Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Which BB? Alabama or Tirpitz?

22 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
139 posts
2,967 battles

Looking for a Tier 8 Premium BB to purchase.  Which one does everyone prefer?  I've got plenty of American and German crews to level up.

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
1,726 battles

Just my two cents and an admission its been a long time so i'm not current, but i'd say the Tirpitz.. Its fast, has great guns, and the torps really do come in handy when you need them.. Alabama has history, good guns decent armor and well, attitude.. 

• Cool 1

[APOC-]
[APOC-]
Members
69 posts
3,579 battles

I have both and they are both good.  i've been enjoying the Alabama more lately though.

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,158 battles
3 minutes ago, Warchild360 said:

Just my two cents and an admission its been a long time so i'm not current, but i'd say the Tirpitz.. Its fast, has great guns, and the torps really do come in handy when you need them.. Alabama has history, good guns decent armor and well, attitude.. 

Both are great ships.  Depends on your play style.  Tirpitz rewards getting in close and brawling.  So you get close enough to use those torps.  It can snipe, but it's not good at it given it gets the infamous German dispersion.  The AA on it isn't fantastic though.  IMO, the Shiny Horse is more enjoyable to play.  But it lives at T7 as opposed to the Tirpitz which lives at T8.  Spec the Tirpitz for a secondary build and get up close and personal.  I've seen some CC's on YouTube get "Close Quarters Expert" in the Tirpitz by scoring a secondary kill at almost 9km.  But that's with a 19 point captain speced for that and a unicum player using it. 

If you're used to playing USN BB's below T8, the Alabama will seem like a ski boat speed-wise.  It can actually get somewhere.  It's a good sniper with decent guns and good speed, especially compared to anything in the US line below the North Carolina.  It might be slightly more flexible in build than the Tirpitz given you can spec it for better AA, better secondaries, or better survival.  If you spec for AA on the 'Bama, it can do well enough to make CV players look for easier targets. 

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.  Both are good credit printers.  Just depends more on your play style.  I ended up with both during the sales on Thanksgiving/Christmas.  Wanted both just due to the names/history.  Only played a handful of games in them as I'm mostly a potato and don't want to handicap a team at T8.  But I've done well in the games I've played in them and earned good credits when I've played them. 

[INTEL]
Members
6,667 posts
25,801 battles

Depends on what style you like as they are different.

I like - and have - both.

If you like tankiness and brawling, and like Bismarck, then Tirpitz is for you and it has torpedoes too! Secondaries are excellent. Aa not so much

If you like North Carolina and Iowa style, not a brawler, shooting from farther away. Squishier but strong accurate guns with slower shells, then Alabama (a cross between those too) is very good. AA is good, secondaries, not as good as Tirpitz (by far).

I personally would prefer Tirpitz first, but you cannot go wrong with either.

Edited by alexf24

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,615 battles

I also have both but I prefer the Tirpitz for both the secondaries and the torpedo's.  The Alabama hits hard when another BB shows her broadside but if it's a slugfest against another BB, I'd go with the Tirpitz.

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,772 battles

My recommendation would be the Tirpitz since its Secondaries and Torps offer a unique playstyle.  It would be an even stronger recommendation if its special cammo from last year’s Santa’s Convoy Mission we’re still available - it gave you a 100% FXP bonus which is very handy if you want the Missouri/Musashi/Nelson.

I also have the Missouri & NC & use a AA spec 19-pt Capt on them -  the Alabama playstyle would be very similar to these 2 ships so in my case, the NC is my Alabama & not worth a special premium purchase.

Edited by hangglide42

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Both! They are both great ships. Tirpitz is more newb friendly due to turtleback armor. Plus she has torpedoes and great secondaries. Alabama on the other hand is very agile, has much main guns, and has much better AA. So pick your flavor. Can't go wrong with either.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,894 posts
10,708 battles

Have both and love both. It's all about how you like to play. Get close and brawl go Tirpitz with its awesome secondarys and torps but main guns are very inaccurate at any kind of range and AA stnks.  Prefer to stay back a bit and pound stuff with your guns and melt plane squadrons before they get clise go Bama.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[SIM]
Members
2,548 posts
4,190 battles

Alabama plays better with the game’s current meta, Tirpitz has a lot more character. I don’t like either ship honestly, but Tirpitz is probably the one that I would choose between the two.

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
2,678 battles

Both are great ships so consider another factor to help make your decision - are you grinding US or German ships? Both ships are great commander trainers but if you're not pursuing one of those lines then get the one in the line you are pursuing and wait for another sale on the other one and get it then. having said that, Alabama is not usually for sale in the game whereas Tirpitz is.

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,122 battles

Not much more to add but I agree with what's been said.  Both ships are solid and will give you good games.  It just comes down to preference of play style.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

I like both as well.  But my Alabama gets more play.  It doesn't hurt that the South Dakotas are my favorite class of US battleship.  But even so.

Still, Tirpitz is a ton of fun with those secondaries.  But you can get a mirror-ship in Bismarck, whose Hydro is arguably better than Tirpitz's torps.  So I'd say get Alabama, and grind up to Bismarck so you have 2 for the price of 1.

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,899 battles

I have both. 

I like Alabama better.

Mine is spec'd as a hybrid AA(BFT, AFT)/Secondaries (Secondary Battery 2 Module) .  So much fun.  Great target shooting at 1st half of match, then  brawl 2nd half of match!  

Makes great credits without any economic flags.

[MOFOS]
[MOFOS]
Members
1 post
3,583 battles

I have both they are great ships but play a lot differently, it just depends on your play style ,  it you are a new player I would go with the Tirpiz it is more forgiving

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

ID have to vote Tirpitz.  Its tough as nails, fast firing(26s I think), fantastic secondaries, torpedos for CQC action, good top speed, turns fairly well.  Yeah, Tirpitz is a Battleshipper's battleship.

Alabama is very finnicky and obscenely soft.  Even bow on action sees it totally wrecked....

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I own both ships, with 19 captains and all.  I prefer Alabama.  The reason I prefer Alabama, is that it is more versatile and uptiers better.  Tirpitz is an awesome brawler and works very well at close to medium range, which makes it rather situational, especially in T10 games on larger maps with open spaces.  If you try to get in close in early game, you will get wasted in no time, and if you try to keep your distance - you will be inferior to Alabama for good portion of the game.  If you try to hold static position, you will be down 50% of firepower and won’t be able to use torps.  Alabama works well both on the move and in static position, at all ranges.

Sign in to follow this