Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

And who said the Atago was no good for ranked?

19 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles

I was really impressed with this player. Usually when I push with a BB my team runs and hides, leaving me to die. This guy was in front of me torping, guarding my flank, and then right behind me for the final push. In the final push, I was drawing torp fire, tanking damage, getting off shots with my mains and secondaries to weaken the enemy and the Atago was then finishing them off. The game was a short one and we were set to lose it but everything fell into place for us at the end because of good teamwork.

Edited by Snargfargle

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,185 posts
11,695 battles

If someone thinks Atago is bad at anything, they are wrong lol

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There was a whole thread on it not too long ago.

I know there have been numerous threads stating that cruisers in general are the least effective ship type to play in ranked and often struggle to make much of an impact.  Then again, that can work to your advantage if you're actually a very good cruiser player, since the matchmaker tries to balance the ship types.  If you know you're likely to outperform the cruiser that will be matched with you on the other team, it might be your best bet to give your team an advantage and consistently win games.

I still wouldn't recommend selecting a cruiser as your first choice for ranked play, though.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

That's my opinion too. LOL. Why do you think I keep writing songs about it?

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles

Atago with Kutuzov are not on top of the CA ranked rec lists only because of no radar. They are strong ships and aren't bottom barrel like Martel, Hipper, Mogami, Eddie.

2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I think this is the post that triggered it.

Yeah, 8 pt Commander in ranked... no cruiser will do that well. Plus with cruisers requiring a lot more skill than BBs. No wonder a Derptiz driver doesn't like Atago

Members
417 posts

Most cruiser players in Ranked have either had to run for their lives because there are far so many BBs, or have sat in the back and farmed damage. A good cruiser player on your team makes all the difference. If I see a Kutozov, non-radar Edinburgh or a Charles Martel, I immediately know that I'm going to have to work extra hard to carry these folks.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,794 posts
7,968 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

DPM, AA, Turning

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,732 posts
7,721 battles

Atago is not bad, but most people who do play it are. Some people just have difficulty telling the difference between a badly played ship and a bad ship. 

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,409 battles

I'm not a big fan of the Atago/Takao. It has relatively long reload time for the guns, slowish turret traverse, and turns very slowly. Definitely go with the Mogami over Atago without question.

[PAT]
Members
9 posts
5,757 battles

Atago lacks DPM, AA, and needless to say, radar.

AA is important not so much for the occasional CV match as it is for sniping down spotter planes. This can be extremely useful team play by denying the enemy team spotting. DDs in particular stand to benefit from this kind of support.

The point is not that the Atago is a bad ship, it simply doesn't bring as many tools or advantages to the table. A good Atago player will make it work regardless.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,794 posts
7,968 battles
59 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

Atago lacks DPM, AA, and needless to say, radar.

AA is important not so much for the occasional CV match as it is for sniping down spotter planes. This can be extremely useful team play by denying the enemy team spotting. DDs in particular stand to benefit from this kind of support.

The point is not that the Atago is a bad ship, it simply doesn't bring as many tools or advantages to the table. A good Atago player will make it work regardless.

Well, a good enough player we'll do well in any reasonable ship, the question of "Is Atago a good ship?" shouldn't be "Can I do well in an Atago?" But rather "would I rather be in another ship?"

Members
35 posts
90 battles

I will, could care less about your game.

Atago is, imo, at it's best staying away from a fight. The ultimate counter puncher. In ranked you need boats that can, have the ability, to push. 

Atago can't do that, she gets [edited]wrecked.

But go on and play ur Atago...

Members
2,409 posts
7,726 battles

Nobody said that. What some players is that Atago isnt the best cruiser for ranked, what is true. Yet Atago is one of the best cruisers in the game.

Members
1,158 posts
6,939 battles

TBH, i thought about playing the ARP version of the Atago for ranked.  I can bring my captain down from my zao.  The other option is my 10 point mogami.  I pretty much ranked out only playing the cleveland last season. 

of course there is the 6 point captain on my bismark.  or if i want to play DDs, the kagero and kiev.(both 13 point captains.  will also be good for grinding them)  not sure what i want to play tbh.   the heal and torp angles on the atago are both great assets compared to other IJN CAs.

Sign in to follow this