You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KelLorien

Are cruisers fun to play?

28 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,462 battles

This isn't so much a "cruisers suck" complaint. Cruisers seem like the hardest class to play effectively and consistently, and I've hardly played cruisers enough to get good with them. However, even excluding games where I get Devastated after 2 minutes, I'm struggling to find any enjoyment out of cruisers in general. It doesn't seem like anything you get to do is enjoyable. BBs get to go for huge salvos and act like a threat on the map, DDs get to sneak and lay out skill walls. If you aren't playing an AA or radar cruiser (or even if you are) then your only purpose seems to be hiding around islands holding left click toward something until it burns to a crisp. It's just seems tedious. Even in videos from youtubers who are good at the game, it feels like the only entertainment you get as a cruiser is when some enemy player makes a stupid play and you can punish them. 

So, how do you make plays with a cruiser? Or, do you just have to sit back and pray the enemy doesn't aim for you instead of your battleships?

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
265 posts
4,389 battles

I feel like they are one of the hardest ship classes to get good at. You really have to make good use of islands to avoid being hit by all the big ships. If you don't have islands to hind behind you HAVE to stay mobile! Use your WASD hacks to dodge incoming fire. Stay at your max range in this case and rain down fire on slow BBs. Start fires and watch them burn.

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles

Well, cruisers can be very fun, and they are essential for the game. They are the balance between the speedy, lightly armored destroyers and slow, bulky battleships. Cruisers are supposed to protect enemy forces from destroyers. That effect you described with battleships and huge salvos, that's how a cruiser should be to a destroyer. I've always taken enjoyment in watching a destroyer melt away under my guns.

I always make plays based on what is around me, and that is what you have to do in a cruiser. If there are 3 battleships around the corner, hide behind and island, lay some torps and start burning them down without letting them get your broadside. If there are 2 destroyers, get your WASD hacks in gear and start blasting away. It all depends on whats around you. And I've found 1 cruiser alone can be blasted out of the water. 2 together are tougher. 3 together are a force to be reckoned with.

And always use your WASD hacks if there is a battleship anywhere that can shoot at you.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
561 posts
3,468 battles

It depends on which cruiser you're playing. I, personally like to kite in my cruisers, sail a predictable path slightly away and wait for BBs to fire on me, then slam on the brakes and turn hard away. I usually try to keep at least 12 km away for this to work. That's just one of my tactics I use.

The whole "cruisers suck" thing mostly comes from tier 8 cruisers having a brutal time in the suitability department. They will almost always be in a tier 10 game, and don't have that many hitpoints. Tier 10 cruisers get much more hitpoints, a better rate of fire, and a repair, so things, in my opinion, get better.

Edited by Stonehammers

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles
5 minutes ago, Stonehammers said:

It depends on which cruiser you're playing. I, personally like to kite in my cruisers, sail a predictable path slightly away and wait for BBs to fire on me, then slam on the brakes and turn hard away. I usually try to keep at least 12 km away for this to work. That's just one of my tactics I use.

Woah, don't give away all the super unicum strats in one post!

• Funny 1

Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles

OP take a cruiser like the KUMA. Great ship.  Fast firing. Unlike a BB where you can die and be buried before your guns reload Kuma pours out the shells. That, to me, is FUN. You also got great torps.  This kinda makes ya sorta, kinda, like a DD. It's fast.  Speed is fun. You get the best of both worlds in a ship like Kuma. I like action and cruisers give you that. Also, it's a HOOT to kill BBs with them and it can be done. Carry on.

[WAG]
Members
394 posts
7,575 battles

As a class, cruisers are my favorite, and I would like to think I am decent with them. Do consider that different cruisers play very differently, and you don't have to like or be good at all of them to be a cruiser player that enjoys playing the class. One thing though, I feel cruisers greatly benefit from high tier captains.

Personally, I prefer the Soviet and French long-range HE SPAM style play as optimized by the Kutuzov, Chapayev, Shchores, and Charles Martel. Stay at max range, dodge incoming shells, and never stop shooting.

I also have the US line through the Baltimore. I have these set up for maximum concealment, and hunt destroyers with radar.

The Germans I like at 5, 6, 9 and 10. I struggle with the slower reloads at 7 and 8. These ships have good AP, and don't need IFHE due to tier higher HE penetration. Their torpedo are a balance between the Soviet and the Japanese.

The Japanese can be played like big destroyers with their long range torpedoes. Not my favorite and haven't done the line past 4 since I have the tier 7 and 8 ARP ships.

I don't know how to play the UK cruisers. I tried and gave up at tier 6.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

There's a lot of variety between cruiser lines. People tend to like specific ones, rather than cruisers in general. So try a bunch and see if you can find one that you like!

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles

Cruisers, in my opinion, have the highest skill cap, and the lowest skill floor in the game.  This means that a good player will do far better than a bad player, all else being equal, then when comparing two identical good and bad players in BBs or DDs.

Cruisers have the highest DPM of any class in the game.  You also take the most damage in return, so you must play as such.  Your goal is to maximize the shells you can land, while positioning yourself to get hit as little as possible.  Unlike a BB who can take shells and shrug them off, or a DD who can dodge and rely on stealth, you have to rely on your positioning and awareness.  You don't have a "get out of jail free" card like other classes do.  If you get spotted in a bad position and begin being focused, you will die a fast and abrupt death.  Saying that, cruisers are also the most rewarding to play well.

If you can get into a decent position, and are left alone, you can farm damage off of any ship in the game.  Bow in BB?  HE to the superstructure and farm fires.  Anything showing broadside?  You can teach them that cruiser AP hurts just as much as BB AP does.  I've had some of my best, and most fun, games in cruisers.  I'd venture to say that a good cruiser has a far greater impact on the game than a good DD or a good BB.  The only other class that can have as large an impact would be a CV, and even then a AA spec'd cruiser will shut them down.  

Edited by XpliCT_PaiiN

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
97 posts
4,581 battles

I personally like playing cruiser's regaradless of playing them well. They are very situational, but when a match plays in your favor, any cruiser (except Krispy Kreme) can carry a good amount. Now just for fun, Atlanta and Minotaur (and hopefully the new US T10) are your best friends.

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

OP take a cruiser like the KUMA. Great ship.  Fast firing. Unlike a BB where you can die and be buried before your guns reload Kuma pours out the shells. That, to me, is FUN. You also got great torps.  This kinda makes ya sorta, kinda, like a DD. It's fast.  Speed is fun. You get the best of both worlds in a ship like Kuma. I like action and cruisers give you that. Also, it's a HOOT to kill BBs with them and it can be done. Carry on.

Yubari's a fun 'lil booger to play too. Her maneuverability's even more DDish than Kuma's and her guns are laser accurate. I just wish there was a choice between Defensive AA and Hydro because lack of hydro is all that prevents Yubari from being the perfect DD killer.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,507 battles

Cruisers are where you separate the men from the boys and where you find out who really knows their stuff.

I play cruisers because it is a challenge and IMHO probably the most balanced ship type in the game.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, KelLorien said:

This isn't so much a "cruisers suck" complaint. Cruisers seem like the hardest class to play effectively and consistently, and I've hardly played cruisers enough to get good with them. However, even excluding games where I get Devastated after 2 minutes, I'm struggling to find any enjoyment out of cruisers in general. It doesn't seem like anything you get to do is enjoyable. BBs get to go for huge salvos and act like a threat on the map, DDs get to sneak and lay out skill walls. If you aren't playing an AA or radar cruiser (or even if you are) then your only purpose seems to be hiding around islands holding left click toward something until it burns to a crisp. It's just seems tedious. Even in videos from youtubers who are good at the game, it feels like the only entertainment you get as a cruiser is when some enemy player makes a stupid play and you can punish them. 

So, how do you make plays with a cruiser? Or, do you just have to sit back and pray the enemy doesn't aim for you instead of your battleships?

Oh yes, they're fun. Un the Dwarf Fortress sense of the word.

2 hours ago, WolfmanJack99 said:

I feel like they are one of the hardest ship classes to get good at. You really have to make good use of islands to avoid being hit by all the big ships. If you don't have islands to hind behind you HAVE to stay mobile! Use your WASD hacks to dodge incoming fire. Stay at your max range in this case and rain down fire on slow BBs. Start fires and watch them burn.

This i'll agree on, of the classes i've played that use conventional mechanics, (i.e. i'm eliminating CV's here), they have IMO the highest skill floor.

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,939 battles

This isn't so much a "cruisers suck" complaint.  I'm struggling to find any enjoyment out of cruisers in general. It doesn't seem like anything you get to do is enjoyable. BBs get to go for huge salvos and act like a threat on the map, DDs get to sneak and lay out skill walls. Your only purpose seems to be hiding around islands holding left click toward something until it burns to a crisp. It's just seems tedious.

Agree completely with the OP.

Cruisers ARE the most boring class. They need a very defensive mindset. You must spend 99% of your time trying not to get deleted. The reliable guns and dpm kind add up damage like an afterthought. In most other classes you spend your time planning attacks; cruisers tend to spend their time avoiding them...

To be effective cruisers are generally

(a) kiting away at long range (12-13km+)

(b) camping behind an island (or in smoke)

So - kite or camp?

The damage also racks up consistently... but slowly. There is less spectacular "spike" damage (BB citadels, DD torpedoes). The most excitement is causing another fire after the BB triggered his damage control. Even that is "slow" damage over time.

Even the "close range" cruisers (British) specialize camping in smoke - acting more like a stationary engineer turret from a FPS than an actual ship. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

I think Cruisers and Destroyers are the most frustrating classes to play because they can be all or nothing far too often. DDs get a bit of reprieve because you can still cap and spot better than Cruisers can, but it isn't always the most fun.

This of course swaps when Carriers are present, with DDs getting the shorter end of the stick.

Carriers are the most frustrating because of how much mistakes can really hurt you.

Battleships have the most consistency, and that's part of what makes them so popular.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles

Well since getting Indianapolis I've been enjoying cruisers again.

<s> And of course it's 100% not because of radar. Just as all the radar proponents claim. </s>

Edited by AraAragami
  • Bad 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

Cruisers are where you separate the men from the boys and where you find out who really knows their stuff.

I play cruisers because it is a challenge and IMHO probably the most balanced ship type in the game.

I think this pretty much nails it right here. 

The only part of playing Cruiser I really hate is how punishing it is to take a stray Battleship shell. It's annoying to do everything right and still take such incredible punishment.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Well since getting Indianapolis I've been enjoying cruisers again.

<s> And of course it's 100% not because of radar. Just as all the radar proponents claim. </s>

I wouldn't say that 4 battles gives you the full experience. Get to 50 and share your experience, but I'm happy you like her so far.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, Madwolf05 said:

I wouldn't say that 4 battles gives you the full experience. Get to 50 and share your experience, but I'm happy you like her so far.

Yes. And when I have those 50 battles, you'll demand 100. And when I hit that, you'll say I need 500 to "really" understand.

I know how this game goes.

Not that I intend to stop playing Indianapolis, but get off your damn high horse.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles

I like cruisers because they are the most consistent and skill dependent class to play.  I have always hated playing BBs and DDs because of their inconsistency.   Not much is more frustrating than firing a spread of torps only to have the target in question make a random 90 degree turn to make every torp miss, or shooting at a broadside cruiser only to have your shells disperse all around it.  With cruisers, you fire HE at angled targets and do consistent damage, you fire AP at broadside targets and do consistent damage.  Your success is all about your ability to keep your guns firing.

I also feel cruisers are the ships least affected by MM.  When I play a DD I frantically look through the enemy team list for the ships that have radar or can out spot me, when I play a BB I look to see which ships can overmatch my bow, kill me with torp walls or burn me to a crisp.  When I'm in a cruiser, I just don't care.  I don't care about radar, I don't care about CVs, I don't care about BBs and their overmatch.  I just fire my guns and damage what I shoot at.  

Edited by yashma

Members
2,436 posts
7,746 battles

I enjoy playing cruisers a lot, i like the jack of all trades playstyle. And cruisers in general are very important to teams, you realize that when you are playing a BB or DD and  you dont have a cruiser near you. 

Cruisers are hard to play, they arent tanky as BBs or agile and stealth as DDs. One mistake and you might be dead. But i find this chalange to be fun. And also very rewarding in the end of a battle. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles
6 hours ago, KelLorien said:

Overall yes they are. A few stink but most are fun. Enjoy them immensely. Especially BRN CL's. 

[PSP]
Members
6,362 posts
8,983 battles

I think that cruisers are so difficult for some because they really aren't one ship type. While battleships and destroyers, being at the opposite ends of the gunship spectrum, play quite differently, cruisers may play more like battleships, more like destroyers, or somewhere in the middle. Also, you have both light and heavy cruisers, which play differently, as well as torpedo and non-torpedo cruisers, which also play differently. 

Some cruisers play like battleships, think of the Graf Spee here. Some are anti-aircraft and fire-support support ships, like the Cleveland. Others play like big destroyers and can even stealth fire torpedoes, like the Atago. Some are DD hunters. At its tier, the Emile Bertin is faster than the DDs! Some are hide-in-smoke ambushers, like the middle-tier British cruisers.

No matter what type of gameplay you are comfortable with, you will usually find a cruiser suited to it. The main problem people have in playing cruisers is assuming that all cruisers plays like "cruisers."   

Edited by Snargfargle

[INTEL]
Members
8,604 posts
25,771 battles

Cruisers were a lot more fun before the constant uptiering. But they can still be a ton of fun. I played Budyonny for the first time in a year the other day, and found it to be great fun. Then I got in a Leander and yolo'd a QE and a Scharn, and put down a DD for a pile of damage and the win. That was a blast. Kind of recaptured the joy of play before the T4 MM restrictions sucked the life out of T5 and T6.