuracy to be too dissimilar at all.  Plus the better turning on the Bama helps big time.  Torps are inevitable at one point or another.  If you are not in a position to eat them at some point during the match something is wrong.  Can’t hang back the entire round now.

I suspect that many players passed over the Bama because of the initial bad press it received.  

Also, a quick look at the stats on Shipcomrade.com show the Bama has made it as high as the NC, and as often.  Considering that one is a premium and one is not, it appears they are used equally.  I suspect anyone that owns a Bama is using a Bama and not the NC.  Obviously that number will be far less than NC owners.

Now Let’s not gloss over the fact the NC is phenomenal.  If it weren’t for the Bama, I’d say NC is the best.  They are both up there.  But for Ranked, the agility of the Bama is better.  The differences in Sigma wont be recognized by most players and don’t matter much within 10KM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

Obviously.

 

Sheeple will be sheeple.  I the whole scheme of battleship gun accuracy, the 0.1 difference in sigma, compared to NC,  is virtually nothing.

 

 

 

Regardless, I still choose first to Loyang.

Edited by lemekillmister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

You mentioned not seeing much of the Kidd early in the video. I think that’s because the Kidd is very strictly a gunfighter. That gives it two problems in the ranked meta. 

First is that every DD being played his season is a good gunfighter. The Kidd has it’s heal, but it can’t count on higher damage than its enemies. 

The second problem is that unlike in randoms, every enemy will target a DD that uses its guns, so every gunfight is really determined by which team focuses fastest. In randoms a DD which is dodging and weaving is a less appealing target than slower ships, and most enemies hang too far back from the caps to hit DDs accurately, but the second you are spotted in ranked you will have 6 enemies targeting you. 

What that means is that in typical ranked cap contests, the Kidd is really no better than a Benson but with half the torpedoes. 

My experience has been that the Kidd really doesn’t get to shine until later in a match when the teams are more dispersed, and when it can get into more 1v1 fights against other DDs without having 5 other enemies jump in. It’s a very different style than what works for the same ship in randoms.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,640 posts
7,476 battles
20 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

good game!   you using double rudder shift or concealment? 

Alabama cant use the 2nd rudder shift module, can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,804
[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
3 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Alabama cant use the 2nd rudder shift module, can it?

I didn't think that any BB could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Alabama cant use the 2nd rudder shift module, can it?

Alabama's first rudder shift boost is innate.  ; ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
461
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,541 posts
7,555 battles
3 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

What that means is that in typical ranked cap contests, the Kidd is really no better than a Benson but with half the torpedoes. 

My experience has been that the Kidd really doesn’t get to shine until later in a match when the teams are more dispersed, and when it can get into more 1v1 fights against other DDs without having 5 other enemies jump in. It’s a very different style than what works for the same ship in randoms.

^^ I concur.  I started off with the Kidd, and found it no better than Benson/Loyang  ... and have now moved a 19 point capt to my Z-23 with better results.

As to the topic at hand, Zoup, I agree that the 'Bama got some bad press, and is marginally better, with the concealment, but.. NC is my baby, and I have a better grasp on how I should play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63
[56TH]
Members
266 posts

while I do like the Alabama, its one of my favorites with 130 battles in her..

In ranked i like the Bismarck or the Tirpitz just for their secondaries over the Alabamas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,804
[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
16 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Also, a quick look at the stats on Shipcomrade.com show the Bama has made it as high as the NC, and as often.  Considering that one is a premium and one is not, it appears they are used equally.  I suspect anyone that owns a Bama is using a Bama and not the NC.  Obviously that number will be far less than NC owners.

Now Let’s not gloss over the fact the NC is phenomenal.  If it weren’t for the Bama, I’d say NC is the best.  They are both up there.  But for Ranked, the agility of the Bama is better.  The differences in Sigma wont be recognized by most players and don’t matter much within 10KM.

NoZoup, I look at it this way.  A big thing that premiums bring is the ability to move a captain into her at no cost.  So if you didn't have the NC but could afford to buy it back or it was sitting in your port without a captain, you'd have to pay 500 gold to move a captain into here.  OTOH, you could move some highly skilled captain from another ship into the Bama at no cost.

This is why I personally would end up using the Bama or Tirpitz instead of the NC or Bismarck, i.e. the not having to spend any gold to move a top notch captain into either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,804
[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
14 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

You mentioned not seeing much of the Kidd early in the video. I think that’s because the Kidd is very strictly a gunfighter. That gives it two problems in the ranked meta. 

First is that every DD being played his season is a good gunfighter. The Kidd has it’s heal, but it can’t count on higher damage than its enemies. 

The second problem is that unlike in randoms, every enemy will target a DD that uses its guns, so every gunfight is really determined by which team focuses fastest. In randoms a DD which is dodging and weaving is a less appealing target than slower ships, and most enemies hang too far back from the caps to hit DDs accurately, but the second you are spotted in ranked you will have 6 enemies targeting you. 

What that means is that in typical ranked cap contests, the Kidd is really no better than a Benson but with half the torpedoes. 

My experience has been that the Kidd really doesn’t get to shine until later in a match when the teams are more dispersed, and when it can get into more 1v1 fights against other DDs without having 5 other enemies jump in. It’s a very different style than what works for the same ship in randoms.

I guess that I've found the Kidd's guns to be quite superior and if you get the drop on an enemy DD you can often get in 2 volleys before he can get his turrets around and get his first one off.  And after that, the Kidd's higher RoF will win the day, as long as your aim is good enough to get full value out of that RoF.

The place where I find the Kidd lacking is that it's not a serious alpha strike threat  against heavy ships (i.e. non-DDs).  Oh, occasionally, you can get lucky and her one set of torps can nail a wounded enemy.  But for handing out serious damage to fully healthy ships, that one launcher of torps just isn't enough.  Now, you can do some useful smoke shooting and with its RoF, you can rack up some useful damage.  But it's not alpha strike damage.  It's more of the pew-pew-pew and fire  variety.  Hey, any damage helps, but I think that most would prefer having the alpha strike capability over the pew-pew-pew.  Or put another way, if you're in a late game situation, and it's your DD vs an enemy heavy, I think that any sane DD player would prefer the Benson (or Lo Yang or Hsienyang, etc.) over the Kidd due to the torps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
397
Members
2,398 posts
7,721 battles

I don know. Alabama and NC are good BBs, no dubt about that, but the best? I would say so. Both strugle a lot with that citadel, their positioning is very delicate. If the enemy HE/torp spam,rush or flank you and Bama/NC are done, they cant get out. Amagi and Bismark/Tirpitz can be more agreesive with their positioning and get away if needed.

 

So far Tirpitz is a surprise for me in ranked, in ranked you often need to put the carry pants and Tirpitz is well suited for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,459 posts
12,339 battles

Is amazing how some of the best games come down to a little bit of luck also, one hit taking a little more out of ya, and would be just another good game, but a defeat.  With the fewer number of players, that random element has a bigger impact in ranked.  That one unlucky detonation, blind torp spread that somehow catches someone, some derpy dispersed shell that amazingly catches a cit,  a great salvo late in the game that results in almost no damage, that one HE shell out of the 12 shell salvo fired at you at somehow sets you on fire (Thanks RNG)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,975 battles

Nice fight Zoup! It's funny when the red team smells blood and they all offer you their broadsides...

Why didn't you pop your spotter plane right at the end? Might have helped you spot those torps you narrowly missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,240
[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
12 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

Nice fight Zoup! It's funny when the red team smells blood and they all offer you their broadsides...

Why didn't you pop your spotter plane right at the end? Might have helped you spot those torps you narrowly missed.

Honestly, I normally don’t roll with a spotter plane so I just kind of forgot about it I guess.

Still, good thing for the 20% visibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,494
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,820 posts
5,510 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

So would you consider Bismarck/Tirpitz better?  Those are the only two other options I see (outside the NC which is almost as good as the AL).  Problem with the Bismarck is it’s a brawler and brawler BBs aren’t quite suited to ranked as they rush in and usually get focused.  They’re guns are inferior to Bama’s, and while they have Turtleback armor, an AL or NC can easily take of 25k hit points if they are broadside.

I used to write off the NC's improved accuracy as minor, until I actually tried it after one too many games of having Alabama throw shells as if I forgot to lock onto the target.  The better sigma is night and day over Alabama IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,340
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,588 battles
59 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

You mentioned not seeing much of the Kidd early in the video. I think that’s because the Kidd is very strictly a gunfighter. That gives it two problems in the ranked meta. 

First is that every DD being played his season is a good gunfighter. The Kidd has it’s heal, but it can’t count on higher damage than its enemies. 

The second problem is that unlike in randoms, every enemy will target a DD that uses its guns, so every gunfight is really determined by which team focuses fastest. In randoms a DD which is dodging and weaving is a less appealing target than slower ships, and most enemies hang too far back from the caps to hit DDs accurately, but the second you are spotted in ranked you will have 6 enemies targeting you. 

What that means is that in typical ranked cap contests, the Kidd is really no better than a Benson but with half the torpedoes. 

My experience has been that the Kidd really doesn’t get to shine until later in a match when the teams are more dispersed, and when it can get into more 1v1 fights against other DDs without having 5 other enemies jump in. It’s a very different style than what works for the same ship in randoms.

Very good writeup. I was questioning the assumption that Kidd would be a good competitive boat when it first came out. 

Seems like people may may have had it backwards. Trash in Ranked and okay in ransoms. 

Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×