You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JM1983

Looking for advice: Demolition Expert or Vigilance for Atlanta?

41 comments in this topic

[-POI-]
Members
87 posts
4,050 battles

Thank you for the info! Maybe I'll try going without that skill and put it toward getting CE or another tier four skill. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

The Atlanta is an unusually mobile shore battery.  The only useful armor it sports is granite armor, which is 100% effective in stopping metal fishes.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, JM1983 said:

Hi everyone! I have three points to spend for my Atlanta commander and am trying to decide whether to choose demolition expert or vigilance. My commander has fifteen points all together. So far I have PT, PM, IFA, HA, AR, LS and BFT for my skills. I'm leaning toward demolition expert but with the new deep water torpedoes I'm wondering if the vigilance skill might be worth a little more now for a ship which really can't afford torpedo hits. 

I'm hoping to get a little advice to help me make my decision. Any additional suggestions are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to view my post!

On Atlanta you need Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Demo, IFHE, AFT and Concealment. This is the optimal captains build, which will let you tear apart anything you come across regardless of the tier.

- IFHE - lets you pen belts of heavy cruisers and BBs (up to tier 8). You can go up 1vs1 against a Myoko, Pensacola, Belfast/Fiji, Shors and easily win, because with IFHE you just hose them down with HE.

- AFT - this is a must, since you need extra range.

- Concealment - this should be self explanatory, if they see you - you WILL die. So don't be seen.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
418 posts
6,839 battles

If you plan your Atlanta as a dd hunter/firecracker you'll need :

Both BFT and AFT (you need that extra range anyway)

Demo Expert, because fire is good.

I go by IFA over PT on mine. I don't care to know how many guns are aimed at me at any given moment, one is enough to kill so that little flashing light is my friend.

I'd go with HA over AR for the same reason. Atlanta's fire rate is fast enough. If I had points to spare I'd use both indeed

Superintendent : obvious

The most important point is having both hydro and radar up and know when to use them (you get 10k range with both).

Not sure if IFHE is useful, gun damage by itself is small, but cumulated (along with 3 fires) means any BB in the open is your toast

[SYN]
Members
15,459 posts
12,778 battles

Pro build Atlanta: BFT, AFT, IFHE, MFCAA

Any aircraft that try to spot you from behind the island will be swatted down.

If you are getting spotted by a DD, then either you did something wrong, or your DDs/CVs are slacking and letting a DD slip behind lines.

Edited by MrDeaf

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,128 posts
3,883 battles
3 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

It's one hit in 50 that will start a fire that wouldn't otherwise start one.  I don't consider that "significantly more".  Does it help?  Sure.  I don't think it's worth 3 captain points for though.

It makes a difference when you're firing several guns multiple times a minute. When you look at it terms of base fire chance on each shell it is a significant buff for most Cruisers and DDs.

The Atlanta has a 5% fire chance, but with an additional 2% you've improved your chances per shell by 40%!

Think about how little the difference is in fire chance between the Cruiser lines, but the IJN create bonfires by comparison to other nations. Even the USN and RM make the KM and USSR look rather pathetic.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,128 posts
3,883 battles

For Atlanta I recommend:

1: Priority Target

3: Adrenalin Rush

6: Superintendent 

10: Concealment Expert

13: Basic Firing Training

17: Advanced Firing Training

18: Preventative Maintenance

19: Expert Loader

Or

16: Demolitions Expert

18: Last Stand/High Alert/Expert Marksman

19: Preventative Maintenance 

[PHASE]
Members
5,275 posts
17,785 battles

I run hydro and radar, so no need for vigilance. your AA is pretty strong without defensive fire and with the number of cv games you will play vs every game with dd's... the odds are in your favor to run modules designed to counter dd's over cv's and planes.

the first 4 point skill you have to take is concealment which enables you to detect anyone that detects you by popping radar. It's not the exact same distance but close enough. The Atlanta is a fickle beast and if you take care of her she will give you tinklepants giggles. If not you will be deleted. never open water....ever. you hug islands like there were naked ladies giving free rum and back rubs on them.

suggest practicing in co- op to figure out gun angles....good luck and have fun. One of the most fun but risky ships in the game.

Edited by Sweetsie

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,524 posts
12,810 battles
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

It makes a difference when you're firing several guns multiple times a minute. When you look at it terms of base fire chance on each shell it is a significant buff for most Cruisers and DDs.

The Atlanta has a 5% fire chance, but with an additional 2% you've improved your chances per shell by 40%!

Think about how little the difference is in fire chance between the Cruiser lines, but the IJN create bonfires by comparison to other nations. Even the USN and RM make the KM and USSR look rather pathetic.

That's tricking yourself into thinking it's doing more than it really is.  Yes, it's an increase of 40%.  It's still only one hit in 50.  One hit in 50 that may or may not get put out with damage control is imo, a waste of 3 points.

[WAG]
Members
1,873 posts
11,078 battles

As a general rule.. you will get nuked in an Atlanta if the other team is any good... so take the DE and do as much damage as you can before they melt you down... 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,524 posts
12,810 battles

Yes, I rather enjoy killing them.  They are generally such easy exp.

[PHASE]
Members
5,275 posts
17,785 battles
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

One of the biggest tricks of this game is believing what the skills tell you..... like DE. a 2% increase in fire chance to make it 7%, .........remember at tier 7 their is like an automatic 40% base reduction per ship to fire chance ( I don't have the chart handy but it exists)... Now throw in modules and flags that help ships reduce fire chance and reduce fire duration and increase repair modules  and damage control party and you will see that 7% number reduced to like 3-4%. So then ...is it worth the three points? tough call.

My other gripe is manual secondary's......A minus 60% dispersion.....but from what? with out a starting dispersion number how can you gage a -60% dispersion....you can only hope "it's better"  but that's for another time and another thread.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,460 battles

I usually throw my Cleveland skipper in my Atlanta. Which has the following skills.

PT, AR, BFT, CE, AFT, IEHE.

For 14 points this is about as good as it gets. Last 5 points will be: DE or SI and EM. Or I might go JOAT to get the consumable reload down.

[-POI-]
Members
87 posts
4,050 battles

Thank you to everyone for your advice, especially to those who also suggested concealment expert. I ended up doing some grinding for a forth additional skill so that I could get concealment. It ended up being the difference between life or death for me in the very next match. I will be going with demolition expert over vigilance once I get enough points. :Smile_Default:

Beta Testers
185 posts
6,731 battles

I run CE on pretty much everything and ended up dropping it from my captain during the last free skill reset and haven't really missed it. All about finding that good spot at the start of the match and then strategically hugging those islands. That being said, the Atlanta is such a unique ship that different play styles work for each player.

PT, AR, LS, BFT, DE, AFT, IFHE

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,128 posts
3,883 battles
On 12/28/2017 at 8:14 AM, Sweetsie said:

One of the biggest tricks of this game is believing what the skills tell you..... like DE. a 2% increase in fire chance to make it 7%, .........remember at tier 7 their is like an automatic 40% base reduction per ship to fire chance ( I don't have the chart handy but it exists)... Now throw in modules and flags that help ships reduce fire chance and reduce fire duration and increase repair modules  and damage control party and you will see that 7% number reduced to like 3-4%. So then ...is it worth the three points? tough call.

My other gripe is manual secondary's......A minus 60% dispersion.....but from what? with out a starting dispersion number how can you gage a -60% dispersion....you can only hope "it's better"  but that's for another time and another thread.

Correct, there is already reductions built in place, which is why more fire chance is even more valuable.There is really not much else there worth getting outside of the 15% reduction in flooding and fire damage if you're a Battleship or an Atlanta if you already have BFT and Superintendent.