You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GarethOfKelshim

Yamato Captain Skills and Playstyle

18 comments in this topic

Members
106 posts
5,873 battles

I'm working my way towards the Yamato and planning on using Admiral Yamamoto to captain it since I just obtained him and he's looking for something to do. I've heard lots of people say different things about playstyle for the Yamato so I am looking for advice. I really don't want to just hang back and snipe from 20km away; I hate when BBs do that. As such I'm looking for advice:

Is the Yamato capable of handling a non-hide and snipe playstyle and if so what captain skills do I need to use in order to be effective?

Thanks to anyone whom is able to help out with this.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles

Decent armour, not great but usable secondaries. but slooooooow turret rotation (almost to british levels). As a midrange skirmisher is usable, but not excellent. Close range is bad, your armor will not protect you broadside, cannot shot guns on close range direct ahead, not so maniobrable and huge (so eats torps easily, albeit it had a good torp protection)

To summarize, its an excellent long range sniper. Its usable on medium range. But at close range not exactly good. If still you want to use it not as a sniper, need to improve the turret rotation, and if you really want it close, you can sec-spec it (a waste on a yammy, his secondaries are decent but not impressive, better than americans but much worse than germans). Fire is a big enemy at any range (big target, huge structure, easy to hit). AA is plain bad, huge but short ranged. Wont protect you from tier X planes. 

PD: You dont need to hide on a yamato sniping from long range. You can outrange almost anything, and are normally inmune to long range return fire due to your armour.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles

The Yamato is best played around 18km.  You have quite possibly the worst turret traverse in the game, making it impossible to do any brawling or take any close range engagements.  You also have to keep in mind that you have basically the only raised citadel among T10 BBs.  The hexagonal citadel also makes it quite easy to eat citadels from odd angles.  Taking this all into account, you need to dictate the engagement, not be put into bad positions.  You have usable but not reliable secondaries, and I wouldn't recommend going for a full secondary build.  I have a stealth and survivability  build on mine currently, mainly focusing on fire prevention.  

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
57 minutes ago, GarethOfKelshim said:

Is the Yamato capable of handling a non-hide and snipe playstyle and if so what captain skills do I need to use in order to be effective?

I don't have much if any Yamato experience but as a guy who has a bunch of seat time in high tier BBs one thing I can say is that while others excel at that brawling lifestyle they still don't do this very well at the beginning of a match. The more experience you build in your ship of choice, the sooner you are able to identify the proper time and place to move into the place where you will have the most impact on the battle. 

It's never- okay, never is a strong word- It's SELDOM advisable for a BB to wade into the cap zone at the beginning of a match. You've got good experience across all platforms and are a competent player so this is not news to you. It's always been about timing and positioning- and these vary between types, tiers and nations.

Kurfurst- as an example- is capable of handling a hide and snipe play style- but it doesn't do it very well just like Yamato can handle a non-hide and snipe play style but doesn't excel at it. Kurfurst is going to get in close better and Yamato is going to be better at standing off at a distance- but Kurfurst isn't ALWAYS going to push front and center the same way Yam isn't ALWAYS going to sit in the back. 

As you would know, success in ships is about adapting your approach to the strengths of the ship and not expecting the ship to be able to adapt to you. Certainly we've all had the rogue game where you got caught severely out of position, got a couple lucky RNG rolls and managed epicness but these aren't to be the yardstick against which to measure performance. 

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
597 posts
21,212 battles

2 things dictate Yamato play style; turret rotation and a traditional above water citadel. Her belt armor is actually pretty thick but these two factors will tell you what you can do with the ship, far and away. You'll learn to admire good Yamato captains who can push when the time is right and can hit just about anything at ANY range with those depleted uranium shells she fires.

Members
106 posts
5,873 battles

Thanks folks, lots of good advice above which makes me see the error of my ways so to speak. I would say this summed up the error of my ways here nicely.

9 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

As you would know, success in ships is about adapting your approach to the strengths of the ship and not expecting the ship to be able to adapt to you. Certainly we've all had the rogue game where you got caught severely out of position, got a couple lucky RNG rolls and managed epicness but these aren't to be the yardstick against which to measure performance. 

My German BBs can be the ones I brawl with and I'll adapt my style for IJN. With this in mind here's what my first thoughts are for Skills. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tier 1: Expert Loader, Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft (or maybe Incoming Fire Alert)

Tier 2: High Alert, Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman

Tier 3: Basics of Survivability

Tier 4: Fire Prevention, Concealment Expert

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles
11 minutes ago, GarethOfKelshim said:

Thanks folks, lots of good advice above which makes me see the error of my ways so to speak. I would say this summed up the error of my ways here nicely.

My German BBs can be the ones I brawl with and I'll adapt my style for IJN. With this in mind here's what my first thoughts are for Skills. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tier 1: Expert Loader, Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft (or maybe Incoming Fire Alert)

A nice survivavility build... looks pretty good. Priority target for me is a must on tier 1, tell if you are being focused or not (and then when to shoot and when to hide). Much better than the others at tier 1. The rest looks ok.

As my yammy nosmally stays at medium to long range, i used BFT and AFT for protection against lone DDs and planes, because fires are not so common at long range (the main fire menace are cruisers, and normally I outrange them). But at medium range your build is preferable

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 minutes ago, GarethOfKelshim said:

Glad to help. 

Right off the bat I'm not 100% sure about the EL since you will spend most of your life in Yamato lolpenning basically everything with AP. I can't speak for the direction center- I used to run it on many of my BBs but stopped. I'd be concentrating on minimizing damage to modules with preventative maintenance.. I think a case could be made for priority target. 

Expert Marksman for sure- and many love adrenaline rush across all platforms. I'm not as big a fan of the HA and JoAT... but again I'm not a big yam player. I do have one, and have spec'd for it... so this is my opinion only. 

Basics of survivability given the new meta is a good choice- and I'm not sure how the math works out in the relation to superintendent and an extra heal. 

Fire prevention and concealment would be my choices in tier 4 as well. 

Speaking of Adrenaline Rush- this is somewhat off topic but in looking at it closer the description says it increases the speed of all armaments when your health decreases. But I notice on the icon for AR the same little oil can thing (whatever it is)  we see in HA and JoAT. Does AR increase the reload speed for consumables and damage control party?  

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,401 battles

I like the tank + concealment build, and I try to hang between 12 and 15km in a spot that I can project force without being extremely vulnerable.  Don't hang so far back in the back that ships closer to the caps don't really have to respect your presence, but don't yolo in either.  

image.png.2ae33dcb0c94374cac962d257e5fbb16.png

I'm pretty good at anticipating torps and where shells are going to come from (you need to get really good at absorbing the information from the minimap, this is more valuable than almost any captain skill you can train), and BB AP wrecks DD so the need for Directional Center, Incoming Fire and Expert Loader are pretty much nil.  You could maybe lose Superintendent to grab Vigilance, or JOAT + PM/Directional Center, but I like having the extra repair available.  I run the premium spotter plane on it but only really use it to shoot into smoke with or get a better view over an island when double-tapping the M button doesn't really help.

e: you also need to be careful about angling to get all 3 turrets on battleships that are relatively close range and angled parallel to you (if they're angled like they're going to come across your bow you're not quite in as much danger but still be wary about showing too flat of a side).  You need to be angled to invite them to shoot your belt but gotta be careful about showing your 3rd turret because if they know where to shoot then you're boned.  I've murdered an angled Yamato with my Montana this way before because I don't think he realized I could citadel him in this one spot, even with him angled to me.

image.png.6a1508d0e5a2a429ef3a726ca8650d87.png

image.png.7876a119ffb06594822ca8bdf2e50a82.png

Edited by Deviathan

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,721 battles
1 hour ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

The Yamato is best played around 18km.  You have quite possibly the worst turret traverse in the game, making it impossible to do any brawling or take any close range engagements.  You also have to keep in mind that you have basically the only raised citadel among T10 BBs.  The hexagonal citadel also makes it quite easy to eat citadels from odd angles.  Taking this all into account, you need to dictate the engagement, not be put into bad positions.  You have usable but not reliable secondaries, and I wouldn't recommend going for a full secondary build.  I have a stealth and survivability  build on mine currently, mainly focusing on fire prevention.  

I couldn't have said it better myself. OP, listen to this guy. For he is good. For he is wise. 

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,384 posts
5,075 battles

Survivability build is optimal, like on basically everything. I run mine with a full AA build captain + FPE and then use the modules to buff guns, but that is just my attempt to make something interesting rather than just going survivability on everything all the time.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

Same as any slow turret BBs. Pick a flank, put all enemies on one side of your ship, slowly pushing and keep your guns firing. 

• Cool 1

[USN50]
Members
70 posts
3,840 battles

i have a few hundred games in my yammy. i have found that i do have to control the battle from my point of view. i dont try to hide. it really helps the team to draw the enemies fire towards your ships so you can bounce their shells and waist the reds time firing at you, while your team caps. the more attention the red gives you, the more the reds arent firing at your team, this is a good thing. therefore i find that a fake rush near the cap, 14km, bow in, then back up, have an island on one side for cover, then once at 22km, FSA back in... back and forth, back and forth. then change positions and stop. back and forth. keep them guessing and in their range but not close enough to get torped. i don't sit still, but not going left or right either, avoid left and right.

i want to distract the reds but stay back away from ships that will burn me down. i don't really care about bbs other than the conq. i run from that ship. with that said, i think the yammy benefits best from all fire survival builds. the first 150 battles i wanted to play it close, under 10km. i had a secondary build etc... i changed my capn skills and went full survival and wow my average dmg went up because it was much harder to burn my ship to the ground than it was before. CAs used to eat me alive.

i find the yammys best tactic is to disturb the reds. if you can anticipate the right time, just when you get ahead, or if you there are no red dds, you start pushing like mad towards the reds into caps and thats someone no one wants to see, a yammy on the hunt. this causes such a distraction that it usually helps your team snowball in the lead the rest of the game.

here some hilights to look forward to. you can see my secondary build. the highlights are from my first captain long ago. i have my yamamoto capn in it now. and i have yet to get fire prevention on it unlike i had before and wow, its noticeable not having fire prevention

Edited by Kerabatsos

Beta Testers
1,410 posts
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, GarethOfKelshim said:

I'm working my way towards the Yamato and planning on using Admiral Yamamoto to captain it since I just obtained him and he's looking for something to do. I've heard lots of people say different things about playstyle for the Yamato so I am looking for advice. I really don't want to just hang back and snipe from 20km away; I hate when BBs do that. As such I'm looking for advice:

Thanks to anyone whom is able to help out with this.

The answer is no. Yamato is exclusively a sniper when compared to all other tier 9 and 10 BBs. The tight dispersion and high penetration even out to 33kms makes it that way. You will routinely citadel ships at 30km's once you get the hang of long range aiming.

Yamato has gigantic citadels that can be hit even from 25 degrees angle.. aka if Yamato is not specifically pointing its bow to you, chances are you can citadel it.

As a brawler the Yamato is useless. Giant citadels and slow rudder makes it terrible in close range fights. Its secondaries do not do squat unless most of your broadside is showing so secondary builds aren't that functional.

Mid-range combatant... a maybe but that also makes you supremely susceptible to getting citadel'd by BBs on other cap locations. Problem with being medium range is that you will also be in range of hostile cruisers..and the HE spam on your gigantic superstructure plus you being priority 1 target results in you losing most of your HP this way. You WILL get more high damage hits and citadels at this range but chances are you will die a lot faster and usually, before you can inflict much hurt on the red team.

Whatever style of play you go for the only advice I can give you is this:

1- Shoot ships in the mid-upper side hull armor at ranges beyond 12kms. Under 12kms go for waterline type shots for citadel. Why? Because beyond 12km your shells slightly arc down but are still mostly horizontal... and when your shells hit the mid-upper side hull armor they do full damage.

What is preferable? A random single citadel (12km+) per salvo granted to you by RNG doing ~20k or hitting 40 to 50k damage reliably every salvo when most of your shells pen+full damage the target ship in upper/mid side armor? It is only under 12km that you can expect more than 1 citadel per salvo...if your aim is good and RNG likes you.

At ranges beyond 24km's aim for the upper deckline. You want your shells to plunge. This is how you get citadels on ships at ridiculous ranges with Yamato. Nothing makes you want to play the YAMAAATOOO sound clip more than pounding a red BB with 2 citadel hits in a salvo at 30kms. Then doing it again the next salvo.

2- HE is not shame. When ships at long range are highly angled, toss HE at them. When facing bow-on moksvas and other soviet bias cruiser types.. use HE. When you know you're going to deal with DDs at close range, use HE.

3- Know torps are gonna hit you and you know you can't avoid them? Steer the ship so they hit the central area. Your torpedo bulges reduce damage big time.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

My Yamato Build is: Preventive Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Basic Fire Training, Advanced Fire Training, Concealment Expert, Superintendent, and Adrenaline Rush.

Catapult Fighter is more important than Spotter plane since Yamato gun’s already shoot so far and you are a favorite target for air attacks so the Catapult Fighter really helps.

[NFW]
Members
47 posts
819 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 6:59 AM, Gascan75 said:

It's never- okay, never is a strong word- It's SELDOM advisable for a BB to wade into the cap zone at the beginning of a match. You've got good experience across all platforms and are a competent player so this is not news to you. It's always been about timing and positioning- and these vary between types, tiers and nations.

Unless spec as a Secondary build Bismark or Tirpitz :P

Some of the most entertaining games I have had in that Tirp have been rushing the CAP, intercepting smoked out camping DD's and charging in while a spotter lays them bare. Secondaries on one, main guns on the other. It does not always work out well but if I can get them to panic and fire early, I can usually thread the needle of torps and might and catch one of them with mine.

Where that kind of silly crap gets me killed is by a good DD player, not panicking, and catching me too close to dodge or his buddies are too close behind and I cannot back out of my over extension... either way, great fun :P 

Edited by Algraxa

Beta Testers
1,410 posts

Ive never found catapult fighters useful honestly. They die to attack plane tail gunners almost instantly and most of the time don't even engage the attack planes until they are on the way out after hitting you. Spotters oth last a long time and allow you to hit ships inside smoke firing with ease...

..which is one of the main reasons I keep them equipped. Minotaur in smoke spamming shots at you and its not visible? Pop the spotter and aim easily where the mino's guns are flaring... get multiple citadels per salvo. Its a thing of beauty.

Spotters also allow you to tap red ships at extreme range... Yamato is not a fast ship but its reach is godly. I've got 33km range with spotter plane equipped and its joygasmic to use it to hit CV's that think they're beyond anyone's range and to hit cruiser sitting close to a hill spamming HE at friendlies...ships close to it can't shoot back but you can since you're so far away. :)