Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
C6tom

Is the Hood any good now?

16 comments in this topic

[USNGL]
Members
85 posts
4,379 battles

I just got the Gallant and the Hood from Santa Crates. Is the hood worth keeping? I heard it was bad when it came out is it still bad or is it worth keeping now? Thanks for any and all help. 

[KNFA]
Beta Testers
214 posts
3,334 battles

Hood is worth keeping it isn't the best Premium Battleships at tier 7 but that doesn't make it bad you should play it for a while and see how you feel..

Doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it's bad it only matters if you think it is worth keeping and you can't tell that until you play it.

Oh and if your watching YouTube videos and the person you are watching says that a ship "doesn't bring anything or isn't better or different then the tech tree ship" that also doesn't mean it is bad just means it plays the same way.

WOWS players should really consider them selves lucky since the policy of "lets bring out a worse premium tank then it's tech tree counterpart" hasn't been brought over to WOWS with the premium ships.

Most fit in well without being either OP or UP.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Hood is not great. But I'd still keep her for historical reasons and because she's a fairly unique ship at tier 7. She's *very* fast and can take a hell of a beating when angled ... BUT ... she has horrible AP, mediocre HE (not british BB HE), and bad accuracy. it's the triple whammy of bad design. While Scharnhorst guns are not great either, she has 9 of them, they fire every 20 seconds, and she has great secondaries and fast reloading torpedoes to back her up. Hood has nothing going for it. And her gimmick, the rocket Defensive Fire, is actually very weak given they are extreme short range and *very* fragile to HE hits. She'd have been better off with a spotter plane or fighter to scout for DDs and torps.

That being said, when you have a good team, she's very good at flanking with cruisers and destroyers. But if you have a bad team, she is completely incapable of carrying. I'm *hoping* they will buff her eventually, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

• Cool 1

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

Hood is a decent boat, fast, has ok guns and at least she is reliant on AP, unlike the present RN BB's which are garbage due to their terrible reliance on HE, which has very little historical facts other than shore bombardment.  It's a good ship but not as versatile as a Scharnhorst.  It's a keeper in my port, and I do still play it.

Pete

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,894 posts
10,708 battles

Hood is great. Don't know what guns others are using but the ones on my Hood are really good. You may not get a ton of citadels on other BB's in T8/T9 but T7 and down it does it with ease. You still get great regular pen big damage salvos though with it. 20K damage is 20K damage with or without citadels. It just wrecks Cruisers and even DD's with it's AP. Not super accurate at extreme max range but once you hit 15km or so and under they do just fine. Thing takes a beating and keeps on going with it's super heal. Very good AA too. It is also fast. If I could have one wish to make it better it would be to drop the reload from 30 seconds to 25 like KGV. Man it would be a real beast then.

Keep it and play it to form your own opinion. Don't let others tell you it is bad just as don't let me convince you it is great. Play it and see. Different ships work for different people and it doesn't mean they are bad (usually). People rave about how good Nagato and Amagi are and for me they were garbage. I see people trash Hood and I shake my head because for me it is excellent.

Give the ship a go and see for yourself. Hood earns a lot of credits for me even in Co-op.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,635 battles

As I said in a similar topic - She's a Greyhound (the dog not the bus!). Keep her running flat out, keep her well angled, use that rudder a LOT, and stay with the AP. When top tier shoot anything you like, when bottom tier focus more on their cruisers and weaker BBs; the heavier BBs will laugh at your AP unless RNGesus blesses you. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,092 battles

My advice is don’t sell a premium unless you’re REALLY needing a port slot, and even then give it a second thought. Considering she’s a T7 she should make pretty good income. When I started I seriously considered selling my Arkansas Beta, because I held onto her and glad I didn’t. I’m guessing Hood will be a better earner than Arkansas.

p.s. Also, port slots are so easy to get right now for free I wouldn’t sell her anyway.

Edited by SavageTactical

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,253 posts
1,860 battles
3 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

My advice is don’t sell a premium unless you’re REALLY needing a port slot, and even then give it a second thought. Considering she’s a T7 she should make pretty good income. When I started I seriously considered selling my Arkansas Beta, because I held onto her and glad I didn’t. I’m guessing Hood will be a better earner than Arkansas.

p.s. Also, port slots are so easy to get right now for free I wouldn’t sell her anyway.

I have both and Hood is a vastly better credit earner than Arkansas.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Ironically, the day after I posted above, I end up getting a 100k Kraken game in the Hood. Mind you, I had just swapped out the AA range mod for the dispersion one, so who knows if that 7% tighter dispersion did anything, lol.

Hood needs a buff. Not a big one, mind you. She's not Krasny Krym level garbage. But a buff nonetheless. Personally, I'd buff her sigma to 2.0 from it's current 1.8. This would at least put her accuracy on par with Colorado and Nagato, even if her shells have nowhere close to the penetration value of those two. This would at least help in aiming for that upper belt area and superstructure which is where you really should be aiming at if you're firing on another battleship.

P.S: Don't sell this ship. Don't sell any premium really unless you're offered equivalent doubloons like they did with Belfast or Kutuzov. It's simply not worth it otherwise.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

If you use her to hunt cruisers she is great. If you use her against Battleships well that is kind what sunk the real HMS Hood.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles

Had a friend Division in a Hood while I used a CV so he could burn planes out of the sky mid map. Lol always fun to have a way to peel pesky fighters off my bombers.

Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles

She's a fine ship and she was never bad.

The most frustrating aspect, as many have pointed out, are her guns. They're not effective except at relatively close range (realistically you don't tend to have consistently good salvos until you're below 12km or so). In addition, she has a poor turn radius that when coupled with her huge length and mediocre belt (technically turtleback, but simply not thick enough) makes her very bad at brawling or any kind of very dynamic play, while also being a poor sniper. This is unconventional for a battleship in a way that many people don't like- where the "mediocre" stamp comes from. However, the strengths she does have are very strong, and if you play her to them you will do well.

It is somewhat ironic that her biggest strength is her durability. First, she has a very large health pool of 67700hp, vs. 58000hp - 65000hp on her peers. Secondly, she has very good turret angles, with your rear turrets reaching to 32o off the bow, and your bow turrets 30o off the stern, compared to a more typical 35o. Third, her belt extends part-way to the bow and stern, meaning she is less susceptible to being penned through either sector. With a 51mm main deck through the center section she damage saturates favorably. You have good overall armor protection that can be leveraged to the maximum with excellent firing arcs, supported by a huge health pool.

The simple trick to Hood is to start the fight with your ship angled away from the enemy, and then slow speed (or even reverse) to allow your enemy to close into your effective range from your stern. Manage your speed to keep a favorable engagement distance while keeping your ship angled to its maximum. It's better to accelerate away to turn around and go offensive than it is in the reverse- if you get stuck bow on in a push you will die.

While you're not invulnerable (especially to Nagato, Colorado, and higher-tier BBs), once your bow/stern and superstructure become saturated you are very tanky indeed. At her tier, she's easily the best BB for holding a weak flank, as you're ideal for kiting and very, very difficult to kill when you're using your armor properly (see image). She's not the best BB in tier in raw potential for damage and win rate, but she's really much better than many initial impressions suggested. You'll enjoy her if you don't expect her to stack up huge damage numbers quickly- big damage is going to come from your ability to stay alive and put out damage consistently for a long period of time.

shot-17.08.22_07.09.04-0567.jpg

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I find Hood is good if you can get the enemy to shoot at you. Angled, she absorbs damage better than most BBs she comes across. Problem is her guns are nearly a non-threat to other BBs, so a smart BB player will simply not shoot at her and will instead start blapping everyone else around her. This is why all the CCs are lukewarm ... she can't carry. When push comes to shove and your team needs you to deliver big hits to turn the tide of battle, Hood will just consistently disappoint due to her guns having poor accuracy (1.8 sigma instead of the 2.0 on Warspite, Colorado, and Nagato) and her shells having poor penetration.

Remember that even if she has better auto-bounce penetration angles, that only applies when you're hitting sharply angled light armor, like the 32mm bow on tier 8 BBs. But if your shells land on thicker armor, the poor krupp on these shells means those shells will shatter. Her AP has worse penetration than not only all tier 7 BBs (aside from maybe Scharn that uses 11 inch shells), but also all tier 6 BBs too. Even Bayern, known for having exceptionally poor pen, has better pen values than Hood.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles
On 12/31/2017 at 6:25 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Hood is great. Don't know what guns others are using but the ones on my Hood are really good. You may not get a ton of citadels on other BB's in T8/T9 but T7 and down it does it with ease. You still get great regular pen big damage salvos though with it. 20K damage is 20K damage with or without citadels. It just wrecks Cruisers and even DD's with it's AP. Not super accurate at extreme max range but once you hit 15km or so and under they do just fine. Thing takes a beating and keeps on going with it's super heal. Very good AA too. It is also fast. If I could have one wish to make it better it would be to drop the reload from 30 seconds to 25 like KGV. Man it would be a real beast then.

Keep it and play it to form your own opinion. Don't let others tell you it is bad just as don't let me convince you it is great. Play it and see. Different ships work for different people and it doesn't mean they are bad (usually). People rave about how good Nagato and Amagi are and for me they were garbage. I see people trash Hood and I shake my head because for me it is excellent.

Give the ship a go and see for yourself. Hood earns a lot of credits for me even in Co-op.

I tend to agree with you on this.  I have had very good success so far with my Hood and she is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. 

Sign in to follow this