You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Miproyq

Captain skills for US DDs

12 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
23 battles

I'm currently at the Nicholas, and I'm undecided on what to spec for my captain skills. What should I choose so that I can prepare for the rest of the US DD line? 

*Especially the tier 3 skill

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

I acquire them like this

1. Priority Target
  2. Last Stand
  3. Survival Expert
  4. Concealment Expert
  5. T3 skill (Torpedo Armament Expert for Fletcher) (Superintendent for others)
  6. T3 skill (Demolition Expert or Basic Fire Training)
  7. Adrenalin Rush
  8. Preventative Maintenance
Edited by MrDeaf

[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles
44 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000001010000000000000119

Four must haves then pick whatever else suits you. After T8, torp boat build is possible. Before T8, gunboat only.

Exactly the site I was going to ... cite.  :cap_yes:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,470 battles

1. Preventive Maintenance. (Don't waste priority target because u r a DD and as higher the tier you play, every one will focus you because you are a DD)

2. Last Stand (No question asked)

3. BFT for more pew pew or DE cuz u want to burn stuff.

4. Concealment Expert cuz you r a DD.

This much takes 10 points. After that you build your captain skills suited for you playstyle. E.g. torp armament if you want quicker torp loads, Adrenalin rush if you want moar pew pew as you lose health or Survivability Expert if you want to get some more HP to survive longer. Take your pick.

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles

Survivability Expert? Really? That is the last skill I would ever consider putting on a US DD (or any DD actually)...especially at lower tiers where it hardly gives you anything.

Torpedo Armament Expert is a must for maximum damage output...& you can still "stealth" torp w/bad detection...you just have to find ships coming towards you & just move away while torping...which actually happens quite often.

Basic Fire Training is also a must for US DDs...faster ROF is essential for cap securing & they have the best guns (if you don't include the RU DDs that rarely cap)...might as well take advantage of them by boosting them (Advanced Fire Training not so much anymore since stealth shooting is a thing of the past).

Super Intendant for US DDs is the only other 3rd tiered skill I would even consider...that extra smoke can be essential for covering your team late in the battle & helping to secure the win & the extra boost allows you to lay a very long line of smoke so torpers have a harder time determining where to torp into it.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,532 battles

Yes, SE, because you have to survive the first DD vs DD encounter in order to stealth torpedo later on.  TAE would be a nice skill to have at T3, but honestly, there are other skills that are more important.  These ships thrive on that first encounter, everything else after is usually from smoke or behind an island.  The only ship I run TAE and TA on is Gearing because that ship's guns are garbage unless you buy into AFT as a four point skill to match Fletcher's range.... even so, the ship still does better in the first engagement with different builds.

• Cool 1

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,715 battles

Your first 10 points show go into: Priority Target or Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Survivability Expert and Concealment Expert. The latter 3 are critical skills to have ASAP.

Beyond that I'd go Adrenaline Rush and Basic Firing Training. For your last 4 points go whichever of PT or PM that you don't have yet, and then take your pick from the remaining Tier 3 skills. VigilanceSuperintendent and Torpedo Armament Expertise are all solid choices. 

[PAT]
Members
9 posts
5,757 battles

The basic build for most DD captains:

1. Preventative Maintenance (to improve survivability) (1 pt)
  2. Last Stand (to improve survivability) (3 pts)
  3. Survivability Expert (to improve survivability) (6 pts)
  4. Concealment Expert (to improve survivability) (10 pts)

These core skills are essential to maximizing your endurance, particularly in DD knife fights. From there, the essential skills to get for a US DD are Adrenaline Rush and Superintendent. After that, you can let your play style determine which perks to finish with.

2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Survivability Expert? Really? That is the last skill I would ever consider putting on a US DD (or any DD actually)...especially at lower tiers where it hardly gives you anything.

DD gunfights often come down to battles of attrition and every point of HP counts, especially when you have very little to begin with. It can also make all the difference if you accidentally eat a torp. For the Nicholas, it provides a modest 13% boost in HP, but after that it's a significant 18% boost for the rest of the US line.

3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Basic Fire Training is also a must for US DDs

By the time you get to Benson, to say nothing of Gearing, BFT provides so little benefit as to be useless. It is more than made up for by AR.

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles
5 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

By the time you get to Benson, to say nothing of Gearing, BFT provides so little benefit as to be useless. It is more than made up for by AR.

I was only covering 3rd tier skills...Adrenalin Rush is the next most important 2nd tier skill after Last stand...but Demolition Expert is also a highly valuable 2nd tier skill...sucks when you outturn your guns in any ship but especially a DD in a knife fight.

I honestly didn't even consider that DDs would take SE but I'm gonna start paying attention to who has the extra HP & see how my BFT/AR combo stacks up against them in 1 on 1 knife fights. If I see a significant advantage to it I may consider switching over...but odds are if I do decide to change it I will probably take off the SI for the SE.

I will do the math & compare the extra damage potential from BFT/AR combo to the extra HP needed to kill those w/SE & see what the numbers say...but I will be taking into effect the fact that my AR will be charging faster than theirs because I have less HP therefore the same amount of damage to both of us gives me more of a percentage of damage done to me thus better affect from AR...unfortunately this will not be happening soon so I will probably not get around to posting the results as it will be a stale topic by then...sorry.

[PAT]
Members
9 posts
5,757 battles
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I honestly didn't even consider that DDs would take SE but I'm gonna start paying attention to who has the extra HP & see how my BFT/AR combo stacks up against them in 1 on 1 knife fights. If I see a significant advantage to it I may consider switching over...but odds are if I do decide to change it I will probably take off the SI for the SE.

Keep in mind that there will be incoming fire from other sources as well, so a straight 1v1 may not be the most typical scenario. At the end of the day skill is probably going to be more of a factor than a perk here or there.

• Cool 1