You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nighteyez

Reporting players at battle's end

20 comments in this topic

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,609 battles

Hello fellow captains,

I am just wondering if WG does anything with the AFK reports they get at the end of the battles? Anyone know? That is the only thing I ever report as I never report bad playing, unless the person is going around team killing, I will report that, but I have not seen that except once. However, it seems I am seeing a lot of AFK players, and it is really frustrating, especially if that player is in a CV. So I usually report them. I know some things cannot be avoided, like losing your internet connection, or getting kicked out to the login screen. However, when that happens to me, I try my best to get back in the game and contribute. I am talking about people who are AFK the entire battle. Those I report. And it seems to me that it is a total waste of time, except to make me feel better.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
597 posts
9,395 battles

I generally do not report until end of match, because by that point I'll have managed to get a look at what their turrets are doing.  If they haven't loaded in, they will remain neutral.  If they have loaded in, they will move.  The only bad part is however, that if they crash/drop during a match, the turrets no longer go neutral.  They will stay wherever they were pointing.  It used to be that if you crashed/dropped in a match, your turrets would go neutral which made it clear what happened.  Wonder why they changed that...:cap_hmm:

Also note, that if they are in a divi and they crash/drop, it will auto kick them from the divi after a few moments (I think a minute?).

There are likely plenty of false reports they have to go through, as like you have mentioned, not all of them are really afk.:Smile_great:

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles

Nighteyez, I'd let it go. I've AFK 3 time on purpose. Wife burned herself at the stove, daughter called had a fender bender and dog crapped and I had my foot in at the table. AFKd probably easily another 30 times because of net, drop outs, cat jumping on table etc. I've jumped back in game and been the only ship. Like you said just get back in the game. Reporting isn't they way ok.

th?id=OIP.ZMhMDuZOEmF98s3hnmUljwEsDH&pid

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles
1 hour ago, Nighteyez said:

Hello fellow captains,

I am just wondering if WG does anything with the AFK reports they get at the end of the battles? Anyone know? That is the only thing I ever report as I never report bad playing, unless the person is going around team killing, I will report that, but I have not seen that except once. However, it seems I am seeing a lot of AFK players, and it is really frustrating, especially if that player is in a CV. So I usually report them. I know some things cannot be avoided, like losing your internet connection, or getting kicked out to the login screen. However, when that happens to me, I try my best to get back in the game and contribute. I am talking about people who are AFK the entire battle. Those I report. And it seems to me that it is a total waste of time, except to make me feel better.

Certainly data is used. I typed something a bit longer and decided to shelve it.

Anyway in re: to the bold from the quote:

The system is there as much as an indicator of misbehavior as it is an EMPOWERMENT TOOL to make players feel like they're "making a difference", able to "lash out/I'll show him!"(damned good alternative chat wars) and so on. Can't help but chuckle at that fact but hey, that's much of our irl existence anyway:Smile_teethhappy:.

I don't think it's a waste of time. HOW they use the data is something we really don't have to worry ourselves over. Multiple factors are surely considered, as you listed a few concerning AFK's. I'm sure Karma has its part as well as the extreme end of reporting: Individuals taking their own Free/Game time to submit a Ticket, Take and provide screenshots, attach replays and so on. Those carry vast amounts more weight than random AFK / Bot reports. Almost certainly the processing of all of those(afk/bot reports) is automated, very lightly flagged and only come to a Mods attention when their CPU overlord brings it to their attention that someone has been too naughty, too often.

Edited by Zyu

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

I suspect WG knows a full on (never there) AFK without a report...or can easily figure it out.

I also suspect WG has an algorithm that triggers when a player breaches a certain report threshold.  The trigger flags the account of review.  Then a WG person gets involved, checks out the veracity of the reports, and takes appropriate action.  This would include not only someone getting a bunch of bad reports, but also someone throwing out a bunch of bad reports.

Lastly, I encourage everyone to use up their allotment for good reports each day (if possible).  I probably give 20 positive karma for every 1 negative karma.  I liken the good karma to good manners...like saying thank you.

• Cool 3

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

I always report the bottom experience earner on my team for bad play.  WG doesn't do anything about it of course, but it makes me feel good, since I can't literally take the person out and bash them over the head with a large heavy thing.  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 11

[PSP]
Members
6,250 posts
8,888 battles
9 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

I always report the bottom experience earner on my team for bad play. 

339ad2e25fb3e446517c72e1afcca6d10240e018

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,609 battles

I don't report bad game play as a lot of people are still learning. Unless, as stated above, it is blatantly obvious they are doing it on purpose. I report AFK players, at the end of the battle. I have seen quite a few who have started out AFK but then "come to life" and contribute. Having played CV's I never report a CV player unless he/she is AFK. that is one thankless job, and rarely does anyone give them a compliment. I still play CV's myself, but only in co-op as the bots don't yell at you for every little thing. Anyway, that is off topic. I guess we will never know. My grandson had an incident early this morning, where at the beginning of the battle he did the customary "Good luck, and fair seas" salutation, only to have someone on his team tell him to go eff himself. He took a screenshot of the chat window, and announced he would report him. Later in the battle, that same person TK'd him. He announced again he would report him. At the end of the battle he reported him for bad play, and harassment as well as making a ticket. He was told by WG that they appreciated the screenshot, and disciplinary actions would be taken, but due to their privacy policy they could not discuss what actions those were.

Edited by Nighteyez

[INTEL]
Members
8,579 posts
25,677 battles
On 2017/12/29 at 2:27 AM, wadavid said:

I dutifully report every carrier, and yet there keep being carriers in games. Clearly reports do nothing.

My hero. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
51 minutes ago, Nighteyez said:

He was told by WG that they appreciated the screenshot, and disciplinary actions would be taken, but due to their privacy policy they could not discuss what actions those were.

This is a standard response to any report for any offence. When you report this response is auto. My reaction to this response is why waste your time? Jumping through the hoops  of a report for this response is a lesson in futility. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,837 posts
1,327 battles

Well, that response is because of the lawyers.   Personal disciplinary stuff they won't tell you anything.  That's just about any game company.  Don't want to get sued about privacy.

Members
61 posts
741 battles

Just my opinion...they collect the reports in a sort of data base, and when a player reaches a threshold number of bad reports (whatever that number may be), they then investigate.

No way in the world would they investigate every report. That would be a waste of time. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,421 posts
2,387 battles

I never report red AFK.  I mean, what did they ever do to me? 

OTOH, we had a top tier CV go AFK yesterday.  We lost; he got reported.

Generally, I don't report anyone, even the F spammers.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,082 posts
14,468 battles

They won't do anything.  There are guys that do far more worse things ingame, even to the point of openly cheating for all to see with proof in the 'net, and they are still in the game as if nothing happened.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 4:46 PM, Nighteyez said:

Hello fellow captains,

I never report AFK most likely its a computer glitch and not the players fault,I do however report bad playing like when the a DD in a ranked game sails away to his buddy DD at C already yoloing without capping AB,  leaving us BBs and Cruisers to Cap alone and then both DDs get sunk together  frigging Brilliant just frigging Brilliant, and yea we lost and they got reported which really means squat just a little Karma ..did make me feel better though

• Cool 1

[NSWO]
Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
On 1/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I never report AFK most likely its a computer glitch and not the players fault,I do however report bad playing like when the a DD in a ranked game sails away to his buddy DD at C already yoloing without capping AB,  leaving us BBs and Cruisers to Cap alone and then both DDs get sunk together  frigging Brilliant just frigging Brilliant, and yea we lost and they got reported which really means squat just a little Karma ..did make me feel better though

I DO report afk'd because they affect my winrate; and as has been discussed in this thread:- 

one report likely gets ignored, so that report does no real harm. But

One hundred reports over a week will get that account investigated ... I hope. I guess my faith in WG isn't dead yet. 

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,829 battles

Much like you OP, i wait til end of match. This way if someone has a temp emergency, or a simple crash, and are able to log in before end they dont get saddled with the report.

You have to be either a mouthy pos, or absolutely horrendous to get a bad report, and i use my positive reports up every day i play.

I like to think that WG does something with those reports, but i doubt that any person looks until they reach a threshold of some level...

Members
71 posts
49 battles

I guess they do. When the US CA line came out i bought the Dallas and was going into a game to play her but i got a strange dissconnect and I couldnt even re-connect to get into the game that was running, after I tried once more with the same results i was reported for being afk in 2 games (that i had no control over) and I was banned from Randoms and had to play 15 games in Co-Op before i was ok again.

So, yes, reports apparently work.

That said I dont think you can report a guy for being AFK (out of spite) if he actually have gain some ribbons or shell hits in that game. So I think he needs to have been afk for whole game for report to work, but that is just my theory.

Edited by Oldschool_Gaming_YT

[HRVAT]
Members
300 posts
6,124 battles

My normal during / end of match go something like this...

• Being female i get my fair share of " get off game go back to kitchen" or..." go make me a sandwich "  or " is "300 pound man in basement"..comment.  I just chat mute these little boys
  • If person is AFK,  and contribute nothing to battle, at end, I report as AFK. Sure maybe something happen like net or life problem. But i let WG decide what to do. All i know is you do nothing to help fight, so is AFK.
  • If person play extremely bad or help other team or do something so dunderhead, I blacklist, report unsporting.
  • If person say smart a** comment on what I play or strategy or just very ignorant, like last match enemy DD make comment on why I go behind island, I report Misbehavior in chat, and blacklist.
  • and of course, if person play amazing, was kind in chat, or just good teammate, i compliment.

I try make my playtime as much as enjoyable for me. So i do these report not to punish them, but to make my play more enjoyable. 

I do not log in to have poor team or be harrass. I log in to enjoy some game with navy boats as this is something i enjoy. 

Edited by LadyAnesjka
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,085 posts
4,154 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 6:46 PM, Nighteyez said:

Hello fellow captains,

I don't understand why people get so riled up about AFK. Yes, it is aggravating when a teammate ship doesn't move during the battle. But there are so many technical reasons and valid real life interruptions a person may be AFK that I see no reason other than anger to report an AFK player.

• Bad 1