You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AFKsinon

Akizuki Captain Skill Question

18 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
3,481 battles

Hi, I currently have an Akizuki captain with PM, LS, SE, CE and IFHE.  I'm planning on taking AR next but I'm just wondering for the final 3-point skill would DE or BFT be better?  I'm thinking DE would compensate for fire chance lost to IFHE whilst BFT would be similar (more shots for more chances at fires) while improving her AP RoF a bit and adding to her AA as well.  Which would be better?

Thanks in advance!

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

There is supposed to be fires per minute and dpm calculator, but IDK where those went.

I think DE provides better, overall, fire starting capabilities.

You really cannot go wrong with either.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,390 battles

Take DE you already got a great fire rate on the akizu, unless you run into planes alot

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,063 battles
1 hour ago, AFKsinon said:

Hi, I currently have an Akizuki captain with PM, LS, SE, CE and IFHE.  I'm planning on taking AR next but I'm just wondering for the final 3-point skill would DE or BFT be better?  I'm thinking DE would compensate for fire chance lost to IFHE whilst BFT would be similar (more shots for more chances at fires) while improving her AP RoF a bit and adding to her AA as well.  Which would be better?

Thanks in advance!

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,367 battles

I've read all kinds of advice on this ship even before I had it because I started with harekaze.  I can safely say, after playing without for a few  months, then finally respec'ing to take IFHE I am not seeing what all the fuss is about.  I swapped my build back to not taking IFHE.   In 300 some battles with the 100mm guns on both Hari and Akizuki, I can count on one hand the amount of times I felt needed it and that it could've really changed the outcome.  It seems incredibly rare in the randoms that I've played, that other T8+ DDs actually stay bow on to me for any period of time that I have trouble dealing damage to them.   They all want their broadside gun blasts and get impatient.  If not, torps right up the middle will make them turn.   Then i immediately start flinging AP again.  100mm AP can take down damn near anything in a pretty short time given the extended opportunity.  A bismark for instance... smoke up 11-10km away, and start slinging AP at the superstructure.  Unbelievable when you start seeing 2000hp per volley.   Maybe you don't kill it, but you can rack up 30-40k damage just like that, and retreat.   Thats how I've found success anyway, and I didn't need IFHE to do it.  

I say, try out that AP and use her without IFHE before you decide that its as necessary as people here will tell you.

My build, its an AA build: 

PT, LS, BFT, CE, AFT , MFCAA, IFA  in that order. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,693 battles
4 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

I've read all kinds of advice on this ship even before I had it because I started with harekaze.  I can safely say, after playing without for a few  months, then finally respec'ing to take IFHE I am not seeing what all the fuss is about.  I swapped my build back to not taking IFHE.   In 300 some battles with the 100mm guns on both Hari and Akizuki, I can count on one hand the amount of times I felt needed it and that it could've really changed the outcome.  It seems incredibly rare in the randoms that I've played, that other T8+ DDs actually stay bow on to me for any period of time that I have trouble dealing damage to them.   They all want their broadside gun blasts and get impatient.  If not, torps right up the middle will make them turn.   Then i immediately start flinging AP again.  100mm AP can take down damn near anything in a pretty short time given the extended opportunity.  A bismark for instance... smoke up 11-10km away, and start slinging AP at the superstructure.  Unbelievable when you start seeing 2000hp per volley.   Maybe you don't kill it, but you can rack up 30-40k damage just like that, and retreat.   Thats how I've found success anyway, and I didn't need IFHE to do it.  

I say, try out that AP and use her without IFHE before you decide that its as necessary as people here will tell you.

I currently have a 11-12 point captain, though only 10 are used. PM, LS, SE,  and CE. IFHE will come at 14 points. 
I've more or less come to the same conclusion, you're better off just keeping AP loaded. Poke at the DDs when they let you and flat out rip off chunks of HP from broadside BB and CL. 
However, and especially on uptiers, I've had far too many DDs angle away or simply run. Those that angle, especially angle in, flat out annihilate me. HE cannot pen, the AP bounces....meanwhile I eat HE to the face. I feel incredibly inadequate at uptiers, it's easier for me to target BBs and CL than DDs ironically. On downtiers however, with 23,200HP and 6.1km concealment she simply eats everything and those lower tier DDs can't do anything against your guns. So I do, infact, feel I need IFHE. It's simply a reliability issue that Flamu highlights and I completely understand. It's easy to tell, when you go from RU 152mm guns without IFHE to Hipper/Prinz guns that use the 1/4th rule on high tier BBs. Low damage or not, the KM guns get easy penetrations on everything and reliably do that damage, whereas the 152mms without IFHE simply shatter and set fires. 
It's entirely fine to play without IFHE, but for my purposes it appears quite needed.

Members
603 posts
7,106 battles
5 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

Interesting.

so far I have 300+ battles on both Akizuki and Harekaze. and I feel like I can't stand them without IFHE (both ship share the same captain and thus same build)

my HE and AP damage on both ship are fairly even. IFHE just give me more consistant damage especially against DD while AP punish any boardside target

I use a survival build on both ship and get a 68% survival rate on Akizuki and 75% on Harekaze.

I take 

PT, LS, SE, CE (for first 10 point)

IFHE, SI (up to 17 point)

PM, Expert loader (these 2 points are free use, I take these to prevent mod from breaking and switching from HE, AP quickly)

I see some people have success without SI. I simply can't do it, more than often I survive to the last minute and every consumable count to me

Members
50 posts
6,618 battles

Going without IFHE is possible but I’ve tried many games with and without and IFHE greatly increases the success rate in a knife fight. Switching back and forth with AP in a knife fight against a fletcher or gearing just accelerates your demise.  If you’re never uptiered then it doesn’t really matter.  

For ranked i dropped DE for SE since there aren’t as many B.B. to burn down  

An interesting build with EL.... but seems that reducing your ammo switching time from 3s to 1.5s would be a worse trade than AR which is useful for accelerating your guns and torps.   

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles
16 hours ago, SkyRail said:

PM, Expert loader (these 2 points are free use, I take these to prevent mod from breaking and switching from HE, AP quickly)

I can see the PM but the reload time is so short I can't really see the advantage of expert loader (unless it is just the best of the worst remaining 1 pt skills)

IFHE helps as it makes it less mandatory to change shell types in a knife fight. A knife fighting DD can be constantly changing facing to you so you will usually have the wrong ammo loaded for a salvo or two. By the time you see he is actually going broadside (say to launch torps) he is already turning back so your AP shells may bounce. (if his is not wiggling, by all means shoot AP!)

I agree with robotdaddy that AR might be a better use of 2 points. Not sure PM is worth effectively being a 2 pt skill. A suggestion might be to take PM instead of PT first. If you are spotted, just assume everyone wants to shoot at you.

I have never had EL on a ship. Can it be abused to actually increase your rate of fire by switching shell types?

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,030 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I have never had EL on a ship. Can it be abused to actually increase your rate of fire by switching shell types?

I don't think so as it only applies after the guns are loaded.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles
18 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I don't think so as it only applies after the guns are loaded.

Which really makes it useless (at least a very sub-par option) on any ship with a fast reload.

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,030 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

Which really makes it useless (at least a very sub-par option) on any ship with a fast reload.

That is my assessment.

For me, it is either the 3rd or 4th 1-point skill I would get.  And I doubt I will have more than 2 1-point skills as I find the other skills more useful.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles

Even on a BB it seems questionable. You have HE loaded and spot a juicy broadside cruiser. Seems like the bird-in-hand principle would apply. Shoot with what you got loaded and load AP for your next shot. Very rare circumstances where losing a volley is worth another shot taken in 15 (vs 30) seconds.

Members
603 posts
7,106 battles
5 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I can see the PM but the reload time is so short I can't really see the advantage of expert loader (unless it is just the best of the worst remaining 1 pt skills)

IFHE helps as it makes it less mandatory to change shell types in a knife fight. A knife fighting DD can be constantly changing facing to you so you will usually have the wrong ammo loaded for a salvo or two. By the time you see he is actually going broadside (say to launch torps) he is already turning back so your AP shells may bounce. (if his is not wiggling, by all means shoot AP!)

I agree with robotdaddy that AR might be a better use of 2 points. Not sure PM is worth effectively being a 2 pt skill. A suggestion might be to take PM instead of PT first. If you are spotted, just assume everyone wants to shoot at you.

AR is another possible take. but since I prefer PM, I have 1 extra point to spare. Then I look at all 1 points skill, there is not any good skill left other than EL, and that's why I take it.

you don't actually need EL at all, 3 sec is short enough to switch ammo.

The reason I prefer PM than AR is that any broke module will limit my ability to fight / escape even with last stand. I just want my ship to last every possible second.

PT is another argueable take. you can drop it if you assume people gonna shoot at you once you spotted or you have super good situation awareness. I didn't have PT on my Kagero and still had success.

but PT give extra information and help me to decide to smoke up or not. some times I purposly open fire to draw attention so I can save a teammate. 

by having PT, I know a little bit sooner if more than 1 people are targeting at me or not.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

I run the Flamu build (see video above).  This ship is one of my for-fun go-to's.  It seems there are a lot of players who don't respect her potential, and assume all IJN DD's are weak with guns.  Enemy DD's will still push in, I guess expecting to bully that little IJN DD out of a cap or whatever.  Pfffft!  Akizuki ain't no joke.  I have proven that to enemy DD captains on numerous occasions!

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,075 battles

I have run multiple builds on Akizuki and IFHE is very beneficial IF you also have Demo Expert. Those 100 mm HE shells just do much without being able to set fires. 

Its funny how many players screamed that this ship would be ruined by the removal of stealth firing... lulz. 

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,693 battles
3 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I have run multiple builds on Akizuki and IFHE is very beneficial IF you also have Demo Expert. Those 100 mm HE shells just do much without being able to set fires. 

Its funny how many players screamed that this ship would be ruined by the removal of stealth firing... lulz. 

Working on IFHE, on 12 points now and closing, meantime here's a largely AP match for what Akizuki can do ;)
shot_17_12_29_09_03_00_0788.jpg
shot_17_12_29_09_03_14_0517.jpg

• Cool 1