You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

WoWs player trying out for the NFL...

48 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles

General Manager for an NFL team - "So you want to try out for a QB position?"

Rookie QB - "Yes."

General Manager - "Says here that you have played 50 games in college with a 3-47 (win/loss) record throwing only 20 touchdown passes, 60 interceptions, 25 forced fumbles and averaging only 120 yards throwing per game and NEGATIVE 4 yards rushing per game."

Rookie QB - "That's right, but stats don't mean anything.  I go after the objective."

General Manager - "Isn't the objective winning?"

Rookie QB - "Yeah, and we'd win if I had support."

General Manager - "But your team had one of the strongest offensive lines in college during your tenure."

Rookie QB - "True, but I was referring to the fans, and the grass was beat up in a few places, and the locker rooms could use a makeover, and that damned mascot distracts me, as well as those cheerleaders. Oh and speaking of cheerleaders, did I mention I'm always cheering on the defense when we're on the sidelines?  You don't see all that in the stats do ya?  Do ya?  Didn't think so."

General Manager - "Says here you missed a semester playing due to being on academic probation.  I need a player smart enough to memorize the entire playbook, analyze videotape, know when to call audibles, and direct the team accordingly while on the field."

Rookie QB - "Those professors are nothing but stat wh*res with those grades and stuff.  Means nothing.  All my professors live in their parents' basements with the shades drawn, doors locked and living on pre-sweetened marshmallows and Mt. Dew."

General Manager - "But we're pretty fanatical about stats here.  They tell us where we are strong, where there are opportunities to improve, where we've been and trends we can use to help forecast the future not just of our own performance but that of other teams and how we match up to them."

Rookie QB - "Do your parents tuck you into bed every night too... kid?"

• Cool 8
  • Funny 13
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 9
  • Angry 1

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,722 battles
13 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

I'm so confused. 

Think of the Rookie QB as the casual player who plays for fun and thinks he knows everything about the game, then doesn't listen to advice others give him. Then when he loses a game, he blames his teammates for the loss instead of trying to improve himself.

Edited by Lightninger
  • Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, Lightninger said:

Think of the Rookie QB as the casual player who plays for fun and thinks he knows everything about the game, then doesn't listen to advice others give him. Then when he loses a game, he blames his teammates for the loss instead of trying to improve himself.

I like your version better. 

• Cool 1

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,722 battles
2 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

I like your version better. 

I'm guessing you don't know too much about (American) football?

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I did understand the reference. Not sure I understood the point. It was a long way around something that is both beaten to death and not generally applicable to the forum audience- by a guy who should know this. 

It just gets old. Not to mention the fact that it seems aimed at the older crowd with the "kid" nonsense. 

I'm confident that while a little slower to excel at the game much of the older crowd take improving at the game more seriously than many others even if their starting point is lower. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
1,836 battles

OP thinks he is edgy and hardcore for his attitude.

Yes, those who don't try to improve and consistently do things that are actively stupid are annoying.  Welcome to online gaming, your concern is noted, please take a ticket.

He is also on a rant against what he stupidly perceives society to be saying is desirable and instead is tilting at the windmills of his own imagination.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 3

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,896 posts
10,457 battles

Bro it's all about having fun. Apparently losing more than 50% of the time and being useless in general is fun. Who knew?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,712 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Bro it's all about having fun. Apparently losing more than 50% of the time and being useless in general is fun. Who knew?

If you dont know you suck, its fun. 

• Funny 3

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
716 posts

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/toxic-relationships/201709/how-spot-narcissistic-abuse

Malignant Narcissism and Sociopathy
Someone with more narcissistic traits who behaves in a malicious, hostile manner is considered to have “malignant narcissism.” Malignant narcissists aren’t bothered by guilt. They can be sadistic and take pleasure in inflicting pain. They can be so competitive and unprincipled that they engage in anti-social behavior. Paranoia puts them in a defensive-attack mode as a means of self-protection.

Malignant narcissism can resemble sociopathy. Sociopaths have malformed or damaged brains. They display narcissistic traits, but not all narcissists are sociopathic. Their motivations differ. Whereas narcissists prop up an ideal persona to be admired, sociopaths change who they are in order to achieve their self-serving agenda. They need to win at all costs and think nothing of breaking social norms and laws. They don’t attach to people as narcissists do. Narcissists don’t want to be abandoned. They’re codependent on others’ approval, but sociopaths can easily walk away from relationships that don’t serve them. Although some narcissists will occasionally plot to obtain their objectives, they’re usually more reactive than sociopaths, who coldly calculate their plans.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,454 posts
2,405 battles

Oooo.  So many big words.  You must be smart, eh?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,787 posts
14,062 battles

So what's the "message" for lack of another term supposed to be? Treat WoWs, a GAME, like it's our job/profession?

5a433be43f6c2_DDlaugh.gif.92cfaa951302f3c51b2f0f959cb56228.gif

• Funny 2

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Whilst this is very true of the average stats denier on these forums, and gave me a chuckle, remember that the average WoWs player treats a gaming session about as seriously as a fishing trip, rather than a pro game.

They don't regard fishing as competitive: it is more a chance to hang out and drink beer. Catch more fish than the next guy? That's cool, but they can have fun if they don't catch anything.

WoWs mixes the casual "kick the footy around in the park with the kids"  folk and the super competitive serious players in the same division. And the former are the majority.  Given the slow paced nature of the game (it's not exactly CS) and the average player age (older Dads) that is not unexpected.

WoWs is, gaming wise, similar to pub darts.  There is a competitive scene and players who are pro; but it's pretty limited: 99% of darts players are just there to hang out.

My issue is the players who claim they don't care (but then post long rants proving they do) or who absolve themselves of all blame for losses but take credit for wins; supporting their arguments with anecdotal evidence, marked bias and a complete lack of logic (math says I'm bad so math is wrong!) - they annoy me.

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
8,126 battles
14 hours ago, VGLance said:

General Manager for an NFL team - "So you want to try out for a QB position?"

Rookie QB - "Yes."

General Manager - "Says here that you have played 50 games in college with a 3-47 (win/loss) record throwing only 20 touchdown passes, 60 interceptions, 25 forced fumbles and averaging only 120 yards throwing per game and NEGATIVE 4 yards rushing per game."

Rookie QB - "That's right, but stats don't mean anything.  I go after the objective."

General Manager - "Isn't the objective winning?"

Rookie QB - "Yeah, and we'd win if I had support."

General Manager - "But your team had one of the strongest offensive lines in college during your tenure."

Rookie QB - "True, but I was referring to the fans, and the grass was beat up in a few places, and the locker rooms could use a makeover, and that damned mascot distracts me, as well as those cheerleaders. Oh and speaking of cheerleaders, did I mention I'm always cheering on the defense when we're on the sidelines?  You don't see all that in the stats do ya?  Do ya?  Didn't think so."

General Manager - "Says here you missed a semester playing due to being on academic probation.  I need a player smart enough to memorize the entire playbook, analyze videotape, know when to call audibles, and direct the team accordingly while on the field."

Rookie QB - "Those professors are nothing but stat wh*res with those grades and stuff.  Means nothing.  All my professors live in their parents' basements with the shades drawn, doors locked and living on pre-sweetened marshmallows and Mt. Dew."

General Manager - "But we're pretty fanatical about stats here.  They tell us where we are strong, where there are opportunities to improve, where we've been and trends we can use to help forecast the future not just of our own performance but that of other teams and how we match up to them."

Rookie QB - "Do your parents tuck you into bed every night too... kid?"

Gotta love when people write little fantasies for themselves where they get to be both sides of the argument, so they can prove their point.    Kinda like watching my little sister play with her Barbies back in the day.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
8,126 battles
9 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/toxic-relationships/201709/how-spot-narcissistic-abuse

Malignant Narcissism and Sociopathy
Someone with more narcissistic traits who behaves in a malicious, hostile manner is considered to have “malignant narcissism.” Malignant narcissists aren’t bothered by guilt. They can be sadistic and take pleasure in inflicting pain. They can be so competitive and unprincipled that they engage in anti-social behavior. Paranoia puts them in a defensive-attack mode as a means of self-protection.

Malignant narcissism can resemble sociopathy. Sociopaths have malformed or damaged brains. They display narcissistic traits, but not all narcissists are sociopathic. Their motivations differ. Whereas narcissists prop up an ideal persona to be admired, sociopaths change who they are in order to achieve their self-serving agenda. They need to win at all costs and think nothing of breaking social norms and laws. They don’t attach to people as narcissists do. Narcissists don’t want to be abandoned. They’re codependent on others’ approval, but sociopaths can easily walk away from relationships that don’t serve them. Although some narcissists will occasionally plot to obtain their objectives, they’re usually more reactive than sociopaths, who coldly calculate their plans.

I think the OP's post is lame, but...  that article you linked has so much wrong it boggles me.

Just for the record, personality disorders describe a continuum of traits, most people tend to have several of the traits involved, but not as somebody classed as having the disorder, and very few people actually have all the traits.   Most people have some autistic traits, but there are upwards of 20 traits, and being "autistic" generally requires upwards of 14 traits to confer the diagnosis.

And I seriously question the malformed brain crap.

I had to raise an eyebrow with this post, too. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,712 battles
1 minute ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

Rookie QB or Colin Kaepernick?  

Dont go there.