You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CRGKevin

A short correspondence with Codeweavers about the Macwrapper

20 comments in this topic

Members
121 posts
1,519 battles

Hello

What I am posting here is a correspondence between myself, and a developer at Codeweavers, the third party source of the Macwrapper that allows the use of World of Warships on iMacs. It is not particularly long, however I find the answer I have gotten quite enlightening. For months, as my game experience on my iMac got steadily poorer, I would stop by the forms looking for answers and fixes. I contacted a few mods with questions, I even filed support tickets as a means of contacting the devs at Wargaming. From that, most of what I got consisted of answers along the lines of "It is out of our control since we have a third party developer." So, having gotten to the point where I couldn't play because of multiple crashes per battle, I decided to contact this third party source in search of a straight answer. Below is a copy of that conversation. 

Here is the email I sent out:

Hello

I am Kevin Norris, college student, aspiring historian, goat farmer, and
fairly casual gamer on an iMac. One of the games I run on said imac is
 the Wargaming product World of Warships, which requires a "Macwrapper"
developed by Codeweavers to run on an iMac. Recently however, it has
become increasingly unstable, and has reached the point recently where
the game has become unplayable due to the frequency of crashes and
critical errors. This problem is widespread among the iMac community who
play this game, and seems to get more severe with each successive
update. Checking game related forums has granted some explanation of the
forum, the details of which I do not fully understand, but which I
suspect may be already known to you Codeweavers. However, I will attempt
to reiterate them here regardless, the crashes and bugs appear to stem
from an inability for the game client to clear a graphics cache, (my
apologies if what I said was a load of gibberish) which results in a
crash or critical error after so much gameplay.

I write this in the hopes of getting a straight answers with regards to
a solution in the works. At present, the developers at Wargaming are
unable or unwilling to provide any information on the matter, and appear
to be ignoring the forums dedicated to imac support altogether. As such,
I feel that I have exhausted all other options beyond contacting
Codeweavers directly about the problems with Word of Warships and
associated programs, as i have been unable to play for at least two
months now.

Please be prompt with a response, and please provide some indication
that a solution is in the works

Kevin Norris

And here is the reply I got in return:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for writing in and for your eloquence. If you will allow me to transparent, there is an issue of a memory leak  which is cause of the crashing and unstableness you are experiencing. This we know is an ongoing problem as it is part of the 32bit client. We would like to resolve this issue by providing a 64bit client, but unfortunately Wargaming does not want to port to 64bit at this time. We are left with short term fixes like un-installing WoWs and doing a clean install or rebooting the machine. We do have a fix, but there is a hurdle that prevents us from implementing it.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
CodeWeavers Support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find interesting in all this is that this appears to implicate Wargaming as the party at fault for the poor service to iMac users. This might well explain the infrequent attention on the forums, as well as the extreme evasiveness of the developers when contacted directly. Take what you will from this, my conclusion is that this implicates Wargaming as the guilty party in all of this, but I have the unedited emails so that you may reach your own conclusions. I am extremely curious however if there will be any official response from Wargaming. Personally, I do not se myself getting in much time on World of Warships until more permanent fixes appear, it is simply unplayable with my current setup. 

Hopefully this shed some new light on the problem, and can give some answers to others like me who have been in the dark for so long.

Kevin Norris

• Cool 3

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Given how the quality of the experience has declined in recent months for us regular PC folks, this is hardly a surprise. Code optimization has gone out the window, it seems; either WG don't have the resources to both implement new content and make sure the game continues to run smoothly, or else don't realize and/or simply won't acknowledge that their product is becoming increasingly flawed.

When the in-game port is laggy for even the most bleeding-edge gaming rigs, you know there is a problem.

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

They are not going to do a 64 bit port for Mac when they don't have a 64 bit PC client with an old engine.  64 bit will likely have to wait for a new engine and 64 bit PC client.

When the in-game port is laggy for even the most bleeding-edge gaming rigs, you know there is a problem.

Only time I have ever had the issue is when I have not rebooted in weeks and FF is taking up huge amount of ram (7+ gigs out of 16 gigs).  Even with a nVidia GTX670.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I don't use mac, but I'm glad you posted this.

2 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Only time I have ever had the issue is when I have not rebooted in weeks and FF is taking up huge amount of ram (7+ gigs out of 16 gigs).  Even with a nVidia GTX670.

I run a GTX 1080 ti FTW2 with 16gb ram. Port is always laggy.

It's the same way when running a GTX 1070 ti FTW2, and a GTX 1060 6gb SC.

Everything running on a monitor 19xx X xxxx.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
140 posts
13,006 battles

It's about the same for me as the OP; the game is nearly unplayable due to excessive crashes. They occur roughly every second or third match. Usually I will play two matches, then exit the application and re-start. But if I forget to do that, then it'll crash within the next match or two.

[SYN]
Members
346 posts
6,179 battles

I stopped playing on my Mac.  I imagine that’s been the case for a lot of people.  WG is hurting themselves by providing a buggy product.

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,042 battles

Probably a silly question, but you are keeping your OS up to date, right?

I don't know if that will help or hurt anything but it could be something to keep in mind. 

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,223 battles
Just now, Viper101 said:

Probably a silly question, but you are keeping your OS up to date, right?

I don't know if that will help or hurt anything but it could be something to keep in mind. 

Oddly enough I am still running El Capitan, my machine is too old for Sierra and I have had no issues at all. I had one crash the other day but 99% of the time I have had no problems at all running the game. I probably have one issue in 500 games or thereabouts. 

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,042 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Oddly enough I am still running El Capitan, my machine is too old for Sierra and I have had no issues at all. I had one crash the other day but 99% of the time I have had no problems at all running the game. I probably have one issue in 500 games or thereabouts. 

Nothing odd about that, I actually thought El Capitan was pretty good. 

But perhaps it's something to do with OS and the Launcher not getting along... I don't know how optimization works (I failed intro to Comp Sci), but the fact that its a 32 bit wrapper must be pretty infuriating for the OS (thats a thing right?)

What I have thought about doing is buying a copy of windows 7, creating a partition of my HDD that will boot into windows so I can play the game on windows, and not through the Mac wrapper. I haven't been able to yet because I don't have windows 7 (ebay here I come), but I will post results when I get them. 

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,223 battles
5 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

What I have thought about doing is buying a copy of windows 7, creating a partition of my HDD that will boot into windows so I can play the game on windows, and not through the Mac wrapper. I haven't been able to yet because I don't have windows 7 (ebay here I come), but I will post results when I get them. 

I actually have Window 10 (I think, the new one) installed with Bootcamp. The game worked ok, my problem is I just hate Windows and how it looks. If it still had the Win 2000 look, I could manage but it really is a terrible looking program now plus lots of crap just running all the time. Drives my sniffer program nuts. I still run Win2000 on a laptop that I only run old games on and always amazed at how well it worked and how nice it all looked. 

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,042 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I actually have Window 10 (I think, the new one) installed with Bootcamp. The game worked ok, my problem is I just hate Windows and how it looks. If it still had the Win 2000 look, I could manage but it really is a terrible looking program now plus lots of crap just running all the time. Drives my sniffer program nuts. I still run Win2000 on a laptop that I only run old games on and always amazed at how well it worked and how nice it all looked. 

I think there was a setting in Windows 8 or 7 where you could turn the theme into the classic Win2000 look.

Took me by surprise when I first saw it...

But I'm hoping that partitioning like 100GBs will help the machine. Haven't been able to as of yet.

I do agree with you about windows vs OSx however. OSx Is so much cleaner...

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

WIn 7 does have the classic theme.

Win 10 doesn't, but it seems like I remember there's a work around.

If it were me, I'd just run Windows solely for playing WOWS.

When you're done, load up the other OS.

• Cool 2

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,042 battles
19 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Thats what I am gonna try to do, and I think OP had mentioned they'd tried that as well.

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles
2 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

I stopped playing on my Mac.  I imagine that’s been the case for a lot of people.  WG is hurting themselves by providing a buggy product.

Realistically - so few play on Macs that... it does not take much of a dent.  This is why the 3rd party companies do the porting to both Linux and Mac, not to mention a different set of programming skills.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
343 posts
8,949 battles

Kinda curious how recompiling for 64 bit *fixes* a memory leak.  Possibly diminishes the issue in that one could run with more memory and a leak is less noticeable, but I wouldn't call that a fix, more of a workaround, and that's assuming you've got the hardware to compliment.

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,223 battles
2 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

WIn 7 does have the classic theme.

Win 10 doesn't, but it seems like I remember there's a work around.

Yeah when I installed 10, looked online to see if I could make it look like something I was familiar with, there isn't unless you install third party software that changes it for you. It is free but not sure why Microsoft would not have that as an option.
I figure there will come a time that I won't be able to keep playing WoWS on my Mac so am thinking the unthinkable, getting a Windows machine... I have an old Dell that I use to play the old games I love but a new computer is probably in the cards for me just so I can play WoWS. The upside to that is I could finally play Fallout 4 as well!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,179 posts
11,693 battles

Why should Wargaming port to a 64-bit client?  IIRC they don't support mac at all anymore.

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
19 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Why should Wargaming port to a 64-bit client?  IIRC they don't support mac at all anymore.

Aren't 64-bit systems becoming the norm these days? I've been out of the loop for a while, but AFAIK, they have numerous advantages over 32-bit systems that can be quite beneficial for high-demand tasks like running video games. Plus, 64-bit chips mean you can run more (and better) RAM.

On the other hand, we all know the WoT/WoWS engine (BigWorld) is reaching the end of its useful lifespan. It's just a matter of whether or not it is worth it to Wargaming to invest in the costs necessary to roll out something new, especially if it means having to remake a lot of stuff such as vehicle models, skins, and maps. We know that they are working on a complete graphical revamping of a number of WoT maps, and if they are using the same engine for them, then my guess is that we won't see a replacement engine any time soon.

If we do, my money is on third-party sourcing. If they had the resources to produce a new engine themselves, we wouldn't be having this conversation—we would already be hearing about it.

Members
711 posts

given that the PC 32bit client has no or very little of a memory leak and can stay operational 18 hours or more without problem, I would say the issue lays with the IMac or the Macwrapper, and well Codeweavers are going to point the finger any anyone or anything else but themselves.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,864 posts
1,332 battles
8 hours ago, CylonRed said:

They are not going to do a 64 bit port for Mac when they don't have a 64 bit PC client with an old engine.  64 bit will likely have to wait for a new engine and 64 bit PC client.

Yeah, I'm not having issues with the Windows client.  I'm running on a 2011 desktop, under Windows 10, no issues at all.