You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pepperct

Radar and Hydro, How to best use them

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,018 battles

I have my first ship with a hydrocoustic and radar consumable. I’ve used the hydro a couple time against DD’s in smoke but I never used a radar and wanted to know how to best use it. Can you use it in smoke or rain storms? Does it see over islands? Should you use the hydro and radar at the same time or is this a waste? Does it spot Torps? If using it, do other ships know it’s on? I think I can switch out the hydro with defensive fire but not always will you see a cv in the game but you will always see a DD. 

Thanks for your help.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,351 battles

Radar is basically hydro with much longer ship detection range but can't spot torpedoes. Also, if you're detected by radar it shows the same symbol as hydro.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,783 posts
9,801 battles
10 minutes ago, pepperct said:

Thanks for your help

well, if you use the search function, it will give you plenty of post about your answer.

Radar can see ship from behind island

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,018 battles
40 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

well, if you use the search function, it will give you plenty of post about your answer.

Radar can see ship from behind island

Thanks but I tried that first and most posts were about using it in ranked play. What I’m looking for is tactics on how to use it and when to use it. What is the best way to help your team. 

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,296 battles
1 hour ago, pepperct said:

Can you use it in smoke or rain storms?

Yes, but given that most radars have a range between 8.5-10km, plus a short duration, using them in cyclones has a marginal effect.

Does it see over islands?

It sees under the islands. All islands in WoWs are floating magical islands held down by giant chains and an army of crabs. These crabs are what enables the radar to work (in contrast to real world radar, which must make do with zero help from crabs), and they can operate even underneath islands. So radar sees under the islands.

Should you use the hydro and radar at the same time or is this a waste?

Hydro sees torpedoes, but radar does not. Therefore, there are technically situations in which you can use both simultaneously with good effect. However, if you can see the DD then it should be pretty obvious which direction his torps are going to come from, so as long as you orient your ship correctly there isn't usually much need for the hydro.

Does it spot Torps?

No.

If using it, do other ships know it’s on?

The symbol for being spotted by radar or hydro is the same for enemy ships. Friendly ships will have no way of telling, but most sensible players will shoot at an exposed DD within 8-10km.

I think I can switch out the hydro with defensive fire but not always will you see a cv in the game but you will always see a DD. 

CVs become increasingly rare the higher the tier, while torpedoes, smoke and stealthy ships become more common. As such, hydro is usually prefered at higher tiers, and sometimes also at lower tiers.

However, it ultimately depends on the ship you are playing. For example, I like to take defensive AA on my desMoines, and then compensate for the lack of hydro by taking the vigilance captain skill. I do this with the reasoning that getting vigilance and defensive AA is a more efficient way of boosting my AA performance than taking a bunch of 3 and 4 point captain skills. Given how few CVs are seen in tier 8-10 matches, it probably doesn't help my average stats, but in the rare case that one of them is foolish enough to challenge me, I always enjoy the experience.

34 minutes ago, pepperct said:

What I’m looking for is tactics on how to use it and when to use it. What is the best way to help your team. 

Use radar against anything hiding in smoke, but particularly DDs and RN CLs. Remember that even if you can't fire on a ship, some of your teammates still might, and in any case it will give the enemy ship a big scare and may cause them to run away.

Use it in the early game to push enemy DDs out of caps and give your own DDs an advantage while not overextending yourself.

Use it in the mid game to push smokescreens together with the rest of your team. If you are a high fire rate cruiser (such as the Atlanta or DesMoines), you can also use it to solo DD hunt. In this case, getting in close before activating the radar is key, because you want to make sure that DD is dead by the time the radar ends.

In the late game, use it to find out in which direction people are sailing behind an island, and to give yourself an edge when pushing around an island. In those close quarter brawls, getting in the first volley of AP can be a huge advantage.

Overall, the biggest thing I had to learn was not to overextend myself while using radar. While it can give you a tremendous advantage while it lasts (especially if enemy ships can't see you through their own smoke screens), you must always consider where you'll end up once it runs out. Most ships carrying radar are lightly armoured cruisers which would make for easy snacking for enemy BBs if they push too far out in the early game.

Edited by senseNOTmade
Edited to add more clarity about the role of crabs.

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,018 battles

Great answer. This is exactly what I was looking for. Especially the part about the crabs, lol. I have it on my Atlanta which from what I’ve read is a great DD hunter. It took a while but now I understand the different roles each ship plays at the beginning of the round though to the end. 

I try to play a supporting role such as running AA defense in my Cleveland but now with the radar Atlanta I want to make sure I use it when others can take advantage of it too. I just had to understand it more. Thanks senseNOTmade.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,783 posts
9,801 battles
5 hours ago, pepperct said:

I just had to understand it more

radar range 8-10 km

hydro 4-5km

each had active time to use, with premium consumable obtained from Super Container, boost the time of use longer.

Fighter/Spotter plane

Tactic to use them:

When push for cap point or around the island, if you want an upper hand, or you see distant smoke (1 buff or linear of buffs of smoke - 1 buff ship stationary, many buffs -ship moving), pop your radar when you within range as radar had further detection out. Fighter/Spotter plane also help but they cant see what inside smoke, they can see what coming outside of smoke toward you if they happen to fly over the incoming direction. Once the radar used finish, pop hydro. Best to communicate wit the team of who going to pop what first and the duration time, let ally know your consumable finished so they can pop their - these are called "rotating ally consumables" to enable continuously detection or warning system when travel in group