Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spud_butt

Help Needed Urgently !!

14 comments in this topic

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles

I have to decide whether to:

A) lower my standards so as to not be disappointed ever again, or

B ) eliminate standards entirely, so I don't get depressed as a result of constantly lowering them.

your thoughts and opinions would be hugely appreciated. maybe it would be better if this were in a poll? I just don't know.

thank you in advance.  not.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,157 battles

Well, ye may also hold others to a higher standard than yerself, and practice egregious curses upon them that fail ye. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,935 battles

I have found that B works better . Not good enough ( at least in my case ) but at least less angst is involved .

:Smile_unsure:

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
4 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Well, ye may also hold others to a higher standard than yerself, and practice egregious curses upon them that fail ye. 

that is already in use, extensively, and has proven to be both highly effective and fun. if I were to implement this even more, I would doubtlessly have to figure out clever ways to dodge the resulting questions, such as 'double standards, again?'

which up to this point, has always stumped me, as nobody ever seems satisfied with 'of course, it's easier for me that way!'

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,175 battles

You could always begin the "12 ounce curl" regimen about 15 minutes before you start campaigning. Of course, this regimen puts you in a mood such as you would have if you implemented B...

[NDA]
Supertester
957 posts
3,049 battles

I always find  drinking helps when it comes to standards. At least when dating.  Your mileage may vary if drinking during bote play.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,459 posts
8,119 battles

Eh, depends on what were talking about as to which option you should really go with. Some things, yeah, may need to lower your standards - like movies and TV.

Some things, like this game, best to drop any beyond those of your own performance as far as what you can control and improve as you can't fix the other 11 players on your team and being the only one trying to even play the objective.

Others - while I can't think of an example that won't break forum rules potentially, other than maybe intelligent, reasoned debate -

the-line-must.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

Uummm.  Hot Rum Toddy.   Dammit, I'm out of rum!  I wonder if I could stand a hot martini. 

VOTE:  Lower standards incrementally and stay sufficiently stewed not to care about the trend.  It's all downhill anyway.  [<=inconvenient truth]

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Uummm.  Hot Rum Toddy.   Dammit, I'm out of rum!  I wonder if I could stand a hot martini. 

VOTE:  Lower standards incrementally and stay sufficiently stewed not to care about the trend.  It's all downhill anyway.  [<=inconvenient truth]

the last of my Bacardi 151, and a carton of caramel swirl ice cream. I keep the Bacardi in the freezer, it won't freeze. dig a few holes in the ice cream, and dump some Bacardi in them. stir just enuff so it makes a slush.

start eating the ice cream, as you are waiting for the game to load. after about 1" of rum mixed with about 2" ice cream (~2 minutes focused consumption), the first of the ice cream migraines begins. ~ 5 minutes later, as you keep eating, you might realize the ice cream migraine is intensifying, but you don't care.

then the fun begins.

actually I was writing this systemically, not specifically relating to the game. anything that will work in the game, will probably work outrageously good in RL !! and if it doesn't, what could it hurt?

5 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Eh, depends on what were talking about as to which option you should really go with. Some things, yeah, may need to lower your standards - like movies and TV.

Some things, like this game, best to drop any beyond those of your own performance as far as what you can control and improve as you can't fix the other 11 players on your team and being the only one trying to even play the objective.

Others - while I can't think of an example that won't break forum rules potentially, other than maybe intelligent, reasoned debate -

intelligent, reasoned debate. in the forum. that is an awesomely awesome non-sequitur for sure. altho I must admit so far the responses are amazingly civil and constructive relative to what I have come to expect here in my favorite forum of all time!!  :o)

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
11 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

intelligent, reasoned debate. in the forum. that is an awesomely awesome non-sequitur for sure.

f82c7d304eae5a69c76e0f7e0e0da60e5636bf5c98894c82385a5ac88b25240e.jpg.8db9f7c194651e1687d3bda228df55c7.jpg

BTW, while Bacardi has stopped making 151, there are others that haven't.  Also, if you can find it, try Pusser's Rum Gunpowder Proof 109 proof, same as the original British Navy product.  Really good stuff.  For regular use, I favor Mt. Gay, usually Eclipse.  There are also some really good artisanal rums made in FL, LA, and TX.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,459 posts
8,119 battles
4 hours ago, not_acceptable said:

ntelligent, reasoned debate. in the forum. that is an awesomely awesome non-sequitur for sure. altho I must admit so far the responses are amazingly civil and constructive relative to what I have come to expect here in my favorite forum of all time!!  :o)

Actually, I meant in general, not simply the game or forum, although, plenty of times it certainly applies. I can't tell you how many debates in real life have left me banging my head on a wall because I say "give me a reason or the like your view point is right" and the reply simply ends up being effectively "because it is and your an idiot". Honestly though, I'd say compromise, which I suppose would be a part of this at the same time, would be the bigger issue as in most cases those who main a particular class understandably want theirs made better and the others worse, and most out of that lot won't bend or even try to see it from the other viewpoint.

We can be civil and constructive, at least some of us can, problem is were outnumbered by those who simply demand things be their way and resort to name calling, stat shaming, etc to anything or anyone that challenges their point of view which they have no defense for other than they want it. Or just behave as bullies and jerks to do so.

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,942 battles

Maintain your standards, remain true to them and live your life nobly. You are always going to be disappointed. However, it's better to be a disappointed hero than a disappointed coward. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
17 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I can't tell you how many debates in real life have left me banging my head on a wall because I say "give me a reason or the like your view point is right" and the reply simply ends up being effectively "because it is and your an idiot".

You just have to stop arguing with androids of the Left.  They share one almost-a-whole brain among them, and their final, killer response is, "Of course X is true.  Everyone thinks so."   (This is how Science had suddenly become a 'democratic' institution.)

Nary a dent to be made.  So sad.

The real problem is that many of these people hold advanced degrees...

Sign in to follow this