You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Just got a New Mexico, opinions?

14 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Okay this is my first Christmas as a regular WOWS player so I don't know how the gift system works only that yesterday I got a free New Mexico. I am a German and UK BB player almost exclusively. Considering using the New Mexico in the future to skip the line to get the most desirable US BB's but I also want to know the US BB community's opinions on New Mexico and whether or not I should make her a long term member of my fleet? My main issue with starting the US BB line and opting to go with the UK and Germans was how slow the pre North Carolina US BB's are, how much of an obstacle is this in the first person?

The other question I have

1)can someone break down to me how Christmas gifts work?

I know the topic title is a bit misleading, don't think I could have 100% accurately put what I wanted to ask in the title. 

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

I'm guessing you bought Duke of York, and have completed Stage 1 of the "New Year Raid" campaign.  The reward for that is a free New Mexico.

New Mexico is the first battleship in the US line that I found to be truly good.  Slow as molasses, but tough as hell and deadly...if you can get enough of your shotgun pattern to connect.  I liked her so well that I kept her even after I got Colorado.  The only reason I don't still have her is because I got Arizona from a 2016 Santa crate/present, and I didn't need two Tier 6 US battleships.

As far as the Christmas presents question, you can buy them either in the on-line premium shop, or by clicking the big "Santa's Shop" tab in the Containers screen.  Purchase the presents and they will appear as containers ready to be opened.  You can also gift them, so if you have generous friends who plays WoWS you may find containers waiting for you that are actually Santa's presents.

Edited by desmo_2

[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles

Speed really doesn't really matter once you know where to commit yourself and keep your guns firing in a battleship, being fast only matters when you're trying to run away. The best part about the USN tier 3-7 dreadnoughts isn't their speed, but their ability to brawl by being able to turn fast and angle. 

Christmas gifts are broken into tiers, they're lootboxes that drop some good rewards like exp flags and camos, with the off chance of getting a premium ship. The more expensive the crate the higher chance for a premium ship. Even the "Crap" rewards are still pretty good.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

Also, you won't get tech tree ships from the Santa's Presents, which is why I assume you have completed Stage 1 of "New Year Raid".

[WOLF5]
Members
1,539 posts
2,148 battles

I'm not up on the mechanics of this years gift drops. Last year a Warspite appeared in my port, no one's taken it away yet.

The NM is the best Dreadnought in the USN line. Yeah it's slow, like the 3 before it and the one after it. But those 14inchers hit hard. The accuracy is terrible, but with 12 something usually connects. Decently armored, good AA, great turning circle and rudder shift. It's a very solid ship. I like it, and kept mine, with a dedicated captain. I now have the Arizona, so I play that more, probably will sell the NM. But it's a good solid ship. The CO after it is also now a solid ship. Slow, but if you're not used to that by now, you have problems. Guns are awesome, the change from 14 to 16 is very noticeable. And it has decent armor, good AA and good steering like the NM. The HP pool is now on par with T7, and the great heal makes the CO a very definite threat. The NC, Iowa, and Montana are faster, and excellent ships. Definitely worth going up the line IMO.

[TOY]
Members
27 posts
2,916 battles

i like the New Mex and Colorado, they both have there issues but once you get use to them they are fun ships to play. it took me forever to get accurate with the Colorados guns, those high arc shells just kinda hang in the air forever..but when you figure out that yeah they are slow, but those shells fall out of the sky like comets and hit hard it becomes a fun ship to play

[B-K-N]
Members
21 posts
4,384 battles
Keep her, as long as you have the slots. New Mexico is at least a good for the daily operations/scenarios with the daily win bonus if you ever run them.  It's for that reason I kept her.  She's got decent DPS, fairly good AA which made her a good boat for doing that, with her often outperforming other BBs. It's not a Cleveland in Aegis but still as far as BBs go, it's good.  

As a result of those once a day scenario runs mine now has a good captain and so when I do take her out in a random battle she tends to do very well now and earns wins and thus credits well for her level.  Like AJTP89 above I found her the best of the US standard dreadnoughts and I have the best win rate in her by far.  Dropped all the others on my way into the NC. 

BTW, I am increasingly wishing I'd kept my Colorado also given that she hits almost as hard as NC's guns, but I needed the credits to fund my IJN cruisers. ;-)  I consider the CO a low profile boat as I find that other players often ignore her to focus on killing other more prominent ships that are often in her up tiered matches (i.e the famous German BBs) and regard Colorado as a plodding 21kt afterthought until she skewers them with 16" AP.  ;-)

Edited by seaherder

[NASTY]
Members
106 posts
5,405 battles

Once I got to NM I was getting tired of how slow the US BBs are.  

Colarado grind was horrible.  Better ship than NM.  Better, much more accurate guns but suffer from stronger faster opponents. 

Finally got to NC and hallelujah finally great fun US BB

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

NM is alright, the dispersion is maddening at times on her.  What has really hurt NM and other Tier VI BBs is the MM change and the power creep of later tiered ships that she frequently faces.

Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Alabama, Enterprise, Kaga, KGV, Nelson.

As time progresses, Tier V-VI has become more unpleasant to play.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,011 posts
9,077 battles

One of my favorite BBs when I got started. Haven’t played her in a while so I can’t comment accurately on how she stacks up against the competition now, but she was great back in the day. Poor accuracy, but having twelve guns makes up for her accuracy issues. Was in my Texas last night against one and he shot right through my angled armor. US AP is really good. Assuming you got her in the new campain, I’d definitely keep her since she comes with a special camouflage.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

I'm going to be honest, I've played the New Mexico in missions, not even random and not only is the ships speed just unbearably slow for that tier, but combined with the reload time the ship it just makes the ship seem very hard to use for me. Keep in mind I've been coming from mainly German and British BB's(and slight cruiser play) and I don't think I've ever used a ship in WOWS with more than a 30 second ROF. This is slower than even the Warspite which was previously the most difficult to maneuver battleship I've ever played, but Warspite got 4.2 seconds faster ROF, turrets that go 180 degrees 6 seconds faster and a top speed that's like 4-5 knots faster.

I'm not going to get rid of the New Mexico, it was a free ship and I've got a few open slots, might even keep trying to adjust but I don't think I'll be pursuing the US BB line. Seeing how T9-T10 seems to be the goal, I might just get a premium Massachusetts. 

[BBP]
Members
27 posts
3,291 battles

I like the firepower and armor, but the speed kills me. I always seem to find myself out of position with no escape in the thing. Mind you I'm a new player and not very skilled yet. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles
8 hours ago, Paulberios said:

I like the firepower and armor, but the speed kills me. I always seem to find myself out of position with no escape in the thing. Mind you I'm a new player and not very skilled yet. 

Being in a collapsing flank with a 21kt USN BB is one of the worst feelings in this game.

But hope awaits at Tier VIII with North Carolina and 27kts.  Iowa at Tier IX goes a godd@mn 33kts.  Montana at X back to 27.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,251 posts
9,020 battles

yah I've shied away from the US BB line for the speed reason...much prefer the fleetness of the KM BBs...but having test driven an NC on the PTS and having faced MANY NMs in a DD I can say they are worthy adversaries, especially (of course) when handled right. ...the NC shoots through schools and is worth the grind of the previous two, I'd say. ...I've sunk my share of NMs but then I've been sunk by plenty.....actually my whole point in taking on the north cape missions lately is to get a free one--that'll be a doddle soon enough....