Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

1911 Aachen Diesellinenschiff

9 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

The appearance of the Diesel engine prompted a design study by Aachen in 1911 for a Diesel powered battleship that could take advantage of the lack of boiler space needed for a steam-powered battleship and devote that space and tonnage to more and bigger weapons. 

This is the monster they came up with...

Blatt-2.jpg

arm.jpg

Details

Design Displacement - 24,500t

Length - 180m

Width - 27m

Depth - 8.2m

Armament - 6x2 305mm, 12x1 210mm, 16x1 88mm, 10x1 450mm torpedo tubes

Armor - 300mm belt, 300mm turret faces, 45mm main deck, 75mm turtleback, 45mm longitudinal bulkhead (Total armor was 10,440t or 40.5% of displacement)

Speed - More than 22kn

Powerplant - 8x Junkers Diesel engines (36,000hp)

Range - 9,000nm

Because the diesel engines could not be delivered by the time War broke out in 1914 the design was ultimately scrapped.

Just thought I'd share! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

4     this as a premium when? lol

12x 12" gun broadside AND 8.3" secondaries?? :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
2 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

8.3" secondaries is an odd choice. Lacks the rate of fire offered by the German's usual 5.9" guns.

Probably taking advantage of the lack of weight and space being taken up by the boilers. Though, I wonder if they'd have gone with the standard 15cm guns if they could have brought her protection closer to Kaiser levels. She kinda sacrifices protection for her extra firepower.

[VVV]
Members
2,421 posts
On 12/26/2017 at 9:55 PM, dseehafer said:

Probably taking advantage of the lack of weight and space being taken up by the boilers. Though, I wonder if they'd have gone with the standard 15cm guns if they could have brought her protection closer to Kaiser levels. She kinda sacrifices protection for her extra firepower.

You could also carry significantly more guns. The 21cm L/45 had nearly triple the weight of the 15cm L/45.

[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,818 battles

I'd think that 36,000 hp would be a bit on the weak side.  And, while it might save weight and space, on the downside would be supplying the fuel to run the ship given that Germany in WW 1 had a severe shortage of oil.

[VVV]
Members
2,421 posts
54 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

I'd think that 36,000 hp would be a bit on the weak side.  And, while it might save weight and space, on the downside would be supplying the fuel to run the ship given that Germany in WW 1 had a severe shortage of oil.

Kaiser and König had powerplants designed for 31000 horsepower so it seems like about right.

Sign in to follow this