Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kapitan_Wuff

Question on Smoke firing detection.

16 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,885 posts
11,605 battles

I believe I was spotted by a plane while I was in smoke. My understanding was that the detection bloom from smoke firing only applied to surface ships. Can a plane spot me in smoke?

I was in the Kidd, sitting in smoke 5.5k away from the nearest enemy boat (there were only 3 ships left and they were all accounted for). I was firing my guns and become detected. It was not radar/hydro icon. Only thing is there was a multiple squadrons in the air, within 2.9k.

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,139 battles
5 minutes ago, chewonit said:

I don't think AA affects detection in smoke.

If it doesn't, I believe it should.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,885 posts
11,605 battles
8 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Were your AA guns on?

They were on, but AA guns never gave you away in smoke before.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,192 battles
2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Well then I have no idea, got a replay or screenshot?

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
14 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Neither did shooting your main guns.

• Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
562 posts
6,277 battles
53 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I believe I was spotted by a plane while I was in smoke. My understanding was that the detection bloom from smoke firing only applied to surface ships. Can a plane spot me in smoke?

I was in the Kidd, sitting in smoke 5.5k away from the nearest enemy boat (there were only 3 ships left and they were all accounted for). I was firing my guns and become detected. It was not radar/hydro icon. Only thing is there was a multiple squadrons in the air, within 2.9k.

The new mechanics won't have effect on islands, aircraft, secondary armament, and AA capabilities – only the main battery and detectability from sea.

That is what the patch says.

• Cool 2

Members
244 posts

Smoke continues to be randomly buggy, especially so since the (lame) firing in smoke nerf.  I’ve been detected while INSIDE smoke by DDs with identical detection who spot and shoot at me OUTSIDE smoke early enough to allow said DDs to get 1-2 full volleys on my DD before I spot the DD outside smoke shooting at me.  I just accept WOW can’t always get the smoke mechanic right and move on.

[TBW]
Members
6,420 posts
12,065 battles
58 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

If I am correct the CV can see your AA coming out of the smoke and can target you with torps based on where the flack is coming from, but you will still not be spotted. Tier 5 and under of course can't launch their torps with out a target which I think is a flaw in the no manual drop for low tier CV's. They should still be able to drop into smoke but it's probably a hard task to code.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

As sad before, AA guns do not increase your firing bloom in smoke, nor can aircraft detect you from smoke.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
1 hour ago, nhf said:

Smoke continues to be randomly buggy, especially so since the (lame) firing in smoke nerf.  I’ve been detected while INSIDE smoke by DDs with identical detection who spot and shoot at me OUTSIDE smoke early enough to allow said DDs to get 1-2 full volleys on my DD before I spot the DD outside smoke shooting at me.  I just accept WOW can’t always get the smoke mechanic right and move on.

That can happen if you were shooting and they weren’t. I do it all the time in my Kidd. You shooting lets them see you first, and there is a slight lag on detection, so they can usually get two volleys out by the time you see them. 

Sign in to follow this