You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ZARDOZ_II

IJN DD Tree split. Which way to go first?

30 comments in this topic

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,143 battles

So I'm slowly progressing up the IJN DD line.  Now I've come to that fork in the road where I can either get the Minekaze or the Mutsuki.  Not sure which line to start on first.  I'd welcome any good advice here.  I know the Minekaze line doesn't go to T10, but given how low I am at the moment that's not a priority.  I will eventually unlock both.  Just wondering which I should do first.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Members
472 posts
12,489 battles

IJN DDs have become the poor step children of DDs. Everything now out guns you. Many of them have almost as good concealment. Your torps can be spotted for miles. I would play any other line before the ijn, but if I had to pick one I'd say the german line.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

The lines remain very similar at tiers 5, 6 and 7.  Those are all pretty standard IJN DD's.  High concealment.  Long-range, high-damage torpedoes.  Minimal AA defense.  Guns that are only situationally useful.

The Shimakaze line continues this trend all the way to tier 10.  The Shimakaze is the most powerful standard IJN DD, but is nonetheless standard.  If you like the torpedo ninja playstyle, it does that, just with tier 10 level firepower. 

The Akizuki line abuptly changes at tier 8.  The Akizuki is quite unique among DD's.  It's big, bulky and slow; it handles more like a light cruiser.  It's got only 4 torpedo tubes.  It's got 8 guns that reload tremendously fast and can outgun pretty much any other DD in game below tier 10.  It's also got strong AA and shoots down lots of planes.  It requires a kind of unique captain build because it can't damage many of the ships in its matchmaking bracket without the IFHE skill, which no other IJN DD would want.

I have both ships and do quite well in both of them.  I think they are fun to play.  Many posters on this forum feel that the torpedo boat line in general (and the Shimakaze in particular) are underpowered.  I'm somewhat inclined to agree, though I don't feel they are as bad off as many make them out to be.  Akizuki is unique and quite effective once you get the hang of it, and is also among my favorite ships.

Edited by Vaidency

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles
19 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

So I'm slowly progressing up the IJN DD line.  Now I've come to that fork in the road where I can either get the Minekaze or the Mutsuki.  Not sure which line to start on first.  I'd welcome any good advice here.  I know the Minekaze line doesn't go to T10, but given how low I am at the moment that's not a priority.  I will eventually unlock both.  Just wondering which I should do first.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Both sides are fun.  The Fubuki at T6 w/ 2nd torps (10km range) is a blast at T6 and a keeper for me, although it's only a shell of it's former self...lotsa people will whine and complain about that fact.  Still a good boat that will make you coin.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Go for Akizuki, make all the USN, Russian, Chinese, and German destroyers who bullied you through Minekaze/Hatsuharu/Shiratsuyu cry with 4 second reloading 10cm guns.

Beta Testers
1,306 posts
6,556 battles

The tier 8 Akizuki has a very unique playstyle that revolves around absolutely being able to wreck most DDs she sees (usually with IFHE), in exchange for losing many key DD traits.

Aside from Akizuki, most of the IJN DDs play similarly.  They generally have the best in class stealth for their tier, with the alternate line being slightly better than the main line.  They also share relatively poor guns.
A major difference though is the main line get triple launches starting at tier 5, and keeps them until 7, whereas the alternate line only gets them at 6.   This is a disadvantage at tier 5, but an advantage at 6, where Fubuki gets 3 triples and Hatsuharu only gets two.   To put it simply, the main line has a slightly harder t5 experience, but a much easier tier 6 one.  Tier 7 is probably equal in required skill.

If you're new to DD play in general I would recommend the main line.  IJN DDs get a lot of hate these days, but they're not as weak as people might make them seem.  They do require tons of game and map knowledge to get the most out of, so if you rush up the tiers too fast you'll find yourself struggling.  My recommendation is the main line for ease.  Even if you don't like the Kagero and up, the Akatsuki is a great ship to play.  3x3 torps, 6 guns, and great speed makes her one of the most balanced IJN DDs out there.  Akizuki can always come later.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

What's not to like about the Kagero? Super low conceal, decent torps and the optional reload booster - though you do give up smoke but it IS worth it - and the end of the line is Shimakaze. If you go the other branch - currently - it stops at tier 8 and Akizuki.

Suppose you really enjoy the IJNDD life and want to go all the way to T10 when you reach the Akizuki. If you originally took her branch guess what? You get to grind t5 to t8 all over again in the main branch. Yup, four more ships to grind. 

Conversely, if you grind the original branch through T8 and decide to go forth, onward and upward, you have only two more ships until you reach Shimakaze. 

So it really is a choice between going to T10 (currently) or stopping at T8. 

Members
2,420 posts
7,736 battles

I recently got the Akizuki and IMo one of the best DDs in the game. But its a anti-DD ship. If you like to hunt DDs Akizuki is one of the best ships for that in the game. Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu were also very solid DDs. 

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,814 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Quit now and go Russian.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,556 battles

IJN DD's get alot of Crap from many players.. but the line is not bad at all.  Some are rather nice.

Fubuki/Akatsuki/Kagero/Yugumo/Shima   + Shira+Akizuki are all solid ships when played correctly.

If you want T10 and torp boats, go down main line.

If you want a Gun Boat IJN DD that takes a very specialized capt.  Go for the Akizuki.

Members
9,984 posts
13 minutes ago, Spyde said:

IJN DD's get alot of Crap from many players.. but the line is not bad at all.  Some are rather nice.

Fubuki/Akatsuki/Kagero/Yugumo/Shima   + Shira+Akizuki are all solid ships when played correctly.

If you want T10 and torp boats, go down main line.

If you want a Gun Boat IJN DD that takes a very specialized capt.  Go for the Akizuki.

If they are played correctly....:Smile_teethhappy:

IJN has a high skill floor and are punished for being spotted. Guns are very limited and most of their torps depend on easily distracted captains with a fixation on a single direction and speed.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,381 battles

Abandon the whole line, buy Harekaze and enjoy the best both lines have to offer, at the same time on one ship ;)  Never look back.  

That said, I have had them all except Shima.  I like yugumo for reasons I can't explain.  I like hatsuharu, I like akizuki.  

I disliked fubuki, akat, and kagero.  

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

They are all pretty good except the Minekaze but after that the "gunboat" side  does pretty good , except they are slower  all good torpedo boats  as well) adjust your tactics for their slowness. On the Torpedo side they are good except for the  Akatsukii(T7) IMO. Even it is not a bad boat , it just just the 2nd to the bottom , above the Minekaze.IMO

The Shiratsulu plays like the Kagero as does the Haratsulu, excpet they have slightly less concealment , all three good boats. The Fubuki with three torp launchers is a brawler with torpswhich are also long range as well.

Easy advice. Don't forget the Torpedoline has guns, and don't forget the gunboat line has torps. Really they are all torpedo boats , the major difference is the gunboat line is slower. The only true gunboat is the AkizukiT9

The Kagero, Harsulu and Shiratsulu are all stealth ninja topr killers, with the Kagero best becuase of her concealment . Use CE if possible or beeline to a 10 point to get it . 

Have not got Yugumo so can't comment on her yet.  And  the last gunboat Akizuki , I am putting off playing until after the Yugumo, becuase the play style is so alien to everything else.

Edited by Strachwitz666

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles

DOn't matter,  the IJN DDs are Garbage. take your pick, but I'd pick a whole new line , unless you are just grinding to complete them.

Akizuki is the best of them all, but it has a steep learning curve.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

If they are played correctly....:Smile_teethhappy:

IJN has a high skill floor and are punished for being spotted. Guns are very limited and most of their torps depend on easily distracted captains with a fixation on a single direction and speed.

I fail to understand why WG makes the IJN torpedoes the easiest to detect by far when a) historically they were quite stealthy b) it's the DD line's only useful weapon

I get more torpedo hits in the Mahan and Benson than I do with the Shiratsuyu (haven't ground out the Akizuki because I've about given up on the whole line)

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles
20 hours ago, Capt_Mexib said:

"Ye who enters the IJN DD gates, abandon all hope".

I think thats the Dante's quote.

It's actually Confucius who said that before he jumped into the river and that's why we have dragon boat festival today. /[edited]

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,044 posts
8,082 battles

I hear there is testing going on with Shima and DWT's.. it may one day be relevant again.

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles
4 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I hear there is testing going on with Shima and DWT's.. it may one day be relevant again.

so, a ship with garbage guns, great stealth for capping, can't  kill DDs in a knife fight,    not even close to being relevant.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[PNP]
Members
131 posts
9,571 battles
4 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Yeah, DWTs that ignore cruisers as well... a nerf if you ask me.