You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JM1983

Looking for advice: Demolition Expert or Vigilance for Atlanta?

41 comments in this topic

[-POI-]
Members
62 posts
2,839 battles

Hi everyone! I have three points to spend for my Atlanta commander and am trying to decide whether to choose demolition expert or vigilance. My commander has fifteen points all together. So far I have PT, PM, IFA, HA, AR, LS and BFT for my skills. I'm leaning toward demolition expert but with the new deep water torpedoes I'm wondering if the vigilance skill might be worth a little more now for a ship which really can't afford torpedo hits. 

I'm hoping to get a little advice to help me make my decision. Any additional suggestions are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to view my post!

Edited by JM1983

[TDG]
Members
1,185 posts
5,998 battles

Are you getting hit by torpedoes already?

If not, you don't need Vigilance.

Demolition Expert will offset the reduction in fire chance due to IFHE.

You might consider saving for Concealment Expert or Radio Direction Finding since the remaining 1-point skills are not that useful to Atlanta.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles
5 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Are you getting hit by torpedoes already?

If not, you don't need Vigilance.

Demolition Expert will offset the reduction in fire chance due to IFHE.

You might consider saving for Concealment Expert or Radio Direction Finding since the remaining 1-point skills are not that useful to Atlanta.

The Atlanta is extremely nimble for a cruiser so I would go with demo.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
12 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Atlanta is extremely nimble for a cruiser so I would go with demo.

LOL  You are joking, right?

As cruisers go, it's not particularly nimble.  The rudder shift is nothing special. Acceleration is particularly sluggish and top end speed is middling for a cruiser. 

Answer: Demolition Expert. 

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles
2 hours ago, JM1983 said:

Hi everyone! I have three points to spend for my Atlanta commander and am trying to decide whether to choose demolition expert or vigilance. My commander has fifteen points all together. So far I have PT, PM, IFA, HA, AR, LS and BFT for my skills. I'm leaning toward demolition expert but with the new deep water torpedoes I'm wondering if the vigilance skill might be worth a little more now for a ship which really can't afford torpedo hits. 

I'm hoping to get a little advice to help me make my decision. Any additional suggestions are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to view my post!

Buff your most casualty producing weapon system. If you are out in the middle where you feel you need vigilance your playing it wrong.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
13 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

If you are out in the middle where you feel you need vigilance your playing it wrong.

Couldn't agree more with this. The Atlanta has those lovely American DD arcs and far more firepower than them to boot, so it only makes sense to buff what the ship is good at; doing damage. :Smile_great: You shouldn't be in situations where enemy ships are even spotting you, or in positions where enemy ships can torpedo you. Vigilance could help you if you like to push and be aggressive, but in a ship like that which essentially has destroyer armor with a citadel, Demolition Expert would be more useful. :Smile_honoring:

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,711 battles

Is there any reason why you are running so many Tier 1 and 2 skills? Having a 15 point commander would easily let you have mandatory skills like CE or AFT/IFHE. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

I personally feel DE is a waste of three points.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles

VGLance er, I mean Vigilance is one of the biggest wastes of captain points. It is not recommended to take a skill that can be handled by zero cost means, in this case using situational awareness (paying attention to where DDs are, have last been spotted, and forecasting where they'd go) and the wasd keys. A player should always reserve a space in their brain for counting down roughly the torp reload cycle of a nearby DD as well as torp range and know when to turn to throw them off. 

The argument that "not everyone is skilled enough to do that" is flawed because if you get VGLance, er, Vigilance, you'll be relying on it like a crutch and it will stunt your development toward being a better player, not to mention the consequences you'll suffer when switching to a ship with a captain that doesn't have it or is in retraining. 

• Cool 1

[PAT]
Members
9 posts
5,754 battles
15 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I personally feel DE is a waste of three points.

Based on what line of reasoning? How is the ability to set significantly more fires a "waste"? Please explain this to me.

I would not bother with vigilance ever on Atlanta. Key perks are IFHE, AFT, CE, DE, AR and PT. That doesn't leave room for vigilance.

Edited by SuperSSL

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

It's one hit in 50 that will start a fire that wouldn't otherwise start one.  I don't consider that "significantly more".  Does it help?  Sure.  I don't think it's worth 3 captain points for though.

Edited by crzyhawk

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,711 battles

I don't really see a reason in running DE over BFT to be honest. If you already have BFT, then fair enough, but certainly not as a replacement.

[-POI-]
Members
62 posts
2,839 battles
32 minutes ago, SovereignEagle said:

Is there any reason why you are running so many Tier 1 and 2 skills? Having a 15 point commander would easily let you have mandatory skills like CE or AFT/IFHE. 

I've got a lot of tier one and two skills to help with survivability. I started playing about a year and two months ago and the Atlanta was my must have premium ship. Without much experience, I took everything I could get to help myself stay afloat. I'm a better player now but I've kept everything as is because the ship is such an egg shell. 

Thank you everyone for the advice you've given so far, I really appreciate it!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

The biggest help you can give your survivability, is CE.

• Cool 1

[-POI-]
Members
62 posts
2,839 battles

I've been slowly gravitating toward CE as my final skill :Smile_Default:

Maybe I'll end up redistributing everything some day in order to try another skill combination.

Edited by JM1983

[-POI-]
Members
62 posts
2,839 battles

How often have your modules been knocked out without having Preventive Maintenance? 

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
714 posts
1,782 battles
1 minute ago, JM1983 said:

How often have your modules been knocked out without having Preventive Maintenance? 

Since they buffed the turret health, I cant say Ive noticed much issue with it. But I could have been lucky. And again, the Captain also tools around in the Cleveland, so it needs it even less.

• Cool 1