You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Content_Insanity

Best Dubloon Ship(s)

30 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
5,792 battles

I have several premiums already-

Saipan, Alabama

Leningrad, Molotov, Ohotnik

Degrasse

Lo Yang

Blys

In addition I have a Bismarck with a secondary build, so Im on the fence about Tirpitz. 

I have right at 16k dubloons to spend on a new boat(s).

What are your recommendations and why?

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,630 battles
7 minutes ago, Content_Insanity said:

-snip

Save the doubloons and hopefully have enough to afford the Missouri before it leaves the premium shop.  

Mo is the best premium in the game for XP and Credits.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
12 minutes ago, Content_Insanity said:

Saipan, Alabama

Degrasse

Lo Yang

Blys

In addition I have a Bismarck with a secondary build, so Im on the fence about Tirpitz. 

Scharnhorst.  It's the most fun ship in the game.

Guilio Cesare - This ship will likely be banned in the future.  Get it now.  It's amazing.  Give Scharnhorst a run for its money in the fun factor.

Missouri - I think there's an XP conversion sale going on right now.  Use your doubloons to convert Free XP to get it before it leaves the shop.

Tirpitz is ok.  If you already have a Bismarck you're happy with, there's not enough justification to also get Tirpitz.

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
2,678 battles
Just now, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Save the doubloons and hopefully have enough to afford the Missouri before it leaves the premium shop.  

^ Agreed. If you want one of the best premium ships in the game and never want to worry about credits ever again, this is the route to go but it is also dependent on the free xp / elite xp you have on your account before the Mo is taken out of the game in the next month or two.

However, if you want something that you can use for operations, ranked, etc., Scharnhorst is a great affordable ship. As well, even though you have the Bismarck, the Tirpitz has great returns as well on her when played.

The guilio cesare will likely be removed from the game as it is a bit OP so that is the only really good tier 5 option as well and it is half off in the game.    

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles

Lemme define "best".  For a Premium, there are three qualities that I look for:

1. Is it competitive? 
    Is this a strong ship that performs well?
  2. Does it offer different game play?
    Does this ship offer some form of game play that's unique, challenging or novel?
  3. Is it fun?
    Pretty self explanatory, but your mileage may vary.

The "best" premiums are those that tick at least two of these three boxes.  Out of the extensive list of ships that are available now, I'll limit myself to those that tick all three:

Destroyers:  Okhotnik, Blyskawica
Cruisers:  Graf Spee, Atago,
Battleships:   Missouri (!), Scharnhorst, Warspite, Nelson (!), Giulio Cesare
Aircraft Carriers:  Kaga

(!) - These ships require free experience to purchase.  You can use your doubloons to convert free experience from elited (or premium) ships to acquire one of these.

Out of all of these listed, special attention should be made towards USS Missouri, which is (hands down) the best credit earner in the game bar none.  She will be retired very soon and it's uncertain at this stage if she will ever be returning.  If you're sitting upon a glut of doubloons and looking for a good ship to earn credits, you will find none better. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 3

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,084 posts
8,973 battles

I have the Nelson and MO.  I'm in the same boat of holding on doubloons now.  Scharn and Gelese I don't have,  Kaga, I don't think I can handle another CV.  Barely take my Saipan out. I'm too lazy on the strafing.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,588 battles

Since you have a Bismarck with a secondary build I would strongly consider the Scharnhorst. Your captain should drop right in. Once you get them to 19 points you then start getting elite captain XP to use for retraining or boosting other captains. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,924 battles

Scharnhorst. For the fun. Most other require some kind of work. With the Scharnhorst just sail around and print Reichsmark. Credit wise the Missouri and the Tirpitz are better. But it's hard to beat the fun you have with the Scharnhorst.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,904 battles
6 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Guilio Cesare - This ship will likely be banned in the future.  Get it now.  It's amazing.  Give Scharnhorst a run for its money in the fun factor.

+27 to that.  Get it in game ON SALE!!! for 2600 doubloons right now.  STEAL THAT SH*T before WG realizes what they've done and bans it like Nikolai, because it truly is the Nikolai of Tier 5.

• Cool 1

Members
21 posts
193 battles
7 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I don't see the Missouri anywhere in the shop.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles
4 minutes ago, ClarkWilhelmGriswold said:

Missouri is in the US tech tree.  Since it has to be purchased with Free XP (and 1 silver), it isn't sold in the on-line shop where you use a credit card for purchases.

Members
3,800 posts
14,098 battles

Just get whatever tickles your fancy. It doesn't have to have gimmicks and such, just something that you'll have fun with.

Members
21 posts
193 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

Missouri is in the US tech tree.  Since it has to be purchased with Free XP (and 1 silver), it isn't sold in the on-line shop where you use a credit card for purchases.

So it's 750,000 silver things.  I can see how many doubloons, and gold stars I have, but not how many silver ones I have.  Just how many I need lol.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
7 hours ago, Content_Insanity said:

Saipan, Alabama

Degrasse

Lo Yang

Blys

You indicate what you have but not what you're interested in or like to play. E.g. I love IJN DD style stealth torp play even though it's comparatively weak to other things. So for me, Harekaze was one of the best ships I've bought as far as satisfaction and return on money spent goes (although I don't think i'ts for dubloons).

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles
1 minute ago, ClarkWilhelmGriswold said:

So it's 750,000 silver things.  I can see how many doubloons, and gold stars I have, but not how many silver ones I have.  Just how many I need lol.

No, Missouri will cost you 750,000 Free XP.  In your port at the very top right, there is a green number with a gold star.  That is your Free XP balance.  Silver star XP is regular XP for a particular ship.

Members
21 posts
193 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

No, Missouri will cost you 750,000 Free XP.  In your port at the very top right, there is a green number with a gold star.  That is your Free XP balance.  Silver star XP is regular XP for a particular ship.

Thank you Desmo for the reply.

One last stupid question please.   The exchange of doubloons, what is that getting me?  Not the free xp I need correct.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
5 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I got one today. It also costs 1 silver for some reason. :cap_haloween:

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles
3 minutes ago, ClarkWilhelmGriswold said:

One last stupid question please.   The exchange of doubloons, what is that getting me?  Not the free xp I need correct.

Ships that you have fully researched become 'elite', and will have a silver wreath around their icons in port (premium ships have a gold wreath, or gold chain, around their icons).  If you play elite ships, you are still earning XP for that ship even though you have no additional modules to research.  You can use doubloons to convert 'ship XP' into 'Free XP'.

Free XP can be used on ANY ship to research modules for when you don't have enough 'ship XP' to do so.  Or, if you hoard enough of it you can buy a couple of Free XP ships, like Missouri or Nelson (in the British tech tree).

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,116 battles
1 hour ago, JochenHeiden said:

The Cesare has no gimmicks, it's just a sniping battering ram.

It's basically a Shiny Horse with no torps, less armor, and at T5. Both are a kick in the pants to play. The Gucci Caesar is a great ship. Only downside is that it doesn't have a tech tree to train captains for.

Edited by ZARDOZ_II
  • Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,630 battles
11 hours ago, ClarkWilhelmGriswold said:

You have to buy it in game for 750k free xp.  It is not in the premium shop, look in the tech tree.

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles

It is kind of hard to say what is best because so much is based on your personal playstyle.  For example I have both the Missouri and the Tripitz but tend to make more income on my Tripitz due to that ship being more comfortable for me to play and subsequently generally performing better in it.   Also despite the Belfast and Kutuzov supposedly being OP, I tend to do better with my Indianapolis.  Obviously I am probably more the exception than the rule when it comes to these ships but finding a ship your comfortable with and fits your playstyle is absolutely something to consider.

As for the ships I would recommend.

Missouri - Like people have said, probably objectively the best premium in the game and it will be leaving the game very soon maybe to never return or at least not returning any time soon.   The Cost is outrageous though, at least if you don't have a ton of Free XP already sitting on your account.

Tirpitz and Scharnhorst would be my second choice as both are excellent BBs.  Tirpitz is more conventional while the Scharnhorst plays more like a Supercruiser than a BB while having all the toughness of German BBs.   

Another one I love it the Dunkerque.  It is very unconventional but if you play it correctly, it is an absolutely beast. 

[PVE]
Members
9,791 posts
7,478 battles
12 hours ago, ClarkWilhelmGriswold said:

12 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Ships that you have fully researched become 'elite', and will have a silver wreath around their icons in port (premium ships have a gold wreath, or gold chain, around their icons).  If you play elite ships, you are still earning XP for that ship even though you have no additional modules to research.  You can use doubloons to convert 'ship XP' into 'Free XP'.

Free XP can be used on ANY ship to research modules for when you don't have enough 'ship XP' to do so.  Or, if you hoard enough of it you can buy a couple of Free XP ships, like Missouri or Nelson (in the British tech tree).

The main reasons people are saying get Missouri are it's credit earning potential (if you like T8+ play), the current 1:35 doubloon to FXP exchange and the fact that in Jan/Feb 2018, it will be leaving the tech tree for the T9 Musashi tech tree premium BB. Since the Missouri has been in the tech tree for about 2 yrs, Musashi may stay in the tech tree for 1-2 years and it could be that long before Missouri comes back. Musashi may have just a good credit earning potential, but we just don't know at this time.

If you do not like T8+ play, then Missouri may not be to your liking and you could get something else. If you like BBs, then T5 Giulio Cesare and T7 Sharnhorst are both good picks. T6 Graf Spee and T7 Atago are both good for cruisers. T5 Okhotnik is fun, but I have yet to figure out Blyskawica, but it is reported to be good.

Definitely check out LWM's reviews which are very good. She will give the stats and compare them to other ships. She will say why she likes it and how it compares to her gameplay and to other ships gameplay. So if you are not a unicum like LWM, I know I am not, you can get an idea if it will fit for you. She will also be the first to tell you to check other reviews as well, but IMO she is the best and the gold standard to be rated against for reviews. And her old avatar is a bouncy mesmerizing mess and oddly compelling. It is at the bottom of her posts.