Sign in to follow this  
Aristotle83

How good is Duke of York at Tier VII?

15 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Over the holidays bought the Duke of York. Hadn't bought a premium in several months and also don't have a Tier VII so I got the Duke when it went on sale, thinking if it sunk the Scharnhrst IRL it should be able to sink Scharnhorsts them in WOWS too. KGV was the Tier VII I had been looking forward to acquiring anyway and I didn't want to have to get a QE, seeing both the negative feedback I've read regarding the slow turrets and the fact I have the Warspite already and didn't want to waste XP on a slightly inferior clone. Anyway, I love the Duke of York, have had really good success in it but when I was reading some threads about it, to say the reviews were less than stellar would be kind. That being said, I don't have another Tier VII so I don't know how it stacks up to it's peers from a first person perspective. Wanted to get some opinions on Duke of York and how it compares to the other Tier VII ships and why? 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,246 posts
3,106 battles

Get a Scharnhorst. Cry at how much better than the DoY it is. 

Or, better yet, get a KGV and understand how much better the tech tree version is than the premium. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
15 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Over the holidays bought the Duke of York. Hadn't bought a premium in several months and also don't have a Tier VII so I got the Duke when it went on sale, thinking if it sunk the Scharnhrst IRL it should be able to sink Scharnhorsts them in WOWS too. KGV was the Tier VII I had been looking forward to acquiring anyway and I didn't want to have to get a QE, seeing both the negative feedback I've read regarding the slow turrets and the fact I have the Warspite already and didn't want to waste XP on a slightly inferior clone. Anyway, I love the Duke of York, have had really good success in it but when I was reading some threads about it, to say the reviews were less than stellar would be kind. That being said, I don't have another Tier VII so I don't know how it stacks up to it's peers from a first person perspective. Wanted to get some opinions on Duke of York and how it compares to the other Tier VII ships and why? 

Just read this, it will tell you everything you need to know about the BBabies POS that was given to us.

Or as a high level summary;

21bky2.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
11 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Just read this, it will tell you everything you need to know about the BBabies POS that was given to us.

21bky2.jpg

That was actually what I was referring to. I very strongly disagree. Not with the stats or anything but the opinions about them, particularly the overall impressions. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,397 battles
15 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

21bky2.jpg

I always trust LWM. Putting wallet back in pocket on this one.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles
21 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

That was actually what I was referring to. I very strongly disagree. Not with the stats or anything but the opinions about them, particularly the overall impressions. 

In TLDR terms:  KGV is simply better than DOY.  The only thing DOY really has over KGV is Hydro.  Because in staying power, KGV is better.  In firepower, KGV is better.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

When you finally complete the collection and get the camo...    Oh..  That is COOOOOOOLLLLLLD !!

Dec_28_17_DoY_Frosty_F.jpg

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

I'm liking the Duke of York. LWM is right, the AP is very good.

The guns are accurate, and the hydro is very useful.

She seems to excel late in a game when you are pushing to Cap, or close out the Reds. I don't have a KGV to compare her to, so I don't see the "gimped" ship everyone is lamenting.

These are the two games I played today. About 80% of the damage was from AP.

D_D_D_DoY.jpg

She doesn't suck... and I'm no Unicum.

Edited by Skarp_AGW

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,459 battles

The one time you might appreciate DoY over Scharnhorst or KGV, is when you are in a CV infested match.

Enterprise AP bombs, Kaga torps of death, yeah...

DoY can take DFAA to shrug those off, but the other two will struggle severely.

KGV has better reload speed, which is more valuable fo 80% of the other time when you don't have to deal with broken CVs.

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
4 hours ago, Skarp_AGW said:

I'm liking the Duke of York. LWM is right, the AP is very good.

The guns are accurate, and the hydro is very useful.

She seems to excel late in a game when you are pushing to Cap, or close out the Reds. I don't have a KGV to compare her to, so I don't see the "gimped" ship everyone is lamenting.

These are the two games I played today. About 80% of the damage was from AP.

D_D_D_DoY.jpg

She doesn't suck... and I'm no Unicum.

Exactly the same,  I feel maybe if I had a KGV I'd get the other people's perspective here but I don't have one, and I just think this is the most fun I've ever had with a new ship even in matches with unlucky MM. Hydro is very helpful and the AA is great but the mechanics of the ship just feel fun, love being able to shoot most if not all of my main battery without going broadside although I imagine this is something KGV fans already had. I get KGV fans caring more about losing ROF than getting better AA and hydro, my issue is people thinking it's a bad ship. It's very good at T7. I'm feeling most of the critics except the person who wrote that article haven't played the ship. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

I have the KGV on this account, and bought the DoY for my other starving account.  Got a head start and completed the collection.

Working on the last two Christmas ship/camo stages.  Need to make 3M credits twice, with no High tier ships or Wyvern flags. (Have 2 T7 and 1 T8)

Tomorrow, I need to put that AP on the DoY to work when the next campaign item hits.

Compare?  I like them both.  I've killed the Scharnhorst many times with the Duke of York.  Got to keep at it, and keep your distance.

Starving account is filling out nicely.  New Mexico, La Glasscannon, Gaude, Queeen Elizabeth -- all major jumps in the grind.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,611 battles

I ground through, fully, the KGV. Im half way or so thru the Monarch; slower for me as Im not an HE spamming n00b; I prefer more honorable wins.

Funny thing about that too - In my experience, DOY does not spawn fires anywhere near like KGV does.   She does burn just as fast but she cant lite as fast.

But anyway,  I bought, without looking, the DOY, as I wanted to do its special missions. Of course, only got half way through them and found the missions near-unplayable on grounds they want way too much DD [edited] to get through em - i thought the point of buying a BB was to DRIVE the BB?

Anyway. As far as DOY itself, i need to quote and reference a very dumb meme that's been posted previously -

On 12/27/2017 at 1:52 PM, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

21bky2.jpg

Yea, that's pure chicken guano right there. As usual, CODDip$h!ts ruin everything almost as fast as sky cancer does.   If BB drivers had their way, every battleship from tier 6 up would get their radar sets they had IRL and CODDip$h!tters would be put in their appropriate place - on the bottom.   CODDippers are just bent outta shape another ship got Hydro, a 'somewhat' effective tool against their crap play.

But enough of the name calling.

Sad reality is, Mouse had it mostly right - DOY is nothing but a *Very* heavily nerfed KGV, and yet another embarrassing release by WG.  The claim that hydro is some grand equalizer is crap - if it was radar, then yes i would agree; but hydro's range, duration, and unit count is far too short to be effective over the course of most battles.   Yes, her AA is a bit better than her sister - but given both are horridly lackluster at their own tier never mind when they find themselves bottom tier, you're still utterly screwed if you dont have a Neptune or similar in tow.

I hate to say it, as I generally love BBs, and I particularly greatly enjoyed my KGV grind so much that I kept her when I bought the Monarch, but I have serious buyers remorse with this ship. Im gonna keep her till i finish the missions with her, then she'll very likely find herself sailing to the scrap yard; one of the VERY few Ive sold. In fact the only premies ive sold are generally low tier crap Ive 'earned' thru missions.   If WG wised up and swapped out the hydro for radar, then damn right id keep her; her mains do utterly rek cancer spammers and underage boats.

Edited by YukonHunter

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

Here are the thing you have to consider when discussing the DoY and its subsequent reviews.

1. It originally came out in a very radical form more cruiser than BB and had alot things going for it to make up for its lack of heal. This means that the people who have reviewed the DoY played the ship with from what I understand was better accuracy, lower Rate of Fire, etc.  These characteristics are going to make an impression no matter what you do.
  2. The 2nd form of DoY was a more traditional BB that got a heal at the expense of all those niffy benefits it got back when it didn't have a heal.  Of course this means that the ship is going to feel nerfed because it was nerfed and fairly substantially because it gets the heal to compensate.  However the general feel of the ship, things like gun handling radically change for the worse which psychologically and subconsciously  is going to give a tester/reviewer a negative impression.
  3. The KGV in the tech tree is better than the DoY by a fair margin.  Honestly it would probably be ok if the DoY didn't get stuck with a 30 second reload vs a 25 second reload on the KVG but no matter how you slice it, the DoY is objectively worse than the KGV.  If you have played the KGV and the go and play the DoY that difference is going pop right out at you and your going to have a negative impression of the DoY by comparison alone.

The point I am trying to make is that none of the 3 points above really objectively make the DoY a bad ship, rather not many people are going to be able to objectively review the DoY as its own ship because they are inevitably going to compare it to the KGV and/or their previous experiences with the ship prior to it getting the heal.  This is why people who weren't testers and don't own the KGV are saying that they like the ship and that they are doing well with it.  That being the case, taken on its own, it is actually probably pretty decent and competitive at Tier 7 and if the KGV didn't exist, the reviews probably would be much more positive. 

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

Well I realized tonight I wasn't going to be able to complete the tasks for the Free DoY so decided to go ahead and purchase her so I could start knocking out the New Year's Raid Missions.  In any case I can tell you without a doubt there is nothing wrong with this ship except for it getting put on teams that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag but that is not the ships fault.   Comparing it to my Scharnhorst my damage per match numbers are almost exactly the same with the Duke of York averaging 62,900 damage and the Scharnhorst averaging 61,722.  From the kills per death ratio, there is no comparison so far anyway.  Through my first 10 matches I I have a 3.3 K/D rate verse my Scharnhorsts 1.6 K/D rate.  This is because of the massive heals the DoY gets makes it very hard to kill off.  75% survival rate so far despite continual craptastic teams that have led me to an abysmal 30% win rate so far. 

Overall the DoY is a very good Tier 7 Premium ship and there is little I can find to complain about.  This of course is taken from the perspective of someone who has never tested the ship before it was released with the changes nor owns the KGV or has played the KGV.  I am absolutely sure once I finally get to the KGV, get the chance to play the ship with a 25 second reload, an extra heal and the spotter plane, I am going to find plenty wrong with the DoY but taken in and of itself without anything to compare it to, the DoY is anything but the garbage ship people have described it as.

Sign in to follow this