Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Any tips for newbie CV dropping torps on DDs?

24 comments in this topic

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

So, I have been playing all other classes of ships for a while, and with Christmas sales I finally decided to pick up a Saipan.  I figured it would not hurt to learn how CVs work.  Being responsible player that I am, first I watched the tutorials, and then I took my ship out to the the training room.  I learned to get pretty good hits on AI battleships and cruisers, but destroyers are giving me problems.  I selected five bensons, and I was able to kill them with very high percentage of torps missing, they are really hard for me to hit.  Auto dropping simultaneously in cross pattern gives them enough time to dodge, and manually dropping is pain in the neck with the little devils maneuvering and trying to manage two groups at the same time.  Very frustrating.  Any tips on how to get better at this?

Members
1,343 posts
1,343 battles

Try cross dropping and using manual drop instead of auto. Manual drop in my experience, is the best chance to hit the gits. 

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I had luck manually dropping with 1 TB group at the time.  When I try to manage manual drop with 2 TB groups I fail, I guess I just need to practice a lot to do two separate manual drops back to back fast enough.  But then both groups have to be on the right path of their own, what a pain.  I now have more respect for those CV players that really know their stuff.

[TBW]
Members
6,400 posts
12,031 battles
10 minutes ago, Veksha said:

So, I have been playing all other classes of ships for a while, and with Christmas sales I finally decided to pick up a Saipan.

Although dd's tend not to be able to hurt you they are hard to hit with torps, Spotting them for your team and then dropping torps on lone BB,s will net you more hits. It helps if some one on your team softens them up with some HE and take out their AA. You of course have to watch for defensive AA and wait for it to run out before re attacking after a slight retreat.

[SYN]
Members
14,449 posts
10,425 battles

Stack your bombers so they are on top of each other

Send in your cross drop so that one is coming directly from behind, while the other is about 85d from behind

The one that drops directly from behind can drop a bit early

When closing the distance, you will have to eyeball their distance to drop, so that the lines to the drop circle are approximately the same length. If the bombers were stacked to begin with, they will usually have the same line length / time to drop.

Try practicing in coop with auto first to practice getting the timing right.

Then switch to manual

You don't necessarily have to sink the DD to render it useless for the rest of the match. Just deal enough damage and keeping it spotted should be enough for your team or secondaries to finish it off.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

Stack your bombers so they are on top of each other

Send in your cross drop so that one is coming directly from behind, while the other is about 85d from behind

The one that drops directly from behind can drop a bit early

When closing the distance, you will have to eyeball their distance to drop, so that the lines to the drop circle are approximately the same length. If the bombers were stacked to begin with, they will usually have the same line length / time to drop.

Try practicing in coop with auto first to practice getting the timing right.

Then switch to manual

You don't necessarily have to sink the DD to render it useless for the rest of the match. Just deal enough damage and keeping it spotted should be enough for your team or secondaries to finish it off.

Most excellent advice.  I just tried it out, and I was able to sink 5 out or 5 AI controlled Benson DDs on first try.  I also appreciate the last line in your post, however I want to be able to be efficient at carrying out a strike vs DD in case one goes after me in the end game.  Saipan has no secondaries at all, so my planes is my only defense.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

Can you educate me on best drop patterns?  I prefer to cross drop on BBs and cruises coming from front and dropping at 45 degree angles off their bow.  But I saw experienced players do one sided manual drops that land most of the torps.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,198 posts
12,716 battles

Here's a tip for dropping torps on DDs:

First, read the DDs player name. If it's a four letter name that starts with an L and ends in 'ert' go find another target.

• Funny 1

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,552 battles

Try and keep your aircraft above him/her without dropping.  Nothing is more aggravating for a DD then circling aircraft spotting him when his smoke runs out.  if he turns on his AA guns, he's an additional target so it's a win/win for your team. 

[SYN]
Members
14,449 posts
10,425 battles
7 hours ago, Veksha said:

Can you educate me on best drop patterns?  I prefer to cross drop on BBs and cruises coming from front and dropping at 45 degree angles off their bow.  But I saw experienced players do one sided manual drops that land most of the torps.

unfortunately, that's all I know about cross drops, since I am not a CV main.

I suggest checking out Aerroon and Femenenly on twitch/youtube for CV gameplay.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
6 hours ago, Lert said:

Here's a tip for dropping torps on DDs:

First, read the DDs player name. If it's a four letter name that starts with an L and ends in 'ert' go find another target.

2DD5C6BC-18FD-4F5C-A331-755C1227EB3A.jpeg

• Funny 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,208 battles

Its all about training, keep trying util you be good at.

Cross drop is the best drop, but know you targer too, like some ijn/ru dds have a bad rudder and AA (not grozovoi) so is easy to hit.

Saipan is a hard ship to start learn to drop in DDs, she only have 3 torps/group.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I would suggest that making your first foray into CVs by purchasing a premium ship half way up the CV tiers was a mistake. You gain valuable experience by playing CVs of tier IV and V, etc. By jumping into Tier VII for your first CV it disadvantages your teammates.

All of the advice given above is good, but I for one would argue that the ability to cross drop torps needs to be removed. It is simply too easy for a CV that gets 2 or 3 torpedo squadrons to delete ships when they are able to crossdrop (while other CVs only get 1 torp squadron and have to deal with super maneuverable ships - like DDs). Even with fewer torpedos per squadron, the ability to cross drop guarantees a kill against any ship without sufficient AA to shoot down the planes before they can drop (assuming a CV player that's decent). For example, even with only 3 torpedos per squadron, a drop against a DD by 3 squadrons from 85-95 degrees + a drop from 180 degrees + a drop from 310-320 degrees = dead DD. That drop would mean a minimum of 2 hits, or a max of 5.

Either the manual drops need to be made from further away (not a fan of this option as it unfairly disadvantages those CVs with a single torp squadron far more than those with multiple squadrons), or they need to remove the multiple torp squadrons option (and increase the number of planes per squadron to compensate).

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
On 12/28/2017 at 10:55 AM, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I would suggest that making your first foray into CVs by purchasing a premium ship half way up the CV tiers was a mistake. You gain valuable experience by playing CVs of tier IV and V, etc. By jumping into Tier VII for your first CV it disadvantages your teammates.

I played over 4,000 battles in solo pvp in this game, and most of these were in tier 10 and tier 8 ships.  I almost never played in ships below tier 6 in this game, and yet somehow managed to have 55% win rating.  By jumping into tier VII for my first CV I was able to win 10 out of 12 battles, so I fail to see how I disadvantage my teams in any way.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles

I don't think that any of the premium CV's are good for learning CV's, Wargamming went for unique game play over just plain solid game play.

Saipan with her odd, over tiered air wing.

Kaga would just spoil new CV captains, she's a one trick pony, but when nuking anything you want in one drop is her trick, does she need more?

Enterprise might have been ok, if it wasn't for the wonky torp drops. Her dive bombers may or may not be useful based on the number of German BB's on the other team.

Graf Zeppelin it remains to be seen, but from the play testing I doubt she's going to be a good one to learn with.

None of them are a good substitute for getting a Ryujo then a Hiryu. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,018 battles

I suggest that you get a Hosho and play 25 battles in it. Try cross dropping cruisers.  That works even with auto drop. When you can cross drop a Gremyaschy with Hosho you’re ready to move up. 

Farazellath’s carrier guide is priceless:  

CVs literally are a different game as far as I’m concerned. Yes, it helps to understand the map, which ships need killing, etc. but the interface is so different and you’re mainly playing against the other carrier(s). 

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
98 posts
5,546 battles
On 12/26/2017 at 10:36 PM, Veksha said:

So, I have been playing all other classes of ships for a while, and with Christmas sales I finally decided to pick up a Saipan.  I figured it would not hurt to learn how CVs work.  Being responsible player that I am, first I watched the tutorials, and then I took my ship out to the the training room.  I learned to get pretty good hits on AI battleships and cruisers, but destroyers are giving me problems.  I selected five bensons, and I was able to kill them with very high percentage of torps missing, they are really hard for me to hit.  Auto dropping simultaneously in cross pattern gives them enough time to dodge, and manually dropping is pain in the neck with the little devils maneuvering and trying to manage two groups at the same time.  Very frustrating.  Any tips on how to get better at this?

Since over a third of all my games in Warships are with Aircraft Carriers, i know a little about this issue of yours.

I can see that you want to maximize your performance with CV's:cap_win:

If you don't want to put work in use the 3-0-1 flight control mod and click the pesky dd's. :etc_red_button:

If you care about getting better and better with CV's read the following::fish_book:

Three things:

1- Don't spend all your practice in Co-op or training rooms. The key to kicking butt in a CV is getting your butt kicked.

2- Learn from your mistakes and keep failing. Failing is the best way to be better next time (Don't rage quit because you got rekt by a Full AA spec Cleveland).

3- No amount of video watching will compensate for missed RNG drops and fails. (Dive bombers are vulnerable to RNG and therefore slightly controversial in the CV community.)

BUT, there is hope. 

It's called the torpedo acceleration captain skill. 

I have found the skill to be useful for Carriers as your never really need the full range of your torpedoes and having an extra 5 knots is useful for "the little devils".

Honestly, you need to put effort into carriers for a little while before you see all that effort in your gameplay.

We need more CV players in the community, so thanks for your interest in them.

Hope this helps :cap_like:

-KSN      

• Cool 2

360 posts
194 battles
18 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I suggest that you get a Hosho and play 25 battles in it. Try cross dropping cruisers.  That works even with auto drop. When you can cross drop a Gremyaschy with Hosho you’re ready to move up. 

Farazellath’s carrier guide is priceless:  

CVs literally are a different game as far as I’m concerned. Yes, it helps to understand the map, which ships need killing, etc. but the interface is so different and you’re mainly playing against the other carrier(s). 

Quoting this because this guide can never be linked too much, it is an almost invaluable resource for anyone who is wanting to improve their CV play.

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Wait until they Smoke and manual drop works about 30% of the time. I tend to flush them out and let other ships deal with them or have DB deal with them if no one else can.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
3 hours ago, TugboatCommander said:

Quoting this because this guide can never be linked too much, it is an almost invaluable resource for anyone who is wanting to improve their CV play.

I'm only if you want to play IJN as he is very into the old carrier meta of torpedoe dominance. Dive bombers are starting to take over so his info is dated.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,018 battles
4 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

I'm only if you want to play IJN as he is very into the old carrier meta of torpedoe dominance. Dive bombers are starting to take over so his info is dated.

"Dated"?  No.  Just the fighter tactics alone make Fara's guide worth watching.

Dive bombers are not really taking over.  When playing anything other than a German battleship, I always click on the torpedo bombers.

The OP asked specifically about the Saipan so torp tactics are essential. 

Also, Fara has new guides on both IJN and USN tech tree CVs. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Saipan torpedo ha ha ha yeah and not take three fighter squads funny.

Yeah it’s very dated a torpedo Saipan will suffer against an air superiority build carriers and tier 8 BBs mainly Bama and NoCo. I kill waves of tier 10 bombers and eat 9 torpedo bombers in both and now you have Kii to add to that threat. Most tier seven cruisers have DF and three torpedoes are easy to dodge even when manual dropped after DF is poppped. 

Also many a Saipan owners will inform Kaga will sink you if you don’t have enough fighters to deal with that many planes. Which because you lack defensive fire are pretty much looking for your carrier as Kaga captains will snipe if they see a Saipan on the other team as fools still take torpedo builds which are easy to snipe. Hiryu if you are lucky might be balanced build but not likely because of the low tier TBs it has access to causing most to opt for air superiority builds. So your torpedo bombers will be dodging fighters. Those fighters don’t have to kill just cause your TB accuracy to drop and Hiryu has a spare fighter to do that.

Your only hope to do well is with a torpedo Saipan is against a strike Ranger and they are gone or be up tier a rare event. So yeah his guide is quite dated. Torpedo Saipan isn’t a current meta option the air superiority with DB is but you pretty much will be killing planes and scouting not dealing ship damage.

Also speaking of which why even have a Saipan sold mine ages ago buy an Enterprise as even Mr Shokaku (Fara) would tell you it’s much, much better. 

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
98 posts
5,546 battles
9 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

why even have a Saipan sold mine ages ago

Never sell a premium ship

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
12 hours ago, xKSNx said:

Never sell a premium ship

Well when a ship is totally redundant and a I stop playing with it for months and I hit a point in a new line that the credits seem worth it I sell. I have and love playing Enterprise and never liked Saipan as not having a full squadron of fighters even tier 9 ones was not my cup of tea.

Edited by GreyFox78659

Sign in to follow this