Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

About this BB thing?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

978
Members
4,577 posts
6,534 battles

Been a cruiser kinda guy but my daughter got me a bunch of doubloons for Xmas and I went crazy buying new premium ships. Bought 4 yesterday and 2 are BBs....Cesare and Scharnhorst. Gonna try this BB thing. I got Scharnhorst because the fine folks here recommended her and I like her high rate of fire since I come from cruisers.  Historical ship also.  Need advice.  I always struggle with when to use HE or AP. Do you BB guys use HE much on red BBs or do you stick with AP the whole time when fighting another BB?  Situational? Don't know if I got what it takes to command a capital ship but I am all in now!  Advice pls.  Tkanks very much. 

O by the way do you all think Cesare was a good choice?  Just got her.  Have yet to play her in random. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Majority of the time, you want to use AP.

You could switch to HE if another BB is bow on to you, but at that you point you should be looking at something else that's broadside to you.

Head to YouTube and search for tips on those ships. Good Tubers are Notser, Flamu, iChasegaming, and nozoup.

Pay attention to the dates they are posted, there might've been a change in a newer patch. 

Either way, they'll give you some ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

Depends on the ship and it's guns really.  Some of the bigger calibers don't care and just punch whatever they come into contact with. Some of the others, Scharnhorst smaller caliber for instance, can have issues with angled targets.

For the Scharnhorst AP is still a good option to load and keep loaded.  Broadside cruisers and cruiser under your tier will be hurt by it.  But once you run into similar or possibly uptiered angled cruisers you'll see some effectivness of them drop and would be better to aim for upper belt lines and super structure.  For me I run AP first and foremost.  If I run into an enemy BB who is angled and knows what they're doing, then I'll switch to the HE shells for awhile, set some fires.  For some once you start doing that they begin to open up the angle more, get the back turrets in play thinking you'll HE spam and now they can go broadside with little risk not realizing that your next loading slavo is AP and with the Scharnhorst rapid reload you can really punsih others when they're not expecting it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,577 posts
6,534 battles
19 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

Depends on the ship and it's guns really.  Some of the bigger calibers don't care and just punch whatever they come into contact with. Some of the others, Scharnhorst smaller caliber for instance, can have issues with angled targets.

For the Scharnhorst AP is still a good option to load and keep loaded.  Broadside cruisers and cruiser under your tier will be hurt by it.  But once you run into similar or possibly uptiered angled cruisers you'll see some effectivness of them drop and would be better to aim for upper belt lines and super structure.  For me I run AP first and foremost.  If I run into an enemy BB who is angled and knows what they're doing, then I'll switch to the HE shells for awhile, set some fires.  For some once you start doing that they begin to open up the angle more, get the back turrets in play thinking you'll HE spam and now they can go broadside with little risk not realizing that your next loading slavo is AP and with the Scharnhorst rapid reload you can really punsih others when they're not expecting it.  

 

Excellent advice!  Very good and tks.  Just got this ship last night and have only tried her out in co-op but dang I have done great in the 5 games I have played. I like her.  Never had a ship with this kinda range.  Hell I could pulverize the town nearest mine which is almost 20 miles away in Scharnhorst. Hah.  Going to the real deal today....PvsP.  Got some upgrading on her now. Even though most all my experience is in cruisers this seems to be such a good ship that maybe even I can perform in her and avoid crew mutiny and being hung from the yard arm.:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,737
[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

O by the way do you all think Cesare was a good choice?

Cesare is a great ship I spent doubloons on the EU server to get her there too. I don't click much with Sharney.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,577 posts
6,534 battles
27 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Cesare is a great ship I spent doubloons on the EU server to get her there too. I don't click much with Sharney.

She is getting great reviews from players.  I just got her. Going to try her out later tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

AP if you're not using a British BB, HP if you are. AP is always stronger but UK's HP shells chance of starting a fire is so high I think the HP makes more sense unless you got that repeat fire already going and there's no more ships in the area to set ablaze. 

Heard great things about the ships you've purchased. Scharnhorst is a very good ship for someone transitioning from a cruiser to a BB. Remember some of the "BB's", actually are actually battlecruisers(Kongo, Hood, Amagi are the ones I can think of) so you''ve got options for big, powerful BB's that play like cruisers. I'm going to guess most people like cruisers cause the speed is really fun and the battlecruisers and a lot of the post WWI BB's, play like larger more powerful cruisers.  

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,577 posts
6,534 battles
22 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

AP if you're not using a British BB, HP if you are. AP is always stronger but UK's HP shells chance of starting a fire is so high I think the HP makes more sense unless you got that repeat fire already going and there's no more ships in the area to set ablaze. 

Heard great things about the ships you've purchased. Scharnhorst is a very good ship for someone transitioning from a cruiser to a BB. Remember some of the "BB's", actually are actually battlecruisers(Kongo, Hood, Amagi are the ones I can think of) so you''ve got options for big, powerful BB's that play like cruisers. I'm going to guess most people like cruisers cause the speed is really fun and the battlecruisers and a lot of the post WWI BB's, play like larger more powerful cruisers.  

I like the Scharnhorst because I am so used to cruisers and their ROF.  She has very fast ROF for a Battle cruiser and decent speed. I can't stand the sloooooow ROF in most BBs. Can't stand that.  This one is great for me however. Nice ship. FUN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
4 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I like the Scharnhorst because I am so used to cruisers and their ROF.  She has very fast ROF for a Battle cruiser and decent speed. I can't stand the sloooooow ROF in most BBs. Can't stand that.  This one is great for me however. Nice ship. FUN!

If ROF is really important to you, it seems like the German BB line is for you in general. Only vanilla BB I can find that beats German ROF looking at wiki is the Japanese Fuso at Tier 6. Imagine some of the premiums do as well, I know Dunkerque at 6 does also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137
[SPTR]
Members
1,771 posts
848 battles

Fuso usually does do better than Bayern if allowed to dictate range. If at close range I will usually brawl with a Fuso and do alright.

Edited by _Maho_Nishizumi_212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,551 posts
8,274 battles

Hey

Bayern is a very solid ship at T6, she has good guns (for the most part), and has very good AA when you have BFT and AFT and there are few better brawlers in a close knife fight, since she has outstanding armour, ok speed for her tier.  At T5, the new Giulio Cesare is quite fun but to be honest I still prefer my slower Konig, and in 3rd place is perhaps Iron Duke although she can't turn for nothing and those stupidly slow rotating turrets suck.  At T7; again Germans all the way with Scharnhorst or Gneisenau, they have great armour, decent AA when buffed with BFT/AFT, great speed and even torps.  T8 has Bismarck and Tirpitz which are both great ships in their own right but starting to get a little light in the gun department.  For T9 the FDG; which I absolutely hated and sold, putting the money towards a T10 Hindenburg cruiser and have had no regrets.  I hope that helps

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 1:23 PM, dmckay said:

Excellent advice!  Very good and tks.  Just got this ship last night and have only tried her out in co-op but dang I have done great in the 5 games I have played. I like her.  Never had a ship with this kinda range.  Hell I could pulverize the town nearest mine which is almost 20 miles away in Scharnhorst. Hah.  Going to the real deal today....PvsP.  Got some upgrading on her now. Even though most all my experience is in cruisers this seems to be such a good ship that maybe even I can perform in her and avoid crew mutiny and being hung from the yard arm.:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

I always viewed my Scharnhorst as an oversized Cruiser that can really bully other cruisers.  I'm a cruiser main myself and I just feel really comfortable doing things in that ship, that I'd do in cruisers, but it would be suicide to do in a Battleship.  

 

Think I have one or two examples in my youtube somewhere lol

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[BSL]
Members
744 posts
14,570 battles

With Scharn, AP only for me.  Kill DDs all the time with it.

 

You will love Cesare.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425
Members
2,433 posts
7,746 battles

I fire AP most of the times. German HE is mediocre and Scharnhorst is no different to that. While the AP is really good. 

 

The problem is that Scharnhorst strugle against players (BBs and some cruisers) that know what they are doing. A good BB will just angle/bow on and your AP is nearly useless and you are forced to use that bad HE. But still i often try to shoot AP at another target than use HE. 

 

In general i spam AP, with HE being the last resource. 

 

 

** Cesare is a amazing BB, one of the best ships Ive ever played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
Beta Testers
220 posts
On 12/31/2017 at 6:25 AM, Xlap said:

I fire AP most of the times. German HE is mediocre and Scharnhorst is no different to that. While the AP is really good. 

The problem is that Scharnhorst strugle against players (BBs and some cruisers) that know what they are doing. A good BB will just angle/bow on and your AP is nearly useless and you are forced to use that bad HE. But still i often try to shoot AP at another target than use HE. a amazing

5

This is true but not exactly a problem. Let's just say Scharnhorst (T7) is bow-to-bow with Friedrich der Grober (T9) at 15km. It's true that 280mm has no chance of penetrating Friedrich's bow and deck armor. However, Friedrich's 406mm gun can't pen Scharnhorst's bow and deck armor either. The caliber gap doesn't matter - both will bounce anyway.

Then it comes to shooting HE or the superstructure. Scharnhorst HE has VERY WEAK DMG hence the payer would choose AP. Each of Scharnhorst and Friedrich would have no problem penetrating its enemy's superstructure. So it again is a tie.

Then it comes to DPM trade. Scharnhorst AP is weaker, but it has 6 guns versus Friedrich's 4 guns, and it shoots 50% more shells (20sec reload vs. 30sec reload), and it has 2.0 sigma. Scharnhorst actually has higher DPM output.

This doesn't mean Scharnhorst is invincible. Scharnhorst may still lose to a Tirpitz who has better secondary and torpedo. Plus, facing BB bow to bow is not Scharnhorst's best tactic. But gun caliber isn't the only thing that matter. The 'good gun, excellent agility, and awesome armor' combination is the true reason behind this arguably #1 premium ship in this game. Congratulations to OP for this choice!

Edited by USSskywalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425
Members
2,433 posts
7,746 battles
19 hours ago, USSskywalker said:

This is true but not exactly a problem. Let's just say Scharnhorst (T7) is bow-to-bow with Friedrich der Grober (T9) at 15km. It's true that 280mm has no chance of penetrating Friedrich's bow and deck armor. However, Friedrich's 406mm gun can't pen Scharnhorst's bow and deck armor either. The caliber gap doesn't matter - both will bounce anyway.

Then it comes to shooting HE or the superstructure. Scharnhorst HE has VERY WEAK DMG hence the payer would choose AP. Each of Scharnhorst and Friedrich would have no problem penetrating its enemy's superstructure. So it again is a tie.

Then it comes to DPM trade. Scharnhorst AP is weaker, but it has 6 guns versus Friedrich's 4 guns, and it shoots 50% more shells (20sec reload vs. 30sec reload), and it has 2.0 sigma. Scharnhorst actually has higher DPM output.

This doesn't mean Scharnhorst is invincible. Scharnhorst may still lose to a Tirpitz who has better secondary and torpedo. Plus, facing BB bow to bow is not Scharnhorst's best tactic. But gun caliber isn't the only thing that matter. The 'good gun, excellent agility, and awesome armor' combination is the true reason behind this arguably #1 premium ship in this game. Congratulations to OP for this choice!

Please, im not saying that Scharnhorst is weak or anything like that, its a amazing T7 BB. Got mine just over a month ago and its becoming one of my favorite premiums ships.. 

 

I was just pointing that while most T7 BBs benefit a lot from overmatch mechanics, Scharnhorst kinda strugle with that. Overall is one of the best BB in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[GOFU]
Members
109 posts
6,482 battles

I suggest you watch Flamu , IMO his gives the best info on how to drive a ship and how to use it.  I have watched others but Flamu also gives suggestions on

how to be a team player depending on the ship and its abilities, which is sorely needed in this game.   

I shoot AP when I think I have enough broadside to shoot at, all other times I go with HE. 

I play the KG a lot and I use more HE more than AP than I should.  Set a fire and hope he puts it out quick, then set another two on him and look for

another ship to do same.  

Also your AP counts for a lot higher score than HE per round. (not counting fires you can start)

Edited by CNCfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×