You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cave__Johnson

Suggestion: 7 man platoon season option in ranked

14 comments in this topic

[-BGM-]
Members
6 posts
16,982 battles

I suggested this in Reddit and the users who responded were thinking this was just clan wars reinvented.

The idea is that 7 man platoons could be created to play in ranked but you still have the option to play standard ranked as well. The idea was created because the clan I was in with 30 members over 2 months was unable to get a single game in. No more than 4 players would be up for a game at the same time and be able the play during time clan wars was offered as a lot were on the west coast.

This will require ranked as a game mode to run year round. Seasons and events would run as they always would and this would not allow you to earn rewards more than you would be able to normally. However, if you are one person and want to join a team or create your own you could much like mercenaries currently work in world of tanks clan wars and the limits to what ships could be selected would be limited to the parameters of the current ranked season. For example if you wanted to run a team with all dd's or CV's you could. This will also allow wargaming to see if certain ship configurations and line ups become too dominate in the game.  

• Bad 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

Ranked is about the individual, this would allow clans to dominate ranked when they have their own team based battles.

• Cool 1

Members
470 posts
12,442 battles
9 minutes ago, Cave__Johnson said:

How would they 'dominate' in a game mode any more than platoons do now in random? 

Is this a serious question? A division is 3 out of 12 players. What you are proposing is hand selecting 7 of 7...

[-TAB-]
Members
1,604 posts
5,168 battles
2 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

bad idea is a bad idea

and the same is equally true. it is what it is. what it was, what it is, and what it shall be.

drops keyboard.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,615 posts
9,014 battles
11 minutes ago, Cave__Johnson said:

How would they 'dominate' in a game mode any more than platoons do now in random? 

1 minute ago, Prothall said:

Is this a serious question? A division is 3 out of 12 players. What you are proposing is hand selecting 7 of 7...

This, seven players all on voice communication even if not even average skill will have a huge advantage over any team without any divisions. Now imagine this super division being made up of the best players on the server, people would be going back to port all the time.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,615 posts
9,014 battles
1 minute ago, Akeno017 said:

Team battles were removed, and you just summarised them.

Team battles are now clan wars.

[-BGM-]
Members
6 posts
16,982 battles

Ok, I fail to understand your point. 

16 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Right.

Elaborate. This takes the mob mentality out of randoms an allows the player a direct measure of control in terms of team composition. You may be aware of the gripe vs ranked currently is that it is randoms with 7 people and you can not even platoon in for reasons of balance but if you take away that issue by making it an exclusive of either standard format or 7 vs 7 Platoons.

Then on top of that if you find a team you like playing with you can form your own clan with them or add to an existing clan.

Members
470 posts
12,442 battles

You are still creating an uneven playing field. As ranked stands now, every player has to grind out wins based on being thrown together with random other players. By allowing hand selected teams you will give people free passes to rank 1 and eventually to Flint's that other players can never have. I agree that some form of team battle format should always be in place for those serious clans that enjoy coordinated battles, but you cannot apply that to ranked and lose the even playing field.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
18 minutes ago, Cave__Johnson said:

Ok, I fail to understand your point. 

Right.

Elaborate. This takes the mob mentality out of randoms an allows the player a direct measure of control in terms of team composition. You may be aware of the gripe vs ranked currently is that it is randoms with 7 people and you can not even platoon in for reasons of balance but if you take away that issue by making it an exclusive of either standard format or 7 vs 7 Platoons.

Then on top of that if you find a team you like playing with you can form your own clan with them or add to an existing clan.

What part of this aren't you getting?  All you've done is suggest clan battles, without the session time windows.

As for your initial post, if you couldn't get your clan to field a team and get in a single CB's battle, maybe the problem is with your clan.  And perhaps you should consider joining a more active one.

Ranked is all about the individual, NOT organized teams.  You put organized teams up against randomly selected groups of players and the  teams will kick butt if they have the slightest amount of  talent and comms.

In short, Ranked is NOT about organized teams, it's about the individual player.  And if your clan couldn't field a team during the entire clan battles season, find a new clan that can!!!

[-BGM-]
Members
6 posts
16,982 battles
9 hours ago, Prothall said:

You are still creating an uneven playing field. As ranked stands now, every player has to grind out wins based on being thrown together with random other players. By allowing hand selected teams you will give people free passes to rank 1 and eventually to Flint's that other players can never have. I agree that some form of team battle format should always be in place for those serious clans that enjoy coordinated battles, but you cannot apply that to ranked and lose the even playing field.

I agree. I was hoping there was appetite in the community to explore the playing field but looking at the results I can see that is just not the case.

I know that with low server numbers in off hours this set up would also be open to exploit by clans having a 'b' team they could play up against to game the system for wins as well. 

Perhaps removing the whole issue of ranked as well and developing this as a separate game mode but the idea of incorporating ranking into this was a means to generate an initial interest in the mode itself (large platoon game play). The current framework for clan wars falls short as it is limited to particular times and limited player counts. Ultimately what I was going for is bringing back the world of tanks team mode before they rolled out strongholds where anyone could join up and there were many teams that specialized in the game mode.

Also, the time commitment for ranked and any other non-standard game mode is finite. This game does need a more refined competitive mode that is more time accessible.

Cheers!

Edited by Cave__Johnson