You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rogue_Woodchuck

RADAR is line of sight only...

76 comments in this topic

[ECCHI]
[ECCHI]
Members
98 posts
5,790 battles

....and until WoWS figures that out, it's wrecking the game.

Until you can figure out how to compensate for that basic law of physics (the inability of sound waves to penetrate stone at those frequencies) , you should pull radar out of the game.  Until then, it's just arcade-level.

Just MHO

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,916 battles

Well this is an arcade game not a simulator game . That said yes it is silly that radar and hydro-acoustic's work thru islands . But having played this game since the Closed Beta Weekends and still enjoying it I guess I have just learned to put up with it .

• Cool 2

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles

Wows is an arcade game? I never knew. Here I thought healing 20% of your health, instantly making fires and flood disappear, ships popping in and out of view at 6km away, reloading torpedo tubes while pulling high speed evasive maneuvers in 2 minutes or less etc etc etc was all a direct simulation of naval combat in real life. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,937 posts
7,508 battles

Normally, I really don't care about radar, but for some reason, it's making this ranked season pure hell. With all those cruisers having it, plus the special mod, and who knows who has it until you get lit for what feels like forever, it's just...hell.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I agree..

Peeps back in the day would say that is can't be changed due to the game engine.

I've never really believed that. More than likely they heard someone say it and are repeating it as fact.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,692 battles
26 minutes ago, Rogue_Woodchuck said:

Until you can figure out how to compensate for that basic law of physics (the inability of sound waves to penetrate stone at those frequencies) , you should pull radar out of the game.  Until then, it's just arcade-level.

Just MHO

This is just silly on a couple of levels.

1. RADAR is NOT based on sound waves.  It's based on radio waves.

2.  RADAR does NOT "wreck" the game because it doesn't follow the basic laws of physics.  It may reduce one's immersion in the game for radar to not function in a more realistic manner, but that's a far cry from "wrecking the game"!

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,692 battles
20 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Normally, I really don't care about radar, but for some reason, it's making this ranked season pure hell. With all those cruisers having it, plus the special mod, and who knows who has it until you get lit for what feels like forever, it's just...hell.

1.  This hasn't been my experience.  Radar has had very little effect on my play in my DDs.  This isn't to say that I haven't been lit up on occasion, but I've never been killed as a result of it.  Not once.

2. Who knows who has it...?  Jeez, this is good WoWS play 101.  Learn which ships can carry radar at tier 8.  There are only 3 cruisers and 1 DD that might carry it.  New Orleans, Chapeyev, and Edinborough, and the PA DD Hsienyang.  Of those, I don't expect the Edinborough to give up its smoke for radar, though I don't know for sure until I see the Edinb. use a smoke.  Also, the Hsienyang has to make the same smoke or radar choice, and from my experience, I think most Hsienyang players prefer  keeping their smoke, but there are no guarantees.  That leaves the New Orleans and the Chappy, both of which I fully expect to have radar.  However, the Chappy is squishy as hell and its strength is its accurate, long range, fast firing guns, and coming in close enough to use its radar is a big risk, unless there's some island it can hide behind.  

Anyways, know which ships can mount radar, and do your best to keep track of where they are.  And if you don't know that, then playing your DD cautiously is extremely important.  Don't go blindly into an area where you can't see an enemy cruiser from a good distance.  C cap on Mountain Range for example.  Charging into C early can just get your DD spanked because you likely won't see a radar cruiser closing on the cap because he'll use an island to mask his approach.

Play smart and cautiously when radar is a possibility and things become a lot easier, or at least, safer.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,619 posts
9,014 battles
43 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

I agree..

Peeps back in the day would say that is can't be changed due to the game engine.

I've never really believed that. More than likely they heard someone say it and are repeating it as fact.

Not so much that it can't be changed but that they would have to find another way to make both radar and hydro to work. The current system simply extends the assured detection distance which is a simple and easy way to get it in the game where any other method would be much more complicated and prone to problems.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,589 battles

I believe they have it working just the way they intended

it's more the stop the sniper sitting behind Islands waiting for enemies to pop up and camping and that's what they want

It moves the game long faster

Keeps the ships moving

Edited by silverdahc

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,043 battles
1 hour ago, Rogue_Woodchuck said:

Just MHO

Long time ago, people complained DDs are wrecking the game by hiding in smoke and behind islands to ambush. Then radar was added, now radar ends up wrecking the game. 

WOWS isn't simulation and it's more or less like a Pokemon game. 

[SOFW]
Members
332 posts

Don't forget torpedo bombers can launch torps 50 meters away from shore too!  I keep telling myself its just a game but the frustration doesn't go away.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,611 battles
On 12/26/2017 at 4:19 PM, Rogue_Woodchuck said:

Just MHO

The tears of DDs/Cruisers are one of the few enjoyable aspects of this game as of late.

Here's the reality. Radar needs to be put on, well pretty much all ships tier 5+.  DD drivers are just whining that they cannot hide like talentless CODDip$h!tters to farm kills rather than do what they are supposed to - engage other DDs and light the enemy for their allies.   Theyve had, since beta, no citadels to worry about, HE that can burn any ship to the waterline regardless of perks/equipment, nonsense cloaking abilities, and of course infinite reloads for torpedoes that never suffer RNG of any kind that come complete with an aimbot to cap off the total lack of skill required for their (To quote Eurobeat) underage boat nonsense.

If DDs want radar to not see through islands, then they should be willing to lose their infini-reload torps and their cancerous HE capability. In the name of balance, of course.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
1,023 posts
3,549 battles

The only people who defend it are the people who benefit from it. Everybody else---not so much. IDK about wrecking the game, but it certainly does wreck one's enjoyment of it---unless of course you are one of those said people. My problem isnt that it isnt realistic. There are many things about the game that arent. Its that it promotes bad game play. Hiding behind an island just to use something that requires nothing from the player is bad game play.................

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,446 battles

If radar is to be LoS, the only cruiser in the game that can even be remotely useful is Chappy.

Ergo, all the radar cruisers get chappy or DD style = radar range > concealment.

But some stupid radar cruisers have awful concealment = Hello 12~15km LoS radar

DDs then complain about the radar range and cruisers that can stay hidden anyways

Back to square one

[S0L0]
Members
54 posts
4,356 battles

It may have been a challenge for ships of this era, but technically radar is not purely line of sight.  Signals that operated in HF could be "Bounced" different layers of the atmosphere to provide images beyond LOS.   Its not much more far fetched then thinking torpedo tubes could be reloaded in a minute.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
1 hour ago, TorpSandwich said:

It may have been a challenge for ships of this era, but technically radar is not purely line of sight.  Signals that operated in HF could be "Bounced" different layers of the atmosphere to provide images beyond LOS.   Its not much more far fetched then thinking torpedo tubes could be reloaded in a minute.

"could be" being the operative words. Radar propagation became predictable based on atmospheric conditions, but that was vertical, not horizontal, and never "around" obstacles, and never controllable. You could make a torpedo tube that could be reloaded in a minute. you can't change physics.

Both however, are ridiculous. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, YukonHunter said:

The tears of DDs/Cruisers are one of the few enjoyable aspects of this game as of late.

Here's the reality. Radar needs to be put on, well pretty much all ships tier 5+.  DD drivers are just whining that they cannot hide like talentless CODDip$h!tters to farm kills rather than do what they are supposed to - engage other DDs and light the enemy for their allies.   Theyve had, since beta, no citadels to worry about, HE that can burn any ship to the waterline regardless of perks/equipment, nonsense cloaking abilities, and of course infinite reloads for torpedoes that never suffer RNG of any kind that come complete with an aimbot to cap off the total lack of skill required for their (To quote Eurobeat) underage boat nonsense.

If DDs want radar to not see through islands, then they should be willing to lose their infini-reload torps and their cancerous HE capability. In the name of balance, of course.

Great impassioned speech. A nice rant.

Not at all accurate. Not at all persuasive.

• Boring 1

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,611 battles
22 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Great impassioned speech. A nice rant.

Not at all accurate. Not at all persuasive.

As I said - the tears of CODD!p$h!tters are delicious when that radar comes on. :D  Some long overdue payback, actually.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
19 minutes ago, YukonHunter said:

As I said - the tears of CODD!p$h!tters are delicious when that radar comes on. :D  Some long overdue payback, actually.

The need to  call people "sh1tters" because they play the game differently than you, blaming them and needing "payback"...well...that's nice.

Beta Testers
47 posts
2,279 battles

The problem with the concept of Radar in this game is that it is a feature designed specifically to counter one of the biggest points of the meta- vision control. Literally, DDs won't bother to spot or fight other DDs if they just get consistently lit up, if you put radar on every ship from T5 on up. You've removed them from doing anything effective if that's the case. And since cruisers can burn DDs down right quick and in a hurry when they're caught flat footed, you just relegated DDs to be really crappy gunboat cruisers that occasionally can drop torps on you. It makes no sense from a game design perspective. Arcade and all that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to destroy radar antenna like they were modules... but I am biased, since I spent my military career fixing them, and let me tell you, they can break for the slightest reason. Or be out of alignment. Or some lackwit controlling traffic forgot to turn the brightness knob on his indicator up. Or you looked at them funny.... 

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,611 battles
25 minutes ago, Thornir said:

The need to  call people "sh1tters" because they play the game differently than you, blaming them and needing "payback"...well...that's nice.

Yea, funny what happens when the *extreme vast amount of the time* the play i see from DD drivers is the purest of garbage, while at the same time the *equally extreme vast amount of the time* These same players that have the most OP class in the game are whining about BBs being OP when, hint hint, they aint.  One tends to lose all respect for the class, period.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles

Well. You're response is completely justified then.

Enjoy.

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
On 12/26/2017 at 7:31 PM, BrushWolf said:

Not so much that it can't be changed but that they would have to find another way to make both radar and hydro to work. The current system simply extends the assured detection distance which is a simple and easy way to get it in the game where any other method would be much more complicated and prone to problems.

You mean complicated like the normal line of sight mechanics?

Copying that seems a pretty simple and easy way to get radar that's more realistic and challenging to use into the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,619 posts
9,014 battles
24 minutes ago, Jarink said:

You mean complicated like the normal line of sight mechanics?

Copying that seems a pretty simple and easy way to get radar that's more realistic and challenging to use into the game.

They would need to completely redo how radar and hydro works to bring line of site into the calculations and it isn't simple. That sounds like a lot of work for sim level radar/hydro in an arcade game.