You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

A Whale's Tale: Santa Crates - how much did you spend (with poll)? Would you spend the same again?

How much did you spend?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. I spent...

• $0 - $50
    • $50 - $100
    • $100 - $200
    • $200 - $300
    • $300 - $400
    • $400 - $500
    • $500+
  2. 2. Were you happy with what you got from the crates so far?

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

82 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Members
2,096 posts
6,729 battles

I'm not sure how many other whales are out there, but I spent just under $350 this Christmas on crates (20x$1, five of the 20x$3, 20x$5, and a 5x$5). This net me a boatload of ships (20), a year of premium (regrettably via the obtained doubloons and not any of the180/90 days....) and a lot of ships.  Midway through this I ended up picking up a ton of the cheaper premium ships with doubloons I had from Halloween, so that I would be more guaranteed to pull better ships (which worked, I now have every single premium that was available in the santa crates :fish_boom:).

image.thumb.png.7eff213051c5207f736a96c02b4816b1.png

I am SUPER EXCITED to play all these boats this year as I've wanted many of them throughout the year. It ended up costing me, if I factor the year premium at around $70, a little over $10/boat, ignoring all the camos and special flags that I got which will help out with grinding immensely. The last 20x$3 filled out the collection netting the four on the bottom - Alabama, Tirpitz, Gremy, and Kamikaze (!!!).  

Thanks Wargaming for letting me have such a whale of a time, I do actually like this game and hope to see an awesome 2018. That is... if my wife lets me survive until then :fish_viking:

How much did you spend?

Edited by enderland07

Members
6,903 posts
7,508 battles

With what was in the crates compared to last year, no, I would not have spent what I did had I been aware in advance, nor do I currently plan to spend what I did this year next year, if I even choose to spend anything at all. The evidence over 2017 has shown WG getting stingier and stingier with any kind of reward, and even the premium content has been very sub-par over the last 6 months.

WG is simply no longer worth the money it once was, entirely due to its own actions. I did get useful things, no denying that, but the reality is the crates were worth about 1/3 what they were last year. Considering these are all digital items, they aren't real, that WG continues to reduce rewards while asking for more money for what they do "reward" in spite of that, I really don't feel my money is served well going to them, anymore.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,401 posts
9,561 battles

Wallet Warriors -- not Whales.

I spent $31.72 for gifts to friends on WOWS, and $16.99 on myself.

Got back many thanks, good cheer, some flags/camo/doubs, and a Mutsu.

All in all..  Pretty good season so far.  It's not over yet.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,744 posts
10,116 battles

I'm getting to the point where I've bought the premium ships in interested in - Roma is probably the exception - and thus using a gambling system to get ships probably isn't the right way to go about it. 

I think the main issue for crates is that WG highly values the special flags (Wyvern, etc) and camos, whereas the player base - generally - values these less. 

[NDA]
Supertester
4,838 posts
13,778 battles

I have spent about $10 on the dollar presents and I sent every one to different players who I wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to. 

Not sure I'll get any for myself as I fairly content with the stuff I have in port. And just my luck if I did get some boxes for myself I would get some Meh/stupid under powered boat. 

[VVV]
Beta Testers
799 posts
5,156 battles

0$, And was very happy what I got. Cause if I had spent money I know there wouldn't have been anything good RNG could roll for me. I learned my lesson years ago on WG's RNG [edited]. lol Never give them money unless it's out right for something. And even then lol I wouldn't.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles

Bought a couple big 5's for friends and 1 big 5 for me on NA, then spent the rest on EU. I figured it would be the only money that I would spend over there. Sure wish the money I have spent here counted over there though. I got 4 premiums and many doubloons on EU so I bought 3 tech tree premiums and they gave me a De Grasse because of how long I didn't play over there. So I was very happy. I also got 2 premiums for invite a friend because I went on the EU forum and asked for a code since I hadn't played there for so long. So I now have 10 premiums on EU and have only spent like $140 across the pond.

PS I got my gremy and Nik in my Na boxes the 2 free ones and the 5 big ones (I already had all of the other purchasable premiums here on NA).

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles

Just under $300 for 120 crates, 20 mega 100 big. Got a crap tonne of ships and about 17k doubloons

1. Mutsu
  2. Okhotnik
  3. Gremyashchy
  4. Huang He
  5. Lo Yang
  6.  Kidd
  7. Alabama
  8. Kutuzov
  9. Perth
  10. Belfast
  11. Giulio Cesare
  12. Duca A'osta
  13. De Grasse
  14. Dunkurque
  15. Kii
  16. Błyskawica
  17. Hood
  18. Gallant
  19. Scharnhorst
  20. Molotov
  21. Sims
  22. Indianapolis
  23. Arizona
  24. Leningrad

With the doubloons I picked up Enterprise to do the honorable service campaigns missions.

Plus a lots of flags camo and fxp too. Ended up gaining about 500k fxp (using the camo + flags + win bonus + missions) since the boxes hit.

Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles

Shot my wad last year on a year of premium, Atlanta, a premium camo for Gearing, a bit of free XP to upgrade to my 1st 19 point commander, & a few crates. In the crates (some which I bought others that were gifted...& I gifted a couple) I came up w/Indy, Tex, Arizona, & a bunch of Emdens for not a lot of money.

Just can't afford it this year...but I thank all the whales that keep this game up & running because I really do enjoy playing it...hope to be able to contribute myself more in the future.

BTW...due to all the free premium time just randomly given away I still have 91 days left & that was purchased around Thanksgiving last year so have earned an additional 120+ days since the original purchase...so 4 months of free premium throughout the year is pretty generous & it will more than likely be bumped up to around 4.5-5 months total at least (w/PT bonuses & other odds & end free premium day gives) before I finish w/the 3 months I have left...for those that think WG is stingy w/their rewards I tend to disagree.

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,469 battles

$40. 5 x $5, 5 x $3

Got Lo Yang, 2k doubloon, then dragon flags & camos. I can say I am happy. Yes I would spend more but not this year.

Edited by zuga_01

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,795 posts
10,567 battles

I spent WAAYYYY too much on them but only because they were so good that I couldn't help going back. Ships, doubloons, premium time, free XP, and those awesome special flags (hydra, wyvern, etc...) for me made this year a huge success. I just wish I had more will power and spent less on principle not based on results. I have done well stopping now and hope to not buy anymore. Hopefully I can hold out until it is over for the year. I must have tripled my investment if not more.

I got...

• Mutsu 
  • Arizona 
  • Atlanta 
  • Kidd 
  • Alabama 
  • Okhotnik 
  • Okt Rev 
  • Leningrad 
  • Kutuzov 
  • Admiral Graf Spee (had an HSF version but guess that doesn't count as a duplicate) 
  • Scharnhorst 
  • Gallant 
  • Anshan 
  • De Grasse 
  • Giulio Cesare 
  • Duca D'Aosta 
  • Perth
  • Missouri (*-see below)
  • 180 Days Premium
  • 3 X 30 Days Premium
  • 27,600 Doubloons
  • 200K Free XP
  • Enough camo and flags until next year LOL
  • Millions of Credits (** see below)

(*) = The combo of all that Free XP, Premium ships, reward boosting flags, and all those Doubloons (convert elite and premium ship XP) I got made it possible for me to get Missouri in just a few days and before it goes away so that was a HUGE deal for me. I can't believe how fast I got there because of the help from the Santa crates.

(**) = I got 5 Premium DD's. I don't play DD's. So, I will keep the Captains in my reserves for future use, use the port slots for new ships I eventually get to, and then sell the Premium DD's once they go off Christmas sale so I get full value in credits for them. Should be many Millions of credits which I can use. 

So I spent a boat load of real money (no pun intended) but IMO I more than got my spent value back in return. I got WAY more value back then spent actually. This year's crates were a million times better for me than last year's which were awful (again for me). 2 thumbs up to WG for this year's crates. :Smile_great::Smile_great:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
4,398 posts
9,515 battles

I bought two of the x20 $3 present bundles, and one x5 $3.

I got Hood, Mutsu, Huanghe, and Blyskawica.  I got a few thousand doubloons, some of which I used to buy Giulio Cesare.

I got over 200 Frosty Fir camo.  I don't like looking at it, but the bonuses are very nice and it still isn't as ugly as last year's Christmas camo.

Yes, I think the 2017 Christmas presents are on par with last year, so I give them :Smile_great:...even though I STILL haven't been able to pull a Gremyaschy. :Smile-angry:

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles

Spent just shy of $100.  Got 5 x Mega, 30 x Big, plus the two they gave out for the Legion promotion.  My luck was worse than most to the point I'm a bit mad at myself for having wasted so much money.  Kept drawing a near constant stream of those frosty fugly fir tree camos that, to me, are worthless.  Of all those 37 boxes I got ONE bote.  The Gallant.  And it's kind of a 'meh' bote.  Haven't even had the desire to play it.  Got about 5k dubs, the rest were all flags and camo.  Stuff that I really didn't need or want.  Apparently WG places the same 'value' on 15 of those frosty fugly fir tree camos as they do a premium ship with a slot and 10 point captain.  Tell you what WG, I'll trade you 60 (given a lot of people were seeing a drop rate of about 1 ship in 4 boxes) of those junk camos for a premium ship, slot, and ten point captain.  I'd like a Nicolai, Kamikaze R, and Kutuzov.  I'll still have some of those camos left over.  But WG won't take them in trade.  Guess their 'value' really is zero after all.

Only reason I bought crates at all was this is the only way to obtain these ships.  But instead got WAY too many flags and camo.  Flags and camo have always been in the store.  But the thought of buying any never even crossed my mind as I place a near zero value on them.  Even if they sold for a penny a piece, I doubt I'd spend money on them.  Yet with rare exception, that's about all I got.  I got Scrooged.

[PVE]
Members
9,547 posts
7,456 battles
7 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

I like Credit Card Commandos too. :) 

I too sent out more boxes to my clan, some people on the forum and in a Secret Santa thread, than I got for myself. But, sending boxes to the clan was great. We have great members and have got almost all the buildings before the Santa box craziness. With the DoY, New Year Raid and Santa boxes, our clan has picked up over 15k oil in a week!

I play mostly PvE and when I play PvP, I don't get too many flags. The flags and ships and camo have been great. I was sending out 5 $1 boxes and I know at least three people got ships that they wanted out of them, so that was awesome.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I still have ships from last year's Santa Crates that I have yet to play. That fact alone prohibits me from spending this time around. 

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

I spent $136 and did very well for myself.  Honestly, I am not sure why people are complaining about WG being stingy this year because overall I got just as much as I did last year and due to RNGesus being on my side, got it for about $100 less.  The only real difference I saw was  that you couldn't farm gold by buying 50 boxes at a time and raking in the gold from all the duplicates you rolled.  On the other hand if you were just after ships, this year made it much easier to get those ships without fear of rolling duplicates.  Also the camo and flags this year were much more valuable in my mind.   Last year I ended up with like 900 of the camo that had no bonuses other than 200% Free XP.  This year all the camos offer tons of bonuses to everything while still having the bonus reduction in surface detectability and maximum dispersion to enemy shells. 

So for myself I got 10 ships worth over $300 at Retail pricing, 12,300 gold worth another $50+ and probably $25 worth of camo for that $136 investment.  I also used that 12,300 gold to covert to free XP and now will have enough Free XP to nab the Musashi when (if) it replaces the Missouri in the tech tree, a ship I wouldn't have been able to access otherwise due to the limited play time I have available to me.

So overall money very well spent this year.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,096 posts
6,729 battles
10 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Nah wallet warriors are people who have a tier IV ship in the tech tree and then buy tier VIII premiums and do terribly :)

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

Honestly, I am not sure why people are complaining about WG being stingy this year

Probably because I spent about 2/3 what you did and have little to show for it.  Several times I'd get nothing but frosty fugly camo 3 boxes in a row.  Opening 5 + 2 I opened 5 boxes of that junk camo. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

My problem is I own pretty much all the premium ships I want.  So I bought a pack of 20 small crates specifically for flags/camo/free exp and did pretty well.  Also picked up a Leningrad which maybe I will try someday (I've got quite the collection of accidental premium DDs at this point!  LOL)

Also bought 5 mega packs hoping for the 180 day premium.  Didn't get it, but got more flags and doubloons and stuff, all at a cheaper price than I could have bought them otherwise.  So pretty happy with my take.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Spent just shy of $100.  Got 5 x Mega, 30 x Big, plus the two they gave out for the Legion promotion.  My luck was worse than most to the point I'm a bit mad at myself for having wasted so much money.  Kept drawing a near constant stream of those frosty fugly fir tree camos that, to me, are worthless.  Of all those 37 boxes I got ONE bote.  The Gallant.  And it's kind of a 'meh' bote.  Haven't even had the desire to play it.  Got about 5k dubs, the rest were all flags and camo.  Stuff that I really didn't need or want.  Apparently WG places the same 'value' on 15 of those frosty fugly fir tree camos as they do a premium ship with a slot and 10 point captain.  Tell you what WG, I'll trade you 60 (given a lot of people were seeing a drop rate of about 1 ship in 4 boxes) of those junk camos for a premium ship, slot, and ten point captain.  I'd like a Nicolai, Kamikaze R, and Kutuzov.  I'll still have some of those camos left over.  But WG won't take them in trade.  Guess their 'value' really is zero after all.

Only reason I bought crates at all was this is the only way to obtain these ships.  But instead got WAY too many flags and camo.  Flags and camo have always been in the store.  But the thought of buying any never even crossed my mind as I place a near zero value on them.  Even if they sold for a penny a piece, I doubt I'd spend money on them.  Yet with rare exception, that's about all I got.  I got Scrooged.

They don't place the same value on the camos and the ship.  If they did, their drop rates would be equal. 

That's like saying the state places the same value on a $5 winning scratch off lottery ticket and an $50 winning scratch off.  Because you can get either one by paying $1 and scratching off boxes.

You just had some back luck.

Just because you personally place zero value on flags and camos doesn't mean they have none.  Personally, I like the fir tree camo bonuses.  Over time I've grown accustomed to having ugly camos on my ships that don't have their own custom camos.  I just use them when I'm grinding something in particular, and the grind goes really fast.  I'm not a fan of grinding, so they help me avoid that.

The signals are awesome.  I don't see how anybody could not like those.  That's how you wind up with games where you earn 30k - 40k captains xp.  It's a big part of why I have 4 or 5 19 point captains at this point, along with a bunch in the 17+ range.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,096 posts
6,729 battles
20 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Probably because I spent about 2/3 what you did and have little to show for it.  Several times I'd get nothing but frosty fugly camo 3 boxes in a row.  Opening 5 + 2 I opened 5 boxes of that junk camo. 

If you look at the number of them that I received, you'll see it's one of the most common drops (it was for me).

The signals are great, not sure how much $ I'd assign to them @TheDreadnought but i was repeating the op yesterday and netting 30-40k elite xp per game. Which is nice, especially since I have a whole bunch of captains to put xp on....

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
4 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

You just had some back luck.

Just because you personally place zero value on flags and camos doesn't mean they have none.  Personally, I like the fir tree camo bonuses.  Over time I've grown accustomed to having ugly camos on my ships that don't have their own custom camos.  I just use them when I'm grinding something in particular, and the grind goes really fast.  I'm not a fan of grinding, so they help me avoid that.

The signals are awesome.  I don't see how anybody could not like those.  That's how you wind up with games where you earn 30k - 40k captains xp.  It's a big part of why I have 4 or 5 19 point captains at this point, along with a bunch in the 17+ range.

Flags and camo might be 'valuable' to a player who regularly earns a solid amount of credits and XP on a T7 or higher ship.  I'm kind of a potato who rarely puts up big numbers, so a 'bonus' on a below average game in a T6 or lower ship just doesn't get that much.  To an average or above average player, yes, I can see how they'd be valuable.  To me, not so much.  A 'bonus' on 600 XP doesn't bring that much.  And I can't count on getting a 1500+ XP game on a regular basis.  My average XP is only 665.  So adding a bonus on that yields minimal return.  They'd have more 'value' if I could gift them to players who helped win battles I'm in.  But alas I can't.

And yes, I had really bad luck.  I can only recall having read posts from a couple people who had a lower ship drop rate than I did.  Heck, the 'returning players' got a better ship drop rate than I did and they didn't buy a single crate. 

[MIA-A]
Members
2,096 posts
6,729 battles
Just now, ZARDOZ_II said:

Flags and camo might be 'valuable' to a player who regularly earns a solid amount of credits and XP on a T7 or higher ship.  I'm kind of a potato who rarely puts up big numbers, so a 'bonus' on a below average game in a T6 or lower ship just doesn't get that much.  To an average or above average player, yes, I can see how they'd be valuable.  To me, not so much.  A 'bonus' on 600 XP doesn't bring that much.  And I can't count on getting a 1500+ XP game on a regular basis.  My average XP is only 665.  So adding a bonus on that yields minimal return.  They'd have more 'value' if I could gift them to players who helped win battles I'm in.  But alas I can't.

And yes, I had really bad luck.  I can only recall having read posts from a couple people who had a lower ship drop rate than I did.  Heck, the 'returning players' got a better ship drop rate than I did and they didn't buy a single crate. 

You can probably get more consistent XP in the scenarios than in random battles.

Members
2,122 posts

After this year... I'm not going to buy Santa crates next year. Very disappointing X-mas. 100 boxes only 11 ships, no prem time and only 13k doubloons. I watched flambass open 100 up of close to what I got and he got only 2% better then I did... He too didn't get any prem time.

I was going to buy it (prem time) for doubloons in game, but it costs $5 more and you don't get flags... So, I bought the inflated one for cash.

I have 51 premium ships now (soon 53). I have to do a lot of commander training. So the next 2 years I'll be doing that. Only thing I'll buy next year is maybe some prem time.

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
4 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

After this year... I'm not going to buy Santa crates next year. Very disappointing X-mas. 100 boxes only 11 ships, no prem time and only 13k doubloons. I watched flambass open 100 up of close to what I got and he got only 2% better then I did... He too didn't get any prem time.

And your ship rate is about 4x what I received.  If I would have had that same rate I would have had 3 or 4 ships.  But I only received one.